Road Cycling

Associate
FFWD F2A looking more promising since a week has gone by nearly.... even if they grenade the rims the hubs are £300 to buy... id like something by the bank holiday weekend so I can try and get some time in ahead of the Rapha ride.

https://www.evanscycles.com/fast-forward-f2a-alloy-dt240s-shimano-wheelset-EV212792

I've had these wheels for about 2 years now. They have been great, inc two trips to France. Light without being too light. I did ping a spoke but managed to ride 25miles home and it was fixed fine. Not skipped a beat since. For ref I'm about 76kg. My thinking on buying them was little like yours... the DT240s they come with are expensive enough anyway and you can swap out the rims when they wear. I think they (FFWD) have now discontinued these wheels now, releasing an F3A with a deeper wider rim but on DT350s.

Soldato
Replaced the front bearings on my White Industries Hub, only one bearing was a little rumbley, I could have left it longer to be fair but since I had the bearings.

High quality when disassembled and a simple design. Bearings replaced in half an hour with new SKF rubber sealed ones.

Soldato
Always enjoy a well thought out hub design. Replaced a pair of 6001 bearings in a Royce tpday and my only criticism is the parts you screw back on can only ever be finger tight rather than using some sort of flat or allen key socket cap.

Soldato
Bike discount are really starting to get on my chuff. For about the 4th/5th time now I haven't got my order through. I ordered the SRAM Red Crank set on 7th March and the tracking says it's been handed over to local courier... no idea where it is now as that's where the trail ends. I've now got to wait and see when they reply to my email to them, which takes about 4days at the moment until I get some answers. Grrr.

On the plus side, fitted my ceramic BB and so will be nice to get the crankset in. Have some shifters on their way, secondhand, after I bought some bloody standard sram RED ones, non etap a while ago (anyone need a set?) so I can get the brakes connected and the bar tape on. Then just the 2 derailleurs. I've got the black and pink chain and 11-28 cassette on it's way. Might have it done by summer.

Now to use my other ones and try and get this left knee and ankle fixed.

Soldato
Anyone seen any snow yet? Blazing sunshine, bright and clear here. One of the warmest days of the year so far yet the forecast is dreadful tomorrow & sunday! :o :(
Shouldn't have opened my mouth... Saturday morning was ok, things got colder and windier through the day then we had a dumping of snow in the afternoon/evening. Around 5-6", thankfully things hovered around zero on sunday and quite a lot melted, but it then froze hard overnight (-5) followed by more snow but thankfully that didn't freeze. Just means things are like an ice rink, with fresh snow on top! Drove today, after only having time for 45 mins turbo saturday (chores & then cinema/meal as we had a babysitter!). It was too cold on sunday, due to windchill (even through half the snow melted) that my garage didn't get above -2. I quite cautious of turboing in sub zero as I've got ill the last couple of times, including the proper flu thing which wiped me out for almost 2 weeks! :o

Hoppo finished his Zwift World Record ride, 2202.3 miles in 6 days (143 hours 45 mins ride time). Smashed the previous record by nearly 300 miles (which was his own anyway lol). I joined to help tow him to the finish on saturday morning and he was doing 5w/kg up the volcano ramp, utterly nuts to think he finished that strongly! Huge group of WBR riding as a great group to finish with him (tied into the WBR160 ride - he even sprinted for the finish!). He's raised nearly £3500 for charity. In doing so, he trashed his old reliable trainer - a 7 year old Computrainer which had done over 100,000 miles (and borrowed a Tacx Flow to finish his attempt). Quite a discussion amongst WBR members took place friday night and we did anonymous donations to see if we could raise enough to get a replacement for him, raising enough for a Wahoo KICKR SNAP and arranged a Sunday delivery from Wiggle, what a man & what a team I'm loving being part of! :D

Another frustratingly unconstructive day off, including no cycling, besides getting the commuter ready with the studded tyres and a bit of lube on the chain.:(
Sometimes that's all you can do! My Diverge is filthy and long overdue a clean & service as the weather & life have got in the way the last 4-5 weeks. Managed to wipe down my chain, bleed & clean front caliper (as braking was bad). Couldn't clean more as water was freezing/frozen solid! Weekends have been a write off, going to need to do things in the evening!

A month and a half after the accident and my single speed is back in action with shiny new wheels and a good clean!

Images broken but glad to hear you got it all sorted! Must feel good to draw a bit of a line under it and concentrate on your riding now :)

Which websites are best for used gear? Everyone loves feeling like they are getting a bargain.
You'd be fine with 20/24h. At the end of the day they're quality rims, build & spokes. You're not carrying panniers or anything and not hammering trails with them (just hopefully avoiding potholes!).

I've found ebay great recently, but loads of people recommend pinkbike forums and singletrack.

Now to use my other ones and try and get this left knee and ankle fixed.
Good! Shame about bikediscount but don't let that put you off riding! :)

Soldato
Still trying roadie!

DCR must be flat out or have other commitments as been sporadic replying to emails and no answer on the phone.

Next place 3-4 week lead time.

Next place didn’t stock WI.

Fourth attempt now, hopefully get something worked out tomorrow. £430 though, ouch! The dollar being strong against the £ hurts (hubs gone from £250-320!) but it’s only £20 or so more than a DT 240 wheel.

I was impressed with the quality and ease to rebuild of my front wheel so I think it’s worth paying 5% more to have them match each other.

Soldato
I see so many of those carbon frames around, it's a pretty old mold and has metal dropouts/bearing seats/BB threads so that'll be why it's heavier than an alloy frame

My only recent criticism of them is on one recently the shimano 11 speed front mech didn't work entirely to spec since the cable came out the frame at a weird angle and at rest the inner cable sort of curved over the back of the mech rather than straight down into the frame.

Soldato
The pro carbon has been kicking around over a decade now. It's well proven, I'll give it that.

The rt58 takes proper mudguards and 28c tyres. Great little all rounder.

Soldato
Still trying roadie!

DCR must be flat out or have other commitments as been sporadic replying to emails and no answer on the phone.

Next place 3-4 week lead time.

Next place didn’t stock WI.

Fourth attempt now, hopefully get something worked out tomorrow. £430 though, ouch! The dollar being strong against the £ hurts (hubs gone from £250-320!) but it’s only £20 or so more than a DT 240 wheel.

I was impressed with the quality and ease to rebuild of my front wheel so I think it’s worth paying 5% more to have them match each other.

Ordered through 23mm wheels.

Decided to change to a Pacenti Forza rim as they are supposedly slightly better than the Hplusson archetype, similar profile & black anyway.

Simple replies in a reasonable timeframe and a 7-10 day turnaround. Not too difficult to get right!

Soldato
Any reason I shouldn't be considering one of these?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLP105MIX/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-105-5800-mix-road-bike

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXR...rt-58-v2-alloy-shimano-105-5800-mix-road-bike

The alloy is 100g lighter than the carbon. Any real life advantages to carbon? Bit strange it's heavier.
No reason at all, both well regarded frames & builds for the money. Think the RT58 is quite a bit newer which maybe why you see the weight difference.

Carbon isn't necessarily lighter than alu, it all depends on the carbon types, resin and layup used. My Giant Defy 1 2015 (alu) frame is lighter than my 2016 Specialized Diverge. My only comment would be that the ride of alu is much harsher than carbon. Mine isn't cheap carbon (£2500 RRP Diverge vs £900 RRP Defy) so I'm not sure if cheaper is inherently harsher when it comes to carbon - someone else more informed maybe best to comment.

I'd take the carbon over the alu if comfort is one of your requirements as I noticed a huge difference (but bear in mind I went from Endurance alu & 25mm tyres to Gravel carbon with zertz inserts and 28mm tyres). Putting 28mm tyres on the RT58 may offset much of the difference.

Ordered through 23mm wheels.
Good luck and hope they get things sorted quickly, will be interested to hear how you find them as I've heard of them but never looked at reviews/feedback.

Soldato
Wiggle delivery lottery time!

Free post coming next Tuesday... think it will arrive this weekend or not?! Forcast rain all weekend so couldn’t go out even if I wanted to!

Soldato
Probably meeting up with some of the Zwift/WBR guys on saturday morning in Chepstow for a 50 mile loop - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27060938

My legs and fitness is rubbish at the moment so fully prepared to form a gruppetto at the back! Although some of these guys 'haven't ridden outside since 2017' they're still logging 250 miles a week on Zwift...

Wiggle delivery lottery time!

Free post coming next Tuesday... think it will arrive this weekend or not?! Forcast rain all weekend so couldn’t go out even if I wanted to!
You ordered now and delivery is estimated at 5-6 days away? Didn't think Wiggle where that bad! My guess would be the end of this week.

Just got my Elemnt Bolt. Really cool device.
Welcome brother Wahooligan! Loads of us here! :)

Full winter clothing this morning......and it's nearing the end of March FFS!
Same here! Got fully kitted up for the 'morning after' the -6 degree forecast. It was cold but bright and sunny so thankfully the sun had thawed any ice out. Didn't look like it'd frozen as hard as they said, -1 or -2 at a guess!

Back
Top Bottom