Road Cycling

Soldato
if you have a casette tool and know how to take a casette off it's better to do it that way. i've never* gone at one with a punch to break it up though...

Soldato
Snipped them off and also destroyed one so much until it still wouldn't come off.

Cassette off is the smarter way sometimes.

Pedals do look strange but each to their own. I just ride on my spd sl pedals in boots/trainers usually.

Associate
Canyon :rolleyes:

They have finally introduced interest free monthly split payments, so I bit the bullet and ordered the Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 based on it stating shipping April 27th - May 1st. It even stated it in the order confirmation in the browser. However just got the email confirmation and it now states last week of August, a 4 month difference. The whole point was to be able to use it over summer, not receive it at the end of summer - order cancelled.

Associate
Depends on the model/colour though I think. The black version of the Ultimate I linked is mostly sold out, but the blue still states April 27th for S and L sizes. It also states 'NEW' next to the name, so I assume it is a newer model and thus recently stocked.

I actually looked at the Endurace as (they state) it's currently in stock, but I'm not a big fan of the colour scheme. Your red isn't my colour :D and the black just looks a bit boring, plus my commuter bike here in Copenhagen is already black. If they get back to my email tomorrow, I will probably end up swapping to the black Endurace though as I want something for the summer months in Denmark. They end quite swiftly as the wind and rain arrive in September, so receiving it at the end of August is a bit pointless.

Edit: It's actually the Endurace a model down from yours that's in stock by the look of it. Though the Ultimate CF SLX is in stock in ugly-but-at-least-it's-not-black "blue".

Last edited:
Associate
Get the blue. It's a lovely colour in person. Much better than the website shows.

As in this blue? I have come around to it actually, though it has rim brakes as opposed to disk brakes on the one I ordered.

Has anyone cancelled an order with Canyon before? I haven't had any reply to my mail yet, I assume public holiday season etc. They didn't take any payment information from me given the far shipping date, so I'm tempted just to order the above (which is in stock) while waiting for the other to be cancelled.

Associate
Ah yeah, that's the one I ordered, but the estimated shipping date shifted 4 months in the 5 minutes between the web based order confirmation and the confirmation email. The website still says end of April, so if they get back to my email with good news I'll keep the order. Otherwise I don't want to miss an entire summer season waiting for it and then not get to enjoy it for a further 7 months, there are plenty of other good bikes out there.

Soldato
My Speedmax is getting listed tonight, it's just gathering dust and I know for certain that I won't be doing TT's any time soon and can forgo have a spare bike for a while so right now N-1.

Any ideas on what a reasonable price range might be, £2,000-£2,500? I don't think this is too far off the mark based on completed listings on the bay... then again the 808 & 404 should still be worth a fair lump.

Speedmax CF 8.0 (2017)
600~ miles

• Zipp 808 & 404 (clincher) & Conti GP4000Sii
  • DA Chainset, Front & Rear Mech, 105 brake calipers.
  • Manuals, bags, nuts & bolts etc.
  • Delivery/Returns box.
  • Almost immaculate/little signs of use.

I know what I paid for it and the individual upgrades but am so far removed from the used bike market I'm unsure what's a reasonable estimate and what's a 'u wot m8' asking price.

L79mjt0l.jpg

OaZcfQfl.jpg

mXRIQnGl.jpg

Soldato
Nice helmet the Bambino.

I “may” have installed a Power2max type S on my Cervelo. Price just too good to pass up, £390 including postage for the power meter, new praxis chainrings, rotor chainring bolts and the Lockring tool.

I’ve been procrastinating about it for a few months, not sure if they are on runout but will be discontinued at some point as replaced by the NG Eco. Pulled the trigger as wanted to ride the R5 in summer with power.

The install was easy enough, Lockring tool quality bob on. Didn’t have a big enough socket, but a quality adjustable spanner did the trick, it wasn’t overly tightened but was Loctited on.

Clever chainrings with two holes and a removable pin to go behind the crank arm (I was going to use the SRAM set u already had but these are hidden bolt and wouldn’t line up the pin) I used the opportunity to go from 53/39 130bcd to 52/36 110bcd as if I am being honest it’s more suited to the UK hills & my power/weight.

Tested it in the stand, forgot I needed to alter the FD to accommodate the changes. I always find them fiddly (SRAM), but a height adjustment, check alignment and then muck about with the limit screws, took a good 30 minutes, was dropping the chain from big/small at first towards the top end of the cassette.

The NG Eco has a better design for the battery, I think that they could change the type S to match, but with 400 hours battery life I won’t have to change it more than once a year.

Reinstalled and took the bike out after work.

So good, feels like a track bike compared to the winter bike, more aggressive position, riding a higher cadence and you can whip it round and put it right where you want it. I think I could maybe go a little longer on the stem. Maybe a 120 -6 or -10, a -17 may be too much drop.

So much more responsive to any input. A 28mm front tyre does look huge out front, nice and comfy though!

Last edited:
Soldato
I sat in the garden and drank Belgian beer then nearly fell asleep.

Tidied out the shed a bit, organised all the bike parts and threw some crap out.

Tomorrow morning is for riding.

Soldato
Does anyone know how to make the half shift more defined? I am sure my bike last year had a defined half shift but this year it barely moves. Groupset is Shimano Ultegra.

Soldato
I sat in the garden and drank Belgian beer then nearly fell asleep.

Tidied out the shed a bit, organised all the bike parts and threw some crap out.

Tomorrow morning is for riding.

Sounds class mate. I'm now on the Corona beers. I've out Sat and Sun as the Mrs is working. This afternoon was a wee Brucey bonus.

The wind is to be pretty much zero over the weekend to enjoy it.

Does anyone know how to make the half shift more defined? I am sure my bike last year had a defined half shift but this year it barely moves. Groupset is Shimano Ultegra.

First thing I'd check or change is the cable, they get a bit sluggish and/or fray inside the shifter making the shift feel terrible.

Next would be how old are the chain/cassette/drive train in general?

Soldato
Absolutely glorious yesterday morning! Managed to do just under 4 hours (about the limit of my mind on its own) and did a strong ride doing some sweetspot intervals and some z3. Probably one of the biggest tss rides I've done!

Back
Top Bottom