Road Cycling

Soldato
Clearance for gobbling cobbles on 28's is a goer :cool:

2rClDNym.jpg aKBcO7gm.jpg

Also, has anyone used Juice Lubes Bearing Grease in their free-hub? Pulled my DT240 apart this evening and it was pretty tidy still but cleaned it up anyway and used some JLBG sparingly as it's pretty thick and viscous.

General consensus is most greases are fine in addition to the DT branded/specified stuff. It's definitely quieter, not that the noise bothered me but I'm wondering if a thicker grease would impede efficient free-wheeling (i.e. reduce coasting distance).

Soldato

Also, has anyone used Juice Lubes Bearing Grease in their free-hub? Pulled my DT240 apart this evening and it was pretty tidy still but cleaned it up anyway and used some JLBG sparingly as it's pretty thick and viscous.

General consensus is most greases are fine in addition to the DT branded/specified stuff. It's definitely quieter, not that the noise bothered me but I'm wondering if a thicker grease would impede efficient free-wheeling (i.e. reduce coasting distance).

my experience is that the noise rapidly goes back to normal and with it any sense of impedance. It'd be a watt max anyway

Soldato
Yeah but as time goes on it'll be less likely CRC will give me a 'full refund'. Even now I'm beyond their initial 30 days so the refund will be in CRC 'credit'. Now as they don't stock the Direto (yet!) that's not very helpful... Wiggle stock both, so I'd hope they would eventually mirror stock/suppliers/ranges? Although who knows!

The power issue... My FTP previously (September) was around 275W (Vortex over-reading), along with outside efforts being around the same figure.
I was getting ill around the same time as that last race, but most of those race efforts where pulling hard to place teammates in overall (CVR League) or on climbs to try and keep in lead groups, so fairly constant threshold efforts. I've increased volume and getting back on track (really feeling like I've recovered) but none of my recent race efforts have hit back up to 3.5w/kg, nevermind 3.7-3.8w/kg yet!

Haydn, another heads up route for a Direto deal for you...
https://www.topcashback.co.uk/probikekit/ (6% if new customer, 4% if existing)
Go to PBK through TCB site, but for reference, they have Direto on offer at £634.49 with a free towel https://www.probikekit.co.uk/turbo-...art-b-power-meter-turbo-trainer/11526674.html

With 6% TCB, you would effectively pay ~£596.

Bought my Direto through PBK week before Xmas, when they sent me a 15% voucher code, arrived before the festivities.

Soldato
I'll need to take a closer look at those links later but I will say that my FTP dropped quite a bit when I got the direto, previously had a Tacx Flow. I put this down to firstly being in the off-season so I'd slacked off a little, but mainly because the direto is much more accurate. The flow was rated around 10% -/+ in accuracy. Last night's test suggested that my devices are probably correct. Yours might be too?
Roady - excuse me not going on an in-depth search but what's the complaint with the Flux exactly?

Goes without saying the Vortex over-read by easily 8% (that's my estimate anyway - I saw a drop of at least 8%, maybe even 10% when going from Vortex to 4iiii) and you are aware of that - so if your power remains down (by Vortex standards) by let's say 8% / 10% ish, then what's the issue?

I'm actually taking it as a challenge to get back to my old (Vortex) FTP of 248w, last FTP using my 4iiii was 222w. Make it more fun and less costly by keeping what you've got and just trying harder. :p
What I'm seeing is the Vortex was over reading slightly, maybe 30-40W over my PWM. Now the Flux seems to be under reading the Vortex by 60-70W, so is under reading my PWM by around 30-40W. Seemingly higher at higher wattages. I can barely hit & hold 500W sprinting on the Flux at max efforts, being able to hit 700-800W on my PWM outside for similar short sprints.

Doesn't help that around the time I changed Vortex to Flux I dropped volume, then got ill dropping more as I didn't commute or race, then the snow happened. I was around 16 days without any riding or commuting - only 1 Zwift base ride in the middle. Probably the longest I've spent off the bike for several years! :o

I need something to brag about since I can't seem to compete with you lot when it comes to absolute power.:(
Funny you should say that... Nicely leads into what I was going to post about...

Beast from the East v2 starting has changed the general wind direction here the last few days so I've had a slight cross tailwind when riding home (rather than usual cross/head wind). The extra volume I did on Zwift the last couple of weeks has started to re-energise my legs (and also low fatigue as not Zwifted since sunday). Tuesday night on a fairly usual commute home I felt the wind drop (slight tailwind) as I was heading for the second of the two ramps I have on my commute home, so I gunned it (478W avg over 32s). I hadn't carried enough speed on the flat section before it so although my power was good, my time still 5s down on my PR.

Yesterday riding home for lunch and driving back in (dentist later) I decided to have another go as the wind direction was similar. The first of the two ramps on my way home I again felt the wind drop so went for that one instead, smashing my PR by 6s with 464W over 55s. Really pleased with that one as felt I had more at the bottom and could've held on longer at the top.

I'm still in 20th & 12th places respectively on the segments, would be nice to get top 10's on them this year but with the local chaingang occasionally going that direction, along with the previous NFTO pro team being around the leaderboard there's some real competition. Roads are rough with numerous potholes I have to dodge, I've ridden both segments 660 times so plenty of 'training'! ;)

2rClDNym.jpg aKBcO7gm.jpg

Good clearance! What tyres? Not much tread if the cobbles are wet & dirty! :o

I know DT are very particular about what type of grease to use in their freehubs, but their DT branded specific stuff is expensive. Rose list a different DT grease which might be better? It's listed as having 5% mineral oil so might explain how thin it is compared to standard light grease.

The old 'DT internals' hub I had on some Roval wheels I bought this finishline light grease for, but it was too thick for the DT ratchet system. It has worked fine on other freehubs (shimano & Axis) with pawls. I did hunt around and had considered buying this DT grease & pawl kit but couldn't find enough info about the grease and if it was the same as the other stuff (for twice the price). Playing around I did put finish line green lube in the freehub and it worked, but lube was too light and leaked out when I left it on my worktop (it's an old 10 speed hub I was looking for an 11 speed freehub for but about given up that idea now, new hub is cheaper).

I'm indifferent to the noise or any lack of, I could do with a lighter multi-purpose grease just to have on hand. Any recommendations?
The finishline light waterproof stuff I got is good, I've used it loads for various things (pedal spindles, freehubs, wheel bearings) but it is white and a bit gunky/gloopy. Great waterproofing though! I use a 'morgan blue aquaproof paste' for thicker stuff, threads and for sealing bearings from the elements.

The old 'pink' weldtite grease I used to use was ok, yet kinda between the two which generally meant it wasn't thin or thick enough for most applications. Great to have it in a 'gun' though! Still use it for some threads I don't overly care about (mudguards?), but it's not waterproof.

Haydn, another heads up route for a Direto deal for you...
https://www.topcashback.co.uk/probikekit/ (6% if new customer, 4% if existing)
Go to PBK through TCB site, but for reference, they have Direto on offer at £634.49 with a free towel https://www.probikekit.co.uk/turbo-...art-b-power-meter-turbo-trainer/11526674.html

With 6% TCB, you would effectively pay ~£596.

Bought my Direto through PBK week before Xmas, when they sent me a 15% voucher code, arrived before the festivities.
Thanks. I'm pretty much limited to CRC (due to their returns policy) and there's no point returning my Flux (unless it gets worse) until they actually stock the Direto. They won't do a full refund, only 'CRC credit' after 30 days...

Soldato
For those not aware, I popped into Bicester Village yesterday afternoon and there's a Rapha shop now. First time i've seen their kit in the flesh. Good discounts on everything.

Might have to go there, need some new shorts. Was hoping they would be running their usual monuments comp so I could get a discount voucher.

Anyone seen the bars on the new Canyon Gravel bike? Very weird.

Soldato
Anyone seen the bars on the new Canyon Gravel bike? Very weird.

Double-decker 'hover' bar. Yes. Weird.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/gear...ble-decker-hover-bar.html#8oF3mQggrc6jVq45.97

I personally think it'll provide too much movement for road riding, look at what Specialized and Trek did with Zertz and Iso(de)couplers, there's been several write-ups comparing them with the 'shock' anti-vibration stems that are also around while also comparing them to the Cannondale Slate. The general consensus being the stems and Slate are great for comfort over general gravel riding but rubbish for real road/CX efforts (sprinting/climbing/stiffness) which the Diverge/Roubaix/Domane where better for (due to less compliance & firmer rides). Specialized even dropped Zertz all round for a headtube decoupler the same as Trek. Horses for courses as always! ;)

Soldato
For those not aware, I popped into Bicester Village yesterday afternoon and there's a Rapha shop now. First time i've seen their kit in the flesh. Good discounts on everything.

Well aware :p I live 15~ miles away and drop in for coffee regularly.

Friendly bunch and there's dedicated bike storage/viewing/training area out the back too :cool:

Soldato
seems almost purpose-designed not to be held in the hooks.

If you've ever ridden off road on a drop bar, the amount of time spent on the drops is very very minimal. Bike looks odd but I can certainly see the idea behind it. Hopefully these sorts of trends and manipulation of carbon can lead to further improvements for comfort on the bike.

Soldato
I'm starting to get annoyed now.

MMH sportive postponed, so whilst re-arranged date was being decided I booked a B'ham St Marys Hospice mini (75 km) sportive for this Sunday - now that's under threat of beast from the east mark II. FFS what do I have to do to get my bike and me out into the fresh air? :mad:
Snap : I feel your pain - I was due to ride an event this weekend too and it's been moved. The MMH on Strava worked out okay though :D

Soldato
If you've ever ridden off road on a drop bar, the amount of time spent on the drops is very very minimal. Bike looks odd but I can certainly see the idea behind it. Hopefully these sorts of trends and manipulation of carbon can lead to further improvements for comfort on the bike.
Agreed, although for some reason people hate the CG-R seatpost on the Diverge regardless lol (will admit I like the sprung seatpost on the Canyon) ;)

I'm also not convinced gravel bikes need drop bars, although lots of Diverge owners seem to replace them with really flared drops (from the Sequioa) and seemingly ride them more due to the extra compliance. Wouldn't using an aero kinda base bar developed work the same/better than the floating hover bar?! Ho-hum.

Funnily enough Canyon now have their own specific geometry for it as quite obviously the headtube is lower than standard geometry. Sprung seatpost too and 40mm tyres as standard. Will be a great gravel bike, no doubt about it, but limited use in the UK as we just don't have the gravel trails it's designed for. It'll be too forgiving and expensive to be used for endurance/audax road riding, not stiff enough to be used for CX, yet not sprung enough for real UK off road trails.

More interesting is Specialized launching their new top of the line Tarmac SL6 Disc with a powermeter fitted as standard. Their new Specialized S-Works Power cranks, which we've seen Bora & Quickstep riding for year or so. DCR at the TDU commented that it was very similar and probably built from the 4iiii Precision crankset.

I'm quite interested as it's being offered as an 'upgrade' on Specialized frames with an OSBB/PF30 (which my Diverge is) with a carbon 110BCD spider weighing 440g. My Praxis crankset the Diverge came with is reported as 712g with rings (mine is heavier due to Powertap C1's) which is why I'm kinda looking at this as a replacement. The Praxis crankset is 'known' to be heavy, but to me not that much heavier than the S-Works carbon Power? :o

https://www.specialized.com/nz/en/s-works-power-cranksdual/p/134035

Approx £995 with +£175 for chainrings. Ouch. But those are RRP's.

Snap : I feel your pain - I was due to ride an event this weekend too and it's been moved. The MMH on Strava worked out okay though :D
The one on Zwift you mean? Yeah :)

I've got a group ride coming up on around the 24th from Chepstow, meeting up with a number of the WBR guys (from Zwift!) for an outside ride around the wye valley, symonds yat etc. Don't think anyone here is close/local but it'd be fairly open to anyone interested who wanted to tag along. Probably 60-70 miles.

Last edited:
Soldato
there's a reason mountain bikes have flat bars.

But if they fitted those to gravel bikes they'd have an even harder time claiming they weren't just old-school mountain bikes gently warmed over.

Soldato
there's a reason mountain bikes have flat bars.

But if they fitted those to gravel bikes they'd have an even harder time claiming they weren't just old-school mountain bikes gently warmed over.

Agreed. Now road bikes are having more and more clearance. Just chuck the right tyres on it and away you go. Flat bars on an adventure bike would take away the flexibility of road riding and also sitting on the hoods is the most comfortable position (especially as everything is within reach) for longer distance which you don't get on flat bar bikes unless you chuck on some bull horns.

Soldato

I've just had this Sunday's sportive postpone email through :(

Re-arranged date is 22nd April.

Yep, so now I have the MMH 15th April and then another one the weekend after, oh boy the look on my wife's face tonight when I tell her I have two consecutive Sundays out. :D

Back
Top Bottom