Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone happen to be aware of the major differences between RS-405 and RS-505 Shimano hydraulic brakes? (besides the fact they are Tiagra vs 105 level)

Caporegime
Soldato
Finished up with 5794 miles for the year, getting through festive500 for the third year in a row! Mileage was down on last few years! Will be aiming to have a much better January than last year and get more time in my legs ready for TT season! Mainly through extending out my commute in the evening to take in an extra hour or two and mountain biking more during the week.

Soldato
Happy New Year all! :D

iUHfFQz.jpg

About a mile out, daughter loses it and throws up at the roadside...
"dad, slow down"
"don't be silly, we're only doing 14 mph"
"dad, I don't feel well"
"pain is only weakness leaving the body"
*vomit*
"oh, and that"
;)
Actually the bib tights might patch repair, there's just two small holes.
Pronty patches are good, literally cut & stick on. Not pretty and don't stretch like lycra but they'll hold the fabric and 'repair' the edges so it doesn't get any worse.

*Fat. I got fat.
Ha! Weighed myself YE at 75.5kg so well happy with that as most of Christmas has been cheese, crackers, chocolate and alcohol! :D

Bought Maxeh the Belgian climbs as one of his birthday presents, would have been rude not to get the Majorca print :cool: A couple remaining to tick off when I'm next back there :)
1OEsVkpl.jpg
That's pretty cool. I'll have to admire from here as wouldn't be allowed anything like that. There's a few pics of my driving supercars but nothing cycling. Really need to sort (read: decorate) half of the garage I'm using for turbo & cycling workshop and then I could maybe put some stuff up. Hmmm, now there's an idea! It's become a man cave anyways... Have grand plans to semi extend the rear with an overhang so I could turbo under it & clean bikes when it's raining out.

I need to get out for 5 miles tomorrow to hit 5000. It’s been a pretty crap year for me, though. Most of that is commuting. Need to make more of an effort to get out at the weekends for some real riding. Hopefully we’ll get a decent summer next year, it was utter balls this year.
Good work, same mileage as me really as I ticked over 5k but a huge part of mine was Zwift this winter & autumn due to weather and the little one.

Anyone happen to be aware of the major differences between RS-405 and RS-505 Shimano hydraulic brakes? (besides the fact they are Tiagra vs 105 level)
Not sure, I think one of them is alloy and the other steel/alu? I don't think either are dual piston, only the top MTB ones are, unless the DA ones are too? My 565's are only single piston.

My first CVR league race on Zwift later. Real league series with points and even prizes!

Last edited:
Soldato
Fairly happy with my efforts this year. I never really set a target but in 2016 I hit 8k and I thought the logical next step would be 10k but only as a nice to have. Summer was really quite low mileage relatively due to work, travels and injury. In November I realised I was 1.5k miles off 10k so I stepped up my game and reached 10k just before the Festive 500 kicked off. The weather last month didn't make that easy!

aIf7AJO.png

Soldato
Back to work! Boo! Not quite sure why but the little one decided we didn't need much sleep past 1am last night... Blaming the wind making noise causing him to wake as he's been very good over the winter break! The last week we've had a few 11 hour long sleeps, will be superb if he does that as 'normal'! :D

First CVR league race on Zwift last night. They've wrongly put me in D so I finished 8th last night. Don't think that enters me into any prizes just yet but if I can keep that up over this first season I could be in with a chance! Would've been top 20 in C and was riding with clubmates in C as it's mass start (44 riders in D & 60 in C). :D

Not a big year for me, less than half the distance that I'd done each of the previous 3 years. A couple of very big rides spaced out with not much else :eek:
DpbUmWP.png
Dat 'max ride elevation' though! :o

The running max stats are also the totals. That should effectively convey my opinion of running :p
Made me chuckle as I'd originally thought 'I don't remember having to untick that on mine' ;) :D

Impressive numbers mate, some solid riding there, one of the biggest here?

Did everyone keep Everest on their veloviewer? I changed mine to Ben Nevis as I shared the infographic on social media and thought more would relate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dat 'max ride elevation' though! :o

I shouldn't have bothered doing the whole route, could have stopped at halfway and still had the same elevation :(
https://www.strava.com/activities/1065695658

edit: no, i'm mistaken. Thought the max distance and max elevation were from the same ride but it's not. Max elevation was an off-road ride with several high passes to climb over.

Soldato
Yeh back to work for me too, bugger cycling in with this wind!! Rest day too after yesterday's ride!

Might have a crack at a race on Zwift later, not too sure how I'll get on with a TSB score of -44 at the moment!!

I chickened out of riding this morning, with tired legs from last nights race I didn't go to bed until 11ish (struggle to sleep a couple of hours after a big effort) and then the little one waking soon after 1 and not really sleeping much until the 6:15 alarm... #fragile :o

The amount of riding you've done on your Atom the last week is incredible, hardly surprising you've accumulated that much TSB lol :D

You'll do fine, loads of races last night had a low number of riders as so many racing in the CVR league (over 600 registered in the E group starting at 7:05pm). I imagine there will be lots of tired legs today!

Last edited:
Soldato
Last year I completely lost my focus on cycling and the year very much petered out. I did significantly less miles than the year before and have subsequently ended up about 8 kgs heavier than a month ago! Given all the new year resolutions (aka the road to hell is paved with good intentions!), I am thinking of perhaps giving the Randonneur Round the Year thing a go this year, one 200 km audax per calendar month. My main problem(s) are that I don't really know the first thing about audaxing and my current level of fitness is very poor. I'd more than likely be knackered by the club ride on the weekend!

However, I'm determined to give this a go (at the moment!), starting with the club ride on the weekend and the first audax being the 200 km Newport one. It looks like the best (only) audax to limp around to chalk off January. Did about 3 or 4 hundred milers last year, not many I know, and I've never done 200 km, but its basically a hundred miler and a bit more isn't it! Blind optimism will get me round!

Soldato
I might finally be able to remind my legs and heart what cycling is like later (more likely indoors on the turbo given the wind gusts), after an enforced break since last Thursday, due to a mystery stomach bug that riddled me from Friday to yesterday (still need another 24 hours to be sure I'm bug free but all good so far).

Think I might activate a 7-day free trial on Zwift at the weekend, given I'm on annual leave after Saturday's shift, if the runs are definitely over!

Pretty happy with my first year of fitness cycling stats, including commutes (that are often extended on way home) since February. I'm not so bothered about miles, but I intend to smash that elevation total this year.

xjJrZp5-FgMdVaMNVvh3UAMcyYD4_-1-X21K7vkDg6LVBE9L5LUr2ZOAeJbWGjw6SBdLrtbvxYG7r92ujKngAuyaSLCVD1A7-osl392c5RsEIMcZIcYCZ9UVWrCtel5DQ-kAZimUbA

Soldato
However, I'm determined to give this a go (at the moment!), starting with the club ride on the weekend and the first audax being the 200 km Newport one. It looks like the best (only) audax to limp around to chalk off January. Did about 3 or 4 hundred milers last year, not many I know, and I've never done 200 km, but its basically a hundred miler and a bit more isn't it! Blind optimism will get me round!

have a look at "permanent" audaxes, they're routes that can be ridden at any time to suit you. Just submit evidence of completion when done.

Soldato
Last year I completely lost my focus on cycling and the year very much petered out. I did significantly less miles than the year before and have subsequently ended up about 8 kgs heavier than a month ago! Given all the new year resolutions (aka the road to hell is paved with good intentions!), I am thinking of perhaps giving the Randonneur Round the Year thing a go this year, one 200 km audax per calendar month. My main problem(s) are that I don't really know the first thing about audaxing and my current level of fitness is very poor. I'd more than likely be knackered by the club ride on the weekend!

They're probably quite a good thing to get into for you at this stage then. Many of the 'Sportives' these days feel overpriced and nothing more than an unofficial race or a glorified club ride. I tend to try and use them as a social occasion which is why I've not hunted down any of the really popular/expensive ones. That may change this year as I'm looking to do some faster/larger club rides and possibly the Velothon.

Audaxs are much more of a traditional thing - set routes and distances with time & speed not really seen as too important. More of a man & machine vs landscape & weather challenge. There's lots of them around which until you start looking you may not have been aware of some really local to you! :)

Pretty happy with my first year of fitness cycling stats, including commutes (that are often extended on way home) since February. I'm not so bothered about miles, but I intend to smash that elevation total this year.

xjJrZp5-FgMdVaMNVvh3UAMcyYD4_-1-X21K7vkDg6LVBE9L5LUr2ZOAeJbWGjw6SBdLrtbvxYG7r92ujKngAuyaSLCVD1A7-osl392c5RsEIMcZIcYCZ9UVWrCtel5DQ-kAZimUbA
Some good numbers and impressive progress you've made Steve! Kudos! :)

Back
Top Bottom