Road Cycling

Soldato
Roadie,

You’ve been ill recently whereas I’ve been out most sundays, done 3 metrics and an imperial century in the last 6 weeks.

And done 3 TTs on consecutive weeks getting into it.

And you had an overreading trainer ;)

Soldato
Is anyone able to advise on a stem change. Currently using a giant od2 contact sl at 110mm 8deg negative rise. It's fine for me up to around 50-75m then due to some fatigue can feel a little long & low. Looking to do some longer distances shortly and thinking of moving to the same stem at 100mm and flipped for 8deg positive rise. If doing this, would I gain height on the bars as the stem is shorter? In other words, does the difference in rise between the 8deg negative and 8 degree positive offset the shorter stem length more or less in height?

Soldato
Is anyone able to advise on a stem change. Currently using a giant od2 contact sl at 110mm 8deg negative rise. It's fine for me up to around 50-75m then due to some fatigue can feel a little long & low. Looking to do some longer distances shortly and thinking of moving to the same stem at 100mm and flipped for 8deg positive rise. If doing this, would I gain height on the bars as the stem is shorter? In other words, does the difference in rise between the 8deg negative and 8 degree positive offset the shorter stem length more or less in height?

because changing the angle also changes the reach, you'd actually lose 18mm of reach while gaining 25mm of stack by doing that

i'd suggest just flipping the stem you have to start with, 9mm less reach and 29mm higher. It also doesn't cost anything.

the above figures assume a 73 degree head angle (pretty typical), and the same number of spacers used in each case.

Soldato
because changing the angle also changes the reach, you'd actually lose 18mm of reach while gaining 25mm of stack by doing that

i'd suggest just flipping the stem you have to start with, 9mm less reach and 29mm higher. It also doesn't cost anything.

the above figures assume a 73 degree head angle (pretty typical), and the same number of spacers used in each case.

Perfect, exactly all the info I'm after. I wasn't aware the reach would be decreased by that much just flipping it. Expected only 3-5mm.

Soldato
That is a good find that, straight into favourites for me.

I'm quite comfy on my Cannondale with a 12cm stem now, never looking back. Shame it's still high as **** at the front.

My 3rd hard night in the row and the legs were feeling it, felt like going the shortcut but went up the big hill whilst shaking my head at myself.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1519002178/segments/37898698940

That felt awfully hard after this one which sorts the bunch out

https://www.strava.com/activities/1519002178/segments/37898698843

Held on and took turns whilst folk were getting blew off the back until it was 1 off the front and just 3 of us but I cracked in a slight incline and pedalled in the last 5 miles myself :(

Soldato
Think I'll keep this Contact sl OD2 stem as mentioned above flipped for longer stuff of 75m+ or back to back distance rides. Something like a 110mm with no rise would be perfect the rest of the time. Limited choice though it seems with 1 1/4 and 31.8 clamp.

Soldato
Had a very satisfying blast round the cycle track at the Brownlee centre tonight with my club. A nice warm up, followed by 20 minutes of chain gang at near enough race pace and then some time spent on cornering skills. I'm absolutely knackered now and need to sort the indexing out on my gears already (before I go for a long ride as I have the day off :D)

Soldato
What a glorious couple of days! Was so nice being able to ride a tt last night with no Baselayers, knee warmers etc.. Although there are downsides such as sitting on The turbo doing your warm up with sweat in your eyes! :D that and the queue to sign on is huge....

Soldato
Campag Zonda hub bearings... feels rough in hand but sounds fine on the bike? Normal? I seem to recall something like that.

I had them serviced as the wheel was very loud while pedalling and in the hand they feel the same if not worse but the noise has gone...

Soldato
So needed that water, that ride could well have turned dangerous with just one 750ml bottle, temps were approx +5C on the predictions I saw this morning.
It was absolutely roasting here yesterday too, again around 4-5 degrees hotter than forecast at around 27-28 degrees over lunchtime. It was 3 degrees hotter than Majorca (know some guys over there this week!). It felt loads hotter than wednesday as there was less wind around even though, today is shaping up to be a nice one again

Cross posting from the picture theead because i love it.

DbNs3O2.jpg
3TirusP.jpg
Great pics but a little over exposed so guessing that's an iPhone?

FFS! :mad::mad: Spoke to Cyclesolutions and they've requested it be sent back to them and they'll inspect and go from there.

The only reason I ordered it direct was because i thought it would be quicker than getting a voucher etc. If the delivery of the replacement isn't acceptable, presumably they'll need to order a new one from GT, II migh just sack it off and get a voucher to use in a LBS.
What a farce! I'd be hounding them for compensation/some freebies for the hassle! Hope they sort the replacement quickly for you. They must be convinced it's damaged for them to request it back from the courier rather than waiting for you to get it.

And you had an overreading trainer ;)
I still have, I'm still absolutely convinced my Flux is under reading by around 50w at normal powers and by as much as 100w when putting big efforts in, maybe more when sprinting. CRC have given me info and confirmed they'll accept it back without 'evidence of the fault' but I'm then expecting saying there's no fault found and returning it to me with a carriage charge (of around £60). The Tacx adaptor I need to fit my powermeter bike to it is out of stock loads of places so I've still not got one. Really not sure what to do next, CRC don't stock the Directo, but Wiggle do, but CRC haven't responded when I've asked to get a refund in Wiggle credit (as they won't do a refund to my bank after 30 days) so I can pay the difference. Meh!

Yet more proof on @Saytan 's Oracle status. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom