Road Cycling

Soldato
Speaking of which... I had this happen to be at the end of a 3 hour ride yesterday...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iJC3Bqt5KuQNgUPN7
Lucky for me I got Garmin to send out a few caps and internals for spares during my warranty period, 3 hours in Zwift today without issue again.

Annoyingly, I've been through quite a few caps.
iJC3Bqt5KuQNgUPN7

I think I will need to get some new caps. I notice one of mine the yellow rubber seal is bust and fell apart when I removed it.
I'll try new caps but I honestly don't know what to do with these. I want them gone but I don't have the money to buy a new PM and I will get nothing for these things because nobody wants Vector 3's for obvious reasons. It's a ridiculous situation that nobody should be finding themselves in with a "premium product".

Too cold to ride outside today! Didn’t defrost in the shade all day and was super slippy.

Combined with the low winter sun I gave it a miss and just did a zwift session. Still had the arm warmers and leg warmers on in the shed haha

My first ride outdoors after 6 week break. We got -4. Was a cracking day!
There were a few "moments" of course. We don't have many roads that are main roads. Most of the riding is done on untreated surfaces so you can imagine :)

Soldato
I can't fit Crud RoadRacer Mk3's on my new winter hack.
I'm running 25mm tyres. Only needs 3mm clearance but I cannot fit these as just not enough room between the brake caliper and the tyre.
I have 2 pairs of those guards BNIB as well and no use :(

What are you guys running? From my brief hunt thus far I see the SKS raceblades might do the trick as they don't have anything physically between the caliper and tyre. So those should work but just wondering if anything else I should look at based on others experience/opinion?

Other option is 23mm tyres. Or, new bike :p

Soldato
I think I will need to get some new caps. I notice one of mine the yellow rubber seal is bust and fell apart when I removed it.
I'll try new caps but I honestly don't know what to do with these. I want them gone but I don't have the money to buy a new PM and I will get nothing for these things because nobody wants Vector 3's for obvious reasons. It's a ridiculous situation that nobody should be finding themselves in with a "premium product".

Have a look around internally, over the course of the almost 2 years of owning them mine have broken the H shaped contact spring twice and a couple of caps have been damage.

The caps come in a service pack so you can replace the internal battery contact board at the same time.

Soldato

Have a look around internally, over the course of the almost 2 years of owning them mine have broken the H shaped contact spring twice and a couple of caps have been damage.

The caps come in a service pack so you can replace the internal battery contact board at the same time.

£26 on Garmin site..... For ONE cap.
They've got a bloody hard neck!

Soldato
I can't fit Crud RoadRacer Mk3's on my new winter hack.
I'm running 25mm tyres. Only needs 3mm clearance but I cannot fit these as just not enough room between the brake caliper and the tyre.
I have 2 pairs of those guards BNIB as well and no use :(

What are you guys running? From my brief hunt thus far I see the SKS raceblades might do the trick as they don't have anything physically between the caliper and tyre. So those should work but just wondering if anything else I should look at based on others experience/opinion?

Other option is 23mm tyres. Or, new bike :p

Race blade longs may fit as they only need to fit a thing metal part under the caliper. Worst case scenario I've saw this part being fitted to route over the caliper kinda like PDW guards do.

We've bought in a few guards the other week but I've not tried them as yet.

https://www.vanillabikes.com/produc...MIoNKH3diW5gIVyrTtCh0KOQ-OEAkYASABEgJ8PPD_BwE

They do fit really quick but I'm not sold on my arse not getting wet with the gap they leave.

Soldato
£26 on Garmin site..... For ONE cap.
They've got a bloody hard neck!
Yea, I'd call support and chance it. They did send me out a few so I've never needed to pay for them.
Ridiculous price for something that's flawed to start with...

Just remembered...
Around June 2018 Garmin sent out an email to all owners "Important Information about your Vector 3 pedals" it contained a code for free caps. If you have the email...

Last edited:
Soldato
Race blade longs may fit as they only need to fit a thing metal part under the caliper. Worst case scenario I've saw this part being fitted to route over the caliper kinda like PDW guards do.

https://www.vanillabikes.com/produc...MIoNKH3diW5gIVyrTtCh0KOQ-OEAkYASABEgJ8PPD_BwE

They do fit really quick but I'm not sold on my arse not getting wet with the gap they leave.

I've just ordered SKS Raceblade XL's. Should be fine. Seen a pic of them on my bike on google images so know they should fit. The longs are just risky business so I'll take less coverage and be done with it!

Seen those Quickguard ones but I am not paying £60+ for 2 bits of plastic. Need draw a line somewhere and £30 odd per mudgaurd is absolutely ridiculous money for what they are!

Soldato
Yea, I'd call support and chance it. They did send me out a few so I've never needed to pay for them.
Ridiculous price for something that's flawed to start with...

Just remembered...
Around June 2018 Garmin sent out an email to all owners "Important Information about your Vector 3 pedals" it contained a code for free caps. If you have the email...

I'm in unlucky boat of having bought these second hand.
They were brand new in box like.
I've obviously bought them off someone who has had brand new replacement pedals for dodgy ones who had also had enough and was moving on to something else rather than even attempting to use these pedals I have been landed with.

Soldato
I'm in unlucky boat of having bought these second hand.
They were brand new in box like.
I've obviously bought them off someone who has had brand new replacement pedals for dodgy ones who had also had enough and was moving on to something else rather than even attempting to use these pedals I have been landed with.

Ah, yea I had my vector replaced in the beginning... For me they just need a bit of maintaining every month, just to make sure they don't give any issues. Contact wear residue builds up on them causing the battery connection to mess up, keeping on top of that helps quite a bit but when I forget or get lazy... Frustration if I'm out on a ride, lol

Soldato
I've just ordered SKS Raceblade XL's. Should be fine. Seen a pic of them on my bike on google images so know they should fit. The longs are just risky business so I'll take less coverage and be done with it!

Seen those Quickguard ones but I am not paying £60+ for 2 bits of plastic. Need draw a line somewhere and £30 odd per mudgaurd is absolutely ridiculous money for what they are!

Aye the XLs will definitely fit but probably not quite as secure as the longs.

The bolt thru version of the quickguard are even more expensive! :eek:

I've not fitted mudguards to my winter wagon as yet, don't really plan on riding it much as I'll be doing the JustEat deliveries.

Soldato
I'm looking at a bike on gumtree for our 4year old.

The description states "some scratches from a towbar" and this is the pic...

TpK2G8s.png

Those look a bit deep to me ("gouges" perhaps, more than "scratches") - what do the experts think? Do you think any strength has been lost there?
As Jonny noted, not that deep and headtubes are generally quite robust. Especially on a kids bike. It's not like that area is subjected to many stresses and such anyway. It's not like a chainstay.

The kink on the brake cable makes me think you'll want to replace that, although the rest of the cable looks clean & tidy. No real rust but a bit of discolouration on the noodle. Still, have seen and used far worse. Some scratches from mudguards, worth checking it comes with them if you want them as they do tend to be model specific on smaller bikes? Looks to be in tidy/good condition anyway, tyre has loads of wear, rubber on noodle/brake isn't perishing. Very little dirt/rust/discolouration so at a guess has mostly been ridden in dry weather and kept inside/garaged.

Best small/medium sized tyre levers.... GO!

Couldn’t get my tyre back on the rim without using a metal mtb lever. That’s no good at the roadside.
The standard plastic Park Tools TL or whatever they are. Amazing levers, I still have my originals I bought after breaking a load of cheap levers on wire bead schwalbe marathons. They survived that years ago and have done a number of tubeless mounts & unmounts now too. Actually bought another 2 sets when they where on deal for £3 a set last black friday (or was it the one before), so the £2 on Sigma for them is a great deal. They're so robust one of my 'spare' sets is still in it's original packet. Buy them, you'll never want/need another lever again.

I'm very tempted to buy some touch-up paint and go for it.
Nail varnish.

So on the Vector 3 front yet again...
Cleaned and brand new batteries in them last night ready for 2.5 hours this morning.
Half way through the ride, cadence drops, power drops, Complained the battery level was "low" and then completely lost connection to left pedal.... I've honestly had beyond enough of these ******* things. Just switched off the sensor on my head unit. Life is too short for this ****.
Go crankarm if you can. Just far less to go wrong! Just how often do you need to switch your power meter around between bikes. For me that answer was 0, for others just having the consideration/awareness. That's also kinda why I went crankarm, rather than spider, as it's quite easy/quick to switch between bikes if I go that way in future, providing it's Shimano (also why I went Shimano cranks when swapping to make it even easier). It's almost as easy to swap a shimano crankarm on a bike as it is pedals, if I want to take it on holiday etc...

It's a ridiculous situation that nobody should be finding themselves in with a "premium product".
Utterly. Especially from a company like Garmin, but equally, there's very few of their products without huge design flaws, massive production fubars, buggy software/firmware etc etc. They're a joke, but without much previous competition they got away with it. They deserve to lose out of many of the markets they're the pescribed 'leader' in.

SKS every day. I've extensive experience with Raceblade Longs (formerly 'Longboards' and sometimes branded as XLongblades. WTF.). Really recommend them! Fitting is great for tight spaces. Mine where so tight on my Defy that when I rode over cut grass it jammed it up and I had to stop and remove it ~400ft into the start of a Sportive.

Clearance was that close that I had to run Mitchelin 25mm's as Continential 25mm's where marginally bigger so caused rubbing... Could also be worth noting if you're that marginal on room.

You get some noise from them, but from all the ones I tried they where one of the cheapest, best firt/coverage, most solid and dependable. SKS are amazing support too and will send you spares, quite often for free.

Not seen that one before. But seen several similar, some even made of carbon for an ultralight temporary guard. It's an interesting design as it's mounted on the axle you should be able to adjust the position think you could even get it against the caliper to protect your arse more (rather than how that one is fitted to protect buddy behind).

don't really plan on riding it much as I'll be doing the JustEat deliveries.
How are you finding that? You're paid per delivery right? I'm considering maybe trying it over the xmas period. Actually considering taking the Chariot & loading it up. Imagine if I could do Dominoes and fill it with Pizzas... Probably get 15 pizza boxes in there! :D :o

11 speed 5800 chains on amazon for 6.49, yes not the best spec, but a bargain i think, i have stocked up
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017SOKT7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: all gone now
Average chain. But good spot as that's an amazing price & hope you abused it! :D

Soldato
My company have just uplifted the cycletowork scheme value from 1k to 3k.
Been browsing this morning and the Giant TCR Advance pro 1 disc (di2) seems to fit my requirements.

Do I need it? No
Do I want it? yes

Soldato
@SoliD Did you get a mention on GCN show there?

@Roady Yeah it's per delivery mate. It's not a fast process to get started with JustEat, they use some mob in the US for a background check then I had to wait ages on the bag coming. You should get in touch with some drug dealers in London and just courier around a few bricks of coke to make the real money. Police won't pull over a lovely cyclist towing his child??

The way East Kilbride is most restaurants are located near the middle of the town and I have to ride out to the edge and travel back empty compared to going to Glasgow west end with a chippy from the city and then take a chinese from the west into the city again.

I don't like doing the Franky and Bennys, Chiquito or Bella Italia as I have to chain the bike up and go inside a shopping mall. We have two KFC with a third just been built, two Subways, a Burger King, the above restaurants and then a Burger Station located not from the town centre.

Burger king seem to pay the best for some reason with 2 miles being about £4-£6 and going up to around £8.55 for 4 miles.

I worked from about 5:40pm to 8:20pm on Monday and managed 6 deliveries and got £31.45 + £4 tips and did 20 miles which was ideal. Some nights I've managed 28 miles in 3 hours.

The week before that they had a promotion for £1 extra per delivery which helps but I'd say it sits about £10-12ph then I transfer the tax into a separate account.

I know a guy who does Deliveroo in Glasgow and he did two 4 hour shifts and an 8 hour shift on a Saturday got about £250 so about £15ph.

Associate
Been browsing this morning and the Giant TCR Advance pro 1 disc (di2) seems to fit my requirements.

Do I need it? No
Do I want it? yes

I've got the TCR Advanced Pro 0 (non disc or Di2) with Dura-Ace and its mega. I on the other hand am not mega!

Buy it!

Soldato
Headset bearings always end up confusing me... Vitus are telling me I need this one: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-40-series-is52-40-bottom-assembly/rp-prod115643

It's out of stock though. I tried fitting a TH-073 bearing I've got (for my Cube) but I suspect the internal angle (that meets the fork steerer's integrated crown race) is different as there was play even with headset tightened up a lot. TH-073 is 36 degree internal but I suspect the Vitus fork requires 45 degree (which I think is more standard?). Anyone able to identify a bearing from a different brand that is the same?

Soldato

Do I need it? No
Do I want it? yes
Nice price! Where from? Just something to watch out for when looking at Giants. I'd steer away from the Discs in Giants range which use Giant 'conduct' hydraulic brakes where the reservoir is housed in the stem. It's quite a tidy design, being cable actuated means you can 'save' by having cheaper shifters but the LBS guys where moaning about that when I was there a couple of weeks ago about how 'crappy' it made the whole system. I was talking about disc di2 giant's and the Propel with them, they'd said to stick with Shimano levers which where only at the top end of the range. The Advance Pro I think uses the full Shimano system, at least the 2019 on their website does which is what you've probably found elsewhere? The standard Advanced (non-pro) 1 uses conduct (shame as that colour combination is awesome - check for the hydraulic houses on the outside of the stem as the quickest/easiest way to identify, or the giant branded calipers in the specs).

@SoliD Did you get a mention on GCN show there?
?? What's he done now! ;)

@Roady Yeah it's per delivery mate. It's not a fast process to get started with JustEat, they use some mob in the US for a background check then I had to wait ages on the bag coming. You should get in touch with some drug dealers in London and just courier around a few bricks of coke to make the real money. Police won't pull over a lovely cyclist towing his child??
HAha that's what I was thinking. Cost per kilo it's obviously the best return, but equally we think the journeys with class A's would typically be longer, probably be late at night in dodgy areas with probably bad road surfaces and lesser used roads. Less hold ups, but probably slower overall progress due to pot holes, punctures and being shot at. Sticking to food deliveries would be more central along the better road infrastructure, shorter and generally city centre/housing estate based probably without also needing to be armed/carrying body armour.

I don't like doing the Franky and Bennys, Chiquito or Bella Italia as I have to chain the bike up and go inside a shopping mall. We have two KFC with a third just been built, two Subways, a Burger King, the above restaurants and then a Burger Station located not from the town centre.

Burger king seem to pay the best for some reason with 2 miles being about £4-£6 and going up to around £8.55 for 4 miles.
I hadn't considered the back-load principle, interesting... Although don't think there's enough population density here for that. Nor a wide distribution of many fast food places outside of 2 main central city 'hot spots' (old town & new town). Equally, we have a large amount of food places and not that many 'fast food' so think the JustEat way would be the best. Although seem to be seeing many more Deliveroo riders these days. That's what got me thinking - they do seem quite slow considering how 'loaded' up with the chariot what speeds I can maintain (I easily passed a Deliveroo guy last week when towing). He'd only got 1 backpack. I had 2, a ~14kg child and a potty (empty). :D

So Burger King rather than Dominoes. That's good, I can get more burgers in the chariot than pizzas! ;)

Soldato
Headset bearings always end up confusing me... Vitus are telling me I need this one: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane-creek-40-series-is52-40-bottom-assembly/rp-prod115643

It's out of stock though. I tried fitting a TH-073 bearing I've got (for my Cube) but I suspect the internal angle (that meets the fork steerer's integrated crown race) is different as there was play even with headset tightened up a lot. TH-073 is 36 degree internal but I suspect the Vitus fork requires 45 degree (which I think is more standard?). Anyone able to identify a bearing from a different brand that is the same?
https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

Can't remember who linked me that one when I was looking last, but thanks! Although from the IS numbers I then had I still struggled to find the right bearings as not many are sold quoting them...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom