Road Cycling

Soldato
https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc...hooting-Pairing-with-the-ELEMNT-Companion-App

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204280494-Android-Bluetooth-Troubleshooting

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/7t3fgl/elemnt_bolt_android_app_compatibility/

Weird. I've only ever used my ELEMNT with Android, but have used 3 different handsets with various versions on them over the 2.5 years I've had it.

You could post on the google group, it's kinda an unofficial tech support site between owners, but Wahoo also contribute sometimes.

Mad to think I've had it over 2 years. Really rate it as the Garmin 500 & 810's both struggled to survive for over 12 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
I raised a support ticket with them last night and Ive just got a response with a few things to try.

Im hopeful but I know how these things go.....
I posted on Reddit last night and others have the same device and phone - and had no issues.

Soldato
Hahahaha brutal, that's after him doing a 20 minutes FTP effort too!?

Oh I've fully given up improving fitness for at least a year or two, all my work now is trying to continue hanging onto what I have! Such a hard balance. Well it's not, when I've done some concentrated turbo work/various linked sessions and outside rides my fitness has been great/improving. Then I seem to get ill and knocked right back again. I'm unsure if I'm pushing myself too hard causing a slump in my immune system, or just some rubbish luck. Could be both!

My mate Gary was the FTP guy, Nicol works with me and is about 85kg.

The Rest and be thankful climb was probably like an FTP test for the poor lad then he had to sit on our wheel at 21mph average for about an hour haha. He'll feel the gainz proper fast though.

Smashed the bundy tonight, another PR for the full route and number one across the line. :D

Love the mid week race :rolleyes: so many attacks, folk sitting on then passing on climbs, chasing people down and going past as fast as possible. Number are getting better so people seem to enjoy it too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2480470551/overview

My FnF graph is getting there Roady :p

Untitled.png

Having a kid whilst training won't help with illness, any time I get scooped and have lowered my immune system I pick up something which probably does more psychological damage rather than physical fitness.

Soldato
Easiest way to get a rough time would be to load up Strava. Go into analysis view and then click the clock icon, it will show you how many minutes/seconds into a ride you were at a specific point. Then add that to your start time.

But if you want to get more technical you can open a GPX of the ride and find the exact lat/lon you're looking for and there will be a timestamp with it. E.g:

Code:
      <trkpt lon="0.26188" lat="51.35755">
        <ele>151</ele>
        <time>2018-09-16T04:51:00Z</time>
        <extensions>
          <gpxdata:hr>171</gpxdata:hr>
          <gpxdata:cadence>76</gpxdata:cadence>
          <gpxdata:temp>10</gpxdata:temp>
          <power></power>
        </extensions>
      </trkpt>

Soldato
Easiest way to get a rough time would be to load up Strava. Go into analysis view and then click the clock icon, it will show you how many minutes/seconds into a ride you were at a specific point. Then add that to your start time.

But if you want to get more technical you can open a GPX of the ride and find the exact lat/lon you're looking for and there will be a timestamp with it. E.g:

Code:
      <trkpt lon="0.26188" lat="51.35755">
        <ele>151</ele>
        <time>2018-09-16T04:51:00Z</time>
        <extensions>
          <gpxdata:hr>171</gpxdata:hr>
          <gpxdata:cadence>76</gpxdata:cadence>
          <gpxdata:temp>10</gpxdata:temp>
          <power></power>
        </extensions>
      </trkpt>

Thanks, that was what I was after. Moral PB as doubt they'll change my time over the line.

Soldato
Thanks buddy :) I do appreciate you guys taking time to read my ramblings!
It's not easy getting the training in itself with a young family as you know but when everything is 3+ hours away and essentially all over nighters to race, you can imagine the family drama.... I'm lucky that I am *just* getting away with it. But I do take a hell of a lot of flak for it and would certainly perform better with all the drama and guilt :p

3 boys and he gets to go play in the Alps? The Mrs must actually dislike him and want rid at any opportunity eh? :p :p
You perform better with all the drama and guilt?! Haha ;)

Yeah I think I've found that I can generally 'get away' with a couple of evening Zwift sessions at around an hour each, then the 3-4 hour saturday club ride or 2-3 hour sunday Zwift ride. So 5-7 hours a week I can 'get away' with (i.e. she doesn't moan too much!). A large part of that is finding the time though - my evening Zwift rides are now generally around 9pm as with everything going on we are now eating later and later. If general life stuffs means not eating evening meal until gone 8pm then Zwifting at 9 is really off the cards (get indigestion/stitches!). I've found I can't start a 9:30 as that means finishing too late to chill out/unwind before bed time to get enough sleep for the 6am mini^human alarm. I'm generally not getting enough sleep anyway - regardless of any Zwift riding! I've only tried going to bed a handful of times within half hour of less after a Zwift race and never slept very well. Tons of twitching and sweating, even waking up with cramp. Yet give it 45/60 mins gap I always sleep well.

Ben's a lucky one, he's incredibly naturally powerful on the bike, built like a sprinter, can climb like a goat. Seems to work all the hours under the sun during the week (he works 1-2 hours away commute from home) yet seems to have his weekends all to himself. His other half is a saint (left at home 12+ hours a day & half the weekend with 3 young boys!). He must be on an amazing wage and a king between the sheets! :o

Great, thanks. I've asked on there, not all of my starred live segments trigger and monitor when out riding.
You'll get feedback but not much of it may be useful unless someone else has seen/is seeing the same issue. It seems to be a place where people post up problems, yet only a core group frequent and answer what they can. I'd imagine lost of fustrated people don't get many answers there, unless it's more of a user error/misunderstanding. It's also a little bit hidden away and I believe not mentioned on the Wahoo site.

My mate Gary was the FTP guy, Nicol works with me and is about 85kg.

The Rest and be thankful climb was probably like an FTP test for the poor lad then he had to sit on our wheel at 21mph average for about an hour haha. He'll feel the gainz proper fast though.
Ahhh ok I hadn't realised they where 2 different guys lol.

Your effort and Garys FTP 20mins are very even, really good to compare actually as we know he was at Threshold for an effort like that so we don't need his HR (as we have his power). Then your HR shows you drafted for much of the flat before hitting the climb and holding a fairly steady effort up it. As you're a few KG lighter than him the less estimated power is understandable, although I would say it's too conservative - 280W est vs 335W actual sounds quite a big difference for a couple of KG?! Poor Nicol at +5 or more KG than Gary would be totally ruined haha, he keep with you guys on the climb? Amazing if he did! :D

My FnF graph is getting there Roady :p

Untitled.png

Having a kid whilst training won't help with illness, any time I get scooped and have lowered my immune system I pick up something which probably does more psychological damage rather than physical fitness.
Awesome and good to see it with more actual info now. Although damn, that's some heavy training load/fatigue! Only time I've come near that was when I did 167 miles in 7 days including an effort up The Tumble. Ouch!

I find generally carrying ~50-60 fatigue through the week I can sustain and recover from weekend activites alongside a couple of midweek sessions. Much closer to 100 fatigue I really struggle to recover with keeping up my commuting and it's best to take a rest from some midweek to get fresh enough for another weekend ride. Without it I tend to spiral down - the weekend ride is tougher as I end up chasing all the time, then even harder recovery... Blah blah blah, but lately I've tended to get ill before getting that bad lol. :rolleyes:

got it working. Ended up taking a photo of the QR on my iphone and then scanning that; and even then it took a few mins for it to find it. Strange.
What a faff! Something like the camera on the Pixel struggling to pick up the QR from the ELEMNT screen?! Weird one!

About to attempt the first chariot ride for a couple of weeks. Actually feeling ok, I'd say around 90-95% recovered. Will cough like a heavy smoker for a good ~10 minutes afterwards but will feel ok after that. :o :cool:

Soldato
You perform better with all the drama and guilt?! Haha ;)

Yeah I think I've found that I can generally 'get away' with a couple of evening Zwift sessions at around an hour each, then the 3-4 hour saturday club ride or 2-3 hour sunday Zwift ride. So 5-7 hours a week I can 'get away' with (i.e. she doesn't moan too much!). A large part of that is finding the time though - my evening Zwift rides are now generally around 9pm as with everything going on we are now eating later and later. If general life stuffs means not eating evening meal until gone 8pm then Zwifting at 9 is really off the cards (get indigestion/stitches!). I've found I can't start a 9:30 as that means finishing too late to chill out/unwind before bed time to get enough sleep for the 6am mini^human alarm. I'm generally not getting enough sleep anyway - regardless of any Zwift riding! I've only tried going to bed a handful of times within half hour of less after a Zwift race and never slept very well. Tons of twitching and sweating, even waking up with cramp. Yet give it 45/60 mins gap I always sleep well.

Ben's a lucky one, he's incredibly naturally powerful on the bike, built like a sprinter, can climb like a goat. Seems to work all the hours under the sun during the week (he works 1-2 hours away commute from home) yet seems to have his weekends all to himself. His other half is a saint (left at home 12+ hours a day & half the weekend with 3 young boys!). He must be on an amazing wage and a king between the sheets! :o

Ahhh ok I hadn't realised they where 2 different guys lol.

Your effort and Garys FTP 20mins are very even, really good to compare actually as we know he was at Threshold for an effort like that so we don't need his HR (as we have his power). Then your HR shows you drafted for much of the flat before hitting the climb and holding a fairly steady effort up it. As you're a few KG lighter than him the less estimated power is understandable, although I would say it's too conservative - 280W est vs 335W actual sounds quite a big difference for a couple of KG?! Poor Nicol at +5 or more KG than Gary would be totally ruined haha, he keep with you guys on the climb? Amazing if he did! :D

Awesome and good to see it with more actual info now. Although damn, that's some heavy training load/fatigue! Only time I've come near that was when I did 167 miles in 7 days including an effort up The Tumble. Ouch!

I find generally carrying ~50-60 fatigue through the week I can sustain and recover from weekend activites alongside a couple of midweek sessions. Much closer to 100 fatigue I really struggle to recover with keeping up my commuting and it's best to take a rest from some midweek to get fresh enough for another weekend ride. Without it I tend to spiral down - the weekend ride is tougher as I end up chasing all the time, then even harder recovery... Blah blah blah, but lately I've tended to get ill before getting that bad lol. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure on the drafting part as it was a pretty heavy tailwind but he is 6' 5" so a good unit to sit behind. I don't care too much about FTP as it's basically when you use it not how - subject to being able to 'recover' at 300w maybe?

We sat with Nicol on the first climb and on the second one it was no rules so Gary was 1:07 off me and Nicol was 10:00 bang on. You should get a Scottish trip at some point and we'll show you some lovely roads.

I've not yet worked out how my legs feel vs the graph as I'm just getting my head around what sort of HR relates to a perceived effort.

Did you survive the chariot run, I might turn up to a bunch one night with a trailer on :D

Soldato
I've still not bought a bike yet, but in preparation I at least want to get some pedals. I've only ever used flats on my mountain bikes so I'm really clueless.

Are SPD's the way to go if I want a shoe that I can also walk in?
Are there pedals that can be used as both flats and clipless?

Soldato
I've still not bought a bike yet, but in preparation I at least want to get some pedals. I've only ever used flats on my mountain bikes so I'm really clueless.

Yes SPDs are generally touring/MTB pedals and the shoes have the cleat recessed on the soles so you can walk on them without any problems. Yes you can buy pedals that are flat on one side and clip in on the other, generally they are pretty ugly but they do what you want.

Soldato

I use spds on my road bike, mainly as a hangover from when I was commuting and had to walk a short distance in my bike shoes each day... I don't see much benefit to other types of clip that outweighs the massive advantage of being able to walk normally.

There are pedals that have one flat side and one clip side - I used to have some, but I didn't use them much before switching back to regular spds. It massively depends on your usage but I found I never used my bike for the more recreational rides, and trips to the shops that I thought I would...

Back
Top Bottom