Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Associate
Soldato
arknor - The cycle computer works great! Pretty much in line with the results that I got from the Strava :) Nice quick pace to the gym, very slow on the way back :( But better than the first time thanks to the slightly better weather. Avg of 12.3mph over 12 miles, max of 32mph. Hopefully, I'll be able to see a decent improvement over the next few weeks.

Got my eye on the red Triban 3 at auction which ends in a few hours so if it's a good price.. maybe... Originally thinking of spending ~£400 for a decent second-hand carbon forks, Tiagra/105 groupset, but if I can spend £200 on carbon forks, 2300/Sora groupset then I think I'll bite the bullet.

Soldato
arknor - The cycle computer works great! Pretty much in line with the results that I got from the Strava :) Nice quick pace to the gym, very slow on the way back :( But better than the first time thanks to the slightly better weather. Avg of 12.3mph over 12 miles, max of 32mph. Hopefully, I'll be able to see a decent improvement over the next few weeks.

Got my eye on the red Triban 3 at auction which ends in a few hours so if it's a good price.. maybe... Originally thinking of spending ~£400 for a decent second-hand carbon forks, Tiagra/105 groupset, but if I can spend £200 on carbon forks, 2300/Sora groupset then I think I'll bite the bullet.

but triban 3 already comes with carbon forks.. so just get that and upgrade the groupo if you feel the need! :)

went from 25/12 cassette to 23/12 and tbh I can feel the difference.. need to get used to the gears for sure! :)

campy wheels.. SRAM cassette and shimano groupo.. lol. now just need to get a bamboo frame and I'm covered :D

Soldato
but triban 3 already comes with carbon forks.. so just get that and upgrade the groupo if you feel the need! :)

went from 25/12 cassette to 23/12 and tbh I can feel the difference.. need to get used to the gears for sure! :)

campy wheels.. SRAM cassette and shimano groupo.. lol. now just need to get a bamboo frame and I'm covered :D

Yeah, that's what I mean! Haha. And having never used drop bars before, I'll probably be on the hood for the beginning so the position of the 2300/Sora trigger shouldn't be a problem hopefully! 57cm frame should be good for someone 5' 10" right?

Just looked up bamboo frame, do people actually ride with them?! Haha.

Soldato
Yeah, that's what I mean! Haha. And having never used drop bars before, I'll probably be on the hood for the beginning so the position of the 2300/Sora trigger shouldn't be a problem hopefully! 57cm frame should be good for someone 5' 10" right?

57cm sounds pretty large depending on how they measure the geometry. I'm the same height and my best fitting frames were 53 & 54.

Soldato

I spend 90% of my time on the hoods anyway.. :) so sora is perfect for me.. I do have a 57cm frame on my triban 3.. - I'm 5'9.5 so pretty much the same height as you, I do find it comfy but maybe I just got used to it.

Caporegime

try to stay around 90 cadence (rpm) anything below 70 and you're in the wrong gear or not trying hard enough :p

Underboss
HEADS UP

IF anyone wants a Polar Soft Strap head to http://www.bhipltd.co.uk/ who are closing down, enter the code BYEBYE for a further 50% off, they have Suunto usb sticks for people wanting to get into trainer road too for some bargain prices.

good job, thanks just when I need those two !!

ill see if I can buy them now

thanks for the heads up

EDIT //

got 50 % off
paying £22.49 for Polar strap AND a Sunuto ANT+ stick

Last edited:
Underboss

PLEASE test ride one first, or a close to it as possible

I bought a 58 framed CAADX and it was too big for me, had to send it back
all online size charts says I should be on a 58, but ITS NOT THE CASE, I should be on a 56 as ive been "Fitted"
my Roubaix is also a 56

Underboss
Have you accidentally bought a replacement strap rather than a strap with the monitor attached to it?
I cant see how you've got it for that price if not? (even with 50% off)

Polar Replacement Heart Rate Strap Please select sizeM - XL, 32 to 42 inch 3xmixedxsizes-91043552 1 Excl. Tax: £14.99
Incl. Tax: £17.99

Suunto Mini Movestick SS016591000 1 Excl. Tax: £22.50
Incl. Tax: £27.00

Subtotal (Excl.VAT) £37.49
Subtotal (Incl.VAT) £44.99
Shipping & Handling £0.00
Discount (50% off all website prices - THANK YOU) -£22.50
VAT (20%)
£3.75

Tax
£3.75
Grand Total £22.49