Road Cycling

Caporegime
Is anyone doing bike month? We're doing a competition at work with the Love to Ride app (imagine Strava after a 2 day bender) but other parts of Google suggest it was last month :p.

So all the departments in our hospital are pitting against each other, and our Trust against other organisations. Love a bit competition, especially as I cycle myself most of the time. Aim is to do 1,000km for June :cool:.

Soldato
Sorted it out once we got back as best as I could, but the shifting on the front end still seems a little sticky. Due to the time we had to call it a night. We didnt even get chance to look at mine.

I want to ride this weekend and don't have the time to replace the inner cable (which I suspect is the suspect, which looks like it was cut short with bad cutters and is now frayed at the mech end) It also needs some index/setup which i would usually attempt myself but as my bike stand is at my brothers who is currently away, i'm not doing it without one its a pain I can live without this week!

Luckily through some stroke of luck LBS had 1 slot for tomorrow so thats where it went for my own sanity.
Hope the LBS sorted you all out - also good if you mentioned to them it was a new bike for you and to give it a good once over?!

'Sticky shifting' is usually old cables, or outers rusting up/gunked up. Usually a bit of a quirt with GT85 on cable entry/exit points can be a quick fix, but always better to replace if they're looking tired. A good job to understand and do yourself to be familiar with!

Several options without a bike stand. I've hooked mine on a gate to index before now, or strapped the BB onto a sawbench, or hooked some rope over rafters, or screwed some mounting hooks into the roof. My garage has a bunch of hooks around - I've got one above the turbo setup so I can just unhook the bike and hang it out the way when doing any trainer maintenance. Works well!

Managed to bump into the back of a car tonight…
Doh! Really glad to hear it was so minor and well done for being as prepared as possible (and as calm!). Not only do we have to 'expect the unexpected' we also have to 'expect the stupid' :rolleyes:

I find it inexcusable that we need to share the roads with people like this who do not give a single **** for anyone but their own entitled self.
Exactly, that sums it up completely and you're more of a man than he'll ever be for sucking it up and thinking about his kids - he's obviously not!

Do you think this tyre will be fairly quiet on a turbo trainer?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-h...FWKJ-K5KkkfD1Sh29lRoCgVQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or would this be better:
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/WT...aS6krEHf7dMoCigIZcRoCUK8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought a cheap bike from Halfords last April (£220) and have managed 2000 km so far. I have a wheel on turbo trainer and have loved using zwift over winter with a training tyre. My original tyres are knobbled MTB type 650b wheels. I’m now riding outdoors with my kid on a bike seat so really need a tyre that I can use outdoors and on the trainer. I’m on a freewheel hub so swapping wheels..etc is difficult. I eventually want to get a dedicated road bike, but prices at the moment are a bit crazy so ideally like to wait until next year. Any suggestions of anything else I can try?

Many thanks!
As mentioned, the knobblies on either will shred quite quickly. But looking at the sizing they are for totally different size wheels - one a 700c and the other a 27.5", be sure what size you need and what you're buying!

Cheaper and smoother the better for turbo use (if unable to use a dedicated tyre). Maybe a more road orientated tyre would work better - generally smoother so wear better/less, capable of higher pressures to reduce the surface area further reducing wear. But of course quite a trade off in grip when you're riding outside and not on smooth tarmac...

Not sure on the groupset but that is one fugly bike
Agreed! Although really laughable the write up about the poor place which ended up having to produce and supply that such short notice to a world leader as a 'gift'. What an utter joke! :rolleyes:

BoJo's face in that article really sums it up lol

Just quick question in regards to people's chain lubes of choice?

What's everyones go to?
Finish Line Green in the winter, I keep trying others and end up circling back to it. Currently working my way through Muc Off Wet lube I ended up with 2 tubes of and don't like it as much. Seems a little cleaner than the Finish line, but goes more gloopy and I even ended up with some in the winter which I think semi-froze when on the chain and turned semi solid. Like the next level of road gravy mixed with mud and was a pain to remove. I've never had that from Finish Line so will be returning it to it afterwards.

For summer I've used the yellow Muc off stuff the last couple. Don't think it's quite the 'dry' one here as doesn't look the same? Maybe an early version of it, I recall mine mentions C3 ceramic?

I tried the Finish Line Red, but it was like water and didn't last more than a week before feeling rough. A hint of rain within 100 miles and I'd have to reapply. It was useless and far too light, almost felt like I'd got a tube of carrier and no actual lube...!

I wouldn't touch any "wet" lubes and I wouldn't bother with any of the Muc Off lubes what so ever. Purely from my experience, total ****.
I've ridden with wet lube through the summers numerous times before but guess I like something with a bit of staying power being a commuter, as lets face it, the summers are rarely a totally dry affair in the UK!

A dry lube that gives me 2% better chain efficiency and an additional 4W of power that I need to reapply every couple of days for 99% of the 'summer' is not a benefit. I'll take the power loss for a wet lube I only need to clean & reapply every 6-8 weeks (instead of every 4-6 weeks in the winter) :p

Soldato
I tend to use Rock n Roll red all year round. Very thin/watery but seems to get 'inside' the chain easily as part of that. Doesn't gunk up at all.

I’d proceed with caution.

My understanding and the waxing theory is you want to put something thicker (wax) inside the chain which can’t easily be displaced by water/grit and then cause chain wear.

Soldato
Hmm interesting, i might look into that as my next lube then, ive read lots of people complain about black gunk build up but assume they are not cleaning/Degreasing well enough before applying the first batch of squirt?

Easy for me to say they doing it wrong but they may be riding in soaking wet minging conditions. But even then I wouldn't expect massive gunk buildup on a Squirt chain if applied correctly.... maybe they are not allowing the chain to dry properly on first application of the stuff. I put it on the chain sat on a length of wood and I leave it drying for 24 hours at least.... maybe they are doing first application and then just riding straight away and everything in the world is sticking to the wax?

When you think the chain needs a bit more on after some time it is simple little change. Wipe the chain down and put a bit more on the night before so it dries overnight ready for training next day. I'd never put the stuff on immediately before riding the bike and don't understand why anyone would do that and not realise it is daft? :p

The gunk/black buildup on my chains using Squirt is minimal. Like the FL red teflon stuff is my go to drip on dry lube and that keeps the chain relatively clean enough to be tolerated, but Squirt is head and shoulders above that.
Certainly in dryish conditions with occasional wet roads and spray the chain stays silver with Squirt forever, I have not seen black gunk buildup on a chain that has not been degreased even for 6 weeks..... whereas with the FL green wet stuff for example I feel I need to clean it after every ride as it gets so bad instantly.

@Roady performance gains are way down on my list regards chains to be honest. I just like a clean drive train. Looks good, feels good. And I finish a lot of training at her parents and take wheels off to put bike in the car. Or take the bike on and off the trainer.... so just really appreciate being able to touch the chain and put it on the cassette without getting filthy hands. So cleanliness (AKA OCD) is my main thing, if it is 1/2/3% better performance from the chain then it's a happy welcomed side effect.

Soldato
Easy for me to say they doing it wrong but they may be riding in soaking wet minging conditions. But even then I wouldn't expect massive gunk buildup on a Squirt chain if applied correctly.... maybe they are not allowing the chain to dry properly on first application of the stuff. I put it on the chain sat on a length of wood and I leave it drying for 24 hours at least.... maybe they are doing first application and then just riding straight away and everything in the world is sticking to the wax?

When you think the chain needs a bit more on after some time it is simple little change. Wipe the chain down and put a bit more on the night before so it dries overnight ready for training next day. I'd never put the stuff on immediately before riding the bike and don't understand why anyone would do that and not realise it is daft? :p

The gunk/black buildup on my chains using Squirt is minimal. Like the FL red teflon stuff is my go to drip on dry lube and that keeps the chain relatively clean enough to be tolerated, but Squirt is head and shoulders above that.
Certainly in dryish conditions with occasional wet roads and spray the chain stays silver with Squirt forever, I have not seen black gunk buildup on a chain that has not been degreased even for 6 weeks..... whereas with the FL green wet stuff for example I feel I need to clean it after every ride as it gets so bad instantly.

@Roady performance gains are way down on my list regards chains to be honest. I just like a clean drive train. Looks good, feels good. And I finish a lot of training at her parents and take wheels off to put bike in the car. Or take the bike on and off the trainer.... so just really appreciate being able to touch the chain and put it on the cassette without getting filthy hands. So cleanliness (AKA OCD) is my main thing, if it is 1/2/3% better performance from the chain then it's a happy welcomed side effect.

Hmm i might give it a go then once my current lube runs out.

I would imagine your explanation about application right before a ride is probably right in regards to the build up of gunk. Letting it cure/dry per say, is probably sensible considering its a wax based lubricant.

I do find that with my current dry lube the black comes back almost instantly. Even if I've given it a really good clean and dry via my chain cleaner+degreaser process.

Caporegime
Hmm, we have a special week coming up that I'm committing to, but there are only 4 serious cyclists and another 4 to 6 'now and thens' and then anyone else we can talk into it... but I'm suggesting our target is 1,000 miles in a week! Is the 1,000km 'per person'? :)
Of our 50-60 taking part across the whole hospital, looks to be 5-10 more serious cyclists, including my team colleague who actually helped me get into cycling. 1,000 miles a week - Christ on a bike, that's murderous :p! My 1,000km is completely arbitrary, I figure it's a nice target for me to achieve in one month (usually do 400-500km) and at current projections - might be enough to win.

Last edited:
Soldato
:p:p:p - the door is that way! I wouldn't even have heard about it if it weren't for our extremely keen cyclist in our office. Shame - we have 5,000 staff but only 51 have signed up :o.
Ha!

I wouldn't say I'm an 'extremely keen cyclist' as I'm long past that stage of 'excitement'! So what exactly is it? Just a month where people log their mileage and try to do a bit more, all in the name of charity?

Wasn't there a day last month that was 'international bike day'?

The App/Website you linked before just seemed some typical Strava ripoff charity/wellbeing spam/clickbait type thing to market and sell stuff to people who joined? Get enough advertising on Strava already without another app to do the same... ;)

I know the margins of performance should really be quite low when just doing general training and social/commuting type riding, but was just trying to explain for me how the hassle of reapplying a dry lube when caught in a brief shower, or we happen to have a bit of dampness on the road drove me mad. Maybe it was the FL Red I was using, but I found it USELESS. I can recall getting squeaky drivechain with it after a week or so without even any 'weather' to cause it.

Probably need to get myself some squirt for the summer and try it, but lets be honest, I'm actually 3 weeks 'overdue' taking my mudguards off and the weather is about to turn again. British summer is over already!

Soldato
Lol, this is where it gets good. May and June are usually the build up to the dry and warm days until September and hopefully October. Was out last night getting soaked in shorts and short sleeve Jersey. Was glorious as at no point did j get cold.

Caporegime
Ha!

I wouldn't say I'm an 'extremely keen cyclist' as I'm long past that stage of 'excitement'! So what exactly is it? Just a month where people log their mileage and try to do a bit more, all in the name of charity?

Wasn't there a day last month that was 'international bike day'?

The App/Website you linked before just seemed some typical Strava ripoff charity/wellbeing spam/clickbait type thing to market and sell stuff to people who joined? Get enough advertising on Strava already without another app to do the same... ;)
Yeah absolutely, it's coming off my phone once I am done with this month. The mere fact you have to click on a link in the app that takes you to a browser in order to do most things, says it all. Just read there is a 'Grand Rider Prize' for a chance to win a £2,500 Cannondale bike* - so maybe a new bike if I am lucky (and win) and bragging rights as the consolation prize :p.

*do Cannondale make good gravel bikes?

Edit - yeah it's a prize draw so I could cycle 1 mile this whole both and still have the same chance to win that bike :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Know a few on here have the Gore Shakedry jacket, after losing my Rapha Core Packable I could do with a replacement. I have an old Castelli one, but it's pretty hopeless now and I've always hated the zip. Any other recommendatons? They all look ridiculously expensive for something I'll use relatively sparingly!

Soldato
Second OxAZ on Tuesday hit me for six for ~24 hours, but relieved to feel up to 90mins on the turbo before dinner last night, rather than having to wait 1.5 weeks back in April. But just like in April, z2 pace felt more like z4, at least I managed to tick off the easiest Zwift route I had left to complete (Lutscher).

Now just need the weather to improve, I'm on annual leave until 28th, it's been tipping down since Wednesday evening and there doesn't look to be many dry spells forecast at mo in Southampton or South Downs. Doesn't sound like the rules are going to relax in Wales enough for me to go and stay with mum and sister in Prestatyn next week and have a go at the ~7 mile Road To Hell climb out of Denbigh on the B4501 to Llyn Brenig, not that prep has gone well, having upset my left knee a bit after swapping saddles and not taking account of extra padding stack ~2 weeks ago.

Soldato
Know a few on here have the Gore Shakedry jacket, after losing my Rapha Core Packable I could do with a replacement. I have an old Castelli one, but it's pretty hopeless now and I've always hated the zip. Any other recommendatons? They all look ridiculously expensive for something I'll use relatively sparingly!

My Gore Shakedry continues to impress me. Yes, it is expensive, even when I got mine at around £150 after extra Black Friday discount from Blacks in 2018. I should add I think some cycling gear is hideously expensive / overpriced - there's far too many jerseys at £130, £150 or more and the pricing of some bib shorts makes me go :eek:

I probably have had more use out of my Shakedry than I expected as it's so breathable, so I'll use it as windproof for dry and cool days. I've got a Pactimo Ultra Lite rain jacket which is (having just checked) listed at 117g. It's not fully waterproof as the seams aren't taped. My ShakeDry is quoted at 116g and fully waterproof but, unscientifically, probably as breathable. I can't think the last time I picked up the Pactimo in the garage to shove in a jersey pocket.

Another good thing is there is no DWR coating to look after. We don't have a tumble dryer, so for outdoor waterproofs that need some heat to reactivate a DWR after washing are a pain to look after. I wash my Shakedry in Nixwax Tech Wash and let it dry - dead easy.

Bikesy is a good place to keep an eye on deals: https://bikesy.co.uk/s/shakedry/

Associate
I can't believe, it doesn't seem like summer started yet but already days are getting shorter again soon I believe... :( I feel like we've been cheated this year :(
I was waiting for summer to swap out my worn out chainring and chain on my fixie. Now I'm wondering if I've missed the2 weeks of summer. I think it's a job I'm going to have to do anyway though as the teeth on the chainring are completely worn and it drops the chain half the time when I get out the saddle

Back
Top Bottom