Road Cycling

Soldato
I guess... but cycle to work is a pretty well established scheme, no? But I did consider that, like Halfords could go bust or something too I guess?

It's more one man telling you they can renew it might not actually work out a few months down the line when he's left or laid off.

It just sounds like it will be extra hassle.

Soldato
Squeezed the rear DA9000 calliper on my bike last night, got 2 to 2.5mm clearance at the sides and a bit more up top so I think I’m in the clear, test ridden and didn’t get any rocks stuck or rubbing.

The C2W voucher, could you buy one of the £1300 park tool sets that come with everything you ever need & then get a winter bike with the remainder?

Associate
New bike and some custom things on it the ride is so much more comfier than my cinelli gazetta!
watch

YmQkG64.jpg

Soldato
C2W voucher update, I spoke with my neighbour today, who I rode with a few times last year, as I remember him recently saying he was looking for a new bike. I checked with Tredz who confirmed I can buy two bikes on the one code. So he was looking around £1,400. I buy him something at 20% off and then my decision is down to just £1,000 :) Another bike and sell it on (might be easier at that price range) or maybe a MTB for me, or... a wheel off trainer for me... Easier options at that price tbh. :)

Took a ride into town today, making the most of a quiet London while the lockdown is still on. Had my first tumble, at low speed though.

f9LrbhW.png

I was almost stationary and trying to manoeuvre, but the wheel basically got caught in something. :(

Soldato
You're a ******* liability! :D

Possible down to toe overlap with the front wheel when turning at low speed.

Good result on the neighbour, could get a winter bike as said before. Keep the good bike good.

Soldato
Changed my handlebars again today!

Onto Deda Zero100 which are the same bars as my winter bike just in 7075 alloy instead of 6061.

The carbon 3T bars are marked by the stem clamp after 3 rides and torquing to 5nm (6 max recommended for 4 bolt stems). Bit crap, I’ll Facebook or ebay them on and break even as the Deda bars were cheaper as only alloy. Heard mixed messages about Deda carbon ones and not cheap so I’ll use these first and take a 60g weigh hit!

Last day of warm weather tomorrow then back to leg warmers it looks like!

Soldato
Had another crack at the Epic ride of a couple of climbs and had to call it short and U turn for home. Best part of 3 hours and looks like the loop is going to be a 4+ hour ride, not the 3 and a bit I had first thought... Something to build up to! :D

My pump tube is different, no movement in it it just all screws. Also think this is the first innertube I've really had a valve core out of, I don't recall the cheap tubes I've used previously ever doing it! ;)
Ok after some googling... Continental presta tubes are renown for having loose valve cores and coming unscrewed easily. Lezyne hand pumps also well known for unscrewing valve cores with the way they mount. So I used the worst combination possible! Will be tightening my remaining conti tubes valve cores now I know... When I get my replacement vavle core tool. Could've sworn I had 3 of them before. The little ones are obviously a bit too easy for me to misplace! Ordered a bigger one. Once it arrives can be sure some of the little ones surface anyway!

Now the prospect of riding a suspect wheel, tubed and having no portable pump has me horrified. Must have an old one somewhere...!
Replacement hose for my Lezyne pressure drive co2 is more than buying a replacement £20 pump so as I've got another co2 inflator I'm just going to buy a cheepy pump. Anyone got any recomendations? Quite liking the look of the cheapy Lifeline or Topeaks at the moment.

I found my old crank brothers gem so carrying a pump but it's such a short stroke and no way to frame mount it with the adaptor I have.

I'm using Genuine-Innovations-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-Kit, cheap but they worked really well for my side wall and rim punctures
Thanks for the link. That's the cheepy one I'd been looking at on the bay for similar money anyway. Couple of discount codes, cashback, free delivery and got one ordered with some other bits I needed. :cool:

Got it now so put it in a box for future use. I can do my MTB which I know will be bent as I’ve crashed that quite a lot & my dads Giant as I had a lie down on that too... :o
I can see pattern emerging :p;):D

Everyone needs a new bike man, gravel bike it up. Get yourself a 3T enduro. :D
So many people here seem to be going 3T recently, the aero one. I just can't love the look of it, it's fast but a bit of an ugly duckling in my book. Also seems really over priced for what it is without much pedigree... Yet.

The C2W voucher, could you buy one of the £1300 park tool sets that come with everything you ever need & then get a winter bike with the remainder?
Good shout but I'd point towards the lower end of the scale like the Halfords Professional toolset. Think mine was £180 or something and has so much in it, supreme quality (I was dubious being Halfords branded) with lifetime warranty. Mine is the earlier version of this one and was probably in a sale to get the price below 200 -https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-pc-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set-735757.html

Last day of warm weather tomorrow then back to leg warmers it looks like!
Haha your choice of handlebars sounds as bad as me finding a saddle! ;)

Yeah cool day tomorrow so I'm planning to Zwift but looks good again next week, maybe not 20 degrees but not wet.

I got a bargain last night a set of DI2 785 shifters for £120 in immaculate condition. I have di2 FD (8070) and think I have the right length di2 cables so just need to get the rest of the kit. Will use existing calipers so think I just need RD, battery and junction boxes. Etube is for connection to PC right? Is the di2 bar end thingy worth it on non integrated bars? Could obviously change bars to integrate cables but without a frame capable of internal through the headset maybe it's too much of a faff. Unless someone is aware of an integrated combo which retro-fits? Now that would be something which sells well! :cool:

Soldato
Hi all, not really sure if this is best for a new thread but want to get my dads old bike on the road. I know nothing about them so bear that in mind!
Bike; Specialized Allez Double 2010 (I think)
Wheels; CXP22 s6000 622x15
Tyres; Michelin Pro 3 (23-622, 700x23C)

I think the tyres are knackered as ive tried to pump them up and just nothing is happening, the bike has been sat in a garage for a good 6/7 years so they could probably do with being replaced anyway.

Can anyone recommend a quick/cheap way for me to just get this back on the road and then if I end up like getting out then I can always upgrade later. I just want to give bike riding a go in all honesty :)

EDIT: Having hunted around a bit, I think this is what I need....
Continental Race 28 Inner Tube - 700c (42mm Valve)
Continental Ultra Sport II Folding Road Tyre - 700c

Just over £32 for that which isn't too bad.

I think those can at least get me going again?

Last edited:
Soldato
Having briefly looked that sounds OK to me, with it being an older bike you’ll want to get 23mm wide (23c) tyres otherwise you could have issues fitting/rubbing.

Have you got some tyre levers to get the old ones off?

Soldato
Those bits will fit. Conti ultras aren't brilliant though - have a look at lifeline prime race or prime armour from wiggle for a great budget option

Soldato
Having briefly looked that sounds OK to me, with it being an older bike you’ll want to get 23mm wide (23c) tyres otherwise you could have issues fitting/rubbing.

Have you got some tyre levers to get the old ones off?
Yep the 23mm is the ones I have in the basket. I don't but will look at grabbing some.

Those bits will fit. Conti ultras aren't brilliant though - have a look at lifeline prime race or prime armour from wiggle for a great budget option
Thanks, yeah I hear the Conti Ultras are pretty decent but by no means the best. I just took a quick look at those they are bit more expensive, would it definitely be worth the difference or should I grab the Conti for now and see how I get on?

Im just wary of putting in even £50 and riding once before it goes back in the garage :D

Soldato
Honestly, if you've never ridden before you probably won't notice much difference
Awesome, cheers.

Would the next big jump up be the Gatorskin ones?

I am not fussed too much about the speed etc at the moment, I am just looking for the better puncture protection as I don't want to be replacing them often etc.

Soldato
The gatorskins really aren't great. Good puncture protection, but famous for being sketchy in the wet

Prime armour is definitely a better bet than a gatorskin. Schwalbe durano if you want a recognised name brand.

Back
Top Bottom