Road Cycling

Soldato
Agreed, although the pure Roadman is really for zero degrees. I've found them too warm for Autumn/Spring riding unless absolutely grim! I've got a pair of standard ones, first editions I guess similar to the 'pro' or 'legalz' they do now, basically without all the extra Roadman shin insulation in them, much better suited. Still, I would only generally wear any of them when there is rain, or wet roads. If things are dry then just end up with wet feet from condensation/sweat wearing them, so I will wear a standard overshoe instead...

Different situ up here in the Arcrtic circle when you're a little wimp who can't handle the wet and cold :p

Soldato
Different situ up here in the Arcrtic circle when you're a little wimp who can't handle the wet and cold :p
Haha! Lets just say I've been in thermal shorts for over a month already and leg warmers for a number of weeks! The arm warmers are firmly back in the drawer...

I may have just caved and ordered the Assos jacket last night.

Jury is still out on whether or not I keep it but from lots of reading it seemed - Expensive but worth it.

I'd order something to compare it to, if you don't have something already, at least to judge it's fit and price difference to it's competitors. Endura Pro SL Thermal, Castelli Perfetto ROS or ROS 2 (if that is the Alpha replacement), Gore C3, DHB Aeron Deep Winter - that's no way a definitive list, there are plenty of others that's just a quick look on Wiggle (so you have hassle free returns) at similar garments.

Soldato
Anyone else entered Ride ondon for next year? Quite a few from my club have signed up, so I've gone for it. Only ridden 100 miles once before and interesting there's an 8 hour limit. When I did mine it was 8:22, but tbf we stopped for a whole hour for lunch and two other stops for coffee and cake. We were in no hurry at all :cry: (In fact, our moving time was basically 6 hours, so I guess I should be fine)

Soldato
Thanks for the spot!

The Assos jacket is rather... bright! Which I suppose is good for the winter. It was warm in the house so it's hard to gauge how it'll be out in the wild. Feels really nice though. I only have a Castelli gilet to compare it to though.

HWNRMja.jpg

Soldato
Anyone else entered Ride ondon for next year? Quite a few from my club have signed up, so I've gone for it. Only ridden 100 miles once before and interesting there's an 8 hour limit. When I did mine it was 8:22, but tbf we stopped for a whole hour for lunch and two other stops for coffee and cake. We were in no hurry at all :cry: (In fact, our moving time was basically 6 hours, so I guess I should be fine)
I enjoyed the 2019 event although I was bit unhappy about starting ~15mins after the first group. Ended up with barely anyone to ride with but lots of people to pass. Still fun nonetheless. Can't really beat smashing round mostly familiar closed roads and riding 100 miles in a touch over 4 hours :D

I'm not super inclined to do it again, like most sportives, but it was a good experience. It helped that my place was near enough free. I never got in on a ballot place with ~5 years of attempts.

Soldato

Gore make a whole pile of fabrics. Infinium is a group of fabrics which, IIRC, incorporate what the previously just branded as WindStopper. So, windproof and perhaps showerproof but you would/should eventually get in prolonged rain. However, not being waterproof it should breath better.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend clip on mudguards that offer a decent balance between coverage and easy removal? I’m going to swap my winter bike onto gravel tyres but want the option of taking the guards off for off road stuff.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend clip on mudguards that offer a decent balance between coverage and easy removal? I’m going to swap my winter bike onto gravel tyres but want the option of taking the guards off for off road stuff.

https://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/

I've used these in the past and I prefer them to the SKS Raceblades I have on the winter bike now.
They just attach with super fancy velcro sticky stuff to your forks..... so literally just yank them off by hand when you want them off and then velcro them back on when you want them back on.

I actually have 2 boxes of them, brand new. Never opened. Not trying to wangle money out of you, I would keep one box myself but if you do think they will fit the bill then give me a shout mate.

Associate
https://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/

I've used these in the past and I prefer them to the SKS Raceblades I have on the winter bike now.
They just attach with super fancy velcro sticky stuff to your forks..... so literally just yank them off by hand when you want them off and then velcro them back on when you want them back on.

I actually have 2 boxes of them, brand new. Never opened. Not trying to wangle money out of you, I would keep one box myself but if you do think they will fit the bill then give me a shout mate.

How much would you be looking for? (If OMS isn't interested)

Soldato
@One More Solo
I have the other set as well. Reality is I won't use them either so you can have them anyways.

Us guys been posting in this sub forum for years on end and have sold on the MM plenty. If someone who has nothing to do with our discussions here or the subforum wants to come in and lay down the law then so be it. I'll be first in line to tell them my thoughts and get banned :p

Soldato
Somebody needs to make some proper quick pop release mudguards that go into the proper mounts like oms Im swapping between gravel and road wheels and being able to pop something on off that you know is solid and fitted to your wheels/tyres would be brilliant, plus they'd actually cover the back wheel so you're not told to sit at the back on a club run.

Soldato
Are any of you in cycling clubs? How do you go about finding them (I don't use facebook) and how friendly do they tend to be especially to someone who is less than a beginner? Bit annoyed as during the summer my friends who convinced me to upgrade from my fixie to a road bike reassured me that they'd be cycling through the winter so I took a bit of my purchase based on that. We're barely into Autumn and they're already finding excuses! I've enjoyed the few solo cycles I've done but think I'd enjoy it much more cycling with others. Though my worry is I'd be dreadful compared to them and I don't want to hold anyone back from a good ride!

Soldato
Just go over to british cycling and find your local clubs, send them a message asking what you want from a club. Most clubs are really helpful and will respond accordingly, any who aren't are probably not a club you want to be joining!

Back
Top Bottom