Road Cycling

Associate
Afternoon Gents, I'm new to this, so don't haze me too much, I'm looking to get more data on my cycling performance (i.e. calories burnt, wattage, etc). Is a good place to start a decent cycling computer to pair up with Strava and other devices like Heart rate monitor? If so, where's a good place to start?

Soldato
Bibs for around £100.

La Passione PSN, Giordana FRC Pro, Endura Pro SL. Any recommendations for or against either of these? The second two are the top end from their respective makes, the others are the mid range, their lowest end one the pad looks a little meh?

I have been riding the Rapha core in a M and have two pairs, the leg grippers aren’t my favourite style, they seem to wear and go see through reasonably quickly, but they aren’t “that” expensive. I’m not spending the money on the Pro teams as I don’t believe they are worth it.

The Castilli fit isn’t quite perfect on me at the top of the leg with my winter bibs from them. And in the cheaper ones with the KISS 3, I felt a little too big for a large but not big enough for the XL. Not in any one area, just a little all over.

Assos I had some, nice fitting but again the black faded quite quickly to a grey rather than going transparent. Maybe bad luck, lots of Australian sun, idk.

Associate
I guess it depends on your budget, but I would go Wahoo Bolt and a Tickr HRM alongside a Strava subscription. If you properly want to get into it, budget another £300+ for a power meter, but start with the computer and HRM :)
To be honest, those were exactly the computer & HRM that I had my eye on... so you've confirmed my decision to bite the bullet :D Thank you

Soldato
Bibs for around £100.

La Passione PSN, Giordana FRC Pro, Endura Pro SL. Any recommendations for or against either of these? The second two are the top end from their respective makes, the others are the mid range, their lowest end one the pad looks a little meh?

I have been riding the Rapha core in a M and have two pairs, the leg grippers aren’t my favourite style, they seem to wear and go see through reasonably quickly, but they aren’t “that” expensive. I’m not spending the money on the Pro teams as I don’t believe they are worth it.

The Castilli fit isn’t quite perfect on me at the top of the leg with my winter bibs from them. And in the cheaper ones with the KISS 3, I felt a little too big for a large but not big enough for the XL. Not in any one area, just a little all over.

Assos I had some, nice fitting but again the black faded quite quickly to a grey rather than going transparent. Maybe bad luck, lots of Australian sun, idk.

Monday was my first ride in my new pair of Endura Pro SL bibs. I'm 185cm, around 80kg - not sure of exact waist size but my 32" waist jeans are loose these days - and after some advice from Endura, I went for medium size, medium width pad & the longer length legs (4cm longer than the standard length). First off, hurrah for sensible sizing. It's nice not to be something like a 4XL in a silly Italian fit! I was worried the long leg length was too long trying them as they seemed to overlap onto my knee caps but once on the bike the length is spot on for me (just above the knee).

Anyway, I did 115km on Monday. The first time I really thought about the shorts was at 70km. Normally by then I'd have done the "bibshort shuffle" a few times when stopped at junctions and pulled the legs back down numerous times on the move. The extra leg length and silicon grippers is perfect IMHO - they didn't move at all when riding. Compression level from the fabric is bang on too - just enough so you notice it but nothing uncomfortable you can't wait to get off. Possibly the best shorts I've ever worn, that's comparing them against the older FS260 Pro SL, dhb Aeron Speed, Sportful Bodyfit Pro Ltd, Shutt Sanremo (they went back for a refund) and some others I forget.

Soldato
I prefer Endura FS260 over Endura Pro SL but I wouldn't say the Pro SL are bad. Often see the FS260 for £55ish which reminds me I need to keep an eye out for a new pair.

Soldato
cheers for the tyre recommendations guys, I'll have a digg around! :)

I've been playing with my garmin 800 and I remember what I disliked about the routes.. they're rubbish to navigate on and screen is carp.

I've been looking around at the new garmins, new wahoo's etc and is it me or are all the navs very basic?

I do want a proper turn by turn with street names so no breadcrumbs but it seems that you have to jump over a million hoops to get it to work properly.

ideally since I am new to the area I live in when it comes to cycling I'd like to simply load a route from ridewithgps -> computer -> follow.

sounds easy enough but doesn't seem to be the case.

what do you guys use these days? feels like using a phone is the easiest option but no ant+ support and big size/crap mounts mean it'd be a pain.

even with battery life at 4-5hrs.

Soldato
West Sussex? Please go have a go at Biggin Hill. Dreadful thing :D

Still using an Edge 810 here, though it's pretty unreliable. I've got turn by turn off as it crashes it.

Soldato
West Sussex? Please go have a go at Biggin Hill. Dreadful thing :D

Still using an Edge 810 here, though it's pretty unreliable. I've got turn by turn off as it crashes it.

Horsham! :)

I have not been on a bike for 3 years :o I think I'll start with something small, probably a 20-25 mile ride see how I feel etc.

my 800 used to crash often too, tempted by wahoo for that reason alone, user feedback even on new garmins seems to be similar with random crashes etc.

my one used to run out of battery, randomly crash and not turn on etc.

Soldato
I do want a proper turn by turn with street names so no breadcrumbs but it seems that you have to jump over a million hoops to get it to work properly.

I opted for a Wahoo ELEMNT due to it's nice big screen and two sets of LED's. I plan a route on Strava, hit sync on the Wahoo and then select the route. Seems easy enough to me?

It 'kind of' has turn by turn. As I approach the turn it tells me from about 800ft out that it is coming with the road name. If I miss a turn, no matter what page I'm on, the LED's flash red along the top. Stopped me within about 200m yesterday when I missed a turn.

I don't think, in a year of being used 5 or 6 times a week, that mine has ever crashed/lost a route or details. The only thing that seems to occasionally lose connection to it, funnily enough, is my Garmin Varia rear light. I would expect that is more Garmin's issue than Wahoo...

Soldato

I meant Bignor Hill *

You've got some decent roads down there. Though... quality is terrible in places especially in bright sunlight as you can't see holes through the shadows. You probably know that already though if you driven many of the lanes.

@Shamrock, @oli collett rode down that way last year. https://www.strava.com/activities/2305200997

If I was buying a new device now I'd go Wahoo.. most likely Bolt. I think they're going for about £160 at the moment.

Soldato
I meant Bignor Hill *

You've got some decent roads down there. Though... quality is terrible in places especially in bright sunlight as you can't see holes through the shadows. You probably know that already though if you driven many of the lanes.

@Shamrock, @oli collett rode down that way last year. https://www.strava.com/activities/2305200997

If I was buying a new device now I'd go Wahoo.. most likely Bolt. I think they're going for about £160 at the moment.

that is mad! I don't think I've got the leg muscles or endurance these days to push up a hill like that..

yeah roads are not great! but plenty of decent climbs to do once I'm back into it.

gotta keep pushing! :)

Soldato
I opted for a Wahoo ELEMNT due to it's nice big screen and two sets of LED's. I plan a route on Strava, hit sync on the Wahoo and then select the route. Seems easy enough to me?

It 'kind of' has turn by turn. As I approach the turn it tells me from about 800ft out that it is coming with the road name. If I miss a turn, no matter what page I'm on, the LED's flash red along the top. Stopped me within about 200m yesterday when I missed a turn.

I don't think, in a year of being used 5 or 6 times a week, that mine has ever crashed/lost a route or details. The only thing that seems to occasionally lose connection to it, funnily enough, is my Garmin Varia rear light. I would expect that is more Garmin's issue than Wahoo...

they've must've fixed it/updated it to work with strava, which one do you have?

as there's a few models.

I am probably looking into elemnt bolt as that seems to be good back for the buck and doesn't have the issues garmin does with freezing/crashing etc - you can imagine how frustrating that is.

Soldato
60km today and it was hot and heavy going. I really want to swap my gravel tyres to slimmer slicks. I'm torn on whether to do that or just get a 2nd bike, one summer and one winter.... Tell me what to do :p

Back
Top Bottom