Road Cycling

Soldato
He's still alive and posts occasionally on facebook. I havn't spoken to him recently but I think he's been otherwise occupied and not been doing much cycling. For those who missed it, this post probably explains all:
xdcx said:
I just read all of the new baby section over the past week
Oh wow! Mini- @xdcx ! Congratulations buddy! Should've asked me first and I probably would've said "don't do it" or "get a dog first"! :D ;)

If the rain holds off till Monday I'll be well happy, got another Sportive on Sunday so I've got everything crossed for half decent weather.
You'll be pleased to know rain forecast for me here is rain and thunderstorms saturday afternoon into the night. Sunday starts dry with a 50% chance of showers for 2-4pm. Please can you arrange to do sportives on a different day to any that I decide to do! ;) :D

24 degrees here this lunchtime, typical as I'd arranged something else so wasn't riding home for lunch. Also my manager forgot to turn the heating off this morning so it's absolutely roasting in here! Now if only it was more humid it'd act like a sauna and actually help muscle recovery... Hmm! :cool:

It too hot for trying to figure out 'Microsoft Azure Storage Tools', Powershell and Exchange 365 migration...

Soldato
Randomly checked my back wheel after taking the bike off the TT last night - one of the spokes had no tension, so I dropped the wheel off for some TLC at lunch.

I did drop the subtle hint to Mrs Chri5 they are the original wheels so the braking track must wear out soon.. Not weighed my pair, but online reviews reckon they are around 1650g which isn't bad for cheap wheels. Best value replacement would seem to be the Hunt Aero Road which are are quoted at 1449g.

Caporegime
Amazing riding around there, I remember the roads being pretty damn good too but I dread to think what the drivers are like! :o

Normally stick to the quieter roads, so yeah it's very good in that regard. Car came pretty close yesterday, like too close for comfort. At the same time a copper went past on the otherside of the road texting on his phone :p

The driving standards are awful, and they use their horn to say hello which can **** you up. But the quiet roads make up for it :)

I want my bike :( This nice weather and I can't even ride it. Tempted to go and just take it home with the flat pedals until the other kit comes in, just so I can ride it, and then trigger people when they see me on the road

"Oh now that's a nice bike, just look at......wait....ARE THOSE FLAT PEDALS?!"

I'm currently riding in full mountain bike kit (bar shoes, and pedals) whilst waiting on post. I can feel the judgement!

Soldato
Please can you arrange to do sportives on a different day to any that I decide to do! ;) :D

Me booking a Sportive is an effective rain dance, I'm completed jinxed. Actually the circle may just have been broken because last weekend it only rained for a few minutes, it just spat for a few mins and blew over.

Marginal gains

Soldato
Randomly checked my back wheel after taking the bike off the TT last night - one of the spokes had no tension, so I dropped the wheel off for some TLC at lunch.

I did drop the subtle hint to Mrs Chri5 they are the original wheels so the braking track must wear out soon.. Not weighed my pair, but online reviews reckon they are around 1650g which isn't bad for cheap wheels. Best value replacement would seem to be the Hunt Aero Road which are are quoted at 1449g.

How many miles have they done?

Soldato
gDOnsgi.jpg

Things I am aware of:
  • It's not celeste (blame Bianchi for only doing this colour)
  • It's Shimano (blame Bianchi for only doing this groupset!)
  • The valve caps are all wrong
  • The chain is on the small chain ring
  • The steerer needs cutting (have a bike fit next week)
  • Pedals!
I've only been for a gentle spin round the block and up a couple of steep hills, but it handles noticeably better than my Boardman Team Carbon. Looking forward to a proper track training session tomorrow night now (in glorious sunshine) :cool:

Soldato
How many miles have they done?

Strava says 9,211.7 km but there will be some pre-Garmin / Strava rides missing.

gDOnsgi.jpg
Things I am aware of:
  • It's not celeste (blame Bianchi for only doing this colour)
  • It's Shimano (blame Bianchi for only doing this groupset!)
  • The valve caps are all wrong
  • The chain is on the small chain ring
  • The steerer needs cutting (have a bike fit next week)
  • Pedals!
I've only been for a gentle spin round the block and up a couple of steep hills, but it handles noticeably better than my Boardman Team Carbon. Looking forward to a proper track training session tomorrow night now (in glorious sunshine) :cool:

That's a very very nice bike.

Soldato
Bah, found upon closer inspection on my Canyon that the top cap bolt is bent so won't tighten down cockpit, spacers etc. Won't be riding that until they send me a new one! Sure I could source one, but I cracked one of the spacers and don't want to pay £7 postage for an £8 part, so hoping they can send the bolt and the spacer for just the cost of the spacer.

gtUtX0B.jpg

Soldato
Rode the D10/1 10 mile TT tonight.

A super strong southerly wind made me a little worried with the deep front wheel on.

Luckily it was head/tail wind and not side as it was tricky wth the hedges & gaps on the way out.

The Q rings I have on are gash, they feel no different to ride (position 3) and you are left with terrible shifting. Not really a problem when racing but riding out/back I need the little ring. I’ll take those off when I am able to replace them!

Made sure I didn’t go out too hard, the first/last mile is a little rough but the rest of the course is nice & smooth. I’ve nevr ridden it before but rode the back half as a warm up. Paced myself well, caught 2 minute man with a mile to go & nobody passed me so calling it a win.

Strava says 23:10, 313w, 42.0kmph & an average cadence of 98 (never had myself as a spinner but I like to keep the cadence up when racing).

I don’t look at the HR or power when racing but they are a nice flat line! I guess years of swim training when I was a kid have given me the ability to pace myself perfectly.

How many seconds will a skin suit & helmet buy me?! 30 seconds faster would have put me right up there tonight.

Soldato
Decent time mate, I'm not a fan of Q rings although there are spacers to move the FD to a better position but still meh unless at a constant effort as far as I can tell.

I don't do TT to know how much the would save but I'd say definitely sub 23.

I would have thought with head and tail winds power would be good to look at, last night i was doing about 280w for 15mph in a headwind and for the same power 20ish in the tailwind so I just sat at the same power even though it felt slow.

The wind you speak of is still a ******* up here. Got put in the scratch group tonight with a 6 minute gap to my usual middle group. Felt hard as hell on the way out, got about 7 seconds down on a sharp rough climb at the turning point but got myself over the was within about 50 feet(Probably more :p) of the group.

Still had folk behind me but went way too hard and flew past a few people dropped from the middle group, ended up working with a boy from the scratch trying to get back on but 5 or so guys working is faster then 2 so meh.

Should have recovered and waited for two guys that eventually caught us near the finish then we could have worked as a group of 4 but that's a lesson learned.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1516850183

Going by this segment I was still only about 10 seconds at that point since the KOM was taken tonight.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1516850183/segments/37842428042

Associate
Rode the D10/1 10 mile TT tonight.

A super strong southerly wind made me a little worried with the deep front wheel on.

Luckily it was head/tail wind and not side as it was tricky wth the hedges & gaps on the way out.

The Q rings I have on are gash, they feel no different to ride (position 3) and you are left with terrible shifting. Not really a problem when racing but riding out/back I need the little ring. I’ll take those off when I am able to replace them!

Made sure I didn’t go out too hard, the first/last mile is a little rough but the rest of the course is nice & smooth. I’ve nevr ridden it before but rode the back half as a warm up. Paced myself well, caught 2 minute man with a mile to go & nobody passed me so calling it a win.

Strava says 23:10, 313w, 42.0kmph & an average cadence of 98 (never had myself as a spinner but I like to keep the cadence up when racing).

I don’t look at the HR or power when racing but they are a nice flat line! I guess years of swim training when I was a kid have given me the ability to pace myself perfectly.

How many seconds will a skin suit & helmet buy me?! 30 seconds faster would have put me right up there tonight.

Is that the course on Rainford bypass? Not far from mine. I think the course can be really quick with the right conditions.

Back
Top Bottom