Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
If I was you I'd just kill the 501's before getting anything :) you won't notice much if any difference after buying a new wheel set. - unless you spend good money on it, IMO of course

Well, there was a huge difference between the stock wheels on my TDF and the open sports it's got on it now, so in hoping for a similar improvement. Better acceleration, easier to maintain speed.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
[DOD]Asprilla;26349539 said:
Right, can any of the pointy hatted, disc wheel brigade talk me through TT bike sizing?

I'm contemplating selling the Scott and the Burls and getting a TT bike instead from eBay.

OK, bikes are short with low top tubes, relatively steep seat tube and the saddle is a long way forwards. TT saddles often look like they have the nose clipped off so they can be slid further forwards without breaking the rules. You ride a long way forwards compared to a road bike with drops.

Riding position, think about yourself in a comfortable crawl position with your weight on your elbows and knees - elbows on the pads, slide the bars back into your hands, this is a good starting point for on the tri bars - and you'll be able to feel if the bike is too long or short. Same for the handlebars, except this time with the weight on your hands.

DO IT!

Soldato
Anyone ever had shin splints through cycling?

Last week, on my right leg on the inner part of the shin bone, I noticed a slight bruise about the size of a 10p which went after two days....no other pain. Now on my left leg after yesterdays ride I have another bruise on my inner shin (visible bruising). I didn't realise it would be possible during cycling! Used to get shin splints all the time when trying to run but never bruising.

Soldato
Anyone ever had shin splints through cycling?

Last week, on my right leg on the inner part of the shin bone, I noticed a slight bruise about the size of a 10p which went after two days....no other pain. Now on my left leg after yesterdays ride I have another bruise on my inner shin (visible bruising). I didn't realise it would be possible during cycling! Used to get shin splints all the time when trying to run but never bruising.

Never and I would get them from running, cycling's pretty low impact if you don't crash!

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;26352287 said:
Lighter rims accelerate quicker, heavier ones hold their momentum better.

That did cross my mind... I think the TdF stock rims were just so damn heavy that they sucked at accelerating and I sucked at holding them at speed :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Congrats, wasn't expecting that map to pop up, would love to do some riding over in California, maybe not LA way, but up the coast would be incredible.

The infrastructure over there is so much better. 80% of that ride was on dedicated bike paths that were ultra smooth. When we were on the roads I think there was only a mile or two where we did not have a bike lane.

However, a word of warning. You will despise traffic lights with an absolute passion. How anyone can safely set any times out there is beyond me. You could easily add 15 min to a 30 min commute if you got unlucky with the lights.

After abut 20 miles we saw a group ahead and managed to caught up. It was a big group so thought we might be able to blend in somewhere near the back. We caught them and then found out it was a Filipino-American riding club... didn't quite blend in!

Soldato
The infrastructure over there is so much better. 80% of that ride was on dedicated bike paths that were ultra smooth. When we were on the roads I think there was only a mile or two where we did not have a bike lane.

However, a word of warning. You will despise traffic lights with an absolute passion. How anyone can safely set any times out there is beyond me. You could easily add 15 min to a 30 min commute if you got unlucky with the lights.

After abut 20 miles we saw a group ahead and managed to caught up. It was a big group so thought we might be able to blend in somewhere near the back. We caught them and then found out it was a Filipino-American riding club... didn't quite blend in!

Sounds superb, obvious helps when you've got the space to do it..

Soldato
Hi guys,
Got a Specialized 2011 Allez and it still has the stock wheels on it, I am looking to use it for uni next year. A friend was telling me that I should get "commuter" tyres on it?

The roads to my uni are pretty bumpy and rough so I am unsure really what I am looking for. Any advice?

Thanks

Caporegime
Hi guys,
Got a Specialized 2011 Allez and it still has the stock wheels on it, I am looking to use it for uni next year. A friend was telling me that I should get "commuter" tyres on it?

The roads to my uni are pretty bumpy and rough so I am unsure really what I am looking for. Any advice?

Thanks

something that won't pop easily and as wide as will fit on your bike.
probably 25mm on the allez ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a steady ride today as have been under the weather this week. Sitting at a pokey wee cafe we sometimes use and in walk three dudes all in Rapha gear. Their bikes?

The worst was a Bianchi Infinito in Celeste with Chorus and Enve 45mm carbon tubs.
Second up was a Condor the same as the Rapha Condor team use.It also had Enve carbon tubs. This one had campagnolo record all round.
Third was a canyon c.f. slx with those mavic wheels with the carbon spokes and Super Record.

I reckon they were about £13 grand worth of bikes. Didn't clock how well they were riding but they sure looked the part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom