Right, what do I upgrade next?

Associate
Guys, what do I do next. I'm pretty sure the answer is graphics card but need some confirmation therein!

I've got the 6400 overclocked bundle:
Asus Z170-E
Intel i5-6400 (non-K) @ 4.4Ghz
Kingston Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C15 2666MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (HX426C15FBK2/8)
Alpenfohn - Brocken 2

NZXT S340
Corsair CX600M

2 x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 OC

Logitech G300s Mouse
CoolerMaster Quick Fire TK Cherry Brown

iiyama ProLite B2283HS

Soldato
Guys, what do I do next. I'm pretty sure the answer is graphics card but need some confirmation therein!

Yep - you're spot on - you have a very capable system - I would drop in a GTX 1070 and another 8gb memory - you'll be really impressed at the gains for bang for buck.

I just posted the below in a similar thread - to sums things up for you:

Plec said:
I was in the same boat as you but with a 2500k @ 4.5Ghz - gaming at 1440p.

I dropped in a GTX 1070 with 16Gb of memory with the full intention of doing a Ryzen build once the 5s were released. However, I've been so impressed with the performance that i'm going to wait - even at 1440p.

It's totally reinvigorated my rig - Yes, there's a slight CPU bottleneck and the gen 2 PCIe knocks of another 1% - but I can't tell in real world situations. I can play most games on ULTRA without tweaking at 1440p. If you're playing at only 1080p you'll be smiling even more.

And you'll have a PCIe gen 3 socket - so happy days...

Associate
OP
Yep - you're spot on - you have a very capable system - I would drop in a GTX 1070 and another 8gb memory - you'll be really impressed at the gains for bang for buck.

I just posted the below in a similar thread - to sums things up for you:

And you'll have a PCIe gen 3 socket - so happy days...

Top man, ta.

In terms of the memory, what do I have to consider based upon the fact they're currently overclocked in the bios? Same manufacturer and speed just larger dimms/simms/whatever they're called now?

Soldato
In terms of the memory, what do I have to consider based upon the fact they're currently overclocked in the bios? Same manufacturer and speed just larger dimms/simms/whatever they're called now?

I would buy a matched kit as they're still available.

Filling all four slots with an overclock isn't the headache it used to be (famous last words).

EDIT: You could contact Overclockers (if you bought it from them) in the Customer Services forum - and get some reassurance about the addition of more memory.

There wouldn't be any discernible difference if you had to drop it to 2133Mhz - but it shouldn't affect your CPU clock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been offered a Inno 3d 980 OC for 180. Should I bite that bullet?
If it had been a 980Ti i would have said yes - as on a par with the performance you want.

Looking at the MM Forum (you can't see it) - the card seems overpriced. A standard INNO3D went for £120 at the start of August as a reference.

£140/£150 would be more palatable...

Soldato
Cheers mate. Good info. What's the MM forum out of interest?
The MM is the Members Market Forum - where members with 1000+ posts can sell hardware to other members.

I've never used it personally (but like to browse) - but if i had the need/want i definitely would as it's far safer than the 'bay' and a great community. Plus, you're dealing with people that you may have come across on the forums - and usually know what they're selling/talking about if regular sellers.

Unfortunately, your 800+ posts shy... :/

Associate
OP
The MM is the Members Market Forum - where members with 1000+ posts can sell hardware to other members.

I've never used it personally (but like to browse) - but if i had the need/want i definitely would as it's far safer than the 'bay' and a great community. Plus, you're dealing with people that you may have come across on the forums - and usually know what they're selling/talking about if regular sellers.

Unfortunately, your 800+ posts shy... :/

Ah, I get you. No worries, thank you for your responses and info!

Back
Top Bottom