Road Cycling

Soldato
BB should be good, fit with grease & I had the chain off at the weekend and it felt sweet.

Will try seatpost and pedals.

It doesn’t sound like the pedals but then they have 50’000km on them and I haven’t touched them ever as they just work. (Shimano Ultegra).

It’s a click/tink/ping noise which had me thinking spokes.

I had a bit of a ride tonight, my legs feel heavy now. Decent bit of base as I haven’t done any centuries since January and need to get a few 2 hour rides in, 60-90 mins on zwift won’t help me much.

Soldato
The bunch was splattered to bits and we seemed to make the cut of about 7 riders until the 1st cat and 2nd cat decided to attack and go away :o. Two good guys finished together then my mate was in a group of 4 which I'd have been in if I wasn't an idiot.
There was loads of people dropped as it got hard tonight

Still think you guys are riding chaingang's totally wrong. :p Too many bundys! :rolleyes: ;)

Awesome KOM to have grabbed though!

Aside from that I’m unsure. Pedal spindles, rear QR, chainring bolts maybe?
Check all of them... And handlebars!

Also worth taking cleats off, cleaning and refitting. Grit on the sole of the shoe (between the cleat) is a right pain!

Not sure which thing fixed it but it sounded like it was coming from the BB.
Everything sounds like it's coming from the BB though doesn't it?! :rolleyes: :lol:

Mine was the pedal arm last time I had a wierd click. Before that chainring bolts.
Pedal arm?! The crank arm?! :o

Biblical rain and freezing cold yesterday but a nice fine afternoon. Very cold here this morning and although my legs where good yesterday they feel bad today. Dammit. Should've gone on Zwift yesterday...

So yesterday the nursery decided the little one's temperature was a little high (37.6 ffs), gave him calpol and their policy now is to send them home if they've administered calpol as it can 'mask other symptoms'. So I got the lovely second ride in the end of the biblical rain at 11am before my wet kit had dried from the morning commute... At least I got to spend most of the day with my boy who was absolutely fine and not ill/poorly in the slightest... And still have to pay the day rate for nursery... :rolleyes:

The other half had a 'conversation' with them this morning. They sent several home yesterday due to high temperatures. Then the manager admitted she noticed the heating was on much hotter than normal! Idiots! #fuming :mad::confused::o:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't get me wrong, it's utterly amazing most of the time, it's just the ballrocks like this which drive me mad! Nursery is almost 50 quid a day (also one of the cheapest around), so yesterday was 50 notes for 2 hours. Bit steep!

You can't argue with them as at the end of the day they're a nursery with 30-40 kids so you like to think they know what they're doing. Equally he's not a kid that's ill very often and absolutely loves his time there - so just means they really noticed when he was sat quietly and 'not himself' so they decided he was ill. He did fall asleep in the chariot on the way home (which he hasn't done for months), so maybe he was just tired. Also that 20 minutes he had then, was all the naps he had all day! I did try to get him down in the afternoon so I could go on Zwift, but he lasted 5-6 mins (normally get 60-90 minutes sleep out of him) haha. Dammit! ;)

Soldato
Just went to have a look at a local nurseries rates but they aren't published, must be bad!

I think we'll look for me to get a better job, mrs go part time to be opposite to my shifts then use grandparents to fill in the gaps.

I'll need to get a pretty decent Zwift setup if I want to continue racing with less time on the road. It certainly works as my boss has been out on the road for only a handful of 60 mile rides but managed to hang wheels last night like a champ as he's still strong from Zwifting.

Soldato
You don't need a decent Zwift setup for that, as basically it's the structure and training which have given him that. Just a trainer to supply enough resistance is required for the sort of stuff you're doing. But also a system (Zwift/TR/other) that engages you enough to stick with whatever training/structure. That's really down to the individual - much of it is willpower on poor setups, on more expensive smart trainers it's more down to money. So expensive trainers and subscriptions to services like Zwift.

Nurseries are a minefield.

We have parents/gran-parents around but they're not close enough to provide any support. 50-60 mile round trips either end of the working day are not feasible and really don't save any money for us. You could say time with the mini^me is more important to us than money for the couple of years until we get paid for childcare. Around us nursery day rates are anywhere between £40-70 per day. That's without 'late pick up' (normal pickups being 4.30 for us, an additional £15 per day for up to 5.30pm!). We had to go the cheap end of that to make it affordable, but that means quite a busy nursery where he might not get quite the personal care and attention. Thankfully he's big, strong and ahead of the curve so hasn't needed any. Equally he's now used to being around a large bunch of kids (they have 5 classroooms for the age brackets - all of which are under 4 years old!) who he'll be going to school with. His busy day (today) has 34 kids in the same 'room'! They also have lots of space, his class have a sensory room as well (as their normal room), a smaller 'messy room' and loads of outside space. The cheaper place we looked at had NO outdoor space (just 4x4 slabs of patio).

The closer nursery places to us where £60 & 65 per day. The one was for army families so they had high prices for non-army families, the other being a primary school where they're oversubscribed and have a waiting list so can charge what they like. So we're using a more inner-city nursery thankfully still on my other halfs commute (and only 3 miles away from my work). Even going this cheaper end of the spectrum my other half dropped to 3 days a week at work, so her wage dropped considerably. She's basically working to pay for the childcare - but keeps per position open so when he goes to school she can go back to 5 days a week. Until the free childcare kicks in (at 3 years old) we're basically not saving any money and some months not even breaking even when a large bill comes in. Thankfully have savings for that. Childcare costs more than our mortgage (which we thankfully fixed at ~£500 pm). We obviously do everything we can to save money - Checkoutsmart, Quidco, Tesco Clubcard, Topcashback, etc. 4 months of an AMEX card just rewarded us with enough nectar points we can spend on Eurostar tickets next summer to go to Eurodisney - before he's 3 years old (so he's free to get in). 'Sun Holiday' tokens from the paper this year will be spent on Alton Towers tickets, as with park tickets you get 40% off the onsite hotels, one of which has an amazing indoor waterpark. So 2 days there. We've found you have to be quite frugal and a bargain hunter to do well at this young stage! ;)

Soldato
Yeah I probabaly wouldn't need a neo or anything too fancy. I'd just want to go down the apple TV box on a 32" TV then a turbo that can tell me power.

We both earn about the same at the moment with me doing 5 8 hour days 9.30-5.30 and she does 4 days then 3 days 8-9 so I aim to try and earn more on something like 7-3 so she can do 3-9 part time. Saving for a mortgage at the moment and squaring up debt which I can't wait to be clear of. Mortgage on the house we rent would be about £400 and we pay £500 at the moment. My mum and dad are 10 minutes down the road, her dad stays about 5 away and her mum near my parents so can't complain too much if they can help. You just get on with it i guess? I used to let myself out to and back from school probabaly younger than I should have been due to parents working to survive

Soldato
Yeah just get on with it. Realised quite early on that we had very limited choices to. Family can help out but not regularly enough to drop a days nursery, so we don't (have to commit to nursery schedule and to drop an isolated day and not pay for it, we have to give them a months notice. So we don't do it for the odd day, only those things we book in advance).

My other half has a far better paid job than I do, but then her employer was happy for her to work part-time when she returned to work. Mine although very accommodating wanted me to work the same hours. It is a little more flexible, so the 3 nursery days I work 8-4 and the other 2 days 8-5.30. I've cut my usual hour lunchtimes for the week down to half hour, so I generally work till 5:30 the 2 full days so I'm doing the same hours as before to keep my wage unchanged (40 hour week)... Laura changed from 8.30-5 for the week to 9-5.30 for her 3 days. Means she can do the nursery drop off and I can do pickups. She's also paid for 4 hours on a saturday morning worked as a rota (2 weeks in 3 for a 28 hour week), It also dropped her down several tax brackets so she's taking home a little more than we had initially thought. After childcare and mortgage we probably have ~£500-600 'left over' each month. Throw in the weekly shop, DD bills, fuel etc into that and it's closer to £200-300 to 'live on'. So let's just say cycling our commutes is a must and we don't go out very often, or when we do it's on a voucher...! ;)

Thankfully I have a bunch of savings. When we re-fixed our mortgage there was no benefit for paying a chunk of it off, so some of that money went into monthly payments into an ISA. Things like that really help out - it 'earnt' me £200 over a 12 month period, far more than any interest. I also have some rental income from property which helps as a yearly injection - it just about covers the council tax for 12 months and the car insurance (it's not much), but is a massive help. It's those big bills which really hit the savings otherwise. On the flip of that, the fact I have income from co-owned property and we have savings, means we get zero benefits. :(

When we setup our mortgage we basically made sure that the one of us who got paid the least (me) could still afford it if the other one lost their job - while also giving us the bare minimum to live on. That was before the little one but it's certainly helped as means we're not in debt coming into parenthood like many other families. Also Laura only having the 8 months maternity, hear of so many rolling it up to 12 months (4 of those being unpaid!) The years before we had lots of disposable income which we where both quite good at saving. That's the 'buffer' we have now. We sat down and 'worst case' scenario'd it. The worst was a shortfall of £6k a year until we got free childcare so we made sure we had the savings to cover those 3 years if we really needed to. We haven't, so the times we dip into the savings for things we have been generally able to pay back the next couple of months. A real buffer! We have friends who've had to take out loans to cover such things. Getting into crazy amounts of debt with no hope of paying it back for 3+ years! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Back on track... How's everyone enjoyed this week? Mixed bag of weather but looks like cool & clear here on saturday so I'm hopefully heading out on the club run. Annoyingly seem to be under the weather with a virus type thing, so hopefully shift it before then. Just feeling lethargic and like I've got no energy, yet when actually riding my legs feel ok.

Soldato
First TT in 4 years for me this evening, only an 8 mile course though. Should be a cracking evening, very little wind and sun (or a bit of cloud at most). Not at full form at the moment, but looking forward to it.
It'll only be the 5th time I've ridden the TT bike too, still getting used to the position, but from what I gather, everything should be uncomfortable in a TT anyway!

Soldato
Back on track... How's everyone enjoyed this week? Mixed bag of weather but looks like cool & clear here on saturday so I'm hopefully heading out on the club run. Annoyingly seem to be under the weather with a virus type thing, so hopefully shift it before then. Just feeling lethargic and like I've got no energy, yet when actually riding my legs feel ok.

Afternoon sick note ;)

Another local CC has a reliability ride on Sunday, so I'm planning on joining that. Hopefully last longer in a group this time!

Soldato
First TT in 4 years for me this evening, only an 8 mile course though. Should be a cracking evening, very little wind and sun (or a bit of cloud at most). Not at full form at the moment, but looking forward to it.
It'll only be the 5th time I've ridden the TT bike too, still getting used to the position, but from what I gather, everything should be uncomfortable in a TT anyway!
Goodluck! You'll smash it, 8 miles is what 15 minutes for you on a Road Bike anyway? :D

Yeah if it's comfortable you're not pushing hard enough, or you're a Pro! ;)

Afternoon sick note ;)

Another local CC has a reliability ride on Sunday, so I'm planning on joining that. Hopefully last longer in a group this time!
Haha, thanks! Really feeling like that at the moment. Pretty much written off for the whole of March, couple of good sessions towards the end of the month, a club ride and then the Zwift session last weekend I really felt like I was taking some steps to get back on track. Meh.

Hopefully it's just a 24/48h thing. It's interrupted my sleep which is probably the main cause of the lethargic feeling I hope. Early couple of nights for me ahead! :)

Really need to get myself out for some different rides, although being so short on time and weather/fitness/health it feels like many months since I even did any of my usual routes! :o

Soldato
I got a hilly 60 in on Tuesday and an easy 30k last night on the road bike.

Might have 45 mins on the TT on the trainer tomorrow then got a 22 mile TT Saturday which I am slightly under done for.

Soldato
Had some good news on my Powertap C1. Can recommend Cyclepowermeters! :cool:

Basically, they're fixing my fault under warranty (as it's only 2 months over), then also changing the rings, but doing the maintenance/recalibration under warranty. So I only have to pay for the rings (£155). The only rings they have available (as I thought, Powertap are phasing out the C1) are 53/39 (my old rings are 52/36). Normal supply and recalibration of new rings (to an existing unit) is usually around £350.

So I have the decision to make now on what to do about it... I'd be pretty silly not to go ahead with their offer. I could then sell as a complete unit (with rings unused) to try and recoup costs. I paid £650 for it originally and would be lucky to get £350-400 selling it on. Or keep it and use it. Part of me thinks to fit it on the turbo and use it there - wear would be pretty low when not exposed to outdoor conditions and the higher gearing wouldn't be too much of an issue. Out doors I'll have to consider what I'm doing bike wise in the near future to guide me... Ideally I'll get a PWM now to use on my Diverge which I'll then move over to the new bike. So the Diverge then just used as a winter bike and commuter, doesn't really need a PWM, but I would have one (crankset/crankspider) I could swap between the two if I wanted to for those long winter months...

Really liking the idea of the Specialized carbon cranks, with the Quarq Dzero spider. Should work our around £300-400 cheaper than the Specialized Power Cranks as I (hopefully) wouldn't be buying the cranks new... #planning! :cool:

Soldato
Had some good news on my Powertap C1. Can recommend Cyclepowermeters! :cool:

Basically, they're fixing my fault under warranty (as it's only 2 months over), then also changing the rings, but doing the maintenance/recalibration under warranty. So I only have to pay for the rings (£155). The only rings they have available (as I thought, Powertap are phasing out the C1) are 53/39 (my old rings are 52/36). Normal supply and recalibration of new rings (to an existing unit) is usually around £350.

So I have the decision to make now on what to do about it... I'd be pretty silly not to go ahead with their offer. I could then sell as a complete unit (with rings unused) to try and recoup costs. I paid £650 for it originally and would be lucky to get £350-400 selling it on. Or keep it and use it. Part of me thinks to fit it on the turbo and use it there - wear would be pretty low when not exposed to outdoor conditions and the higher gearing wouldn't be too much of an issue. Out doors I'll have to consider what I'm doing bike wise in the near future to guide me... Ideally I'll get a PWM now to use on my Diverge which I'll then move over to the new bike. So the Diverge then just used as a winter bike and commuter, doesn't really need a PWM, but I would have one (crankset/crankspider) I could swap between the two if I wanted to for those long winter months...

Really liking the idea of the Specialized carbon cranks, with the Quarq Dzero spider. Should work our around £300-400 cheaper than the Specialized Power Cranks as I (hopefully) wouldn't be buying the cranks new... #planning! :cool:

Great news on getting it done under g'tee! :)

Am I right in thinking you currently have an 11-28 cassette? If so, it could very much be worth buying an 11-34 cassette and medium cage mech, if you're going to use the new 53/39 rings outdoors on hilly rides. The change would get you an easiest gear of ~31 gear inches, as opposed to your current ~32.8 GI according to https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Medium r7000 mech ~£37 at https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-rd-r7000-rear-derailleur-11-speed-117065.html (~£65 for the r8000 :eek: )
Quick look around doesn't look easy to find 11-34 cassettes in stock, they could be had for ~£35 for the 105 equivalents a while ago.

Soldato
Well last night was an education! First TT in years.
I was comfortable with the pacing, as I've dont quite a few 20 min FTP tests, which are pretty similar in terms of pain!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2282720506

That effort was good enough for 2nd on the night, but some of the other quick boys weren't out. Definitely room for improvement. Same course next week, so hopefully the weather holds, and I'll have fully fresh legs then too. Yesterday I was nowhere near full form (according to TP anyway :p)

Soldato
Great news on getting it done under g'tee! :)

Am I right in thinking you currently have an 11-28 cassette? If so, it could very much be worth buying an 11-34 cassette and medium cage mech, if you're going to use the new 53/39 rings outdoors on hilly rides. The change would get you an easiest gear of ~31 gear inches, as opposed to your current ~32.8 GI according to https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Medium r7000 mech ~£37 at https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-rd-r7000-rear-derailleur-11-speed-117065.html (~£65 for the r8000 :eek: )
Quick look around doesn't look easy to find 11-34 cassettes in stock, they could be had for ~£35 for the 105 equivalents a while ago.
Yup, I was pretty speechless on the phone. Had in the back of my mind them phasing out the C1 would mean either an expensive repair, or an offer of compensation - money off another PWM. I did have some dread in the back of my mind - "Sorry mr Jones, we're unable to repair your PWM" (with no option!). :o

Good call on actually putting some numbers to the difference. I've never ridden 53/39 (only 52/36 and 50/34) and you're right about hilly rides... As that's my thing! I'm running an Ultegra 6800 11-32 cassette currently with 6800 RD there's no option to go up to 34t. Maybe now is the time/opportunity to go up to DI2? ;)

So my gear inches really matter on the lower, so best to compare the difference between 39T and my previous 36T when using the 32T. I'll admit I didn't use it that much on the 36T (liked having a 'bailout'), but that will have to change. 39T is 32.9", 36T is 30.4". It does mean that before I was probably riding the 28t rather than the 32t (which is 34.7"). So the 39t still gives me a lower gear than that when on the 32t.

Does mean my highest (52t to 53t) has moved up from 127.6" to 130.1". Zoooooooooom! :D

To be fair I think I'll just sit on the repaired PWM for now until I decide what to do. It'll obviously be worth more unused and until I'm doing far more riding/training I don't particularly need power out on the road. I'm seeing a bit of an issue with the original rings I've fitted and I think the 50T is slightly warped/bent. Really not helping with me trying to solve my chain rubbing. I look down from above when just at tempo and I can see the chain move inwards and outwards in time with the cranks. Will investigate later by stripping and cleaning ahead of tomorrows ride. It doesn't particularly do it in the stand/by hand. I'm not putting out the power I'd think required to flex it at tempo. Maybe it's just some side play in the bearing/wavy washer and adding a spacer to the crank spindle will solve. If I've got one I'll try that as obviously the easiest/quickest thing to try!

Cyclepowermeters are great, would definitely recommend their customer service.
Yup great so far. Although not that responsive to emails (well not with a service like mine). Will update as I've paid for my repair but also asked a question. They where certainly quick to phone me yesterday as I chased up the repair (day 13 of a '14 working day' they'd quoted) and I had a call within 15 minutes.

Well last night was an education! First TT in years.
I was comfortable with the pacing, as I've dont quite a few 20 min FTP tests, which are pretty similar in terms of pain!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2282720506

That effort was good enough for 2nd on the night, but some of the other quick boys weren't out. Definitely room for improvement. Same course next week, so hopefully the weather holds, and I'll have fully fresh legs then too. Yesterday I was nowhere near full form (according to TP anyway :p)
Mega ride mate. 10th overall on the segment with non-fresh non-form legs and not much TT practice - really shows your pedigree! Monster! Well done! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom