Road Cycling

Soldato
I think it’s best if the wheel is totally rebuilt now.

I had shop A build the wheel and after a year the tension in the spokes was v low and a little noisy.

Shop B backed them all off and started again and the wheel felt to have higher tension.

Now the spoke has broken at the hub end on the drive side.

Do I have shop B rebuild from scratch with all new spokes (assuming they were fatigued when they altered the spoke tension and then have just broken, rather than they increased tension higher than really required which has led to them breaking) or do I try my luck and go for shop C?
I assume this is a winter wheel so probably 24+ spoke. So you're looking at £50+ worth of spokes and at least probably another £100+ to rebuild it. As it's a winter wheel you've already spent money on having rebuilt and retensioned how much have you spent on it already and how much is it really worth as a wheel? Spending another £150+ on an old/winter wheel at a guess you've spent at least £100 on already sounds like more money after bad. Especially rim brake, consider how worn the rim is already it might be worth just to junk it and buy completely new.

Great, thanks.

Something like this?
Yes, but not that one unless you long term remove a lot of valve cores. Buy 5 of these, carry one with you and scatter the others around as you can never find them when you desperately need one...

I own 3 of them and couldn't easily find one when I needed one. Just ordered another 3.

Soldato
I assume this is a winter wheel so probably 24+ spoke. So you're looking at £50+ worth of spokes and at least probably another £100+ to rebuild it. As it's a winter wheel you've already spent money on having rebuilt and retensioned how much have you spent on it already and how much is it really worth as a wheel? Spending another £150+ on an old/winter wheel at a guess you've spent at least £100 on already sounds like more money after bad. Especially rim brake, consider how worn the rim is already it might be worth just to junk it and buy completely new.

£50 of spokes in a 24 spoke winter wheel? decent round DB spokes should be around 50-75p a spoke as part of a wheel build

Soldato
Pernickety ;)

So it's spending a little less - yet it's still another £100+ on an old/winter wheel he's probably spent £100 on already. Doesn't really change things.

Soldato
Depends how good the hub is, if its a hope, dura ace or a king then it'll be worth it. We're £20 a build + spokes about £1 each.

My thighs are tight today after a long cold one yesterday.

Felt cold after 20 miles and terrible at 40 just after a 10 minute climb so got Scott to sit on the front for 6 miles haha.

Stopped for a bottle top up and jelly babies before the mennock pass, that took us 30+ minutes to climb.

Sat him in the front for the next mostly downhill 10 miles with a tailwind again.

Come 65 mile mark I felt not bad and he was saying a gel was making him feel sick.

We were supposed to be adding on a few climbs but with the way we felt and conditions getting worse we headed straight for home. Add in the fact I was doing just eat at 5pm...

I was looking to avoid the ride having worked my actual job all week, just eat for 3 hours on Friday night and 3 hours on Saturday then 3 hours after the run:o

olv

olv

Soldato
DyWx1sd.jpg

That's what a Kryptonite lock looks like when it has been snipped through. Anyone know what the hell you use to chop through a D lock? Presumably some powered bolt cutters?

Both my trust Felt F6 and wife's Eastway Emitter nicked this weekend :(

Soldato
Pernickety ;)

So it's spending a little less - yet it's still another £100+ on an old/winter wheel he's probably spent £100 on already. Doesn't really change things.

White Industries T11 hub so £££.

I want to ride the same wheels all year hence getting hand built. If I wear the rims out then so be it.

Going to go at lunch to shop C who are highly recommended wheel builders and get it sorted once and for all.

What are DT comp or Saipim CX spokes £1 each ish? It’s a 28H.

Soldato
DyWx1sd.jpg

That's what a Kryptonite lock looks like when it has been snipped through. Anyone know what the hell you use to chop through a D lock? Presumably some powered bolt cutters?

That looks more like an angle grinder than snipped.

Don't watch the lock picking lawyer on YouTube if you want to lock anything up.

Soldato
We're £20 a build + spokes about £1 each.
That sounds really really cheap!

Even with the right tools I wouldn't expect a (re)build to really take less than an hour?! Certainly not the half hour that price seems to hint at?

DyWx1sd.jpg

Argh! Gutted for you! Where where they locked up? At home or public rack? :eek::(:mad::(

Totally agree with Jonny, that's been cut by something mechanical, really straight and uniform like that would expect an angle grinder.

White Industries T11 hub so £££.

I want to ride the same wheels all year hence getting hand built. If I wear the rims out then so be it.

Going to go at lunch to shop C who are highly recommended wheel builders and get it sorted once and for all.

What are DT comp or Saipim CX spokes £1 each ish? It’s a 28H.
Fair enough with components like that it's worth it, but you're right to go to a recommended wheelbuilder rather than a general shop. At least that way the tension should be right for the wheel, rather than just 'built'.

locks are for stopping amateurs and chancers. Insurance is for dealing with pros
Yup, the pry bar is no more, so many other portable and handeld ways to cut things these days than using brute force.

olv

olv

Soldato
Argh! Gutted for you! Where where they locked up? At home or public rack? :eek::(:mad::(

Totally agree with Jonny, that's been cut by something mechanical, really straight and uniform like that would expect an angle grinder.

Locked up at home in my building's cycle stores. Not the first time and won't be the last.

Are there any locks I can get to reasonable deter? Fortunately the home insurance are contributing so won't be too bad. And now it's time to go bike shopping.

Soldato
That sounds really really cheap!

Even with the right tools I wouldn't expect a (re)build to really take less than an hour?! Certainly not the half hour that price seems to hint at?

Fair enough with components like that it's worth it, but you're right to go to a recommended wheelbuilder rather than a general shop. At least that way the tension should be right for the wheel, rather than just 'built'.

Yup, the pry bar is no more, so many other portable and handeld ways to cut things these days than using brute force.

I don't do it I pass it to the boss man who does it or a better mechanic who can rattle it out pretty quick. :D

Having sat in a wheel building shop it's impressive how quick they can cut spokes to length and get a wheel built.

Soldato
Locked up at home in my building's cycle stores. Not the first time and won't be the last.

Are there any locks I can get to reasonable deter? Fortunately the home insurance are contributing so won't be too bad. And now it's time to go bike shopping.

there is no real defence against an angle grinder. If they cant go through the lock they'll go through the frame and sell off your components.

Man of Honour

Not really against an angle grinder, sadly.

The ones I have are the Kryptonite M18 d-lock and another Kryptonite chain lock (recommended by the Lockpicking Lawyer)... but I just hope the noise from those being cut brings somebody running... :(

Soldato

I bet that's sold as "secure cycle store" to prospective tenants / buyers. I was trying to tell a non-cycling mate who is purchasing in London that there is no chance his apartment's shared access secure cycle store is secure enough for expensive bicycles unless the building management company are going to pay out in the event bicycles are stolen.

olv

olv

Soldato
I bet that's sold as "secure cycle store" to prospective tenants / buyers. I was trying to tell a non-cycling mate who is purchasing in London that there is no chance his apartment's shared access secure cycle store is secure enough for expensive bicycles unless the building management company are going to pay out in the event bicycles are stolen.

It is sold as secure, and initially the magnetic locks on the doors were inadequate and could be overpowered with a firm kick. There haven't been any incidents in 18 months since the doors were beefed up so I suspect whoever got in had a fob to gain access. So nothing is secure if you have the key! Bike theft is pretty much the most petty, least personal crime going. It's just one of those things and fortunately insurance are covering it.

Just waiting on the settlement but they look to try and supply bikes through https://www.wheelies.co.uk/ so may not have free choice of what replaces them.

Soldato
Soldato
I don't do it I pass it to the boss man who does it or a better mechanic who can rattle it out pretty quick. :D

Having sat in a wheel building shop it's impressive how quick they can cut spokes to length and get a wheel built.
Yeah but would a shop cutting spokes, only charge 50p/£1 per spoke and build the wheel up in less than half an hour, I doubt it. Not without making a decent amount out of the build cost and charging £100 or something for half hours work lol. I'd expect someone turning wheels around in half an hour would be using boxed spokes pre-cut and threaded at least, so therefore they'd likely cost more than 50p/£1 each.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way my brain worked it out ;):D:p

It is sold as secure, and initially the magnetic locks on the doors were inadequate and could be overpowered with a firm kick. There haven't been any incidents in 18 months since the doors were beefed up so I suspect whoever got in had a fob to gain access. So nothing is secure if you have the key! Bike theft is pretty much the most petty, least personal crime going. It's just one of those things and fortunately insurance are covering it.

Just waiting on the settlement but they look to try and supply bikes through https://www.wheelies.co.uk/ so may not have free choice of what replaces them.
Yeah if lots of people have fob access, or the actual access is not that secure not too much you can do about it. Except maybe request CCTV be installed or something? Even then you'll find someone will 'accidentally' knock the camera out the way a few days prior and nobody will notice/care...

Think you can dispute Wheelies choice/pricing but only if you can confirm what you had is a better/different spec and can prove it with receipts etc. When I got knocked off the insurer I was dealing with (drivers) had a website for me to choose a replacement from (might even have been Wheelies) but as they didn't have the same brand I disputed it wasn't an accurate like for like, also saying I'd upgraded components myself (I had). They where quite happy to cover the price I said as I had receipt for the bike and upgrades and other sites had the same brand/model at the price I had a reciepts for, most of which where a higher price!

But that was an RTC not theft so unsure if insurers would handle it differently. My other half works in Motor insurance and said it was due to 'price bands' that the insurers generally have setup to deal with those sort of things. It was probably a £1k limit for the first price band and everything I was asking for was well within that so they didn't quibble it as not worth their time to do so (no personal injury claim etc). They would just do what they could to get the claim resolved for the least amount of work/time without going over that price band/limit they had set. Until it was done they had an 'open fault' against their policy.

there is no real defence against an angle grinder. If they cant go through the lock they'll go through the frame and sell off your components.
But that could be enough of a deterrant? A thief is generally grabbing a bike they can flog working for cash/cash converter as quick as possible. Not that many are stripping bikes down to sell the components. Certainly not the thieves you are looking to deter with bike locks anyway.

It's like a theft which happened near here, they smashed windows of a shop, took all the display bikes and those from the workshop which where together. Those in parts (my mates) where left. Then they also used spanners from the shop to undo a bike rack outside the shop and took that with at least 1 bike locked to it. Took the rack rather than cutting the locks.

Maybe more than 1 lock could be enough of a deterrant - at least enough that they take someone elses bike instead. You do hear of that about street theft - they're looking for the quickest/cleanest grab, not generally the most expensive bike. When the most expensive looking bike is the quickest/easiest grab then it's a no brainer...

perhaps 5 minutes against your average scumbag though at that point they may need extra batteries and cutting discs.
That could (should!) be enough. Throw another lock on there and you've a thief who'll certainly be thinking twice... "Hmm, two locks, one of which my angle grinder might not get through, I need 2 batteries and 2 cutting discs at least"

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe more than 1 lock could be enough of a deterrant - at least enough that they take someone elses bike instead. You do hear of that about street theft - they're looking for the quickest/cleanest grab, not generally the most expensive bike. When the most expensive looking bike is the quickest/easiest grab then it's a no brainer...

oh yeah, parking near better bikes is always a good method. There's at least two shinier and more impressive looking than mine in the work bike sheds... an impression i may work on cultivating

Soldato
Yeah, that's a great tactic. I also use it as an excuse why my bike is never clean on the club run when we have a cafe stop. "thieves only take clean bikes"! :D:p;)

But then again also where my choice of a bright eye catching colour doesn't really help to avoid drawing attention... Need some kinda special paint, 'commute' paint - bright & reflective colour to catch the eye of motorists, but can make it look dirty and fade into the background when stationary...! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom