Road Cycling

Soldato
Ok i need a little help. I bought a 2018 Genisis Zero as a winter/comuter bike i know its not the ideal bike for this but the frame shape closely matched my summer bike (SuperSix Evo) .

Anyways.. i need a set of clip on mudguards that will fit. I have tried the SKS Raceblade Pro's the rear fits but there is just not enough clearance on the front fork for it to fit...

Soldato
Ok ordered the SkS longs. I have a feeling they may foul at the same point or they may just work. The wiggle own brand clip on's may also be worth a try.

Soldato
Yeah, I think what you have said is what has happened. Hopefully the 105 brakes (which I will complete the set next month) should be sturdier and better performing. I am still gonna take the brake into the LBS to see if I could purchase on ok spring from them that they may have lying around. They are a Giant dealer so may just have an Tektro brake not doing anything.
Yeah, fingers crossed for you! Another thing to note is that the 105 calipers I bought came with shoes and pads (with the pads being fantastic). Just offsets the high cost slightly...

Ok i need a little help. I bought a 2018 Genisis Zero as a winter/comuter bike i know its not the ideal bike for this but the frame shape closely matched my summer bike (SuperSix Evo) .

Anyways.. i need a set of clip on mudguards that will fit. I have tried the SKS Raceblade Pro's the rear fits but there is just not enough clearance on the front fork for it to fit...
I didn't think the Raceblade Pro had a fitting under the front fork, they only mount to the fork arms?

The Raceblade Longs I had lots of luck on my Giant Defy and my other halfs Liv Avail where the fork clearances where really tight, but the metal bracket would fit through with a couple of mm to spare. I'd gone through two genuine sets of Giant 'guards' (fenders) designed and listed as compatible which all experienced rubbing and clattering. The Longs where not perfect but they where by far the best.

If you struggle with them, investigate different tyres. I found clearance with Continental 25mm's (4Seasons & GP4000sii's) better than Mitchelin Pro 4 Endurance 25mm's. Another 'final' option I would say is contact Genesis and see what they recommend, they do mudguards for various other bikes in their range so I'd trust their judgement more than I'd have trusted Giant's in my previous situation (expensive own branded guards with worse fit than 3rd party cheaper guards).

Seriously can't recommend SKS enough, fantastic quality, good price and fantastic support. They'll always be my first choice/recommendation! :cool:

Soldato
Sorry the clearance issues was between the front wheel and the down tube.. No matter what i tried i couldn't get the sks raceblade pros to fit.
Its a new bike that came with budget wheels and conti 25mm tyres these will be changed before its ridden but i suspect any replacements will be equally as bulbous.

Soldato
I've got a fair amount of clearance on my Cannondale with raceblade longs + 25s, they really are the best for bikes with no eyelets.

I'd hope there was more adjustment to the stays on the longs. Good luck!

I'm back looking at a new bike again!

Felt FR4 is out of stock and may come back in the next few months - best price but crap wheels and I don't like how it runs with the Praxis chainset.
Ridley Helium X - Last years clearance model, 6800 ultegra + racing 5s and a decent frame. Most expensive of them all.
Orbea Orca M20 Team - R8000 Ultegra, Mavic Ksyriums and even comes with a decent tyre. - In the middle price wise.

May just stick the Orbea on order and it will give me a month or two to pay off some things. Don't know if I would do the MyO thing to change the colours outwith the usual options.

Soldato
Pretty much comparable wheels, so choice really comes down to 6800 or 8000 groupset & weight. Isnt' the Helium X Ridleys more affordable lightweight climbing frame over the flagship HLX? Or is that the HL?

With the M20 frameset listed at ~1050g and the Helium X complete bike listed as 7.5kg there really might not be much between them weight wise (worth checking!), so groupset may be the decider...

Sorry the clearance issues was between the front wheel and the down tube.. No matter what i tried i couldn't get the sks raceblade pros to fit.
Its a new bike that came with budget wheels and conti 25mm tyres these will be changed before its ridden but i suspect any replacements will be equally as bulbous.
Ahhh, ok understandable. Might be best to ask Genesis directly.

You can of course shorten the stays on the various SKS guards by cutting them down but it's really trial and error (without much margin for error if you cut them too short!) :o

Soldato
Pretty much comparable wheels, so choice really comes down to 6800 or 8000 groupset & weight. Isnt' the Helium X Ridleys more affordable lightweight climbing frame over the flagship HLX? Or is that the HL?

With the M20 frameset listed at ~1050g and the Helium X complete bike listed as 7.5kg there really might not be much between them weight wise (worth checking!), so groupset may be the decider...

Ahhh, ok understandable. Might be best to ask Genesis directly.

You can of course shorten the stays on the various SKS guards by cutting them down but it's really trial and error (without much margin for error if you cut them too short!) :o

The X is the cheaper frame over the SLX, 900g vs 750g fork is the same as far as I know.

The M20 you linked is the same mold as my old Orca so is a little heavy, the M20 Team is the newer frame based on the OMR frame which is around 850g so like for like I'd say.

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/orca-omr-18

The geometry is also more like it with the 55 having a 56cm top tube unlike my old one which sat higher at the front, all of them are within a mm or two of 390/570 reach/stack.

Soldato
As you say the Felt is the best price but componentry is questionable, has external cable routing too. What don't you like about the Praxis? I like the Praxis crankset on my Diverge but equally it is quite heavy (my main comparison was the junk FSA Gossamer on my old Giant).

What wheels are on the Felt? The Mavic's on the Orbea are obviously pretty bad too (sweeping generalisations about junk bearings in Mavic wheels which is why I've never owned any!), so the fulcrums are probably better...? But obviously wheels at that level are really down to self experience and others recommendations.

There's not a huge difference between 6800 and 8000 but will you enjoy riding the 'latest' groupset more than feeling like you're using an 'old' one? :D

Soldato
MMH Sportive postponed so I've been looking around for something to occupy myself - found a Sportive Sunday 18th March only 75km's so I've got myself into that, then hey presto MMH re-arranged date is confirmed on my email as 15th April so I've gone from having nothing to having two Sportives in 4 weeks. :cool:

Keen to see if I've made any progress over the winter. Also applied for my race licence - hoping to see that through next week, Friday night track league racing (fixed wheel) starts end of April. <GULP> :eek:

Soldato
Wow big^ahappenings! Let me know if they announce more spot for the MMH as I've always said I should do it! :)

I missed to get a spot on 1 local sportive as I didn't pull my finger out and commit in time. Not really sure what others I'll do as the guys I generally ride with are always last minute! :rolleyes:

Maybe Velothon... Hmm!

Soldato
I'll probably do 4 all in this year, one this month, one next, Black Country August, maybe MSH Sept, then I'll be racing probably almost every Friday too from end of April to end of August.

Someone needs to tell my legs :p

Gotta get organised Roady when you have a family - it's all about sticking your flag in the ground - get stuff booked up in advance then there doesn't need to be any last minute grovelling with the Mrs. :)

Soldato
Haha yeah, last year with her pregnant for much of it I didn't plan or commit to anything as it was 'safer'. My mileage was good, fitness at an all time high, yet I only did a handful of long/hard rides.

Really need to sort that this year, as like you say - planning & committing is key! :D

Velothon is quite a tricky one, I'm only a few hours away so could get a lift to the start but you have to 'register' and go pick up your rider pack the day before, But that's then 3 round trips (of ~100 miles each) in 2 days. It'd be cheaper to get a B&B 20 miles away from Cardiff really. I've left it too late to get any closer without a small fortune lol!

EDIT: Bianchi now do an Oltre XR3 Disc! *drool* :D

Soldato
Thanks, although they do say transfers to another rider are not possible so it's a 'first come, first served' through subscribing to their newsletter as lets face it, there probably won't be any places left to go on 'general sale'!

Subscribed anyway, will see if my diary will 'allow me to go' before the 26th March ;)

Soldato
As you say the Felt is the best price but componentry is questionable, has external cable routing too. What don't you like about the Praxis? I like the Praxis crankset on my Diverge but equally it is quite heavy (my main comparison was the junk FSA Gossamer on my old Giant).

What wheels are on the Felt? The Mavic's on the Orbea are obviously pretty bad too (sweeping generalisations about junk bearings in Mavic wheels which is why I've never owned any!), so the fulcrums are probably better...? But obviously wheels at that level are really down to self experience and others recommendations.

There's not a huge difference between 6800 and 8000 but will you enjoy riding the 'latest' groupset more than feeling like you're using an 'old' one? :D

Felt wheels are just own brand things that aren't great at all

Mavic bearings I've never really had to change many over the years of working with them, spokes/nippes seizing together or onto the rim is the problem with them!

Fulcrum are pretty decent, bigger bearings than Mavic but don't seem to last as well. Freehub body bearings can be rough quickly if you don't look after them.

The chainline on the Felt means a 56 I've set up rubs on the outer chainring as much as 4 or more cogs up the block, would be much better with an Ultegra!

Overall groupset isn't a big deal as it's the legs that matter at the end of the day, I think I'm leaning towards the Orbea as it should come up light and I've saw the frame in the carbon albeit a MyO one with a different colour scheme.

Crap pic but it's my size so I'll throw a leg over it once it's built and see how it fits.

Back
Top Bottom