Road Cycling

Associate
Yeah, it's happened before, I often can't actually tell why. I did push quite hard on Wednesday, but felt fine after it, ate well and slept well. I think it must just be the effort put in on Wed though. Likewise, last week at one point, I had a terrible nights sleep, woke feeling lethargic and heavy... then went out and smashed a ride, loads of PR's etc. Very odd sometimes.
Have you tried using something like high5? It helps with fatigue and recovery from loss off electrolytes etc?

Soldato
I think the tests aren't as reliable as they say.

So many people get two negatives and then a positive eventually.

I didn't get an official test but the mrs did get a positive result.

Bunch rides are in full swing here now it seems. Possibly 14 bodies today at the biggest point today.

I'm hoping I can get up to speed properly to be rolling with the big guns. I'm not sure how you get fitter than I've ever been and push the watts.

I'm mates with this guy https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/points?person_id=654&d=4&year=2015 and even now he doesn't train much he's back doing 23mph rides alone. We both go out and ride bikes hard but he's always faster and has more stamina.

Shouldn't be out in bunches yet man. It's 3 households only and no more than 8 people. If people are getting bunches and chainys going again it will only backfire and make "cyclists" all look like tossers for breaking the rules because of these few.
I'm desperate to get back to riding wheels and going quick. Totally fed up of this now. Even just having the local bunch back that one time per week would feel like a massive sigh of relief at the minute.

Soldato
I know mate, it wasn't the plan but as per usual cyclists being dicks.

Post on the bundy today saying to get out but stick to rules but the very fact it would be 8 people breaks the rules. His verdict is we're all fit and healthy and stay away if you don't feel well.

Soldato
I know mate, it wasn't the plan but as per usual cyclists being dicks.

Post on the bundy today saying to get out but stick to rules but the very fact it would be 8 people breaks the rules. His verdict is we're all fit and healthy and stay away if you don't feel well.

Not good. Can have this virus and feel totally fine and show no symptoms so that's a very silly stance. Rules say up to 8 but from 3 households. So as soon as there is more than 3 people at the bundy it is breaking rules instantly really. None of our lads out in more than a group of 3 because as soon as you even tickle rule breaking, riding about in your team kit and instantly the entire team will be getting pelted for it. You know what it is like and just not worth it.

I'm totally onboard with fact numbers are way down, risk is absolutely tiny etc. But you're in the area of Scotland where it has been worst by far. So even if up here in the Highlands, where we barely had the thing, we aren't ignoring rules then definitely shouldn't be ignoring them in central belt where it actually was a cause for concern IMO.

Not having a go at you at all by the way. Just speaking in general. I know you're not a bam. But a lot of other folk genuinely don't need to be given half the incentive to think it is OK because they just become even more complacent and willfully break rules because hey see another doing it and thinking it is alright..... then it's all of us who suffer, because they'll clamp down on cyclists or even worse, the virus could be spread that bit more again. Folk just need to chill. It's a few months of life to endure and they'll get back to what they want.

Soldato
Not good. Can have this virus and feel totally fine and show no symptoms so that's a very silly stance. Rules say up to 8 but from 3 households. So as soon as there is more than 3 people at the bundy it is breaking rules instantly really. None of our lads out in more than a group of 3 because as soon as you even tickle rule breaking, riding about in your team kit and instantly the entire team will be getting pelted for it. You know what it is like and just not worth it.

I'm totally onboard with fact numbers are way down, risk is absolutely tiny etc. But you're in the area of Scotland where it has been worst by far. So even if up here in the Highlands, where we barely had the thing, we aren't ignoring rules then definitely shouldn't be ignoring them in central belt where it actually was a cause for concern IMO.

Not having a go at you at all by the way. Just speaking in general. I know you're not a bam. But a lot of other folk genuinely don't need to be given half the incentive to think it is OK because they just become even more complacent and willfully break rules because hey see another doing it and thinking it is alright..... then it's all of us who suffer, because they'll clamp down on cyclists or even worse, the virus could be spread that bit more again. Folk just need to chill. It's a few months of life to endure and they'll get back to what they want.

Honestly mate, how we haven't had more people dead is just pure luck.

My neighbour has had her son/sons gf/her own bf up in the garden the whole time.

A friend who works in a call centre has had it, he thinks, so was going about with various people during lockdown.

So many people can justify their own actions really. My mate has worked all through this in a garage with 20+ other people. Each of them will have contact with various people when out shopping etc.

I'm out and about at the moment but as soon as my mrs works with the virus again I'll be seeing nobody.

Soldato
No group rides for me, I’ve seen some people doing it but I won’t be until it’s allowed officially.

Bit depressing sometimes riding on your own and time can go slowly but other days it’s great.

Soldato
Not really affected my training as most of it was done alone, been riding with the same couple of guys (father and son) once or twice a week since I had my off (not sure if my missus asked them to keep an eye on me) but as I've been riding off road since then nothing has changed as don't know many people who do longer distance off road stuff.
Had a bit of a smash fest on Saturday and bagged a load of top 10s on Strava so my training is obviously paying off. Was only aiming for sweet spot stuff for long Chunks too.

More news of another cx league being cancelled (surprising with the way things are changing currently) so it's going to be hella busy down here as our league looks to be going ahead at this point.

Had my insurance money through now so just on the hunt for a new bike with my soon to be received bike2work voucher, and sorted out my loose cannondale cranks and changed a rotor spider thanks to @Berger lending me his tool....

Soldato
Made the first significant change to the trusted Triban 5 today. I noticed that the tyres were becoming perished (5/6 years old) so i've thrown a set of Michelin Pro 4's on. Initial impressions, much better rolling resistance wise, and everything that was white lettering on the side is faster :p

Good mileage so far recently; bike was broken until the last few days of April. Since then managed 350 mile in May, 380 so far this month (including a 100 mile for charity). Next month at work there's a competition on who can cycle the highest distance across the month. Can't wait!

Gonna put a set of aero bars on too; not sure if I'll get on with them but there's a set on Wiggle for £40; if I don't like them no harm done :)

Planning on upgrading to a new-to-me (but second hand) bike towards the end of the year. Hoping for a carbon frame; gotta do some research first

Soldato
Too nice to ride the trainer. Almost perfect weather at 5pm tonight, sunny, mid 20s and a light to moderate breeze. More points if it had been a tailwind not a headwind up the climb I was doing reps of!

I felt good, enjoyed it and didn’t get any driver aggro!

Soldato
Had a blow out tonight 12 miles into my after work ride.
Luckily only around 8 miles from home. Wife came out to pick me up as the tyre was wrecked.

However, took me 2 hours to get new tyre to fit. Honestly have no idea what the problem was but the bloody thing would just not go on.
After a break for dinner & a couple of rum & gingers I went back into the garage & somehow managed to get the damn thing on.

Soldato
Had a blow out tonight 12 miles into my after work ride.
Luckily only around 8 miles from home. Wife came out to pick me up as the tyre was wrecked.

However, took me 2 hours to get new tyre to fit. Honestly have no idea what the problem was but the bloody thing would just not go on.
After a break for dinner & a couple of rum & gingers I went back into the garage & somehow managed to get the damn thing on.
Top tip if you didn’t know already, when putting a tyre on when it gets hard - go round the tyre pinching the bead into the centre of the rim then continue. Repeat until you have got the tyre on.

Some old and wise guy told me about that trick a few years ago.

Soldato
I got my new Prime wheels and the Vitoria Corsa Control in 25mm will not go on. I am talking impossible to the point I have had to call it quits.

Vitoria Corsa in 25mm went on by hand.

The scenes in my garage were rated 18 that day.

Soldato
I got my new Prime wheels and the Vitoria Corsa Control in 25mm will not go on. I am talking impossible to the point I have had to call it quits.

Vitoria Corsa in 25mm went on by hand.

The scenes in my garage were rated 18 that day.

You don't know pain until you've tried to mount a brand new challenge limus open tubular the night before a race.

Soldato
any of you guys have sleeveless jerseys? I am not a big fan of tight short sleeve jerseys and prefer sleeveless tops for cycling but can't seem to find anything decent without spending 80-90 for a jersey.

Associate
I’m new to cycling (35, unfit and overweight) until I got a bike end of April (£200 Halfords hybrid with mountain bike wheels and gearing). I’ve been keeping my rides to below 1 hour due to life commitments and have made good progress with 5kg weight loss and average speed from 11mph to 15.8 today.

If I continue to do sub 1 hour rides will probably I still be able to do longer rides with time as my fitness improves? Or do I need to build in slower longer rides? I have friends that do 30-50 mile rides and would like to aim to be able to join them at a social pace ride in the future. My plan is to keep riding 25-30 miles a week and get a kicker snap when the weather isn’t so nice (hopefully second hand turbo trainers will be available come winter), which will allow me to do rides at odd times of longer distance.

Soldato
any of you guys have sleeveless jerseys? I am not a big fan of tight short sleeve jerseys and prefer sleeveless tops for cycling but can't seem to find anything decent without spending 80-90 for a jersey.

I literally just ordered a second one (one came yesterday) from Wiggle. Search Sportful Sleeveless (Strike?). White is £47, other colours are £52.

Had an interesting ride with two colleagues yesterday, into London in rush hour! We then went out along the Thames to Richmond Park. Back home and 50 miles later and I'm rather tired this morning! Richmond Park is lovely though. I'd like to go back to do a few laps another time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m new to cycling (35, unfit and overweight) until I got a bike end of April (£200 Halfords hybrid with mountain bike wheels and gearing). I’ve been keeping my rides to below 1 hour due to life commitments and have made good progress with 5kg weight loss and average speed from 11mph to 15.8 today.

If I continue to do sub 1 hour rides will probably I still be able to do longer rides with time as my fitness improves? Or do I need to build in slower longer rides? I have friends that do 30-50 mile rides and would like to aim to be able to join them at a social pace ride in the future. My plan is to keep riding 25-30 miles a week and get a kicker snap when the weather isn’t so nice (hopefully second hand turbo trainers will be available come winter), which will allow me to do rides at odd times of longer distance.

Well done on the weight loss and for taking up cycling buddy :)

30-50 miles rides will certainly be marginally easier once you try one if you have a good bout of 1 hour-ish rides behind you.... but you will still struggle until you have worked up to and done those distances. Marathon runners don't run 10K's for a while and then just go and try a marathon. You need to work up to it. Whilst you most likely will be able to complete 30-50 miles of course, you can make things much easier on yourself if you build up to it progressively.

Just enjoy riding the bike at this point. Do 1 hour, do 90mins. Fair enough looking on the data after you finish the ride but most importantly just enjoy riding and the heaps of natural fitness gains (and weight loss!) you will see as you go. It really is a joy when you first get going :)

Set yourself a target. Lets say 2 hours riding. Once you achieve that then progress that target to a 30 mile ride with your friends. As you inevitably achieve these things you keep moving that target a little more and then looking back in a few months to come you will truly see laid out in front of you just how much you ave progressed over time.

But truly try to appreciate the joy of being outdoors on a bike and what it brings. So easy to get caught up in negatives with riding bikes from all angles but at the root of it, being out in the fresh air, mooching about on a bike is deep rooted awesome.

Back
Top Bottom