Road Cycling

Soldato
Went out Saturday morning solo. It was a test of character as bit chilly early on, damp roads, incorrect attire (too warm on bottoms, too cold on top, noob error) & swirling winds made it just pretty unsavoury - I was unbelievably close to just throwing the towel in after 3 or 4 miles and going home to jump on the trainer, I just wasn't feeling it. I stuck it out somehow.

Quite pleased I did actually as I made a 20 min power PB right out of nowhere:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2451105637

Didn't even feel like a particularly tough ride, but I think I paced it nicely not going out too hard early on (I think the crappy conditions helped in that respect).

Kinda got me wondering about doing an FTP test some time this week, although tbh I absolutely bloody hate them. :(

Soldato
I'm still written off by this chest thing. Feel about 75% but any kind of exercise triggers a coughing fit with a load of junk sitting in/on my lungs. Have actually thrown up a couple of times from coughing so much, once this morning when I got to work. Have given up, I'm reaching the 3rd week of it and have booked myself into the docs... In 3 weeks time (earliest appointment ffs!). :o

Skipped the turbo this weekend as low on sleep but really need to do something. My fitness has taken quite a hit, I was making nice progress after my holiday but now that's all been thrown out the window. The last 8 months have been a constant peak->trough with illnesses, holidays and crappy weather. Maybe I'm asking too much with having a youngster, but without setting some ride aims I hadn't got any challenges to look forward to. The two imperials I had lined up this year, one has been cancelled anyway. The other is next weekend and I really don't think I'm going to be healthy enough to even attempt it. Or the 70 mile version I did last year. :(

Weather is just so odd and localised currently down this way which is probably the most frustrating thing. Could head out in bright sunshine and by the time I'm over the hill (no jokes please) it's damp or raining, then 20 minutes later nothing. Luckily it's quite warm so if it is only light then don't need to wrap up as drying off relatively quickly!
Very similar to here, with Hereford in a bit of a 'bowl' the winds tend to swirl around bringing differing weather with them from the various surrounding hills. We've got Wales to the west, the Shropshire hills to the north (Clee), Malverns to the east and the Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons to the south. Makes for some fantastic riding but you can get all seasons in some of the longer circular rides...

I think your kinda stuck if that is your BB Roady as the cranks are fairly bespoke to Praxis.

Different size crank axle one side to the other hence the 28 and 30mm ID bearings.

The width of the BB doesn’t really change much now as most are press fit 30 or some variation on that. And the sleeve if it isn’t part of the construction of the BB (like BB manufacturing/infinite etc which thread together and expand) doesn’t really add anything anyway.

If the cranks were BB30 you could just throw away and fit just about any PF30. You’ll have to get Google as to who makes M30 Praxis compatible ones!
Yeah I know I'm stuck with this BB:crank combo so that's kinda why I was asking about frame compatibility when it comes to switching BB's. I think this Praxis is just a 'normal' BB just the NDS bearing has the shim/spacer to make it 28mm ID. The cranks with the NDS step down to 28mm are where the 'problem' is with compatibility. The bearings are the same both sides. So I could replace the BB with a 'normal' BB (the Wheelsmfg PF30 is looking the likely one, it's very well regarded and they even do spacers for it to be used on Specialized OSBB carbon frames like mine). So that would open up the cranks I can use to anything with a 30mm spindle - I just need to decide which. To be honest I could do that with this Praxis BB - just change the NDS bearing for a normal one without a shim in it, presto 30mm ID.

To be honest part of me thinks I could long term use Shimano adaptors on the wheelsmfg to make it a 24mm spindle as I have Ultegra cranks on the turbo bike I could then use. I could then fit a Stages/4iiii crank arm PWM to it with the bike becoming my commuter/winter bike. BB on Turbo bike being 24mm ID I could refit the original FSA Gossamer as it's 110BCD 5 arm so would be compatible with my Powertap C1. I could get new 30mm cranks (Quarq Dzero/SRAM Red) to use in the medium term on the Diverge (before the Ultegra swap) with the intentions for them to move to a new bike...

With the BB being the focal point, but having lots of options, the cranks I use will really have to decide it. For now it looks like 30mm cranks are the way forwards rather than stepping down to 24mm Shimano. There's just more options! I may even have found some Specialized carbon cranks for a reasonable price, but the guy is over in the states and I've no idea how much shipping/import will cost! :o

Still a bit of a lurker / reader / non poster in this sub forum, but here goes

Me and two mates have a bit of a (relatively) regular Sunday morning casual / social ride which usually involves a coffee / breakfast stop and plenty of banter we average 40-50 miles but got up to 70 odd in the summer months of last year

Anyway way out last weekend and about 25 miles in, just going through Macclesfield and intending to go up to the cat and fiddle when a nasty grinding sound and skidded to a halt to find my mech hanger snapped catapulting my rear derailleur into my back wheel ....<snip>
Ouch! Glad it happened on the flat/easy riding along and not a descent. Hanger looks quite a weak design, as it's really thin where it snapped?!

Great pics btw, greyscale really works well with filthy components, although that RD does look really really clean...!

Last edited:
Soldato
Do it!

I did one Friday. Came as close you to quitting halfway through! They hurt!!

Think I might do, will have to wait till Wednesday though for a bit of freshness.

Question is: Go hard right from the off and just try to hang on for dear life in the last 5 mins, or go easy-ish and ramp it up gradually?

Keeping a rock steady pace through 20 mins doesn't tend to work for me, I think I need to curve up or curve down, even if just slightly.

Soldato
Kinda got me wondering about doing an FTP test some time this week, although tbh I absolutely bloody hate them. :(

I've still never bothered but work now has wattbikes so it's half tempting... I wonder if the gym is really cool enough though. There isn't really any point to me doing an FTP test besides curiosity.

Soldato
Think I might do, will have to wait till Wednesday though for a bit of freshness.

Question is: Go hard right from the off and just try to hang on for dear life in the last 5 mins, or go easy-ish and ramp it up gradually?

Keeping a rock steady pace through 20 mins doesn't tend to work for me, I think I need to curve up or curve down, even if just slightly.

Not sure tbh. I use them as TT training too, so it's pick a power and stick to it for the whole 20 mins.
I can't imagine the 'go hard and hang on' technique would work. Maybe gradually ramp it up, but then you may leave it too late. Next time you'll have a better idea I guess though.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on why you're doing it.

Soldato
I've still never bothered but work now has wattbikes so it's half tempting... I wonder if the gym is really cool enough though. There isn't really any point to me doing an FTP test besides curiosity.

Make sure you have a big fan on you or you won't last. Seriously!
I have my Wattbike in front of a desk, with a standard table fan thing on full blast. I'm still sweating my ass off all the way through.

That's the main reason I hate gym training, I get too hot (doesn't help that I'm usually in very hot countries though!)

Soldato
The first one works if you've done lots of intensity training and I think looking at your HR during your ride you'll cope with it fine. The track riding you've done and good Zwift sessions/races just mean you can sit in threshold. If you've done lots of club/social riding then the second one works better as you generally have the endurance to ride progressively harder before reaching threshold and blowing up at the end.

The Ramp test I found to be quite accurate and it didn't carry much fatigue so there's less feeling of dread about doing one again. Worth a look if you can't bear 20 minute tests! ;)

Soldato
Make sure you have a big fan on you or you won't last. Seriously!
I have my Wattbike in front of a desk, with a standard table fan thing on full blast. I'm still sweating my ass off all the way through.

That's the main reason I hate gym training, I get too hot (doesn't help that I'm usually in very hot countries though!)
Yeah, maybe I'll steal the receptionist's desk fan if they've got one :D

Associate
Did a trip out to Bakewell yesterday and met up with a few others.
A couple were quite slow so overall time was slow but boy did the hills ever make up for it.
Winnats, Mam nik and monsall head were all ticked off along with 2 other brutal no name climbs. Thought one of them was harder than the ones mentioned by a factor.

Although pleasing on the eye didn’t think much to Winnats. Thought mam nik ( mam tor) was a lot nicer. Seeing the road snake up a la tdf mountain stages was such an experience when you know you have to peddle up it. Still buzzing about it now.
Decided to reserve energy till we had done Winnats as it was my main goal for the day

https://www.strava.com/activities/2455528012

Pleased with the hills.
We had a little after party at the end to make it a metric century.
6800foot of climbing in 56 miles is not to be sniffed at.
JB

Soldato
Winnats sucked when I rode it. Full block headwind being funnelled down the valley. Didn't cycle up Mam Tor the proper way, the other way was a bit boring.

Soldato
Ouch! Glad it happened on the flat/easy riding along and not a descent. Hanger looks quite a weak design, as it's really thin where it snapped?!

Great pics btw, greyscale really works well with filthy components, although that RD does look really really clean...!

I had, luckily, just come down a a decent hill and was pulling out into a roundabout. It was still quite early so quiet or could have been a lot worse ....

Yeah, the hanger isn't the beefiest and quite thin in that area generally so no surprise it's eventually gone really :(

A bit of artistic licence has worked well :p the bike had recently had a good clean including the cassette, chain and jockey wheels so was a blessing when working on the Fixie conversion :p

Soldato
Went past a clean air day (20th June) sign this morning, suggestions of which were to use public transport or car share..... Nothing else.
Terrible. Just shows the general mentality of the populace and local governments. We need regime and culture change!

FTP is only useful as a measure to base training around it. With the riding you do (lack of virtual cycling or specific power sessions) it's pretty meaningless, unless you where looking into the TT side of things more?

Ultimately, I guess it depends on why you're doing it.
Exactly. To suddenly jump on a Wattbike and perform a 20 minute test is hard, you won't get that accurate a measurement until you're more used to riding a wattbike and/or more used to pushing hard for 20 minutes. I know when I 'first' jump on the trainer in the autumns after a good summer outside I really find it hard. It's a slightly different technique, especially with a smart trainer and can take a little while to condition yourself to. That's why many people find they have different inside & outside FTP's.

Great ride, brutal route & conditions!

Yeah, the hanger isn't the beefiest and quite thin in that area generally so no surprise it's eventually gone really :(

A bit of artistic licence has worked well :p the bike had recently had a good clean including the cassette, chain and jockey wheels so was a blessing when working on the Fixie conversion :p
Such a shame a largely inexpensive poorly designed part like a hanger can cause such an expensive knock on when it fails. The hanger on my Giant was a pain, 2 tiny screws just wouldn't stay tight! The one on my Specialized is one big bolt and stays tight... But then as it's one bolt and it moves around/frame flexes slightly the boss it screws into is sinking further into the frame. One day it's going to destroy the dropout and need an expensive carbon repair... :o

After repairing at the side of the road one of my chains and then a couple of weeks afterwards having to help a friend repair his, I now carry latex gloves with me everywhere. At least 2 pairs haha

Then again I kinda get my gloves in bulk, about the only benefit from working in horticulture is getting a box of gloves (with at least 250 gloves in there) for a couple of quid. They're actually sold by weight and not quantity! Pro tip: don't get black gloves, when they tear and you get oily mess through its hard to tell. Use an obvious colour (blue/green) like they do in catering/food prep so you can tell when you get a hole...

Last edited:
Soldato
FTP is only useful as a measure to base training around it. With the riding you do (lack of virtual cycling or specific power sessions) it's pretty meaningless, unless you where looking into the TT side of things more?

Yeah, this is what I'm saying it's fairly pointless but what else should I do with a wattbike? I don't really do training. I just ride.

Might give Zwift another go on it. I should have done the RP TT but really couldn't be arsed with getting up at stupid o'clock in the morning.

Soldato
Such a shame a largely inexpensive poorly designed part like a hanger can cause such an expensive knock on when it fails. The hanger on my Giant was a pain, 2 tiny screws just wouldn't stay tight! The one on my Specialized is one big bolt and stays tight... But then as it's one bolt and it moves around/frame flexes slightly the boss it screws into is sinking further into the frame. One day it's going to destroy the dropout and need an expensive carbon repair... :o

After repairing at the side of the road one of my chains and then a couple of weeks afterwards having to help a friend repair his, I now carry latex gloves with me everywhere. At least 2 pairs haha

Then again I kinda get my gloves in bulk, about the only benefit from working in horticulture is getting a box of gloves (with at least 250 gloves in there) for a couple of quid. They're actually sold by weight and not quantity! Pro tip: don't get black gloves, when they tear and you get oily mess through its hard to tell. Use an obvious colour (blue/green) like they do in catering/food prep so you can tell when you get a hole...

I know, but to be fair of the three bikes i have it's the first time it's happened (fingers crossed the only one!)

I have a box of latex gloves but find they tear too quickly (they are a tad small though!) But do have some of the forecourt gloves just forgot to use them doh!

I have a spare hanger for my HT MTB - may have to invest in a spare for each bike .....

Soldato
Interesting read! 4% body fat though!!

At least you have the green light to eat like a pig for a bit ;)

How did you get into the study out of curiosity?

All I am doing is eating when I am hungry and getting away from strict 3 square meals a day. Just eating more Skyr yoghurt, more fruit, more flapjacks and drinking more milkshake without being militant and all the better for it! :)

The doctor spoke to a mate of his in a local cycling club and he shared it privately on their FB. A mate of mine in their club let me know and I spoke to the club to get the doctors contact info.... the criteria was quite strict in terms of age group and weekly exercise/fitness level but I fitted to it spot on luckily and got the go ahead.

There was a lot more to the study than I mention in my blog. I had to have high and low pressure blood cut off cuff things on my quads for 2 of the tests and they were taking blood out of me for absolute fun!!

Back
Top Bottom