Road Cycling

Soldato
It was absolutely roasting here yesterday too, again around 4-5 degrees hotter than forecast at around 27-28 degrees over lunchtime. It was 3 degrees hotter than Majorca (know some guys over there this week!). It felt loads hotter than wednesday as there was less wind around even though, today is shaping up to be a nice one again

Well shock horror, despite waking naturally at ~0630, I missed the opportunity to get out before the rush hour and the soaring midday temps! Having taken a hayfever tablet, I think pollen has at least been partly responsible for my fatigue since recovering from flu last week, I also got distracted in catching up with some house chores this morning.

I'm now in a pickle as to what bike to head off on, given the temps look similar to yesterday, with the Brockbridge Wunderground station https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISOUTHAM10&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash having just hit 32C in the last few minutes. My road bike would be quicker, but riding the fatbike with wider tyres would be more comfy and encourage me not to go chasing PBs up cat4s and risking heatstroke like yesterday! :p

Man of Honour
Got my bike :D picked it up this morning. Annoyingly the "universal" mount for my Bolt that comes with with the bike doesn't work with the Bolt at all, so I've removed and fitted the stem mount. Lose any aero advantage of the Bolt and probably now have a less aero bike than the B-Twin :p but it means I can ride it at least this evening

Soldato
I still have, I'm still absolutely convinced my Flux is under reading by around 50w at normal powers and by as much as 100w when putting big efforts in, maybe more when sprinting. CRC have given me info and confirmed they'll accept it back without 'evidence of the fault' but I'm then expecting saying there's no fault found and returning it to me with a carriage charge (of around £60). The Tacx adaptor I need to fit my powermeter bike to it is out of stock loads of places so I've still not got one. Really not sure what to do next, CRC don't stock the Directo, but Wiggle do, but CRC haven't responded when I've asked to get a refund in Wiggle credit (as they won't do a refund to my bank after 30 days) so I can pay the difference. Meh!
I was sure mine was as well. Outside I was pushing 230w with the vectors reading it no bother, but on the trainer the same RPM and perceived effort I was doing 180w. I just figured WTH it must be my crap legs but if you think that too it's interesting. Might have to test some more.

Just got out on the Pinky. I figured 28c heat would be nice. Melted. I also thought I'd end up in a bush due to not connecting something properly, but it was a dream. Bike is such a beast. Totally different to the likes of the Aeroad, but what a bike. I want to get back out on it now!

Soldato
Beast! For some reason I've never been a fan of those wheels. I dunno what it is about it, but just not sold on them.
They're nothing really to look at, but are almost everything about performance & the Campag name.

Campag Zonda hub bearings... feels rough in hand but sounds fine on the bike? Normal? I seem to recall something like that.

I had them serviced as the wheel was very loud while pedalling and in the hand they feel the same if not worse but the noise has gone...
If replacing them didn't involve changing the bearings then get it done. They're not expensive bearings!

Got my bike :D picked it up this morning. Annoyingly the "universal" mount for my Bolt that comes with with the bike doesn't work with the Bolt at all, so I've removed and fitted the stem mount. Lose any aero advantage of the Bolt and probably now have a less aero bike than the B-Twin :p but it means I can ride it at least this evening
Awesome!

Wghat doesn't fit about the mount? The 'puck' could well be the Garmin one rotated 90 degrees (which doesn't work 100%)? You can buy replacements but would have to check they fit your mount.

I was sure mine was as well. Outside I was pushing 230w with the vectors reading it no bother, but on the trainer the same RPM and perceived effort I was doing 180w. I just figured WTH it must be my crap legs but if you think that too it's interesting. Might have to test some more.
Defo worth testing. Loads of info from Zwift riders about it. There's a FLUX owners group on farcebook with loads of info (even about servicing & replacing belts & tensioners).

Thinking about it, don't think any here have me on Farcebook, throw me a request but say who you are - https://www.facebook.com/haydnroady

Have a great weekend all! Clear & bright saturday morning forecast here! :D

Associate
Peeved atm
An old elbow injury has flared up stopping me cycling.
Haven’t been out since last week.
Hopefully will ease off in a few days but missed all the good weather
Liking those new bike photos you lot have been posting
Some sweet pieces of kit

Caporegime
Got my bike back from the shop, bearings replaced, new chain. All looking smooth and sweet. New bibs and jersey turned up, spare tubes, roadie helmet.

Driving back from the shop and a thunderstorm happens :p

Not had rain in about 2 months too! Left it an hour, no rain. Get changed, rains on again! I don't mind rain, but thunderstorms I refuse.

Soldato
Peeved atm
An old elbow injury has flared up stopping me cycling.
Haven’t been out since last week.
Hopefully will ease off in a few days but missed all the good weather
Liking those new bike photos you lot have been posting
Some sweet pieces of kit

That sucks! :(

Now I've no idea what your elbow injury is, but I'd hazard a guess that a flat bar bike would put far less stress on a weak elbow compared to drops. Is it would considering either a great bang for the buck Voodoo Marasa for ~£288 currently with British Cycling discount, or if your budget allows, get the superb spec ~9Kg Boardman Hybrid Pro for £675 with BC discount?

Alternatively, try and raise your drop bars, maximising spacers under the stem and flipping it to +ve angle. At the very least, it might make gripping the hoods viable without upsetting your elbow.

Associate
That sucks! :(

Now I've no idea what your elbow injury is, but I'd hazard a guess that a flat bar bike would put far less stress on a weak elbow compared to drops. Is it would considering either a great bang for the buck Voodoo Marasa for ~£288 currently with British Cycling discount, or if your budget allows, get the superb spec ~9Kg Boardman Hybrid Pro for £675 with BC discount?

Alternatively, try and raise your drop bars, maximising spacers under the stem and flipping it to +ve angle. At the very least, it might make gripping the hoods viable without upsetting your elbow.

Under developed ligaments to most of my joints
Not too much of an issue atm apart from left elbow. Ibroke that arm when I was younger and had some bone removed making it weaker ☹️
Don’t think any sort of bars will help, I just need to let it heal a bit. Happens every 1-2 years or so.

Pleased you lot are enjoying the weather tho today may be the last of the good ones.

Went to the LBS earlier and he has fitted me a shorter stem and positioned it upwards. He said the original one was way too long for me so hopefully when I get back up and running it’ll feel a lot comfier.

Hwhilst he was changing it I had a browse at the bikes in there. Tho there were no exceptional ones there were some in my price bracket circa £2000
Depending how this season goes I may look to get an end of season bargain.

Soldato
Got up this morning after a heavy night last night and decided to go out on the mtb. This was until I realised I needed to redo the sealant. Somehow in my probably still drunk state I decided to wash 4 bikes and start to sort out my Cannondale to rebuild it properly as I've not touched it since the last race of cx season.

Then went out for a fairly easy ride zone 1/2,. Lovely to be able to ride in a short sleeve Jersey with no base layer! Make sure you remember your suncream though guys!

Man of Honour
OP
Got out for my first 100 miler in absolutely ages yesterday. Wow, I am unfit. Nice to get out though and the sunburn on my arms should hopefully help me start to get my tanlines back. Those are more important than fitness anyhow ;)

Soldato
Possible to go from giant contact sl od2 stem fitment to canyon road v13 with no other changes bar leaving out the spacer that sits in the giant stem as it's recessed or do I need to make other changes to the headset and spacers etc? I'm hoping I can just straight swap and use the existing Giant top cap? Canyons don't obviously use this system so unsure? The spacer I'd have to leave out due to the extra bit on the bottom to sit in the stem top is only 3mm I think.

The canyon V13 at 100mm with 6 deg negative should be perfect with slightly less reach and slightly more height than my current 110mm giant and I don't ideally want to buy a Giant 100mm as I gain no height.

https://goo.gl/images/HtSxqG

https://goo.gl/images/mYsshb
HtSxqG

mYsshb

Last edited:
Soldato
Any bargains out there for cheap wheel upgrades I could get for my Planet X London Road?

I was hoping to find something for £200ish.

I don't quite follow what specifications I need for them to fit. Disc, Sram 11, 700c obviously.

I think I need 6 bolt but can't see what mm axle.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom