Road Cycling

Soldato
That a brand new bike? I think I may have seen a build up picture of that if you ordered it from Glasgow?

Appears not as you just had them built haha.

I do like the look of those bikes though, if I had the cash and all that.

Last edited:
Soldato
That a brand new bike? I think I may have seen a build up picture of that if you ordered it from Glasgow?

Appears not as you just had them built haha.

I do like the look of those bikes though, if I had the cash and all that.

Yeah, I picked the frame up in November and built it up myself. Thankfully managed to get it for just a touch over £3k instead of the almost £4k price it is now. Most of the bits were from my other bike, so didn't actually turn out anywhere near the £10k it would to get an off the shelf model.

@Thomas. PLease. is the R5 still in your stable?

No, decided to get rid, and have gone disc brakes on my road bikes now. I actually managed to sell the frame for a profit which was a win. Just got the Venge and a Kinesis 4s disc which is quite nice. Clearance up to 32mm tyres so got a couple of wheelsets for that, one with 28mm road tyres and one on 32mm gravel tyres.

Especially as the Venge is proving a bit painful to get my fit just right. I've been adjusting position nearly everytime I've been out on it!

Soldato
No, decided to get rid, and have gone disc brakes on my road bikes now. I actually managed to sell the frame for a profit which was a win. Just got the Venge and a Kinesis 4s disc which is quite nice. Clearance up to 32mm tyres so got a couple of wheelsets for that, one with 28mm road tyres and one on 32mm gravel tyres.

Yeah, the new 4S disc with thru-axles and flat mount wasn't available when I was looking so I settled on the Bowman. The pink one would have been great!:D

Soldato
My week of witnessing accidents continues,

just leaving work last night and spot someone jumping a red light at what looked like 30odd mph and almost completely smashed into a van of the company I work for. I made my way over as wasn't sure if anyone else had stopped/was hit, saw the driver of the car that jumped the red light, asked if he was ok, to which I got a reply that he had hit a cyclist. Went over a bit further and it was a guy I work with. I was instantly on to the police, and started taking details, somehow my mate was alright, his bike had a buckled and cracked rear wheel, frame was fine as was the tyre which didn't even puncture but he had no scratches on him or his clothes whatsoever.

The driver was very apologetic but was then in no fit state to drive home, which was a good 120 miles away, I had to move his car out of the carriageway as he was too shake. He admitted at the scene he was looking at his sat nav, but for my mate to get to where he was hit he must have jumped the lights by a good 3 or 4 seconds after they went red.

Police didn't come out as an ambulance wasn't called, friends a bit bruised and stiff today but no worse somehow. Scarily we were talking on the way out of the building about him getting a new helmet as his current one is uncomfortable and thus he isn't wearing it currently! seeing what I saw he was bloody lucky to walk away, it could have been horrendous if the car had properly clipped his bike! but looking at the damage of the car (barely a scratch on the front bumper) and the bike he must have barely touched the backwheel but due to the speed caused the damage.

Soldato
Makes you think how fragile we are sometimes.

The guy who runs the small team I'm racing with this year is a bike guide in Lanzarote and decided to take a left hand bend quick, like he does every other day.

This time a car was on the wrong side of the road and he had to swerve and ended up off after a bumpy off road ride. Fractured elbow, 4 fractures to the collar bone and 3 broken ribs later.

Stay save bros!

Soldato
Not a very good pic but there we are. Ultra stealth decals on the wheels themselves.

Qe0wDrv.jpg
view
Looks an absolute weapon! Very very stealth all over, but enough there that if you know, then 'you know'. Details like the holographic Sworks, tan walls, gold chain and ceramicspeed jockey arm really make it! Everything internal just makes it look so so clean too. You don't realise just how much! I'm jealous and I would ride it (quite a tough things for me to say as you know I like my bright colours, decals and logo's)! :p ;)

Just got the Venge and a Kinesis 4s disc which is quite nice. Clearance up to 32mm tyres so got a couple of wheelsets for that, one with 28mm road tyres and one on 32mm gravel tyres.

Especially as the Venge is proving a bit painful to get my fit just right. I've been adjusting position nearly everytime I've been out on it!
Nice Disc only stable! Heading that way myself... Hopefully. Can't remember if we talked about the weight of the Venge and if you'd had a chance to weigh it yet?

Really like the integrated bars from the 2018+ Venge. So much better than the older one! So tidy! :)

Soldato
Yeah shame a guy like that has to wind up shop, his website was always one of the better ones for info/an informed read.

I forgot to mention, anyone looking for some bargain handbuilts, he's selling off stock cheap from his instagram account https://www.instagram.com/noblewheels/

Looks an absolute weapon! Very very stealth all over, but enough there that if you know, then 'you know'. Details like the holographic Sworks, tan walls, gold chain and ceramicspeed jockey arm really make it! Everything internal just makes it look so so clean too. You don't realise just how much! I'm jealous and I would ride it (quite a tough things for me to say as you know I like my bright colours, decals and logo's)! :p ;)

Nice Disc only stable! Heading that way myself... Hopefully. Can't remember if we talked about the weight of the Venge and if you'd had a chance to weigh it yet?

Really like the integrated bars from the 2018+ Venge. So much better than the older one! So tidy! :)

Thanks, never really intended it to be mega stealth, but seems to work well like that! I did actually have the battleship grey one bought, then had a sudden change of mind to swap for black. Not sure grey and fluo yellow would work well with blue and orange team kit! I think it was the right choice.

Weight wise its come out at about 7.8kg which is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Combination of mostly ultegra kit and not the lightest wheelset/tyres etc vs Rovals and turbo cottons.

Just ordered a DA front mech which is a slight weight saving, might cut the seatpost too which may save a bit more weight, not that its of much importance weight as much as I do.

These may have also just slipped into my basket :o

49907114_2213599978958398_4959031963848054773_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a lovely couple of days out on a hire bike in Gran Canaria this week. I went for a Tarmac SL6 and have to say it’s a lot nicer than the older Tarmacs. Will still be taking my own bike next time I go on holiday though I think!

Soldato
Day 1 was the GC60 out of Maspalomas up to San Bartolomé then back via Santa Luciá. On day 2 I rode round to Mogán and did the Serenity climb. It was epic, loved every minute of the ascent. The descent over the other side though...not so much. Half of it is pretty much a dirt track!

Soldato
I will have to work it out, I fitted them when I built my Felt in the summer, then took them off as I hate them in the wet around September time. Fitted them to my winter wheels a few weeks back as my winter Gp4000s were ruined.

Not as much as I'd have liked, doesn't explain the bulging though.

Soldato
Great time for a 10 mate, I think I'll stick to Conti from now on. I need to swap one off my better wheels for tomorrows run.

Just worked it out at 2750 miles on that tyre. No turbo use either.

19th June until the 20th October 2320 miles. Just before Christmas I think I stuck these on the winter bike which did a few hundred miles to bring it up to 2750.

Back
Top Bottom