Road Cycling

Soldato
Is that the course on Rainford bypass? Not far from mine. I think the course can be really quick with the right conditions.

Yeah it’s the bypass course.

You need a bit of luck with the turn arounds but it felt like a fast course, I had to look a couple of times before I could move over to the outside lane & also no traffic on the roundabouts.

Some of the cars were passing a lot closer than I would have liked, especially when nothing in the outside lane. Also nice weather so lots of bikes out. If you’re going to use half of the adjacent lane just use it all ffs!

Surface of them is very good though and you can lock your position in and concentrate on turning the pedals over.

My strava 1/2 way mark split, exactly 313w, what I averaged for the full effort!

Associate
Yeah it’s the bypass course.

You need a bit of luck with the turn arounds but it felt like a fast course, I had to look a couple of times before I could move over to the outside lane & also no traffic on the roundabouts.

Some of the cars were passing a lot closer than I would have liked, especially when nothing in the outside lane. Also nice weather so lots of bikes out. If you’re going to use half of the adjacent lane just use it all ffs!

Surface of them is very good though and you can lock your position in and concentrate on turning the pedals over.

My strava 1/2 way mark split, exactly 313w, what I averaged for the full effort!

I don't think I'd ever have the confidence for a TT on a dual carriageway. So hats off to you for that. One of the local pros from Southport regularly rides it in the summer.

Soldato
Utterly gorgeous! Always loved the decals on the matching fulcrum hoops in Celeste, if you can't afford Bora One's then they're a suitable alternative! ;)

Shame the Ultegra rotors don't come with black fins as the white silver looks very bright and out of place! Will soon darken with some brake grime on there ;)

I'd also want to put some integrated bars on it to tidy up the front end or at least get some protection on there as we all know the mess that hanging cables eventually always make of head tube paint lacquer. Am seeing it on my 'hyper green' Diverge and I know I'll not be able to easily get some touch up paint. Should've protected mine when new! #hindsight! :(

I've been summer shorts for weeks now!
Pffft! No chance! A 8am start means I'm generally commuting here at 7:40am. Temperatures have not been consistently even near 10 degrees that time of the morning until yesterday and the odd 1 or two days a month back. I only swapped my leg warmers to knee warmers around 10 days ago. Although I do have a short commute - 8-10 mins so have no chance of overheating. This morning was my first time not wearing overshoes (in the morning) since around October last year! :o

Bah, found upon closer inspection on my Canyon that the top cap bolt is bent so won't tighten down cockpit, spacers etc. Won't be riding that until they send me a new one! Sure I could source one, but I cracked one of the spacers and don't want to pay £7 postage for an £8 part, so hoping they can send the bolt and the spacer for just the cost of the spacer.
Rubbish! Can't you argue the bent bolt cracked the spacer? :D

Yeah, but you're loaded! :D
Said the ex 911 owner ;)

Mega pacing and numbers, congrats! :D

You have me in awe when I think we where possibly quite evenly matched on Zwift, yet as soon as you start riding outside your riding is a significant step above mine! Well done! Teach me obi wan! :o

Soldato
I'd also want to put some integrated bars on it to tidy up the front end or at least get some protection on there as we all know the mess that hanging cables eventually always make of head tube paint lacquer. Am seeing it on my 'hyper green' Diverge and I know I'll not be able to easily get some touch up paint. Should've protected mine when new! #hindsight! :(

Any recommendations? I’m probably in the market for a new cockpit anyway at some point...

Soldato
Rubbish! Can't you argue the bent bolt cracked the spacer? :D

Said the ex 911 owner ;)

Unfortunately not, had emailed them previous to finding the bolt/top cap which they're sending replacement for. Asked if they can include the spacer, if not I'll probably leave it for now until I have to order something else from them, so if anyone is ordering anything from Canyon to the uk anytime soon please let me know if you're happy to add my part to your order.

Soldato
Any recommendations? I’m probably in the market for a new cockpit anyway at some point...
Most people I think use 'helitape' or something?

As for cockpit then it's quite a personal thing. I think when I last looked the Vision metron 5D came well recommended by most as the best 'budget' ones at £350!

The option from Canyon was similar price I think and looked good?

Not sure what others would fit, I think the Giant one looks superb but unsure on sizing/availability.

Wilier Alabarda is good too but unsure on fitment (frame compatibility) or price.

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair my mudguards are nearly 1.5kg so much of that and being a gravel bike it's not designed to be light. The Praxis crankset on there is also known to be quite a heavyweight... #excuses

The rider on top is also closer to 80kg than he should be! :o

You did beat me :(. I'm currently stacked up at 85kg which is basically obese for a road biker :p. I am looking at pulling the trigger on the new Giant Advanced TCR 1 (Ultegra). I've decided to aim more towards a race bike than endurance as I rarely go over 60 miles and as I am not getting younger may aswell see if I can hack a more "aggressive" geometry whilst I'm still nimble. As an ex-Giant man do you have any opinions on how the TCR rides i.e. comfort? The latest review suggest the new model is excellent.

Soldato
bar shape is a surprisingly large part of fit. I really like my deda shallow traditional bend bars, but they do mean you need to run an extra spacer or two compared to compact bars, reducing the amount of "ego drop"

Soldato
I'm with @Roady on the cockpit side of things, but it is gorgeous. Like, really nice. I'd also want Di2 but hey, that's me! :p It's such a lovely bike @FishFluff mega jels.

@SoliD i had the same on one of my canyons on the head cap and they sent me out a new one with new bolt. Pain though. Especially on a new bike, but hey. Looks really nice.

I am just charging the batteries for Pinky. Put the chain on today. (KMC X Lite Pink and black, of course) and took it for a single speed ride. Love it. Going to tighten up the shifters as they were moving a bit, and tighten the brake travel a bit and then hope to take it out in the sun! See what falls off since you know, I made it. Very pleased though. For what I've spent in total (prob 2.5k?) I think it's a hell of a bike.

Soldato
Scorching hot out there today guys! Rode in this morning without overshoes (just toe covers) and summer shorts! Was around 12 degrees and quite cool. Lunchtime total summer wear, short sleeves & fingerless gloves, the works! Around 27 degrees here! :cool :o

Bit of a segment effort but bus in front pulled away too quickly from the junction so couldn't get enough of a tow to offset the cross headwind. Cooked myself but felt good, still not sure where 8s is going to come from to grab the KOM. Meh.

I could almost justify the Metron at £350, but the cheapest I've seen it is £550!
Yeah I didn't mean the metron for 350 I meant the cheaper alternatives around that price (Deda etc). ;)

You did beat me :(. I'm currently stacked up at 85kg which is basically obese for a road biker :p. I am looking at pulling the trigger on the new Giant Advanced TCR 1 (Ultegra). I've decided to aim more towards a race bike than endurance as I rarely go over 60 miles and as I am not getting younger may aswell see if I can hack a more "aggressive" geometry whilst I'm still nimble. As an ex-Giant man do you have any opinions on how the TCR rides i.e. comfort? The latest review suggest the new model is excellent.
Haha yeah, then again I knew the climb so was a little unfair on you! ;)

My Giant is a Defy 1 2015 so alu & endurance geometry so can't comment on the TCR I'm afraid mate. I do know that a lot of local club guys who used to ride Propels now ride TCR's (local shop is a Giant/Trek/Specialized partner). But just as many also now ride Venges/Tarmacs.

Zipp Sprint SL stem, with Zipp SL-70 aero bars.

I have that combo and it is stiff as hell.
Yeah but not internal cabling...

Soldato
Super hot up in the South Downs earlier this afternoon, I must be mad, trying to attack four cat4 hills at temps that peaked at 31C towards the base of Harvesting Lane! https://www.strava.com/activities/1518306404/overview

Pleased to get a new PB up "Old Winchester Hill to the top," especially while I've got several kilos to lose compared to last summer, plus unusually carrying a second water bottle... So needed that water, that ride could well have turned dangerous with just one 750ml bottle, temps were approx +5C on the predictions I saw this morning.

Caporegime
Finally confirmed. Won't get it until the 18th though because I'm away.

Still not here.

Got a call Tuesday saying the bike was damaged on arrive from GT... 20 minutes later another call saying they have a replacement and it'll still be delivered on Wednesday.

Yesterday come 12pm the tracking only just changed to in transit. Contact TNT who say it went to the incorrect depot and won't be with me until today.

Change the delivery address to work as I was working from home yesterday. 2:30pm today and it's still showing as 'out for delivery', contact TNT to see if they have an estimated time and they says the parcel has been damaged and returned to the hub!!

FFS! :mad::mad: Spoke to Cyclesolutions and they've requested it be sent back to them and they'll inspect and go from there.

The only reason I ordered it direct was because i thought it would be quicker than getting a voucher etc. If the delivery of the replacement isn't acceptable, presumably they'll need to order a new one from GT, II migh just sack it off and get a voucher to use in a LBS.

Back
Top Bottom