Road Cycling

Soldato
Tyre worm/plug. Will still need some gas or pump to put more air in.

I’m running GP5000, none tubeless. Great grip wet and dry, can’t complain about any aspect of them. The price has come down in the last 12 months too so they are sub £40 everywhere.

Soldato
Guys what tyres do you run? I used to be a massive fan of Michelin pro4 endurance.

Wondering if they're still the go to tyre? For weekend rides only, good puncture protection and good grip are key for me

Hutchinson Fusion5 Performance 11Storm in 28mm setup tubeless on my best bike. No punctures (now there's a kiss of death!) and they have more grip than I have testicular fortitude!

Soldato
Forgot to say I'm happy with the DHB shoes.

I've put my saddle up quite a bit and forward as the seat tube and set back seemed crazy. Also fitted new cleats which are making me feel comfier on the bike now.

Still not sold on the saddle as its super spongy, might try the arione on it now everything else feels better.

Soldato
I wouldn't patch that personally as they are quite large holes.

Tried to patch, no good. Will pick up a newer inner tube from Halfords tomorrow. I think I’ll go with these and hopefully get some decent miles out of them and if they are still no good then look into tubeless. I am not sure if my wheels can be fitted with them.

Man of Honour
Guys what tyres do you run? I used to be a massive fan of Michelin pro4 endurance.

Wondering if they're still the go to tyre? For weekend rides only, good puncture protection and good grip are key for me

Schwlabe Marathon Plus, because I got fed up of punctures in winter.

Summer bike I have Vittoria Slicks, but they will be replaced by something (possibly GP5000s if I get clinchers; some poncy tubulars if I don't)...

Soldato
Get two or three. I think I've got about 8 spare inner tubes at the moment, always have at least two with me when I ride... but there was a point I was going through three or four a week somehow!? (Hence my questions about tubeless! :) )
Not a bad idea, I'm wary of just spending on tubes when I add it up I probably could have gone tubeless at my current rate lol.

Soldato
I keep meaning to try and set up my wheels as tubeless (Mind you, I have a stash of inner tubes now! :( ) What is needed? I have the 'valve bit' that came with the wheels. I need a sealant and that's all? Do I need different tyre types?

I assume then, punctures are literally tears/holes in the tyre. How do you fix those, roadside?

On mountain bike (where tubeless really makes sense as the main benefit is low pressures not puncture protection despite what the marketing says) I still carry a tube to swap in.

Soldato
If you’re getting punctures that regularly I’d be checking rim tape, installation technique, tyre sidewalls and riding pressure (one of the Topeak digital gauges is handy but it tracks pretty accurately with my track pump).

Soldato
Wow. I didn't realise anyone besides product testers (like Aerocoach) would even consider buying into those.

I pump my tyres to around 85. Often they are at 70 by the time I pump them up again. No issues.

Soldato

I think that’s what your describing?

If so, ok will pick up a puncture repair kit and give it a go, would I use the little patches or the glue type substance in the bottle to patch those?
“Too little pressure” noted, a cheap learning curve thankfully. Always check the pressure/pump them up properly in the first place!

I will investigate tubeless tyres.

Sorry, missed the update, that looks a lot more than a standard snakebite puncture. It might be fixable, but not so straight forward, plus I'd probably be reluctant to use it again as a weight bearing rear tube.

Soldato
Sorry, missed the update, that looks a lot more than a standard snakebite puncture. It might be fixable, but not so straight forward, plus I'd probably be reluctant to use it again as a weight bearing rear tube.
No worries, yeah I tried to seal but no good unfortunately. Picked up a new tube from Halfords, bit more expensive than online but once you factor in postage etc its about the same. Will make sure I get the PSI right this time and hopefully this lasts longer than a couple days.

Soldato
Don't suppose anyone has any 6800 parts knocking about? I'm building up my boys planet X and thought 6800 is a good shout for stuff. It's a collar style FD, which I don't have but have a brand new braze on one! Typical. Trying to source some bargain parts

Back
Top Bottom