Road Cycling

Soldato
What he said ^

Bad crash up at the A80 tonight.

Heard the first story being the boy had steamed up windows which I'd say you could still see loads of flashing red lights. The next story is from a guy who had been dropped and was overtaken by two cars at speed, the Merc went to undertake a slower car and drove into the bunch. Either way the boy will be in trouble.

This is looking towards where it happened, pretty straight road. They were just over the slight hill and onto the descent.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.907...4!1sXQEQ2qJhDLY04X6b8jp5pg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.strava.com/activities/2794258922

Soldato
As long as they are qr or bolt through of the same size the disc mounting is irrelevant.

What's the budget, we can usually recommend.

Cheap, don't want to spend much on this bike really. I'll either use them for gravel, or use the current decathlon wheels for gravel and the new ones for road.

I'm actually a bit worried about getting a puncture as the current wheels are notoriously hard to change tyres on. There are literally stories of 2 decathlon staff being unable to change the tyres...

Plus I'm 110kg so something sturdy.

Soldato
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycl...=thgppc&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB

They are pretty solid in terms of the actual wheel build in my experience, the hub bearings could be better going by how often customers wear them out but on my own non disc ones I had no issues as I don't pressure wash the bike.

Mavic Aksium disc are cheaper but I don't feel the wheel build is as strong as the Fulcrum. Saw too many come out out alignment and sit to one side or spokes that seize up all the time. Hubs run smooth for years though!

Soldato
Cold one this morning, actual bit of ground frost and the first signs of morning fog (I ride towards a river on my commute). Changed chain and cassette last night. 5200 miles on the cassette and 1900 miles on the chain. I've gone for a R8000 30t cassette this time (rather than my usual 32t) as it was a bargain price and to smooth out some of the gaps I seem to have found the last 3-4 months commuting. Although that buttery smooth new goodness was ruined by some disc rub from somewhere this morning. Probably just some muck in the caliper as it did eventually clear up. Realised it's a 3+ weeks since I cleaned things and did a Sportive on some mucky back roads a couple of weeks back...!

No mid-week Zwifting for me this week as a bit of autumn/change in season sniffles/coughs going around I'm trying to avoid/shake off before it sets in. Also little one is potty training so some interrupted sleep. He's somehow got the hang of it in less than 3 days?! Just proves he really was ready for it... Just less than 25 months old and has been dry through the night for 6 months or more. So proud of him - but now gotta carry a potty everywhere, including in the back of 'The Chariot'! Yet more luggage! The 2 nursery commutes this week have involved Child+bag containing 3 changes of cloths+potty. He's now 13.8kg so luggage must be near 16kg meaning my tow weight must be nearing 20kg now. No wonder it seems to be fatiguing me when I'm not 100%! :rolleyes:

I get this abuse from my club mates, don't need it on here too! :D
Not many of us post our mistakes on here so it's always good to jest when people do... Providing I can get away with it! It's always intended in good humour from me, never worry about that! :cool:

Helpful as ever Roady - ta! The guards will go on and stay on as it's a commute / hack, so time spent getting a good fit with minimal rattles is well spent.
No worries, it's good to share experiences. As I said, these Spesh guards are good once fitted but take some fettling which I assume will be the same for most fixed guards. I really liked SKS for the cheaper side of things and after a couple of instances of dealing with their fantastic support, if they did a range of metal guards I would certainly be very willing to try them! Great designs, great price, great support. Quality companies like that deserve our business!

I'm converted to mantel. Ordered a couple of bits on Saturday and Monday and they turned up today. Think unless I'm in a major rush I will be going to them in future.
The couple of times I've used them they've been good, have generally been for things I couldn't find elsewhere. I have a feeling they're a supplier to some etailers? When it came to finding the ELEMNT puck for my K-Edge Wahoo pointed them to me as being the 'EU distributor' for theirs and others products. Don't know how true that is/was.

I'm looking for a cheap 2nd set of wheels for my triban rc520. Even though my bike takes 6-bolt, if I buy a set of centre lock wheels with the hubs & rotors will it still fit?!

Is there anything else I need to look out for other than 11-speed compatability?
Axle compatibility & if you require tubeless or not. Width if running low pressures, height if going aero etc etc.

I'm actually a bit worried about getting a puncture as the current wheels are notoriously hard to change tyres on. There are literally stories of 2 decathlon staff being unable to change the tyres...

Plus I'm 110kg so something sturdy.
'Tubeless ready' rims are particularly bad/hard and some rim & tyre combo's are known to be really tricky. Worth researching/googling first before a tyre purchase. My Zipp 30 Course are bad, even without much feedback online. Although the tyres I'm using are not that flexible (Specialized Roubaix Pro 2bliss). For them it's a technique - get the beads both sides in the rim bed. 40% of the time can just about mount by hand, the rest of the time (if rim tape is tight, or tyre not totally in centre all the way around) it takes 2 tyre levers, some swearing or I even got 1 of these tyre mounting tools and it works well. Much easier to use that in the garage, but still use the tyre levers a couple of times just so I know I can do it roadside if required...

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycl...=thgppc&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB

They are pretty solid in terms of the actual wheel build in my experience, the hub bearings could be better going by how often customers wear them out but on my own non disc ones I had no issues as I don't pressure wash the bike.

Mavic Aksium disc are cheaper but I don't feel the wheel build is as strong as the Fulcrum. Saw too many come out out alignment and sit to one side or spokes that seize up all the time. Hubs run smooth for years though!
Good well regarded wheels, good price. Quite a traditional narrow rim (17mm internal) so would use them with 28mm tyres max. Probably better with 25's. Good road wheels for frames with tight clearances and riders not wanting wide/comfortable/tubeless/low pressure riding. Have been really happy with the cheap Campagnolo (Kamsin's rim brake) wheels I bought several years ago, but as Jonny says the bearings/protection can be a bit rubbish. Mine are on their 3rd set in 4 years. The other half has them on her commuter. Still bombproof wheels for the money, I'd happily buy Campag/Fulcrum wheels again. The Zonda's where an amazing wheel and loads of people had them, they do a disc version of most of them now but heard very little about them recently, most disc riders going for the fulcrum branded ones.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could. It folds relatively flat so would sit on 1 side of a jersey pocket sticking out the top very similar to a pump. It isn't heavy as it's made of some kinda textured hard plastic.

I originally got it for some Schwalbe Marathon's with a wire bead, they where incredibly tight and I broke 2-3 cheap levers trying to fit them. Even with the tool I had to use a couple of the Park TL's to mount them, so if your tyre is that tricky still take some levers with you.

Tool is very much like a third hand, so using it on the middle of the bead I was struggling to mount, I was able to roll bead either side of it with my thumbs over the rim. :cool:

Doing it with with levers without the tool (what I'd do roadside) requires 2 levers under the tyre against the rim, then rotating them both up together mounting a large section of the tyre together. Things are too tight to do 1 then the other and using just 1 lever it's so tight it pulls the tyre out further along the other side of where you're mounting... For me getting both beads of my tyre in the centre of my rim is the most important, I've even mounted it once by hand this way but it hurts less to use one of the other methods. Tubeless just seems extra tight but these are the only tubeless rims and tyres I've used so might just be my combo.

Soldato
I've got the same tool and wouldn't want to take it around with me, but it isn't impossible. Use it for my very tight Challenge tyres on the CX bike and to help with tubeless. It managed to get one tyre on a rim that I then couldn't get off and had to cut it so it is pretty good.

In other news this weather can do one, I'm getting so annoyed by it raining every single day now! Especially after such a dry winter last year. Really need to sort out my Pinnacle tonight and get those mudguards sorted.

Soldato
It has gotten a bit cooler... and wetter... but I have the week off so wanted to find some new routes. On Tuesday I had my first 40+ mile ride in which Strava took me a little off road... not ideal on my road bike with GP5000's... and then today Strava took me alongside a canal, with the sun shinning it was a great ride.

mzug2rIh.jpg

mC4wbUXh.jpg

eChEJPBh.jpg

It made me realise how much more enjoyable rides are on roads and paths you've not ridden before. :)

Soldato
Heard the first story being the boy had steamed up windows which I'd say you could still see loads of flashing red lights. The next story is from a guy who had been dropped and was overtaken by two cars at speed, the Merc went to undertake a slower car and drove into the bunch. Either way the boy will be in trouble.
Glad to not see too much more about this... In the hope that all where generally ok. Sending happy thoughts their way!

Weather's crap here too. It's usually really nice at this time of year but it's supposed to raining until the day I go to the UK for a week...
Pretty much it, although we've had some massive downpours the last week or so, they've been quite short and nowhere near as bad as the forecasts have shown. I've only got soaked once and slightly wet one other time so far... Just lots of standing water. Although the heavens just opened here just in time for the evening commute...

Anyone need a SiS stockup?

https://www.scienceinsport.com/shop-sis/all-products/bundles/sis-spring-training-bundle

£30 (till midnight) for 24 gels, 500g Electrolyte tub, 500g Rego tub and a bottle.
Good deal, shame the SiS gels don't agree with me. Had some of the energy powder on the sportive I did and it was good so may go that route again.

I have previously used Sis hydro tabs and preferred the High5 or Powerbar ones, the sis leaving me with aftertastes and on one occasion stomach cramps similar to the gels. Although I ended up with a tube of the Sis 'Immune' tabs and have used them a couple of times without any adverse effects.

It made me realise how much more enjoyable rides are on roads and paths you've not ridden before. :)
Great rides! Exploring is great, especially when you have clear skies and find things like that. One of the local guys found this local long straight lane with old cider apple trees along one side. I've never seen it and must have ridden past it hundreds of times! :o

EDIT: Kwait's Batman bike.

Soldato
Survived the A80 tonight.

Went with 2 boys who attacked on the climb on the 3rd lap. Got stopped at lights and the group came together again.

On the 4th lap one of them attacked over another drag. His clubmate let the gap open to about 100m and eased off, it was down to just the three of us again. I sat up on the hoods and left it.

Then came the full on my out of saddle sprint up to his pal, with me tucked in on his wheel.

Stayed there for the rest of the lap and explained I'd done 50 miles earlier and couldn't help. Apparently if I can hang on I can take a turn(and then get attacked I bet).

I then offered a turn away from the last set of lights so took it up to 30-32mph for as long as my legs would last. They weren't amused :D

We also didn't get hit by a car :p:D:eek:

Soldato
I then offered a turn away from the last set of lights so took it up to 30-32mph for as long as my legs would last. They weren't amused :D

We also didn't get hit by a car :p:D:eek:
Haha, nice effort towards home from a standing start though!

Hear much about the carnage or what actually happened?

@Jonny ///M found out where all your elevation comes from. Secret Tea Room stops. Must be some kinda 300ft high stairs there or something (switch analysis to Time and you'll see the ramp). Garmin elevation h4x! :D ;)

Had a weird commute home last night, taking it fairly easy as I'd felt flat most the week but seemed to suddenly have good legs from somewhere?! Couple of not massive kicks saw ~800W and I ramped up one flat part before a little drag without feeling like I was that deep. Wasn't planning on doing much this weekend due to the mixed weather and not feeling 100%, but now things are meant to be dry and I'm actually feeling ok I may try and get out somewhere (rather than the usual Sunday morning Zwift session).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom