Rioting in London?

Wise Guy
Soldato
you claimed that bank bailout would have resulted in a fall of 75% GDP as per your post 259!

services includes many other indutries other than just banking (IT, Distribution, Education, Restaurants etc...) basically anything other than is manufacturing, mining or farming :p

therefore not bailing out the banks doesn't equal a 75% drop in GDP

How much of the service economy can farmers and miners carry?

How much is carried by credit cards, equity releases and the like? Do you think IT/restaurants/couriers could circle jerk themselves along if the banking industry collapsed? How many restaurant meals would you buy on your credit card at 80% APR?

Caporegime
Sky news reporter on the ground confirmed that they are definately majority of students.

Yes the vast majority of people attending the protests almost certainly were students.

However of the minority of involved in the violence (not people who simply entered the building but the people who actually targeted it/smashed the windows down in the first place) I wouldn't be surprised if a large % weren't actually students but were the usual anarchist/black bloc types who will try to hijack any vaguely left wing protest.

Soldato

Well said.

Making A-levels easier and easier year-on-year and setting a ridiculously high arbitrary target for the numbers going into higher education was never going to encourage people to make good use of their time at university. It just stretches the funding for university courses and gives hundreds of thousands of young people a worthless degree at the end of it. I'm all for education for educations sake, but when people get EEU in their A-levels and then a third from a low-quality university, what is the benefit?

Soldato
Well said.

Making A-levels easier and easier year-on-year and setting a ridiculously high arbitrary target for the numbers going into higher education was never going to encourage people to make good use of their time at university. It just stretches the funding for university courses and gives hundreds of thousands of young people a worthless degree at the end of it. I'm all for education for educations sake, but when people get EEU in their A-levels and then a third from a low-quality university, what is the benefit?

Okay, can we just all agree that exams are not getting easier and that we're simply cleverer than you?

Soldato
you wait and see it will be teachers, fireman, civil service, council staff, prison guards next once they get the scalpel out on their pensions. Going to be a bumpy year 2011 !

Soldato
Soldato
I think that these scenes could be the beginning of the end if they continue to escalate. Lets be honest the Students in this country don't have nearly as much power as students in say... France for example.

In the students doing this i think that the violence has sent a clear message of how passionate some students are... imagine being in the middle of your studies knowing that you've spent 2years on a course and that you won't be able to afford the next year...

I also saw a Student Union Head (the Scouser on BBC News 24) my God he made a fantastic point about education being somewhere any Government should invest in after a recession and not cutting or making it more difficult to gain these skills.

If the other services, councils, teachers, fire service etc have a strike i think it may just about ebb out the necessity for a general election.

Permabanned
Who buys the music though? The kid's of people who actually make something, you know like engineers.

LOL

or just people from all walks of life?

adults all sorts.

It isn't just music on its own either.

Is it just engineers kids that go to clubs? gigs and events?

Hmmm?

Put it this way, if you were going to give your son £20k for uni would you rather he spent it on a music studies degree or a petroleum engineering degree?

I would hope he was happy, doing something suited to him and I wouldn't want to stick arbitary stereotypes on what he should do in life.

The world is diverse, and a lot more diverse than your obbsession with engineers.

Soldato
Okay, can we just all agree that exams are not getting easier and that we're simply cleverer than you?

Look at the difficulty of questions from 30 years ago and you'll see what I mean. Even if each year students were getting brighter, that doesn't explain the percentage of students getting say, an A grade, being increased. If everyone was getting brighter the proportion of students getting an A each year would stay the same. The reason it doesn't is the exam boards dictate what proportion will get an A.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
In the students doing this i think that the violence has sent a clear message of how passionate some students are... imagine being in the middle of your studies knowing that you've spent 2years on a course and that you won't be able to afford the next year...

If the students are thinking this then frankly we need tighter controls on who gets in to university. Firstly the changes don't come in until 2012 so no one doing a two year degree will pay the increased charges. Secondly anyone that enrols on a course that starts prior to 2012 will be on the old loan scheme, so no current students and no students starting in the next academic year.

Finally, how can they not afford the next year? It is a non credit scored, guaranteed loan you don't have to pay back until you start earning over £21k. They will pay exactly the same up front cost for their fees as they do now(i.e. £0).

Wise Guy
Soldato
LOL

or just people from all walks of life?

adults all sorts.

It isn't just music on its own either.

Is it just engineers kids that go to clubs? gigs and events?

Hmmm?

I would hope he was happy, doing something suited to him and I wouldn't want to stick arbitary stereotypes on what he should do in life.

The world is diverse, and a lot more diverse than your obbsession with engineers.

Someone, somewhere has to pay for everything. Trace back anything to the origin and there is some poor slob doing some hard work somewhere. Might be a 10 year old in China making nikes or your dad on an oil rig in the north sea.

What kind of fantasy land are you guys living in that you think we can all do media studies and go to clubs without ever actually producing anything or doing any useful work? That the government can just print money and hand it out? This is all paid for with debt to people who ARE doing work, facilitated by the banking industry.

It can't last much longer, bills have to be paid with meaningful WORK. The very bottom line is we have to be fed, clothed, housed and transported. The government can't magic that stuff out of thin air :confused: Somebody has to do the actual work, that's where wealth comes from.

It would not surprise me if in 15 years time half of you people will be the lowest pleb factory workers making jeans or whatever for the Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom