Road Cycling

Soldato
Wiggle had the PC1130's up last week but I left it incase there was some on Prime deals (none) and see they've all gone... I have one PC1130 left on the shelf so I'm kinda ok until probably the winter as I'll just ride the current one a bit longer, but if you spot any let me know...
They popped up yesterday so I ordered a few. Looks like out of stock again but at least this time you can set stock alert https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pc-1130-11-speed-chain

Only 120link version were available... just means more wastage as I think even with 114 I cut off 4-6 links.

Soldato
Wonder if he'd put his money where his mouth is and only take 50% and then the following 50% after 6months if the after fit experience is so good!

OMS bike whisperer sounds bloody good, good to hear you're freer moving now as well, although sounds like you've got some quite big issues from previous adventures causing you pain and discomfort. We're obviously all naturally imbalanced but the less breakages and injuries you've had through the years the better it seems!

Definitely. Pretty sure my problems stem from doing bugger all through my teenage years apart from sitting hunched over a computer and/or guitar. :p

Soldato
They popped up yesterday so I ordered a few. Looks like out of stock again but at least this time you can set stock alert https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-pc-1130-11-speed-chain

Only 120link version were available... just means more wastage as I think even with 114 I cut off 4-6 links.
Ah out again and no option to set an alert for me. What was the damage on them?

Looking they do have the SRAM PC1170 in stock for £35 - which I picked up from the LBS last year mid lockdown for £33 with my discount, so not too terrible a price really!

Guess the years of running and picking up the PC1130 for £13 and not worrying about changing them early as they're cheap are over! :cry::rolleyes:

Do need another couple of things from Wiggle actually. More chamois cream being one of them, I'll grab the Assos as usual, but what was the other one everyone here liked? May give it a try.

Zwift WTRL TTT last night on a new course. Brutal and warm again (22 C) but performed well. Power on par from the past few months - even after an easier couple of weeks (jab #1 & illness). Excluding the descents and an ease for a teammate - 251W average for me with my FTP currently set at 248W. Really happy with that after the last couple of weeks -also after increasing my Zwift weight by 2kg (as that's going the wrong way currently!) :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely. Pretty sure my problems stem from doing bugger all through my teenage years apart from sitting hunched over a computer and/or guitar. :p
It's actually a concern I have now too. Never really had much problem fit wise before but last 6 months or so I just haven't felt right on my bikes. I'm wondering if maybe work from home, less walking (used to walk to work), and potentially a bad position at desk have had some effects. I had a virtual ergo assessment with work and they replaced the chair but have to say I don't think I've felt super comfortable in it.

New bed/mattress/sofa too.. Lots of variables. I think the only real solution is a bike fit which I'll have to get scheduled in for. Shame the waiting lists are all super long :(

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's actually a concern I have now too. Never really had much problem fit wise before but last 6 months or so I just haven't felt right on my bikes. I'm wondering if maybe work from home, less walking (used to walk to work), and potentially a bad position at desk have had some effects. I had a virtual ergo assessment with work and they replaced the chair but have to say I don't think I've felt super comfortable in it.

New bed/mattress/sofa too.. Lots of variables. I think the only real solution is a bike fit which I'll have to get scheduled in for. Shame the waiting lists are all super long :(

I think this is definitely a big factor. Although I spent half year off the bike, I had to do lots of things to get back to fitness and found my position is not as comfortable as it once was. My day job is working at a computer, I built a standing desk and reduced the chair and it helped a lot.

Soldato
2004 crew checking in, think 2002 was the OG year though.

Did a bit pish at my crit last night. Raining constantly and it was faster than the dry last week (26ish Vs 25ish mph average).

I was cautious in corners and having to work a bit too hard out of some but was fine in others. One guy came down in a fast bend and the next lap a rider was in the bushes as, going by Strava, he turned to shout at someone and ended up off course.

I chased most attacks down with the bunch, tried to get in a move with my mate but ultimately the one after that stuck and 4 got away. Tried my best to get across and went from a potential 5th from a bunch sprint to coasting in with my mate just behind the bunch. The amount of energy used in the wet is crazy, concentrating soooo much.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found the damage to my bike. Anyone used the Canyon crash replacement scheme before? Is it worth pursuing this or my cover under my house insurance (renewal due next month.)

buE5o4D.jpg

Soldato
Would avoid going down insurance for a fork, probably after excess it won't be much more. Try canyon first see what they offer!

Solid 4 hours this morning for 77miles,longest ride I've done in a while, but can't not when the weather is as good as it is today.

Soldato
I've dropped them a message to see what the deal is but not holding my breath on it being as easy as ordering a bike (not that it is easy to get your hands on one at the moment...) Bike isn't one of the standard colours and there is the general parts shortage to deal with too...

Excess is £200 and looks like it puts up the renewal £80 for next year. So if I can go through Canyon it would be better... I expect insurance would want a repair too (which is always a self funded option I guess.)

Soldato
Doubt insurance would repair that fork tbh.

Claim for a full frame/bike or a cash settlement as part of the bigger crash. You could have delamination to the top tube if the bars hit it when turned and your bars are carbon if it's the setup I'm thinking of?

Soldato
Integrated carbon stem and handlebars. If it went round it would have hit the top frame with the handlebar tape softening the blow? My gut feeling is the top of the forks failure would have saved the rest of the bike but probably helped by wishful thinking.

I think a more realistic view is that my house insurance wouldn't provide a better return to my previous situation for less the it would cost me as they would do the minimum possible (i.e. replace or repair the forks or actually worse and give me the money to do this saving none of the hassle and cost me more!). If the choice was being paid the £3.5k it is insured for in the claim, I'd take that and take my chances on the long lead times of a new bike but this would be wishful thinking and not minimising the insurers losses.

Soldato
Unless they paid for it to be scanned I can't see an insurer willing to put in writing that the frame is safe to ride after a crash bad enough to break a steerer tube.

They usually ask for a bike shop assesment and a bike shop doesn't have an ultrasound so can't guarantee the safety of the frame.

Soldato
I took the forks out to have a look on the inside this morning and I couldn't see any damage on the frame around the forks. I was going to put a usb endoscope through the bike but it proved to be a bit too much taking the forks off so have abandoned that idea until I'm a bit stronger.

If replacing the frame because it might have damage just raises the question of, should the carbon wheels then also be replaced because they might have hidden damage? Just seems like a insurance nightmare and goes back to my statement where I would take the cash value of what it is insured for. But no insurer is going to want to do that.

Soldato
I went for a 45 mile ride on the weekend and it's finally dawned on me. Fixie's are great fun for city riding and where it's not too hilly... Chuck in a few hills and surprise surprise they are not so fun.

Had a really fun ride but my thighs are killing today. Everyone else who had gears are completely fine and 2 days later and I still can't walk normally. I've been saying as soon as we get our shed built, I'll look into getting a road bike. But after enjoying that ride I want to get a road bike sooner than later and I'll just use my friends garage for the time being.

I'm going to count my self as a novice when it comes to road cycling. I've only really owned cheap mountain bikes and BMXs when growing up, a Hoy Hybrid as my adult bike and this fixed gear bike I got last year. So ultimately I know very little about road cycling as I've never once ridden a road bike and I suppose my track fixie is the closest I've been to a road bike geometry.

Ideally I wouldn't like to go any higher than £2000 but from my little bit of researching I've done I've released what seemed like a lot of money to me actually gets you very little. I've got my eyes on a Canyon CF SL7 as it passes the eye test (that matte black is literally my favourite thing about it) and I quite like the idea of having a geared bike that is lighter than my fixie (about 8kg) but I've no idea if that bike is worth the money or if I'm paying extra for the Canyon name?

Also quite like the look of the BMC Teammachine AL but it's not my favourite. There was a few others but I think I'm just picking names I know rather than picking a bike on it's own merits. I was looking at PlanetX last year but their choice seems to have dwindled down a fair bit.

As someone who hasn't ever ridden a road bike before, would i even notice the difference between a 105 or Ultegra? I can't imagine I would so I'd have thought sticking with 105 or equivalent would be the sensible option to save a few pennies?

Soldato
Ideally I wouldn't like to go any higher than £2000 but from my little bit of researching I've done I've released what seemed like a lot of money to me actually gets you very little.

I'm far from an expert and others that no more will be along soon I'm sure, but from my research, there's different brackets really. I think £2k is fine to start things off, I think you'll be looking in the upper end of that bracket. If you want to go to digital gears then you move up a bracket and are perhaps looking around £4k.

I've got my eyes on a Canyon CF SL7 as it passes the eye test

In my research I was told that actually you get a lot of bike for your money with Canyon as it's sold online, so smaller mark-up than perhaps ones you buy in a shop.

Back
Top Bottom