Road Cycling

Soldato
Loving the triathlete bashing :)

Most obscure or awkward guys I know are triathletes, the sort that bring in 10 speed shimano cassette wheel, have 8 speed campag levers and a 9 speed chain and wonder why it doesn't work.

A guy was DQd a week or so back for crossing the white line in a race, they do sometimes take it quite seriously if you don't obey the rules of the road in a race.

Soldato
Which I know is wrong but I've never crashed or been hit and haven't been told to change how I ride by the group I'm with.

Maybe they are living in hope.

If you ride like those pictured in the video then it is only a matter of time until your pots of skill & luck both run out :rolleyes:

Soldato
Eh? What tri club do you go to? Tri's are won or lost on the run. You give too much on the bike, you're doomed in the run and can lose it all.

Agreed, but I'm not in contention for a win... I make my ground up on the bike and hold my own on the run.(think less ginger and less capable Cameron Wurf ) I come from a BMX then dh MTB world, so can handle a bike like the best of them.
From what I see of the guys I ride with, they're all pretty decent cyclists in their own right too. Although I do kinda get why proper roadies pull triathletes apart on the whole.
Bike maintenance skills tend to lack.
The sound of badly tracking gears and crossed chainlines.
Shaven legs and hairy feet
No socks? Wtf... 10 seconds saved in T1 though eh

Soldato
This is absolutely shameful.
Pretty shocking.

No excuse but does the first "undertaker" seem to need to communicate something to another rider immediately afterwards?

I wonder whether he was "ushered" towards the back of the horse and forced (yes, he could have braked but...) to take unorthodox evasive action?

His demeanor seems somewhat irked/irate.

Soldato
Pretty shocking.

No excuse but does the first "undertaker" seem to need to communicate something to another rider immediately afterwards?

I wonder whether he was "ushered" towards the back of the horse and forced (yes, he could have braked but...) to take unorthodox evasive action?

His demeanor seems somewhat irked/irate.

Her....

Soldato
I love my rc7/xc7. They are very stiff though so be aware. Not sure on the rp5s. Seem to be wearing well. Especially the xc7s as they're used for cx and mtb so occasionally chucked in the washing machine to get them cleaned up.

Soldato
Received my P1's back today, I mentioned previously CPM in the UK have the facility to service & provide warranty support at last.

They had been intermittently mis-behaving more (numerous things) as of late and the bearings developed play within the first year but it hadn't deteriorated further. With the warranty period nearing it's end I chanced it and to my surprise & pleasure they've been serviced (inc new bearings & V3 caps) & recalibrated under warranty, within a week of receipt.

I think this was largely due to the left pedal offset having drifted down to around -44 to -47 when it should really be single digit.

Planning on renting out the P1S I bought to see me through and keep as a spare so it pays for itself :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Checking in from Murcia. Hot over here but enough winds around that riding in the mornings and evenings would be ok with temps around 20 degrees. Seen a few small groups of riders scattered throughout the week in various team kits so not totally barren of cycling opportunities as I first thought. Not seen any road bikes for hire in the few places with hire bikes but not really been looking too hard or far away than the immediate area.

Return to the UK tomorrow morning and I really need to decide what to do to get myself on track for my first 100 in 9 days time.. :o

If it took mudguards I'd be all over it for a winter bike/commuter.:cool:
You wouldn't dare! :o

It's a race on open roads though, so you should be following the Highway Code and rules of the road.
This pretty much sums it up. Regardless of the 'situation' (a Tri), the conditions of the road (open) should dictate the riding. They should've slowed a little for the horse and passed on the right hand side only. Several of them do slow/sit up. I sure hope they warned marshals to pass the word back about the horse to other riders!

The horse rider does share some of the blame. Think it's quoted she was in high viz and so was the horse. Fair enough. But as soon as she noticed there where fast paced cyclists with racing numbers pinned on then she should've rethought her route and been riding as far left as possible. It was pretty obvious there would be more than a handful of them in a situation like that. It looks like a main road, there are far safer places to ride a horse than a main road.

The race organisers share some blame too, according to the reports the local residents where not aware of the event and there where no/not enough signs out.

Received my P1's back today, I mentioned previously CPM in the UK have the facility to service & provide warranty support at last.
Great result, kudos to them. As you say though it's obvious the one pedal had been drifting out for a while.

New tyre time...

Debating wether to run 25mm tubeless tyres (Schwalbe Pro One) for UK roads...

Anyone here with comments on the tyre choice?
Good choice, but only 25mm? ;)

Soldato
The horse rider does share some of the blame. Think it's quoted she was in high viz and so was the horse. Fair enough. But as soon as she noticed there where fast paced cyclists with racing numbers pinned on then she should've rethought her route and been riding as far left as possible. It was pretty obvious there would be more than a handful of them in a situation like that. It looks like a main road, there are far safer places to ride a horse than a main road.

replace "horse rider" with "cyclist" and "fast paced cyclist" with "car" to see exactly why this is wrong...

Soldato
I would avoid Tubeless, tried it a few years ago. They work but if the slime doesn't seal it then you are somewhat stuck!
I don't think I'd risk not taking out a small pump and a spare tube though.

At the moment I'm just wondering if I should try it for myself, seems more and more new bikes come with tubeless tyres.

Back
Top Bottom