Road Cycling

Soldato
Big thumbs up again to Rapha CS, my core bib shorts I got about 18 months ago had really started to thin out, I always followed the correct washing instructions. So sent them an email with a few pictures and they've given me a voucher for the full price shorts!

Will that work on my pro team shorts that are 4-5 years old this spring.... I had just written them off, they are becoming a little baggy and see through, trainer only/bin I thought.

Walmart/Rapha copping some flack at the moment, supply issues due to moving in the UK too?

Soldato
Will that work on my pro team shorts that are 4-5 years old this spring.... I had just written them off, they are becoming a little baggy and see through, trainer only/bin I thought.

Walmart/Rapha copping some flack at the moment, supply issues due to moving in the UK too?

Unlikely, but put a hole in them and they'll put some new material in that bit!

Soldato
That video was 22 hours into the race and on the section of the course with a strong headwind. The car was photographing me so I decided to put on a good show.:D
BEAST mode engaged! :cool:

Looks great, hope some of the pictures came out well! Good legs for 22 hours in, did you get any sleep & how many stints did you do?

Yeah, after turn six I hung up my shoes. I'd hit my mileage target 120+m (the first 80 of those being between .85/.9 IF :eek: / whoops) and would have just been accumulating unnecessary fatigue. It didn't occur to us until 20 hours in that it would have probably been better to have every 4th hour without a rider on the track to allow for longer recovery and food to digest. But we had set the bar high!

I was suffering with acid reflux and general gut discomfort from the start of my second turn which made eating on the bike interesting... Riding, sitting and then laying down obviously doesn't do wonders for digestive transit!
I assume you where doing hour long stints? Is that the recommended or totally down to the teams how they split the 24h up? With a team of 3 I'd have thought the 1.5 hours 'downtime' between each wasn't quite enough to fully settle, recover and get any naps in, but push that to 1.5 hour stints and you'd suddenly get 2.5 hours between which probably would be? Something to consider!

I'd not slept a wink and all the loonies for the 6hr had been released. I didn't sleep until 6:30PM Sunday evening which was knocking on 48 hours? even then it was an hour's nap before getting up to eat. I did have today off though which involved a lay in and an afternoon nap :D
Impressed they released the 6h guys out on circuit the same time, although I guess most of those guys experienced endurance riders would be similar pace to the rest of you at that point? I know Hoppo (WBR guy who's an endurance monster) had a nightmare getting there including a 13h ferry journey to Portsmouth which didn't get in till 6.35am and somehow made it to Brands for 8am. 4 broken ribs and still came away as runner up in the 6h.

He mentioned they where also running a solo 24h, was that the same time as you guys? :o

Due to a lot of kit changes there were hundreds of riders without numbers after the first 4/5 hours. The excitement settled down once everyone had their first turn out of their system but I was very nearly taken out by an un-numbered rider whilst doing 30mph at the end of the start straight. His bars probably weren't more than an inch off of mine, you get idiots everywhere but it was just stupid & unnecessary and you're irritable enough as it is
See that's the sort of thing which would really grind on me too, many/any out there calling overtakes/slowing/using hand signals? I'd be calling people out for bad riding by their kit colours without numbers on lol ;)

What issues? First I'd heard of it. Do we know when the Rapha autumn 20% sale is on yet?

Unlikely, but put a hole in them and they'll put some new material in that bit!
Just send in the pad and say that's all that's left! :D

Soldato
I assume you where doing hour long stints? Is that the recommended or totally down to the teams how they split the 24h up? With a team of 3 I'd have thought the 1.5 hours 'downtime' between each wasn't quite enough to fully settle, recover and get any naps in, but push that to 1.5 hour stints and you'd suddenly get 2.5 hours between which probably would be? Something to consider!
Our team did ~1 hour stints (stay out a bit more if in a good group or if you're rolling in to near pits just before the hour is up) and from midnightish we swapped to pairing up. 2 of us do 1 hour stints with 1 hour break, twice. Then a 5 hour break while the other pair takes over (I managed to get maybe an hour sleep in the tent during this break). Then in the morning we went back to 1 hour stints before closing up with ~45min stints. Honestly it was mostly 6 individual time trials for me... I had maybe 10/56 laps working in a group. In one of those groups we passed Jason Kenny and convinced him to join so that lightened the mood a little at 7am. I had really expected more groups but it just didn't work out that way :(

Impressed they released the 6h guys out on circuit the same time, although I guess most of those guys experienced endurance riders would be similar pace to the rest of you at that point?
It wasn't too bad really though I wasn't out at the release time... apparently they closed the pits for 10 mins to let them out so that came as a surprise to those wanting to finish a stint. There was a club there with 5 teams and a duo... so they had a train of their riders going round. Got chatting to one of them a few hours later and asked him what the deal was... started working with him and then he got out the saddle and his spoke blew up so he pulled in that lap.

He mentioned they where also running a solo 24h, was that the same time as you guys? :o
Yes. It started at the same time as ours. Tom Key managed to take the fastest lap overall too - 5:05... crazy fast and an interesting way to warm up for 24 hours solo! Matt Falconer was in our garage (2nd in Transcontinental this year), he was pulling turns in the front group for the first 10 laps or so at 25+ mph :D

Jason Kenny managed to beat his own time up Druids... something like 9.9 seconds last year... now 8.9 seconds. That's 36.2mph average up this... https://veloviewer.com/segment/724803/Druids+Climb,+Brands+Hatch

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't even see it worth wasting energy to see how I compared to that. I mostly rolled up the climb and put in a few digs out the saddle to get up it then a couple of digs to accelerate into the descent the other side.

The number of mechanicals on that climb was insane. I probably saw someone stopped at the side every 5 laps or so.

Soldato
Honestly it was mostly 6 individual time trials for me... I had maybe 10/56 laps working in a group. In one of those groups we passed Jason Kenny and convinced him to join so that lightened the mood a little at 7am. I had really expected more groups but it just didn't work out that way :(
Ahh rubbish, had assumed that riders would end up in large groups/pelotons on an open/windy circuit like that due to the drag effect, but I guess much of that would depend on the riders all having similar abilities (and speeds). Quite cool he was out there, many/any other distractions or chatty riders or everyone 'in the zone'?

Jason Kenny managed to beat his own time up Druids... something like 9.9 seconds this year... now 8.9 seconds. That's 36.2mph average up this... https://veloviewer.com/segment/724803/Druids+Climb,+Brands+Hatch
Nice, still wouldn't take the KOM though! (KOM holder looks like screwy GPS data from a ride) :o

One of the local lads was racing in the Junior Nationals at Brands, was that the same day again?! Very busy there! :o

My 'People I'm following' Leaderboard actually quite interesting:
h7ckG9S.jpg

On there you've got you guys semi-pacing it but still putting some big power numbers in, with Liam who's lighter than you and Benny floating up there. Hoppo who is around 85/90kg absolutely beasting it (but he's one hell of an engine anyway), with his kit/aero beating you guys for less power, although he's more weight. Then little Will who's actually racing it in a group/peloton and is a slip of a lad, probably around 50-55kg floating up there 5mph faster for 100-150W less.

He put in a 5:02 for his final lap, taking the circuit KOM but lost out on the segment leaderboard to 4 others in the same race to come in 7th. Brutal! :cool:

#stravadatanerding :D

Anyone got any Blackburn lights? There's a little cheapy £4 rear which reviews well on wiggle I'm considering getting a couple of. The baby chariot needs more lights, the two I currently have on the rear are great from the rear but it needs side visibility at the two roundabouts in traffic. The other half has had cars half pull out as she's just about passed - drivers obviously seeing her cycling, but not seeing the trailer following.

I've a helmet light (Lezyne Duo) I'm getting a bracket for as I think that will work well (front light at the front of it, pointing down, with the rear flashing red above) but also want to put some rear lights facing semi-sideways (think 8 o'clock & 4 o'clock).

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, my correct power was 5240w!

That segment can't be as accurate as the electronic timing for the youths. One of the staff was saying how the youths in huge groups never went as fast as 5:05 so the solo lap time seems kinda unbelievable. There was a crash in their final lap which ended up causing a delayed start to our race. I saw a few broken bikes being carried through the pit area at the end too.

Soldato
I assume you where doing hour long stints? Is that the recommended or totally down to the teams how they split the 24h up?

Ours were 1hr out, then come in. So if rolling past the pit lane at 59:40s it was another lap, unless of course absolutely blown to bits. A team of 4 in our pit garage finished quite high up the ranking but were doing 30 min turns so blasting it for the most part.

I didn't even see it worth wasting energy to see how I compared to that. I mostly rolled up the climb and put in a few digs out the saddle to get up it then a couple of digs to accelerate into the descent the other side.

The number of mechanicals on that climb was insane. I probably saw someone stopped at the side every 5 laps or so.

Haha yep. Power data is so useless without a control environment :o

It was hilarious on the first lap to have about 100 cyclists all stuck in the big ring and on the 11 from the descentm trying to shift down with single digit cadence when the gradient started to bite :D The amount of 'twanging' going on was obscene.

I found powering out the end of the pit lane over the slight rise and then round the apex of the corner and a good tuck gave me enough speed to just about reach the gantry. I was getting further up the climb before having to pedal than most.

Soldato
What issues? First I'd heard of it. Do we know when the Rapha autumn 20% sale is on yet?

The only way Americans know how to do acquisitions is buy a company, lay off all but the key staff and cut costs to the bone. As far as I know they’ve recently done step 2 and I assume there will be a lot of other “efficiencies” going on behind the scenes. I feel like the Rapha brand kind of hinged on the by riders, for riders thing and that’s very remote these days.

Soldato
Other than Ben's, you know those power numbers are pulled from thin air right?:p
Haha I know, but datadatadata-analyseanalyseanalyse! :D

That segment can't be as accurate as the electronic timing for the youths. One of the staff was saying how the youths in huge groups never went as fast as 5:05 so the solo lap time seems kinda unbelievable. There was a crash in their final lap which ended up causing a delayed start to our race. I saw a few broken bikes being carried through the pit area at the end too.
Yeah looks like the breakaway got caught and then at around a similar time there was a huge pile up. Looking at the ride titles the whole race had been full of crashes already so this title just about sums it all up 'crash fest,really choppy then brought down in crash on last lap'

Ours were 1hr out, then come in. So if rolling past the pit lane at 59:40s it was another lap, unless of course absolutely blown to bits. A team of 4 in our pit garage finished quite high up the ranking but were doing 30 min turns so blasting it for the most part.
Ouch, that would be pretty brutal! 30 min stints with only 1.5 hour rests for 24h = 12 of them if they kept it up for the whole 24h! :o

It was hilarious on the first lap to have about 100 cyclists all stuck in the big ring and on the 11 from the descentm trying to shift down with single digit cadence when the gradient started to bite :D The amount of 'twanging' going on was obscene.
Hahaha where there really that many of them racing over then dying up there on the first lap?! Excitement>Brains! Or maybe they all thought Brands was flat?! :D

The only way Americans know how to do acquisitions is buy a company, lay off all but the key staff and cut costs to the bone. As far as I know they’ve recently done step 2 and I assume there will be a lot of other “efficiencies” going on behind the scenes. I feel like the Rapha brand kind of hinged on the by riders, for riders thing and that’s very remote these days.
Rubbish, I hadn't heard things where quite so bad! Certainly hasn't effected their garments... Yet. Or the prices for that matter! :o

Soldato
Apparently the juniors sprint was hilarious. Finish line is a downhill.. they're all on junior gears and had a tailwind so they were all seated spinning like mad. Shame I didn't catch it myself.

Soldato
Rubbish, I hadn't heard things where quite so bad! Certainly hasn't effected their garments... Yet. Or the prices for that matter! :o

My main issue with Rapha these days is in the past they had a core range of excellent kit, but now their product range has gotten a bit big and unwieldy. I guess it’s what the market wants but it makes browsing their site a bit of a PITA (plus the fact they have sales almost as often as Planet X these days so you’re very wary about buying anything because you know a discount code will land the day after you hit purchase).

Soldato
Apparently the juniors sprint was hilarious. Finish line is a downhill.. they're all on junior gears and had a tailwind so they were all seated spinning like mad. Shame I didn't catch it myself.
Haha yeah I can see many of them hitting 130+rpm and nearly 50mph! A crash at those speeds must have been absolute carnage! :o

My main issue with Rapha these days is in the past they had a core range of excellent kit, but now their product range has gotten a bit big and unwieldy. I guess it’s what the market wants but it makes browsing their site a bit of a PITA (plus the fact they have sales almost as often as Planet X these days so you’re very wary about buying anything because you know a discount code will land the day after you hit purchase).
Totally agree, but it's also nice to have variation! I'm really after a matching Brevet set of kit as I do tend to find myself wearing a gilet in even semi-warm conditions for the windproofing. Some shorts with windproofing (without going for my fleecy Fiandre NoRain) would also be ideal. But not at the usual prices! Many of the older 'ranges' of theirs tend to be hit hard when sales come, but no the Brevet as I think so many like them... :cool:

Soldato
Storm Ali can gtfo!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1854150851/overview

Still super windy up here so my easy 3/4 hours turned into best part of an hour into a block headwind until a road closed sign. I didn't want to get into a debate about whether the road was passable as a cyclist or not so I took the diversion which takes me down towards a local 10 minute climb, for me at least!!, so I felt **** it and went up it. Went a lumpy way in the road too and saw my gran before heading home in with a ride time of just under 3 hours so that will do me.

Legs are in bits now after a hard Tuesday and a hard turbo last night but the plan is a wee spin tomorrow, zero at the weekend and then a hard Tuesday again with only gentle pedals until the race next Sunday.

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Brave. No chance I'm wasting watts in this wind. :p

Probably jumping on Zwift tonight, turn the legs, then maybe get out Saturday morning when hopefully the wind and rain will have buggered off.

Soldato
Brave. No chance I'm wasting watts in this wind. :p

Probably jumping on Zwift tonight, turn the legs, then maybe get out Saturday morning when hopefully the wind and rain will have buggered off.

I've never managed more than 30 minutes on the turbo as I prefer being outside, if you saw my turbo setup you may understand haha.

I lost count of the number of trees that have came down, I seemed to follow a group of council vans clearing the lanes I was using so it was pretty good timing!

Didn't have my Powertap wheel on but I've went 10s faster on the climb than earlier this year at 10:35 vs 10:45@335w but haven't beat last years time yet.

Soldato
Tempted to get outdoors tonight rather than recovery turbo for the second time this week but have a feeling I may regret it... equally it is probably a bit dangerous but this isn't ringing any bells for me for some reason :confused:

Back
Top Bottom