1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Cycling

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by FrenchTart, 29 Jun 2016.

1. SoliD

Capodecina

2. Beenom

Hitman

Absolutely! There's no way I'd purchase at rrp. But at this price I couldn't say no:

[​IMG]

Protein bar has a best before date of Feb 2022, carb drink (320kcal!) Apr 2023, gel and bar Aug 2022, although I'll have no issues consuming these beyond those dates :cry:.

3. Martynt74

Capodecina

That's impressive for a carb drink, i usually use their SIS Go and that's only around 190kcal.

Those energy bake things are pretty tasty too i think.

4. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Yeah, I just noticed it's like 300+ cals! Could be handy for some of my trips next summer though. I bought 11 of the packs, to get free postage too. Not bad for a touch over £20 really.

5. Martynt74

Capodecina

Let me know how it tastes, i wonder if it might taste a little "thick" rather than the normal stuff. Might make it trickier to digest on runs. Although i guess it still needs to work in a sports bottle.

Good shout on buying 11 packs actually, it makes it decent value. I have the annual postage thing so might order a few to use that!

6. Shadowness

Mobster

Beta fuel and Maurten 320 are my go to for long rides. Taste wise, Beta fuel is ok. I bought a batch of orange ones on sale, I get on with it ok. Maurten is like sweet water, it doesn't really have a flavour, but it's easy to get down and does the job.

7. xdcx

Mobster

We have here a fella who has never experienced an out of date lumpy gel yet.... That'll change you for life :p

8. Martynt74

Capodecina

I've had some 2 years out of date and not lumpy. What the hell are you buying? :p

9. xdcx

Mobster

I think most gels I consume are out of date and 99% of the time are fine.
    Just you wait! :p

10. SoliD

Capodecina

Haha its like strong alcohol with the stuff they put in them there is no way they can ever really Go bad...

11. Martynt74

Capodecina

It's just too easy. I tend to only use gels when running over 2 hours, below that and i'm generally fine with just a carb drink. However i often buy huge packs of them when they're on sale and they sit in the cupboard until a time comes that i actually need them!

12. Roady

Sgarrista

This!

For someone who had 'mixed results' and after effects from some gels, I only a couple of times had them out of date. Once or twice I had a lumpy or suspect kinda odd/off taste to them so was very dubious! :rolleyes:

13. AndyCr15

Capodecina

On the verge of booking an Mallorca Cycling trip next March. Any suggestions/advice on a bike box?

14. SoliD

Capodecina

Bikeboxalan

15. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Hmm, I'd probably be hoping to find a second hand one at those prices. What are thoughts on the Planet X one for £149?

16. Martynt74

Capodecina

I know you obviously have a very good bike, but depending on how long you’re going for, does it not make more sense to just hire something for a week over there?

Hugely less hassle/risk and I’d have thought price would be similar due to the charges airlines charge.
    Obviously it depends on whether you can hire a comparable bike I guess.

17. SoliD

Capodecina

Fly ba, bike included. Bike hire currently is about 250 per week for an average 105 type bike. I find taking a bike isn't that much hassle, my missus usually checks it in for me whilst I park with another bag of luggage and shes pretty small and not that strong.

@AndyCr15 no clubs local to you that may have one to rent? Could borrow my evoc one but you'd have to come collect it.

18. AndyCr15

Capodecina

The extra was £90. For 5 days the bikes started at £100 and definitely weren't comparable to mine. I was tempted to go all out and hire a £12k bike for the trip, but would be around £500 :cry:

Very kind of you to offer, as it goes one of my cycle club buddies has offered me his BBA for the trip, so looks like we're all sorted :)

All in I've paid about £600 for five days cycling in Mallorca, my own single room, extra leg room on the flight. Was more than I originally planned, but doesn't seem too bad.

19. Martynt74

Capodecina

Ah that's fair enough then. I know i've made similar decisions before with my paddle board vs renting, i just wasn't sure how prices were for hires and there's the benefit of reduced risk of damage etc. I guess it makes more of a difference when it's a proper cycling holiday vs just going out a couple of times for rides.

£600 for 5 days including flights and accommodation seems pretty decent to be fair. Is this in place of the NC500 trip or as well as?

20. AndyCr15

Capodecina

No, as well. I'm also going to the Alps with my local cycle club in late June. If I'm having some time off work, I want to make the most of it!