Road Cycling

Soldato
Another new gutties post for me. Went down to a 43.5 in a DMT SH1. Fits nicely with a thin sock compared to the Lakes. Felt pretty decent riding hard/sprinting etc as the heel cup is sollllllllid and stays in place. I still think I could perfect the left hand one with some sort of insole as that foot is slightly smaller but I'm getting there. :D

I need to get actual white socks now :cry:

Soldato
I swear I’m going to break a shin bone since getting road shoes. The number of times I’ve not quite been right and sliding off the pedal sending it spinning round into my shin is getting ridiculous.

What’s worse is my ability to clip in seems to have gotten worse! I found it ok originally.

Had a nice ride tonight out to the coast at Lytham. Had hoped to get a sunset but was too far around the bay by the lighthouse (if anyone knows it). Had I been up towards St Anne’s I think it would’ve been a great picture.

Soldato
@Jonny ///M - loving those, they look lovely!

@Martynt74 That sounds like a painful lesson each time! Did you replace the pedals cause I can remember the ones that came with the bike were quite worn?

Had a nice gentle ride out to Bath and back with my partner as my mum babysat so we stopped off for a nice riverside dinner and glass of wine. Probably not what you're supposed to do when 'exercising' but it was too nice to pass up! zh0WNv5.jpg
Couldn't resist another photo opportunity!

I really need to find a cycling group to push me as I feel I'm not getting that little extra push from my friends just because I spend more time in or out on my bike. Why some of you don't live in/closer to Bristol is starting to wind me up :mad:

Soldato
Questions incoming!

1 - Has anyone tried the cheaper Quadlock style cases on Amazon? - There is a slight nervousness as i'm sure the Iphone 6 and Iphone 8 were different shapes, but this groups them all together. Seems to be around half the price of a proper Quadlock case. Had tried Ebay with it being an older model, but sales are fairly minimal.

2 - Are there any issues connecting both a HR strap and Power meter to an iphone? I know there are limited connections

3 - Is there a good app to use for Cycling for mapping, but also to display HR/Cadence/Power as you would get on a Garmin unit? I was thinking Strava, but i'm not seeing an option to link a power meter, only a HR monitor. I've tried googling it but it's all about post activity and not during.

I've been eyeing up a Garmin 830, but would like to see how useful it is over my basic cycling computer first. My rides will top out around the 3hour mark i imagine for the time being so battery shouldn't be an issue.

Soldato
You'd be connecting via BT, and that can only have one connection, so it would be one or the other as far as I'm aware. Might be able to get some sort of Ant+ adapter maybe?

Maybe, although that's then starting to get into the point where i'm probably spending more than i'd like just to avoid buying the device i actually want anyway!

Soldato
@Roady did your wahoo fail ? if so after how long? Had mine go after like 9 months! been replaced but bit annoying as was hoping after the comments on here it'd last a while, although I can't fault the warranty process.
Still going strong since 30/12/2016 mate (paid £190 for it!). It's had a few quirks, but nothing the last couple of years. Maybe once or twice I've had an unexpected 'power off'. It did get very slow at one point - after kiddo (4.5 years ago) which I thought was the number of activities on it so cleared it, but not 'recently'. I think at one point I blamed maps and 'un-starred' a bunch of them from Strava so it sync less, but it's still got a lot on there from RWGPS so not sure. Maybe it was firmware/software and updates fixed it. It still see's an update every few weeks and happily installs it. I seem to think I've 'seen' it crash more when following a route - which isn't something I've done a huge amount of the last few years.

Zones are definitely off. I've only just started using Garmin setup over the last 5 rides, so I'm still getting the hang of things. Right now my zones are auto set up based on a prev max of 187 which puts Zone 5 at 163. I think Zone 4 is probably more realistic.

Will the system automatically update based a true max effort?

In another life, I was an elite lifter and I have a resting heart rate of 38.

P.s. Mesh nets are cardinal sin
Haha I know the mesh 'string vests' are certainly not a fashion statement!

Some systems will auto-calculate your Zones based on a max HR value, but we're all quite a bit different on what our 'zones' actually are and should be set as. But I'd say start there. You can get really complicated testing to precisely calculate your exact zones, but for most of us training in these 'zones' will largely adapt us to them anyway, so we get the benefits and settle into the 'right' zone. Plenty of others here who can describe it better than I ever could!

Soldato
Another new gutties post for me. Went down to a 43.5 in a DMT SH1. Fits nicely with a thin sock compared to the Lakes. Felt pretty decent riding hard/sprinting etc as the heel cup is sollllllllid and stays in place. I still think I could perfect the left hand one with some sort of insole as that foot is slightly smaller but I'm getting there. :D

These look smart. I'm on my second pair of these Fizik's (Triathlon orientated). Full BOA is sooo smart and perfect for getting the right comfort. They are full carbon so incredibly solid with a knitted upper for quick drying. Can be a bit chilly in winter but fine with a decent sock. They never leave the pedals so cleats (new speedplay) are long lasting. Just means I walk around in my socks :D

gAhM1eQ.jpg

Soldato
Zones are definitely off. I've only just started using Garmin setup over the last 5 rides, so I'm still getting the hang of things. Right now my zones are auto set up based on a prev max of 187 which puts Zone 5 at 163. I think Zone 4 is probably more realistic.

Will the system automatically update based a true max effort?

In another life, I was an elite lifter and I have a resting heart rate of 38.

P.s. Mesh nets are cardinal sin
https://intervals.icu/ (donate-ware) will generate heart zones based on your actual data, along with some other useful stats.

I was using https://crickles.casa/ for a few years to get info like heart zones, but their methodology got rather silly in recent times, it would lower the LTHR estimate when I'd blatently just done a pootle rather than a threshold interval ride!

For comparison, intervals reckons my z4 top (LTHR) is 170, crickles reckons it's 153, yet both have access to https://www.strava.com/activities/7396819040/analysis from 1st July! :cry:

Soldato
Treat yourself, don't cheat yourself

Seems like the new Explore 2 works for me actually.

When I saw it didn’t support power it meant a lot of fancy power output readings that other Garmins offer, but would still see normal power output.

Similarly it doesn’t offer workouts which again doesn’t interest me.

Plus it gives me a bigger screen and so feels like the perfect option for me.

Order to be placed :)

Soldato
Well done mate (well, aside going Garmin... :p )

Some of myclub mates doing an 85 mile sportive today. I've thought better of it looking at the forecast. A lovely 100k yesterday and a leisurely (early) 40 or 50 miles today I think.

Yesterday the legs finally felt good. Like it's taken two weeks to get over the Alps :cry:

Soldato

I've not quite found my goldilocks shoe either. Bike fit left me with Sidi Genius 10 but since they've loosened up I think they're too big - especially with thin socks on :(

He put in the 44.5 and from reading around Sidi half sizes are no longer but more voluminous. That's strange considering my feet are quite low volume - narrow and somewhat flat! I tried the regular insoles (instead of G8) and I'm effectively swimming in them. I may have to order the 44 and try that on then try sell on the 44.5.

Back
Top Bottom