Road Cycling

Soldato
Got tempted by a bargain and snapped up a Propel in June. Barely ridden it actually with the terrible weather we've had, I think the Cube has seen more use still... approaching 40k miles.
Ahhh, think I remember now. Red & Black one?
Can someone recommend some replacement pads for some Shimano RS405 brake please? First time buyer!
Shimano J02A Resin. I love 'em! Get less wear than the J04A but far less noise in wet/dirty conditions and cheaper. Generally getting over 4k miles and for me that's a year or more of commuting all weathers/leisure riding for <£20 pads.

Cool, will check. I was just wondering if there were other brands I should be considering?
Heard the Clark are ok, but no experience with them.
uberbike are well regarded in MTB circles
I used their road 'race compound' pads, bought 3 sets of them and never got over 300-400 miles before they where noisy as sin, even rubbing in dry conditions when they shouldn't. Persevered with 1 set and ran them till worn out, 1345.4 miles. Useless. Worse than rim brakes! Went back to Shimano.

Others have had far better luck with their pads, FrenchTart used to use them (where's he gone, can't tag him on here anymore!?) and I think @SoliD has tried them.

Soldato
A
I used their road 'race compound' pads, bought 3 sets of them and never got over 300-400 miles before they where noisy as sin, even rubbing in dry conditions when they shouldn't. Persevered with 1 set and ran them till worn out, 1345.4 miles. Useless. Worse than rim brakes! Went back to Shimano.

Others have had far better luck with their pads, FrenchTart used to use them (where's he gone, can't tag him on here anymore!?) and I think @SoliD has tried them.

What do you expect you've gone for the high degradation high grip pads? If you want life get the sintered stuff. 1300 miles from a set of pads is just fine when they're not too expensive.

Soldato
Ahhh, think I remember now. Red & Black one?
Nah. "Carbon Smoke and Titanium" (lol)

Don't really have any good photos but here's one. Don't hate the number, it was on the ride back from RideLondon and I hadn't bothered to take it off yet. It was off by that evening!
OfjgSis.png

Soldato
Flirting with Gravel/CX bike as a winter bike (some cracking gravel paths and hills where I live), thoughts:

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-105-se-2019-cyclocross-bike-EV338207

Looks a decdnt bike for the money except for perhaps the lame brakes?

/edit - brakes are at least dual piston, so maybe not completely lame.

Spyres are about as good as cable brakes get unless you go for the absurd Paul's Klamper.

fork would be a sod for mounting a mudguard to though. definitely towards the "cross race" end of the spectrum rather than the gravel/winter end

Soldato
Soldato
Thank you for the feedback - appreciated, especially as I'm a bit green when it comes to CX/Grav.

Tbh I can't even see me bothering with guards at all, or maybe just a rear, I just can't see myself being out in soaking wet/seriously muddy conditions all that much. So yeah, potentially not being able to get a front guard on it isn't a deal breaker.

Quick google does seem to suggest it's a fair bit of bike for the money.

Soldato
What do you expect you've gone for the high degradation high grip pads? If you want life get the sintered stuff. 1300 miles from a set of pads is just fine when they're not too expensive.
I expected increased performance and similar life to the almost as cheap shimano resin pads. Got neither! Found them a waste of time & money, but YMMV. Others liking them just means they're not a good fit for me. :p

Nah. "Carbon Smoke and Titanium" (lol)

Don't really have any good photos but here's one. Don't hate the number, it was on the ride back from RideLondon and I hadn't bothered to take it off yet. It was off by that evening!
OfjgSis.png
Ahh, ace, nope, hadn't spotted that one! Actually love that colour scheme! Maybe me going back to Giant isn't so strange a thing - as Specialized I'm finding too expensive to go top of the range Tarmac/Venge Disc. The colour/design isn't too far off the one Tarmac Expert either. Think the cable routing on the Propel is that horrible one where it enters in the top tube behind the top-cap though? Any integrated bar options from them? I'm so out of touch with Giants current range lol

I was wondering the same, I emailed him a couple of months back and heard nothing. I hope everything's OK. :/
He's still riding, seen a few commutes and social rides from him but nothing big/long/extreme. Don't think he has his running on Strava but he was doing some of that nonsense and kept getting injured.

Soldato
Shimano J02A Resin. I love 'em! Get less wear than the J04A but far less noise in wet/dirty conditions and cheaper.

You have R/RS785 calipers then? Those use a longer pad that's the same as all the recent mountain bike calipers.

The newer road calipers use a shorter pad that can look really similar.

Soldato
Seems very metallic. Is it?
Yep, quite. It had a nice shine to it. I reckon the sun would make it look even better.

Think the cable routing on the Propel is that horrible one where it enters in the top tube behind the top-cap though? Any integrated bar options from them? I'm so out of touch with Giants current range lol
The cable routing is much less horrible if you go Di2 ;) (probably even better with sram etap..)
The newer models (2019 I think) have integrated bar/stems.

Soldato
Right, stupid question time. How do I remove the freehub from my fulcrum wheels. Taken the QR caps out, so one end with a pre load adjuster nut one end and then a 17mm nut the other holding the freehub on that I can't get off. Suspect this is a don't attempt when tired job, but just couldn't get my head round it last night.

Also which pawl spring do I need for these, current one has bent somehow it seems. Think it's one of these
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Campagnolo/FH-RE114-Pawl-Spring-circlip-type/AMR

https://www.evanscycles.com/fulcrum...enter-lock-afs-700c-qr-road-wheelset-EV287064

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom