1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Cycling

Discussion in 'Pedal Powered' started by FrenchTart, 29 Jun 2016.

1. Robzere31

Mobster

Poor effort for 2017. Combination of loss of interest in cycling & generally doing other things.
    Didn't acheive any of my 2017 targets. :(

[​IMG]

2. One More Solo

Capodecina

As long as you have a comfortable bike and a decent nutrition plan, you'll get round alright. :) A flat 200km isn't a massive step up from a century, even if your fitness isn't where it could be.

3. physichull

Sgarrista

Lots of people in my club do them and our club run two aduaxes a year, the Mere 200 and the Wizard and the Llamas. A few have completed the RRTY award and I figure I might give it a go. Doesn't have to be completed in a calendar year, so strictly I could start in February. I've signed up to the January Newport audax anyway, in order to provide the correct "motivation".

4. physichull

Sgarrista

I wonder if they would count towards the RRTY award...?

5. Saytan

Mobster

They're official events. I believe you can count them towards paris-brest-paris entry if you follow the rules

6. Jonny ///M

Capodecina

Didn't make 5k as I was gubbed most of December with the flu and alcohol!

Happy with what I achieved though.

[​IMG]

7. UTmaniac

Soldato

Not that I've sat on a saddle yet since last Thursday, but I've noticed this morning that the Strava January Climbing Challenge is only 7500m instead of 8000m.

Are Strava lowering the target, or is this normal, along the lines of typical winter weather making it harder to reach 8000m?

8. Lethal`

Soldato

I think every gran fondo last year was 100km so I'd say they are... The previous year they went up to 140km IIRC.

Along with making every new segment attempt a "PR". My number of PRs for months after October climbed incredibly... I did a lot of new roads. It makes me dismiss the results now as I can't be bothered determining which PRs are actually improvements vs which are just new roads I've now ridden once.

I guess it's possible something like Stravistix may address this issue in a future update.

9. Shadowness

Mobster

The Strava challenges were rubbish last year, hope they bring some more interesting ones out this year.

10. UTmaniac

Soldato

Just been googling last year's early climbing challenges (before I knew about them full stop) and the early months were 7500m or even 6000m, they went to 8000m in June.

So maybe it is seasonal, given how indoor turbo sessions don't count, but then it seems a bit odd to me that December was 8000m... Not that I issues getting there. ;)

11. Lethal`

Soldato

I didn't spend all that much time cycling in London in December... as a result I probably did over 20% of my climbing for the year last month :D

12. Shadowness

Mobster

Woohoo! My first trip of the year on Saturday has been cancelled. More time in the saddle for me then :)

13. physichull

Sgarrista

Somebody didn't check the wind speeds in the weather forecast for today....around commuting home time....

14. Roady

Sgarrista

My commute home (west) at lunchtime was interesting... Pushing 300W and burying myself on a 2% incline to maintain 14mph... The ride back was fun though, 27mph on the flat freewheeling...!

15. physichull

Sgarrista

More worried about gusty crosswinds blowing me into:

a, a farmers field

or

b, a car

16. UTmaniac

Soldato

... And you still got a third overall. Can I flag it? ;)

17. Roady

Sgarrista

Oh that too! Shame I didn't put more of an effort in on my way back.

Naaah I was obviously pushing a bit judging by that avg HR lol

Interesting. My cadence spikes are back which implies my cadence sensor has stopped and my ELEMNT is using the Powertap C1's guesstimated cadence reading (which I know is bogus). Grr!

18. rnickster

Gangster

Hi all, Happy New Year!

Me and the g/f are looking at turbo trainers and I have a quick question which I was hoping one of you clever chaps might be able to help with...

My bike has a 10 speed 105 groupset and she has a newer 11 speed 105 groupset on her bike. We are looking at the Kickr SNAP and whilst I have a spare rear wheel which I figured I could use for both, I'm realising this might not be possible because we not the same speed groupset?

If I put a rear cassette on the wheel is there one which would be compatible with both bikes so we only have to have one wheel for the turbo or do we both need our own rear wheels for the turbo?!! (and cassettes!) ugh.

19. merlin

Capodecina

Why bother with a spare wheel, why not just use your usual wheels?

20. rnickster

Gangster

Because it is my understanding that turbo's wreck normal tyres? So I don't fancy changing my tyre and my g/f tyre each time we want to go from turbo to outside.