Rift S or Quest 2 for casual ACC Racing

Associate
Ive just picked up a T300 race wheel and have Assetta Corsa Competizione.

Im not a serious gamer, probably and hour a day max but want to have a try with the VR headset without breaking the bank. Both the rift s and quest are my budget. Which would you go for? (being tethered to the pc does not bother me).

Thanks

Associate
Honestly I've ended up uninstalling ACC until something changes. It's possible to get it running OK but it looks awful, and it's possible to get it looking OK but it doesn't run great. I've had limited success turning refresh down down to 60Hz, and have tried all sorts of combinations of settings over the course of a few weeks. There's others on here who report better success but the nearest to a happy medium (for me) I've been able to manage just doesn't look very nice. I much prefer the original AC with SOL at 90Hz still. If there's some big patch that is designed to optimise things for VR, or a huge improvement on the driver side, I'll have another look.

Re Quest2 vs Rift, Quest every time. Rift is older and unsupported, unless you can pic up a real bargain I wouldn't consider it.

Associate
OP
Honestly I've ended up uninstalling ACC until something changes. It's possible to get it running OK but it looks awful, and it's possible to get it looking OK but it doesn't run great. I've had limited success turning refresh down down to 60Hz, and have tried all sorts of combinations of settings over the course of a few weeks. There's others on here who report better success but the nearest to a happy medium (for me) I've been able to manage just doesn't look very nice. I much prefer the original AC with SOL at 90Hz still. If there's some big patch that is designed to optimise things for VR, or a huge improvement on the driver side, I'll have another look.

Re Quest2 vs Rift, Quest every time. Rift is older and unsupported, unless you can pic up a real bargain I wouldn't consider it.
What racing game would you recommend?

Associate
I'd go with the older AC or AMS2. It's hard enough getting VR working in those. ACC, unless you can deal with 45fps reprojection (I can't, makes me feel sick if not 90fps) is just a really difficult prospect, even with a monster GPU.

Associate
What racing game would you recommend?

IMO:

AC with SOL mod. iRacing, PC2, AMS2 in descending order, based on performance in VR.
AMS2, PC2, AC with SOL, iRacing in descending order based on looks.

Whilst it definitely helps the experience if it looks nice, the ones that can run a solid 90fps are the ones I go back to.

Associate
Project Cars 2 is a very good VR experience. Not the best driving model, but the best VR implementation.

It definitely feels like a 'Made for VR' game. Or at least with some consideration for VR anyway. AC, whilst working well, is a pain to navigate menus etc. Content Manager helps, but that's not accessible in VR.

Associate
My favourite is AMS2. It's built on the PC2 engine but with a more realistic physics model. I play that and AC a lot in VR. Both on low to medium settings, 5 AI cars, mostly hot lapping. Hopefully if we can replace our 2070S with a 3080 we can bump up the cars and the Quest 2 render resolution.

Soldato
All depends on your hardware. To get the racing sims looking anywhere near decent on the Quest 2 you will need a beefy GPU.
Ive got the rift s and Quest 2 and the Rift S performs way better with a cable to the PC running racing sims.
Wireless is a different story and the Quest is just made for this :)

Associate
OP
All depends on your hardware. To get the racing sims looking anywhere near decent on the Quest 2 you will need a beefy GPU.
Ive got the rift s and Quest 2 and the Rift S performs way better with a cable to the PC running racing sims.
Wireless is a different story and the Quest is just made for this :)

Collected the Quest 2 yesterday.... it is amazing.

Project cars 2 and assetto run brilliant\ what a totally different experience in VR.

Ive got a Ryzen 3700x, Radeon 5700, 16gb ram

Soldato
Collected the Quest 2 yesterday.... it is amazing.

Project cars 2 and assetto run brilliant\ what a totally different experience in VR.

Ive got a Ryzen 3700x, Radeon 5700, 16gb ram

Great, good to see some positive response:) Pcars 2 really is something isn't it, a likeable game for many a reason. Give the Group C cars a go in VR on a track like Watkins Glen, you'll feel the power, it's an awesome combination.

Associate
In case you haven't, it's worth firing up the Oculus Debug tool and setting the encode bit rate to 250 from the default 150 (or is it 125?). I found that improved the image quality over the link cable. Also make sure that you change the link frequency to 90hz from the default 72hz in the Oculus app, and set the resolution slider to whatever your GPU can handle - I think mine is on 1.3 with my 2070S, but it might be 1.2. I can manage 90fps with no re-projection with around 5 cars on the track with me - a full field introduces re-projection.

Associate
OP
In case you haven't, it's worth firing up the Oculus Debug tool and setting the encode bit rate to 250 from the default 150 (or is it 125?). I found that improved the image quality over the link cable. Also make sure that you change the link frequency to 90hz from the default 72hz in the Oculus app, and set the resolution slider to whatever your GPU can handle - I think mine is on 1.3 with my 2070S, but it might be 1.2. I can manage 90fps with no re-projection with around 5 cars on the track with me - a full field introduces re-projection.
Thanks for the advise. I have been playing around with the settings as i found it a little blurry.

Back
Top Bottom