Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I can't tell from the photos provided, but would it be possible to route the chain the wrong way through the jockey wheels or something? Short of trying it myself, I can't tell quite how wrong you could get it or if it would even work or what the end result would be, but it leaps to mind as a potentially easy mistake to make. I once put my chain on after a clean and got it the wrong side of a metal tab between the two jockey wheels and it made a racket and didn't shift properly. I noticed pretty quickly, though, so I don't know whether it could have as dramatic results as in the photos.

Anyway. If this problem has arisen in the time it's taken to get the chain off and on again, I'd guess at chain routing being the problem, assuming you didn't randomly hit the derailleur with a hammer midway through the process.

Last edited:
Caporegime
still not reached newcastle yet.. tempted to go for a ride anyway even if I get wet..
theres a cafe at a farm or whatever it is on my route about 60% in so guess I could hide in their if I get caught out :S

I only have jeans or joggy bottoms though so I don't know :(

Associate
I can't tell from the photos provided, but would it be possible to route the chain the wrong way through the jockey wheels or something? Short of trying it myself, I can't tell quite how wrong you could get it or if it would even work or what the end result would be, but it leaps to mind as a potentially easy mistake to make. I once put my chain on after a clean and got it the wrong side of a metal tab between the two jockey wheels and it made a racket and didn't shift properly. I noticed pretty quickly, though, so I don't know whether it could have as dramatic results as in the photos.

Anyway. If this problem has arisen in the time it's taken to get the chain off and on again, I'd guess at chain routing being the problem, assuming you didn't randomly hit the derailleur with a hammer midway through the process.

I replaced the chain about 2 weeks ago and it was fine, I noticed on a ride last Tuesday that the chain was loose (so it must have happened mid ride). Looking back now the chain length thing was stupid (on a side note can I just put a new KMC quick link on to lengthen the chain? It will mean 2 quick links in quick succession).

The derailleur is obviously the main problem here, I'll give it a good look at and see if I can move it at all at the pivot point, but it might be a job for the shop, I don't really fancy re-building it myself.

Man of Honour
I replaced the chain about 2 weeks ago and it was fine, I noticed on a ride last Tuesday that the chain was loose (so it must have happened mid ride). Looking back now the chain length thing was stupid (on a side note can I just put a new KMC quick link on to lengthen the chain? It will mean 2 quick links in quick succession).

The derailleur is obviously the main problem here, I'll give it a good look at and see if I can move it at all at the pivot point, but it might be a job for the shop, I don't really fancy re-building it myself.

I'd recommend taking it to the shop. We all make dumb mistakes from time to time so don't worry about the link thing :p With regards to sticking a quick link back on I wouldn't recommend it personally. It might be fine but I'd only do that as a quick fix. Chains aren't that expensive so it's probably worth getting the bike shop to fit a new one whilst they sort out the derailleur problem.

Soldato
Weather forecasting is so cack! It forecast frequent heavy showers for all of yesterday.

I managed a 4.5hr ride and got a few spots of rain towards the end. I thought I was going to get soaked.

Pleasant surprise :)

Caporegime
Weather forecasting is so cack! It forecast frequent heavy showers for all of yesterday.

I managed a 4.5hr ride and got a few spots of rain towards the end. I thought I was going to get soaked.

Pleasant surprise :)

I don't remember the last time it looked dry outside even when it hasn't rained lol....

If it doesn't rain much during the day it seems to hammer it down over night :(
wiIB1F3.png

will it rain or won't it :(

the huge weather front is putting me off but I really want to go out :mad:

Soldato
I didn't think you meant a cheaper alternative, you aren't normally the frugal type!

I'm probably the most frugal person you're ever likely to meet.

The Mavic Echappee is currently top of my list, the colours are a bit ahem but great reviews. Never really liked the cut of Gore stuff and theres so many I get bored trying to figure out which Path, SO, Oxygen, Phantom, Contest v I or II; I even need :confused:

Soldato
The frugal thing to do would be sell your Cervelo and ride around on a Triban 3!:D

I'm a big Gore fan. Their road range in order of ascending price is:

Contest -> Power -> Oxygen -> Xenon

Oxygen and Xenon softshells are what you want for tight/race fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom