RIP MS Paint (Please remain RESPECTFUL!)

Soldato
Youre the one who just assumed Windows is some sort of bonafide app platform.

where on earth did i say that? your making stuff up now dude.

all i said was that microsoft are trying to make money the same way ios and android does- by pre-installed apps and advertising, and that this is a legit business strategy albeit i'll admit poorly implemented and frankly a nuisance for most.

When its been the "polar opposite" of that for almost three decades lol which is why i assumed you were actually from the app generation. Even now its just a mess full of mostly substandard apps which will never really compete with iOS nor android, both statistically and functionally.

you do realise that the only difference between any application and an "app" is some fancy graphics and where you get them from (ie a centralised vetted online store rather than downloaded from some website), hell on windows 10 you can even run apps.... in windows!

it's a half-baked attempt at copying a different business model, but it's not the end of the world. whats more annoying is the backwards compatibility failures that windows 10 introduced for some even reasonably modern industrial packages.

I think you and Asim should get a room. Explore each other. Share the love. Come together. Leave as one. Enjoy a civil partnership. Adopt a young Taiwanese boy. Buy an eggplant farm. Eat more veg. Drink more alcohol. Masturbate furiously. Peace out !

genuine lol :D

Caporegime
Yeah you clearly have no idea whats going on. Its not that its locked down, Its 'why' its locked down. So microsoft can serve spyware and adware and milk more money from YOU through apps that have been adfree for decades.

Man this new generation of app kids have no idea what Windows is/was lol.

What next, people will bend over more and say theres nothing wrong with remotely installing crapps like facebook and candy crush on your system to fake the amount of app installs they have lmao.

What the actual **** are you talking about? It's locked down so it can be used in unis and whatnot where little scrotes will try everything to play Minesweeper or plug in USBs or whatever to try and stick it to the man. That's why it's locked down, not so they can serve you spyware and stuff. Come on Asim, I rarely dispute anything you say because you often have a valid point but this is just ridiculous.

Soldato
Search Bar :confused: I don't have a search bar..

Ok found out if I type on my windows start menu it searches

But I have no paint 3D installed

you must be running an old version of windows 10. paint 3d was introduced with the creators update and no idea why you dont have the cortana search bar and your search appears to be broken unless you dont have paint installed either.

oQOqxebl.png.jpg
xkcd said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40714395

The lord has graced us through a MS decision. Our prayers have been answered
:) Beaten to it.... just saw and was about to post.

"It's a miracle!" :p

That is amazing news :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

srly, whaaa :confused: I posted a link to the MS blog post earlier today. Dont you people read ???! :p

Sliver said:
I think you and Asim should get a room. Explore each other. Share the love. Come together. Leave as one. Enjoy a civil partnership. Adopt a young Taiwanese boy. Buy an eggplant farm. Eat more veg. Drink more alcohol. Masturbate furiously. Peace out !

Crossing the line, Sliver. Nobody wants an eggplant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows key + print screen. Saves a screenshot to ".\Pictures\Screenshots".
I format a lot, I'd no doubt forget about them and then they would get lost forever :p

It's been around since Windows Vista, how have you not heard of it?!

It removes the need to print screen and paste into a program then save it as an image or whatever. Just run snipping tool and save whatever area of screen you want in whatever shape. It's so simple even my nan could do it if she were still alive, may my nan RIP.

Just pin snipping tool to your task bar and away you go.

I'm looking now, I still might fight the power and us Paint still :)

Soldato
Never really used Paint as back in the day it couldn't handle jpg or gif files. About 2003 bought a copy of JASC Paint Shop Pro 7 which still works to this day under Windows 10.

Nothing unusual in MS pulling utilities from Windows - years ago they bundled a WYSIWYG web editor, forget what it was called but was handy for doing simple web page design. That got replaced with a copy of Dreamweaver which also still (mostly) works in Win 10.

Caporegime
Primary and secondary. All they need is a web-browser, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and an image editor. All of those are available as a 'modern' app so we're good. We can control it all with GP same as the rest of the environment.
The main thing that put us off Chromebooks was the need to implement an MDM solution to deal with them. This is more complexity that we don't need.
How do you feel about Bing being enforced, and Google being actively blocked by MS? Not just Bing enforced as default... Google actually being blocked??!

They're stating "security" as the reason...

Soldato
Link to Google physically being blocked and ion what versions of windows or is it all?

think it's just specifically limited to windows 10s, which as mentioned is the locked down version for places like schools to use to prevent the kids getting up to the usual antics.

it's for sure not blocked at all on regular windows 10.

can't say i agree with that, i do share the popular opinion about bing, but then it's not like school internet isn't already massively locked down anyway.

Soldato
I had no idea such incredible artwork could be made in MS Paint, the patience (and skill) some people have is incredible. As for me, how will I save my screenshots as JPEGs now :confused:

Caporegime
I had no idea such incredible artwork could be made in MS Paint, the patience (and skill) some people have is incredible. As for me, how will I save my screenshots as JPEGs now :confused:
Don't save screenshots as JPEGs :p Unless you change the default compression options. Otherwise text will look like arse.

Use PNG, use the snipping tool, or use ALT+PRTSCRN to just get the in-focus app's window instead of the whole kaboodle.

Man of Honour

We already have. When he took out his Mac10 and it was more like a Mac1.5 so I was left disappointed.

Soldato
I remember being at school and using the first paint and seeing the images that people have transferred into paint format and thinking that they had made them from scratch hahaha. I even went as far as zooming right in to look at the individual cells and thinking how clever they would have to be to slightly change the shades to make the over all picture. How little i knew back then!

V F

V F

Soldato
Don't save screenshots as JPEGs :p Unless you change the default compression options. Otherwise text will look like arse.

Use PNG, use the snipping tool, or use ALT+PRTSCRN to just get the in-focus app's window instead of the whole kaboodle.

I'm surprised Microsoft never made a program like OS X has. Preview. View the images, yes Windows Image Viewer is there. Preview can resize, sharpen, colour, assign colour profiles, capture any snapshot and save more or less any image format.

Associate
It's been around since Windows Vista, how have you not heard of it?!

It removes the need to print screen and paste into a program then save it as an image or whatever. Just run snipping tool and save whatever area of screen you want in whatever shape. It's so simple even my nan could do it if she were still alive, may my nan RIP.

Just pin snipping tool to your task bar and away you go.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of this either...
I regularly use the long winded method to send small details from drawings over to clients for discussion.

Back
Top Bottom