RMT to ballot for strike action.

Caporegime
We should just kick the companies to the curb, flat out forcibly take the railways back and begin a massive grade 4 upgrade.

The benefits to the country far outweigh a few peoples overpriced jobs, who will ultimately see the end of their job in the future anyway.

Soldato
If they want to protest then they should crash parliament and disrupt their daily lives (because at the moment they don't care as it's not affecting them), not screw over the public. They aren't making any allies by what they are doing, the public don't support them.

Man of Honour
I don't mind the idea of unions, when they work. i.e. looking after workers, in terms of health and safety, and in terms of making sure they're not being screwed over by the employers. For that, they're great. And the fact that they create a strong body of experienced work force providing something back to the "doers"...

That said, the militant aggressive nature of a lot of these unions has now gone too far. I'm not suggesting Southern (or other companies) are sweet and innocent, far from it, they [southern] are a shower in my eyes. However, it is being exacerbated by the unions who are fueling antagonism rather than trying to be rational.

The rail industry and TOCs need to embrace the future, and be future looking, and letting the drivers operate the doors, as has been proven, is perfectly safe. Southern (this is the only experience I have I know there are other TOCs) do not run well with guards on the train who operate the doors anyway.

It is becoming a nightmare - we've been on an emergency time table now for months, only 1 train an hour, with many cancelled - meaning nearly a 2 hour wait.

Sure, I'm getting over £100 in compensation every month, but that's not hte point, I actually want to get to work.

I don't care what happens, but someone will take them to court over this at some point I reckon. Someone will lose their job owing to the strikes or poor service, someone will flip and do something about it. This can all be avoid if they just work together rather than trying to beat one another.

Soldato
As another "Southern Survivor" I say we plan now to automate the whole lot asap. Neither Southern or the Unions give a fig about the commuters, and the service has been a shambles since 2012. My sympathies used to wax and wayne between the two sides, but about 18 months ago enough was enough. The RMT don't care, shut them down, I don't care about thier rights or thier petty safety moans. Reallocate the conductors to station staff and be done with it. They do sod all anyway, checking tickets once in a blue moon even when 1st is full of chancers.

Fin

Soldato
Should make strikes illegal on the Underground. What exactly is Sadiq doing when he seems to be on their side?

It's funny that when we have a Labour Mayor there's usually next to no strikes but when there's a tory one then it's every month. But with Sadiq it's gone the other way

Associate
Orionaut;30409136 said:
Been trying to find this out...

Just how long was it after the demise of Steam Engines was it that the RMT finally accepted that new technology meant that there was no longer any need for Locomotives to have "Firemen"?

(I certainly seem to recall a number of major strikes over this issue back in the day, Much like now really)

Firemen became Secondmen, the role didn't go anywhere till the mid 1990s as far as I recall.

Source: Railwayman

Associate
Harlequin;30480487 said:
http://www.traindriver.org/historical-background.html

was the 80`s - I worked on the railway in the early 90`s and the train crew was trainman D (driver) and trainman G (guard)

I wasn't a 100% sure but I know a lot of firemen were offered to become secondmen when steam was on the way out and drivers had secondmen (Which were essentially trainee drivers) for a long time, I was sure until towards the end of British rail in the mid 90s but even so the 80s is still a long time after steam went.. Just saying the fireman role didn't just disappear

Back
Top Bottom