• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RIP <=8 GB Vram

Soldato
Weird question guys.

On my z97 motherboard with my 5700xt the total vram my system tells me is 12gb (8gb dedicated and 4gb shared) is this a good thing?

Sort of same thing here - I’ve 11gb dedicated on the 2080ti and 32gb system ram - but task manager reports like 20gb for the 2080ti with 9 of it shared. I’ve never seen memory go over 10gb on the 2080to so I don’t think it means much

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Need to compare the texturing quality on AMD vs Nvidia, because on geforce cards they often look less sharp and a bit washed out. Which could be related to performance and vram requirements.
Surprised that no green shade and leather jacket wearing people took issue with this comment :p

Soldato
OP
Yeah take a look at charts, GTX 1060 3GB can handle Ultra texture pack just fine with 5GB less which matched RX 580 8GB performance at 1080p and 1440p, at 4K it able to matched RX 590 8GB performance. GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1660 6GB, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB and RTX 2060 6GB can handle it just fine with 2GB less than 8GB cards.

VRAM did not mattered.

Those benchmarks are not real. They're as if someone recorded fps looking at the sky. Until they do more than boot up the first 10 minutes and record a 30s segment of an empty room, they're simply not valid (or in RUs case the beginning outdoor area, perhaps the least taxing scene possible). Like I said, city loops are the benchmark standard for the game and that's when you'll see how the GPUs get used.

Edit: Should also add, camera rotation needs to be part of the benchmark run as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Gamegpu just uses data extrapolation - aka it's estimates, that's how they can "test" 5 years of graphics cards in a day.

I don't know their exact method, but maybe they just bench a handful of cards, like 3 or 4 and use the known relative performance to calculate all the other cards.

Man of Honour
I've addressed this on the first page. If you don't have enough vram the frametimes plummet. So clearly using. Hence why I got a stable line with HBCC but not without.

Without HBCC, it looks like this (at best) whenever you move camera, and gets worse with time (also note the extra 3GB RAM usage vs the OP!):

dUAd02f.png

Why do you keep on about HBM2 it is not superior to GDDR6 when gaming.

Titan V uses HBM2 and is very fast when gaming but up against one of my RTX Titans it is the Turing card with GDDR6 that has the better minimums.

Soldato
HBM is the better memory. The only reason you don't see it on more gaming cards is because it's expensive. Nvidia squeezing more profit is the most likely the reason for it not being on the latest Titan.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
HBM is the better memory. The only reason you don't see it on more gaming cards is because it's expensive. Nvidia squeezing more profit is the most likely the reason for it not being on the latest Titan.

You are missing the point.

RTX Titan (GDDR6) is far better at maintaining good fps and avoiding lows than Titan V (HBM2).

HBM is good memory but not for gaming.

Soldato
OP
Why do you keep on about HBM2 it is not superior to GDDR6 when gaming.

Titan V uses HBM2 and is very fast when gaming but up against one of my RTX Titans it is the Turing card with GDDR6 that has the better minimums.

I didn't say that and I have no clue how you got to thinking that. I'm talking about HBCC which relates to memory availability and not framerate (except insofar as not having enough vram will obviously lead to framerate instability).

But since you've broached this subject let me assure you: HBM2 is absolutely the better of the two for just about anything except saving money. Discussing memory through a comparison of two cards with wholly different architectures is misguided because other variables are going to interfere with performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Until high bandwidth cache controller is used on another type of Ram then HBM is the better solution.
What is not good is the price.

Am with OP here I have seen first hand the benefits that HBCC bring.

Back
Top Bottom