Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If the brakes fit round the mudguards, which they currently do, then how could they not fit round the tyres?

Sorry, this might be me failing to visualise how the brakes close on to the rim, and whether they'd clash with the tyre somewhere in a way I'm not seeing.

They're Tektro R540 brakes FWIW, but a quick Google isn't throwing up any info on what they'll accept.

That's fine then. I was imagining mudguards that have a gap at the caliper.
With full mudguards under the caliper i guess the max tyre size will be whatever the mudguards will accept.

Soldato
So I have some options for my next bike, hopefully OCUK can help.

I love the look of the BMC Timemachine TMR02. I have a trial ride tomorrow on it with Evans. Pretty sure I'll love it and it certainly has the looks that will make me want to ride it. Its not the dearest of the bikes I could get and I think it suits my needs pretty well (aero road bike). Please read on.

...but i went into a LBS today and got recommended a 'Kuota' bike as an alternative. the Kuota bike model was the 'Kuraro'. Ive got no experience of them and not sure id want to go in blind tbh (bike is over £2k). Anyone ridden one or can vouch for them? Bike seems rather good in the flesh however I cant ride it prior to purchase.

the LBS have also recommended the Cevelo S2. A bit more than than the BMC...(£700 more!)...but the finance options make it an option. Again, I cant ride it prior.

Evans wont do as full bike fit as they dont have the facilities. They will just put me on a trainer and adjust accordingly to sight. The LBS have a good bike fit setup, (not the electronic ping-pong ones I dont think) and will go a lot more into the science to custom it for me. I can change the stem, bartape, cassette etc etc to what ever I need at the LBS but not evans.

Each of the bikes will have 10s Shim 105 at least. Standard wheel set is not really an issue, I have Zipp 404's that will pretty much live on the bike. So frame and fit is what this is about.

Gut feeling says the BMC is what I should go for but head says Kuota with the full fitting/service.
What would you go for? the unknown 'fitted' bike or gut feeling?

Bikes are below.
http://www.kuota.it/bike.php?IDCategoria=1&IDBicicletta=51&IDColore=1

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/timemachine-tmr02-105-2014-road-bike-ec053887

http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/s-series/s2.html

Associate
If the brakes fit round the mudguards, which they currently do, then how could they not fit round the tyres?

Sorry, this might be me failing to visualise how the brakes close on to the rim, and whether they'd clash with the tyre somewhere in a way I'm not seeing.

What you'd have to look out for is clearance between the tyre and the mudguard - going to bigger tyres you'd start eating into whatever clearance you had when running the road tyres. You'll be able to adjust them to some extent, but you'll only have a bit of movement where the mudguards mount at the calipers.

I'd say go for the mtb with some semi-slicks on it, I racked up thousands of miles on this set-up doing say 80% roads, 20% gentle trails and it's good bit of strength training pedalling a tank around on fat tyres compared to a roadie.

Saying that my mtb hasn't moved out of the shed for a year now :rolleyes:

Soldato
Kuotas are ok bikes. Some I like, some I don't and my feeling is that they are a bit variable in their performance. They are a little bit niche, but that might be for a reason.

Cervelos have a reputation for being piloted by fat Surrey dentists with all the gear and no idea. They are common a much down here because of that. I love my S1. It's inspires me to ride in a way that no other bike does. The S2 is the race ready version; the S3 has a more compliant rear triangle.

The BMC lookes lovely and will perform but I have no experience of them.

If it comes to resale, the Kuota will be worth nothing, and the Cervelo will retain a lot of value with the BMC in between.

Caporegime
26 miles this morning, including this 10 mile "TT" segment. I got 30:02 for it, so agonisingly close to 20mph average over that stretch. I might have managed it if a couple more of the sets of lights had gone my way.

Nothing too astounding for the rest of the ride; I went pretty hard at that segment so wasn't really up to storming it on the way home, and the wind was a bit unfavourable on the return.

Absolutely stunning weather this morning, considering it was supposed to be pretty grim. Full on sun. I was dripping when I got in.

InQ

InQ

Associate
So I have some options for my next bike, hopefully OCUK can help.

I love the look of the BMC Timemachine TMR02. I have a trial ride tomorrow on it with Evans. Pretty sure I'll love it and it certainly has the looks that will make me want to ride it. Its not the dearest of the bikes I could get and I think it suits my needs pretty well (aero road bike). Please read on.

...but i went into a LBS today and got recommended a 'Kuota' bike as an alternative. the Kuota bike model was the 'Kuraro'. Ive got no experience of them and not sure id want to go in blind tbh (bike is over £2k). Anyone ridden one or can vouch for them? Bike seems rather good in the flesh however I cant ride it prior to purchase.

the LBS have also recommended the Cevelo S2. A bit more than than the BMC...(£700 more!)...but the finance options make it an option. Again, I cant ride it prior.

Evans wont do as full bike fit as they dont have the facilities. They will just put me on a trainer and adjust accordingly to sight. The LBS have a good bike fit setup, (not the electronic ping-pong ones I dont think) and will go a lot more into the science to custom it for me. I can change the stem, bartape, cassette etc etc to what ever I need at the LBS but not evans.

Each of the bikes will have 10s Shim 105 at least. Standard wheel set is not really an issue, I have Zipp 404's that will pretty much live on the bike. So frame and fit is what this is about.

Gut feeling says the BMC is what I should go for but head says Kuota with the full fitting/service.
What would you go for? the unknown 'fitted' bike or gut feeling?

Bikes are below.
http://www.kuota.it/bike.php?IDCategoria=1&IDBicicletta=51&IDColore=1

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/timemachine-tmr02-105-2014-road-bike-ec053887

http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/s-series/s2.html

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/sc...th-ultegra-6800-11-speed-di2-groupset-p246029

Foil, Di2 6800 £1399 (frame is black not silver).....just add wheels, saddle, bars, stem, tape and pedals.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
26 miles this morning, including this 10 mile "TT" segment. I got 30:02 for it, so agonisingly close to 20mph average over that stretch. I might have managed it if a couple more of the sets of lights had gone my way.

Nothing too astounding for the rest of the ride; I went pretty hard at that segment so wasn't really up to storming it on the way home, and the wind was a bit unfavourable on the return.

Absolutely stunning weather this morning, considering it was supposed to be pretty grim. Full on sun. I was dripping when I got in.

Nice going there VH!

Here is an extract taken from earlier this year on one of the 'local' 10TT's:

ihPbexk.png

Averaged 21mph but the undulation is harsh. Would love to do a flat 10 with quality tarmac.. :o

Soldato

The wind dried all my sweat away! :D

Well pleased with my ride this morning. 44 km at 24 km/h but I finally cracked the Shaley Brow climb all in one go! :D :D

I wasn't originally going to do it, I had originally gone to Farley Lane ( http://www.strava.com/segments/1668812?filter=overall ) to check out that little climb. I enjoyed that one, steep sections with corners which broke the climb up a bit. Got slowed up a little bit due to having to stop to let cars by which was annoying!

Then after a bit of downhill and into the wind I came to the Shaley crossroads...stupidly ignoring my Garmin Edge and heading to Shaley. Picked the granny gear for the whole way and went stupidly slowly for the first bit to conserve my energy for the steep bit. Managed it all in one go for the very first time so I am well chuffed! The only thing now is, every time I go there, I've got no excuses to do it all in one go again!

http://www.strava.com/activities/150845939

Last edited:
Associate

Is that an actual used TT route? I thought they were always out and back to account for the wind as on the right day on that one you could get a much quicker time without doing any more work.

Soldato
Not sure if there is anyone on here from around the York area but if there is the route below for a quick blast out is highly recommended. Ok its pretty flat but most places are around York but there is little traffic and the road surface is smooth for England hence my pretty high average which I'm well chuffed about.

http://app.strava.com/activities/150887599

Only regret is not going out for longer although showers were forecast its still sunny now typical!

Soldato
Is that an actual used TT route? I thought they were always out and back to account for the wind as on the right day on that one you could get a much quicker time without doing any more work.

I think for us (in Scotland, where we use Britishcycling rules for TTs) the rules say that the start and finish must be within 1 mile of each other for a 10. It can be out-and-back or a loop.
In Englandshire, I think you use CTT rules, so I dont know much about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom