Road Cycling

Soldato
Sounds like a great plan. I've just remembered i was planning on cycling around Surrey next month when i'm down for the day. However i was also intending on having built up my cycling endurance so i was happy on a long ride. I've still not really progressed past 20 milers and i then wake up the next day with achey elbows so not sure pushing myself for longer distances makes sense.

Might just see how i get on with little else to do.

Soldato
Wow it's got quiet in here...! How are we all? Stormy weekend here so got my hours in on Zwift.

One of the ladies 3R teams did an online version of the RedBull Time Laps, seems like there was some fierce online competition!? I'd heard of people doing it before, think @Lethal` may even have done it at a circuit previously?

But hadn't heard of people doing it online. They where doing a 1 hour relay, as a 4 rider team. The rider joining various group rides on Zwift to keep the speed up - their target as being over 40kmph, then whatever 3R riders where around jumped in the same ride to help them. It was good fun, but also pretty brutal at times and after nearly 3 hours of it I was pretty toasted - I can't imagine how they'd been doing it for 25 hours! :o The times we where not in a big group ride the effort required (even on flat courses) by a small group of 3-6 riders was pretty intense! Pretty much my FTP & over. Luckily towards the end when there were no group rides that suited, it was nearing mid-day and we got some powerful 3R guys on to tow the last bits around Fugit. I had to keep leaving the ride and rejoining - to get the group teleport up the road to them. Getting dropped from the small blob even a couple of seconds with a sticky draft from a random rider required 5w/kg+ to close back up! :eek::cry:

Soldato
It's getting a bit cold for me now. Only wore my gilet once and already think that's enough for me! Probably doesn't help I still only have a summer jersey on underneath with arm warmers..

What do people wear for when the weather really drops in the winter? I've already got some gloves (only cheap ones) and some merino glove liners so I think my hands should be OK. Leg warmers so I expect my legs wont be too bad either, I hope. Planning on getting some overshoes for when it gets really cold and maybe some Bib tights to go over my bib shorts as my legs don't get half as cold as my torso does.

Got my eye on a Assos Mille GT Winter jacket but at £220 I'm wondering if I could go cheap and get something almost as good? Or is it really a case of you get what you pay for with winter gear? I have a few non cycling Nike base layers but will probably get a thermal base layer for when it gets low. Quite like the look of the base layers that have the built in neck warmer too

Soldato
It's getting a bit cold for me now. Only wore my gilet once and already think that's enough for me! Probably doesn't help I still only have a summer jersey on underneath with arm warmers..

What do people wear for when the weather really drops in the winter? I've already got some gloves (only cheap ones) and some merino glove liners so I think my hands should be OK. Leg warmers so I expect my legs wont be too bad either, I hope. Planning on getting some overshoes for when it gets really cold and maybe some Bib tights to go over my bib shorts as my legs don't get half as cold as my torso does.

Got my eye on a Assos Mille GT Winter jacket but at £220 I'm wondering if I could go cheap and get something almost as good? Or is it really a case of you get what you pay for with winter gear? I have a few non cycling Nike base layers but will probably get a thermal base layer for when it gets low. Quite like the look of the base layers that have the built in neck warmer too

I've got an Endura Pro SL HC jacket which I think is excellent for winter. £71 on sale from Tredz - wait for the usual pop-up £5 voucher code to make it a few quid cheaper. Perhaps not as waterproof as the Assos but I've been out in drizzle in mine on shorter rides without getting water logged. If it's properly raining then I go thinner underneath with a Shakedry waterproof on top.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Pro-SL-HC-Windproof-Jacket_216594.htm

Review: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/jackets/endura-pro-sl-hc-windproof-jacket

Soldato
My go to winter jackets are castell perfettos. Showerproof and if they do get soaked you stay warmish. Backed up with base layer of various thickness. Definitely get what you pay for with winter gear!

The rapha base layers with the neck thing are great, definitely my best bit of winter kit!

Soldato
One of the ladies 3R teams did an online version of the RedBull Time Laps, seems like there was some fierce online competition!? I'd heard of people doing it before, think @Lethal` may even have done it at a circuit previously?
Yep. I did the inaugural event. It was pretty tough going but overall somewhat fun :D I'd recommend Revolve24 at Brands Hatch more though, did that following year and enjoyed it.

A mate wrote up our experiences: https://www.notinthepeloton.com/nitp-redbulltimelaps
And video from my cameras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFSWT1GdGfA

Soldato
Planning on getting some overshoes for when it gets really cold

My dhb overshoes have pretty much fallen to bits after just two winters. What overshoes do people recommend?

I've already got some gloves (only cheap ones) and some merino glove liners so I think my hands should be OK

My fingers and toes are the parts I worry about most. I did quite a bit of testing with gloves and found the flipper/penguin hands type to be best if you're going out in freezing conditions. (Two fingers in each... erm.... flipper)

Soldato
I've been debating for days and wondering what is the better thing to do out of these two

5HO1aZj.png

The Rapha Jacket and Base layer is the same price as the Assos Winter jacket but the Assos jacket is really well reviewed.

Any of you with any experience with both items?

Soldato
Think I may just go with the Assos jacket and maybe get the Rapha base layer for my birthday next month. Reading lots of the customer reviews that the jacket doesn't have the best durability

God why is this all so confusing!

Soldato
I'm not the biggest fan of the rapha jackets I've got/had either not breathable enough or windproof enough, I much prefer the Castelli offerings. Would love an assos one but that's mega money. Maybe worth waiting for black Friday?

Soldato
I was thinking of waiting and seeing if they had any deals on. I can't imagine they will but I should just in case. I'm being a bit impatient because I have a few days booked off this month and would've liked to have gone on some early morning cycles if any of those days are dry. I do have a Castelli Perfetto RoS gilet that I probably will be OK with for the rest of the month if I man up a bit but definitely will want something from December onwards

Associate
@Junglist I got the Mille GT ultraz jacket last year in black. It’s really nice but very warm, I also picked up the normal winter jacket this year for £112 at wiggle, again in black. Both jackets are really well made, wish I had brighter colours but I got both at a good price. I run with lights all the time so colour of jacket should make much difference.

Soldato
@Junglist I got the Mille GT ultraz jacket last year in black. It’s really nice but very warm, I also picked up the normal winter jacket this year for £112 at wiggle, again in black. Both jackets are really well made, wish I had brighter colours but I got both at a good price. I run with lights all the time so colour of jacket should make much difference.
I did think the Ultraz would be a bit overkill and luckily at 290 it's beyond what I want to pay!

£112 though! That's bonkers! I need to really scout the internet to see if I can get it down from the £230 on their website

I kind of like it in the black but my bike is black as it is so I figured a colour would be more sensible! I do have good front and rear lights though

Associate
I think the price was a fluke, got it in august from wiggle. From time to time there are some deals, but all to infrequent. Don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the jacket in lollipop :). I did try a castelli ros2 light, thing that I don’t like about castelli is the bottom of the zip on the inside has a bare sharp plastic backing which I thought would rub on tights (may be nothing but for the price it should be covered.) I do like Assos but wish there designs/colour ways would improve.

Soldato
That's a long way to say "I'm old" :p
Yup, agreed! :cry::p

Hnnngg after hours of searching yesterday, I've come to the conclusion Exposure lights are best for road usage, particularly with being able to set the program to easily switch between high and low beams to not dazzle cars. What Exposure light are you running? A Strada?
Why come to that conclusion? Exposure do different light for different things...

I'm actually using an Exposure 'Race' mk7 which is technically an off-road light, just loads cheaper than the Strada for the same/similar output. Running it on mode 7 I think, which stops the 'Reflex' (which gets brighter at higher speeds) and mostly run it on medium/low at around 700-900 lumen, only occasionally needing high (over 1000 lumen) when things are foggy. Get at least 10 hours out of it using it like this, maybe more. Still get flashed by cars on some bits of uphill on my commute so I have to operate it much like a car headlight, putting it on low for oncoming traffic. One button press to switch between modes is superb, but always meant to pickup the smart switch (that comes with the Strada).

I'll wear different things depending on what the weather is, what the temperature is, what the wind is doing and what kind of riding I'm doing...

£220 does sound quite ripe, but then Assos always been crazy prices. I've never owned any of their kit, but people do like it so likely quality. Still a tough ask if you're not already an advocate of the brand - but that could be a personal thing to me. Not only would I struggle to justify spending that on 1 jacket, as that is a huge sum for me, but I also know that other cheaper kit I have likely does 98% of the job. I do tend to stick to brands I know for the 'premium' stuff. Once you've ridden with some cheap stuff, then some more expensive cycling specific stuff you can tell the difference. Base layers are a prime example and I love the Rapha ones with the high collar, but could never justify the cost to get the hooded ones, nor any more of them. They're on par with some Sportful ones I have which cost 50% the price.

My go-to garments in these shoulder seasons are generally more mild-winter windproof targeted, as I tend to dress on the warm side - preferring to overheat and taper my effort, than suffering through cold. For me that's protecting myself and dressing for the wind/windchill and not the ambient so much. So a selection of Sportful R&D 'wind' jerseys (anything with 'polartec alpha' - Rapha & Castelli use it too): https://road.cc/content/review/137570-sportful-rd-long-sleeve-wind-jersey alongside windproof gilets - my favourite being Castelli Fawsome/Perfetto/Gabba. I find these so good I only wear a light base layer underneath (sportful thermodynamic), but do go thicker as things go towards zero (Castelli Flanders/Sportful Bodyfit Pro). If the windchill isn't too bad or temps more likely to be over double digits later in the ride I'll wear a thinner windproof top like a Castelli Perfetto type, Alpha, DHB Windslam. Many of these tailoring base layer, sometimes also throwing on a summer jersey underneith is more than enough for rides between 4-5 degrees up to 15-16 at various intensities. Such a wide temperature range it covers most of the Autumn, Winter & Spring riding.

Legs/shorts for me are Sportful Fiandre & NoRain warmers (or Castelli Nanoflex). I cannot stress enough about how darn good they are. Slightly windproof, shower proof & fleece backed. They easily cover that same temperature range, as well as giving me something to ride in the warmer & wet, also used in the colder sub zero stuff with tights over the top. Castelli did a range of 'Omloop' shorts the same but I could never get the sizing right as they had extended longer legs so always bunched up behind my knees. Unsure what other cold weather shorts offerings are around. I went off dedicated bib tights a few years ago due to fit, but I still have DHB fleece backed padless ones I wear over my shorts in sub zero, plus a couple I just took the pads out.

Yep. I did the inaugural event. It was pretty tough going but overall somewhat fun :D I'd recommend Revolve24 at Brands Hatch more though, did that following year and enjoyed it.

A mate wrote up our experiences: https://www.notinthepeloton.com/nitp-redbulltimelaps
And video from my cameras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFSWT1GdGfA
Ahh, Revolve was the one I was thinking of.

My dhb overshoes have pretty much fallen to bits after just two winters. What overshoes do people recommend?

My fingers and toes are the parts I worry about most. I did quite a bit of testing with gloves and found the flipper/penguin hands type to be best if you're going out in freezing conditions. (Two fingers in each... erm.... flipper)
I like Sealskinz overshoes, I tend to go for the 'open sole' if I can find them (tend to be getting phased out) and last time ended up with a pair of 'Halo 2'. I find the velcro lower parts of 'open sole' usually mean you have more of an open area so there is less wear on the overshoe. Those without tend to get torn to bits with just a small amount of walking. Any of my overshoes tend to just wear through on the left toe for me (foot I put down) and there's nothing I can really do about it, once they're bad enough that it snags cleats then they go in the bin.

Although previously I did tend to go through a pair in less than 12 months, I was commuting in them and generally live in overshoes from late-September until April. Now I'm riding less commutes I'm digging out a few older pairs and wearing them until they fall apart totally so I can bin them... I have an 'overshoe box' with far too many in there so working through them. I would say now I get through a pair every 1.5 years! Just one of those 'expenses' of stuff to factor in as it wears out and just replace when needed, like chains & cleats.

Spatz Roadman - there is not a better overshoe out there in the world for UK winters.
Agreed, although the pure Roadman is really for zero degrees. I've found them too warm for Autumn/Spring riding unless absolutely grim! I've got a pair of standard ones, first editions I guess similar to the 'pro' or 'legalz' they do now, basically without all the extra Roadman shin insulation in them, much better suited. Still, I would only generally wear any of them when there is rain, or wet roads. If things are dry then just end up with wet feet from condensation/sweat wearing them, so I will wear a standard overshoe instead...

Last edited:
Soldato
I may have just caved and ordered the Assos jacket last night.

Jury is still out on whether or not I keep it but from lots of reading it seemed - Expensive but worth it.

Back
Top Bottom