1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Cycling Essentials

Discussion in 'SA Archive' started by Matutu, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arsey

Wise Guy

2. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Quite a bit of rain oop North, but no thunder as yet, which hey were threatening. Hopefully it'll be decent enough for me to get a short ride in tomorrow morning.

At least I mowed the lawn when it was sunny...

3. Gribs

Wise Guy

It's a great feature. I'm already up to the same mileage as I'd done by the 11th November (2.2k km) last year and I think I'm going to have to extend my target of 3.5k km for the year by quite a bit. The relatively warm beginning to the year has helped me a lot as I barely rode until April last year.

4. oli collett

Mobster

I remember last year I was away for a week in Tenerife during a 'climb 5000m in a week' challenge and thought 'well this one is going to be easy'

I racked up over 10,000m, but the top 3 guys racked up around 30,000m. In a week. They were going out doing rides every day racking up 4000-5000m ascent in places like South America.

No matter how crazy you think you are, there's always some people out there going even further!

This was on BBC earlier. It seems to be changing about every hour! I think it's just going to be one of those days where you might be very lucky or very unlucky so I think i'll go with the Gabba and at least stay warm!

I rode it last year - gloves are quite an individual thing, lately i've been riding a lot without them. I find the short finger gloves I use tend to start to dig into my fingers after about 150km. I went without them during the Chilterns last week and was fine apart from the build up of sweat on my bars which got a bit annoying. I'll probably wear them and ditch them once they start to cause a problem. Road wise I seem to remember them being pretty good, certainly far better than some of the other sportives i've done - the roads on the chilterns last week were horrendous!

5. tl45

Hitman

Wearing full skin suit and TT pointy hat I hope :p

Had some lively bouts of thunder and lightning here this morning, then Peter Kay rain and now just normal heavy rain....

Tomorrow supposed to be much better, wonder if that includes North Wales?

6. sHo0sH

Mobster

Anyone want to call up Planet X and do a group-buy to see if they will honour the old price? I count possibly 3 bikes they could sell?

7. arknor

Caporegime

It's highly unlikely they will do a group buy for the old price if they couldn't keep up with demand at that price.

8. One More Solo

Capodecina

Yeah, I'd guess the price has gone up as they must be at capacity at the moment judging by the lead times quoted. Plus, we're entering the busiest period of the year for people buying non cycle to work scheme bikes so the £1000 barrier is less of a concern. They usually run a sale during or after the Tour but failing that the Pro Carbon Rival is still very good value.

9. Pringle W

Capodecina

[​IMG]

:D

10. jak731

Soldato

Decided to go ahead and build some summer wheels, wanted something which looks a bit so went for unusual lacing patterns:

2 cross, two trailing and two leading front wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Traditional 3 cross drive side and radial non drive on rear wheel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be fair I don't think anyone would notice the difference unless they were into building wheels themselves, this is the rear wheel off angle for instance:

[​IMG]

It was interesting to do though, for instance balancing the tension on the front wheel was challenging because each side has two distinct tones when plucked. (This was because half the spokes are laced against one another where they cross and the other are not, to avoid an aggressive lace close to the wide hub flange on the wider part of the spoke).

105 hubs, chrina rims and Alpina F1 double butted spokes.

11. physichull

Sgarrista

Pretty grim day to go out cycling although this evening is looking great but I'm going to the cinema instead! Damn!

Going to head out early tomorrow out towards Farley Lane near Upholland and around recce a few places around there. 50:50 rain but probably just showers tomorrow.

12. grudas

Capodecina

13. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

How early? Where exactly are you headed? Post up a route or something. I'll be heading out about half seven or eight and coming home for half nine, so we may cross paths.

14. SoliD

Capodecina

Had my bikefit yesterday which I will give more detail on once I get my details from the bike fitter, but I'm glad I done it and can highly recommend Vankru Cycling in Southampton.

Anyway to today, I had an open TT on a nearby 10m course that I hadn't ever done.

Had a few mishaps before I even started, as my car wouldn't start, so had to get it jump started, and just as I was heading to the start the timekeeper said I would have to cover up the sky on my skinsuit as I was not sponsored by them. Out came the gaffer tape! (Team GB skinsuit Adidas from eBay, I know it breaks the rules, but my club kit is horrible and the quality is appaling, and twice the price :D )

Weather was perfect, about 20c, small breeze, managed to smash my 10mile PB by 45 seconds, which would partly be due to the course, as it was one of the flatter courses I've ridden, but still had some lumps and bumps, but I would attribute most to the fit, felt able to put down more power throughout and felt so much more comfortable.

Finished up with a time of 24:46 in the end, although this appears to be over 10.3 rather than 10 miles. Just need to keep on pushing, aiming to get under 24 minutes on my clubs 10 mile course, where my current PB is 25:32, and my best time over 10.

http://www.strava.com/activities/150583382

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  15. physichull

Sgarrista

I am in cinema at mo but was going up to Ashton, Billinge, Upholland a bit further north then back via Crank (not the hill), Billinge then back. Could be out for 8. Will post later.

16. Pringle W

Capodecina

Gutted tonight, been glorious all day long (too hot for my bald head!) so thought I'd wait till this evening to go out and it started raining about 6 and progressively got worse :( Tomorrow's sunshine and showers so will have to get up earlish and get out while its fair.

17. physichull

Sgarrista

This is the route I will be doing tomorrow Von:

http://www.strava.com/routes/413519

Think I might have to go a bit later now though, setting off at 10 am -ish as have to drop the missus off at the station around 9.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  18. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

No worries, I'll head out early on my own. I wanted to head to Heaton Park again, but it's that park life festival thing, so I'm guessing it might be all closed up...

19. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Ok, question, would it be at all feasible to set up my old road bike - Carrera TDF - to be usable for light off-road work? Like borderline CX, but without the discs? Cutting to the chase, what 28mm 700c tyres could I get that would be ok on some trails, canal paths, etc? I guess I might have to jiggle the fit around a bit, as I guess a more relaxed position might suit off-road stuff better.

Is this a stupid idea? I'm never quite sure... When I first started riding again two years ago I was using an mtb on the road until I picked up a road bike and found out how much better that was, and while I've got that old mtb knocking around, I'm never going to do proper mtb riding with it so as much as anything else I'd be glad to have it out of the house.

I've got some spare wheels, so if I just got another cassette I could keep one set with road tyres on and one set with off-road tyres on it.

20. Phantom Shadow

Wise Guy

Depends how rough the off road stuff is. I've gone down muddy cycle paths that aren't always maintained the best with 23m slicks. Also been along an old railway track converted to cycle path that was quite bumpy on just some halfords tyres, not sure what size but probably 25/28mm as it was on a 531 road bike. If you can fit 28mm on the tdf then you're laughing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.