Road Cycling

Soldato
It was the Windsor Tri event today. I roughly know that road. Absolutely stupid behaviour but I can't help but think it wasn't intentional to pass up the inside. It doesn't excuse it at all but my bets are on a) they were drafting other riders and didn't realise until last moment / no one called out the horse(if it's draft legal? some of them are..) b) head down aero mode and they look up at last minute to see horse and riders passing them on the right so nowhere to go.

I always give horse/rider plenty of room and generally they're thankful. A fiesta driver pulled out on me earlier to immediately get stuck behind a horse 5 seconds later. She had time to wait and go round the horse at 2mph, with thanks from the rider and crew, but not to wait for me at the junction :confused:

I keep seeing this "head down" aero mode. If your head is down, you're not in aero, or at least not doing it correctly.

Soldato
Di2 does seem to be the manufacturers favourite way to gouge at the mo

Canyon ultimate CF, the 105 specced bike is only like £350 more than the bare frameset. Seems crazy to buy the frameset...

Because it keeps cost down. Having used both, and not needing a pocket, strap or hole for batteries. eTap is years ahead over Di

Soldato
poking round the canyon site earlier might've been a bad idea. They're now doing a disc equipped campag endurace. Only one dull colour though, thank god.

Soldato
I mean nobody is in the right in my opinion the guy undertaking is just plain stupid. However what posses you to take your horse out on those roads when their is going to be a race on.

Personally, horse riders are just as bad as the cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road but people treat them better because a horse is a living animal.

I can't get on board with that attitude, sorry. The roads are open to whoever wants to use them and you should be courteous to other road users. No different to someone behind the wheel of a car moaning about "what possesses cyclists to ride on busy roads when there are cycle paths available".

If tri riders want to ride like it's closed road then go somewhere to enter a closed road event, otherwise don't ride like a dick.

Associate
I can't get on board with that attitude, sorry. The roads are open to whoever wants to use them and you should be courteous to other road users. No different to someone behind the wheel of a car moaning about "what possesses cyclists to ride on busy roads when there are cycle paths available".

If tri riders want to ride like it's closed road then go somewhere to enter a closed road event, otherwise don't ride like a dick.

My issue is that she is a local and new what was going to happen, everyone will slow for a horse regardless of what form of transport they are using. But a race is a race is it not? I would expect people to ride like maniacs when there is something on the line rather than it just being another standard training ride.

Each to their own I guess

Soldato
Triathletes tend to be very fit (and so, fast), but care less about the ride than proper cyclists. That this might lead to dubious bike handling skills, and less concern for the impression they make on other road users and how that might reflect on cyclists in general is a possible conclusion...

Soldato
My issue is that she is a local and new what was going to happen, everyone will slow for a horse regardless of what form of transport they are using. But a race is a race is it not? I would expect people to ride like maniacs when there is something on the line rather than it just being another standard training ride.

It's a race on open roads though, so you should be following the Highway Code and rules of the road.

Soldato
But a race is a race is it not? I would expect people to ride like maniacs when there is something on the line rather than it just being another standard training ride.

Even on closed roads you don't have the right to ride/race dangerously. If you remove the horse from the equation, in a race situation it's not acceptable to undertake another competitor on the left like that (talking Tri, not crit or road-race).

Associate
I mean yeah the undercutting is the worst bit about it. They should have slowed down yes. But I personally don't have any other issues with it. Sure they may not be the safest riders but seems fine to me.

Associate
I mean yeah the undercutting is the worst bit about it. They should have slowed down yes. But I personally don't have any other issues with it. Sure they may not be the safest riders but seems fine to me.

It's at total odds to the highway code :confused:

People will jump on anything to criticize cyclists, but if that video seems fine to you then perhaps you need to reassess your riding style!

Associate
It's at total odds to the highway code :confused:

People will jump on anything to criticize cyclists, but if that video seems fine to you then perhaps you need to reassess your riding style!

Oh I know I need to change my view on it, I've come from downhill so used to people having really good bike handling at speed and my view is as long as nobody is hurt its fine. Which I know is wrong but I've never crashed or been hit and haven't been told to change how I ride by the group I'm with. Road riders seem really serious, I get why but sometimes I think its just over the top. Such as with this clip if you remove the horse.

Soldato
Triathletes tend to be very fit (and so, fast), but care less about the ride than proper cyclists. That this might lead to dubious bike handling skills, and less concern for the impression they make on other road users and how that might reflect on cyclists in general is a possible conclusion...

As I triathlete I find this a little daft seeing as most of the triathletes I know (club and social) come from a cycling background.
Most of the triathlon time is spent on the bike segment, therefore a lot of people invest the most time in terms of training, commitment, improvement etc specifically to the bike.

Soldato
As I triathlete I find this a little daft seeing as most of the triathletes I know (club and social) come from a cycling background.
Most of the triathlon time is spent on the bike segment, therefore a lot of people invest the most time in terms of training, commitment, improvement etc specifically to the bike.
Eh? What tri club do you go to? Tri's are won or lost on the run. You give too much on the bike, you're doomed in the run and can lose it all.

Soldato
I was a triathlete for a year and yeah the average triantelope is very awkward on the bike. Obviously the people on the sharp end are great bike handlers, swim like dolphins and run like gazelles but this photo sums up most of the bunch for me.:D

qvKMX5E.png

Soldato
There are no words.... All the triathletes I know are generally shocking on a bike. Yeah power houses but analyse them on anything but a flat out and back tt and they lose so much time as soon as you chuck in something technical.

Back
Top Bottom