Road Cycling

Soldato
Haven't got back on the bike yet, think I'm about ready to now as I can finally sit down without pain again. Just waiting for the first bit of decent weather. I defo wont be flying down hills at them speeds again that's for sure.
Road rash is brutal, ask any old racer who's been semi-pro about 'the brush'. Traditionally they scrubbed road rash after racing with a scrubbing brush and soap to get all the gravel out before dressing it up! Brutal! :eek:

Yes, finding your limits can be painful at times... Best thing is to not lose confidence, or just to be a little extra cautious in the first place... Manage the risk and put the effort into the climbs and those times sprinting on good roads you know, not the descents in the dark! ;)

Even the roads you know can be hazardous...

I also discovered a day after the accident my wrist wasn't sprained - I'd broken my hand.
Ouch, brutal! Amazing what adrenaline and being used to hurting ourselves can do. Rode with a friend who came off and broke his collarbone. Didn't want to call an ambulance and rode home (funny story, he'd also broken his crank arm so was pedalling 1 legged while we also pushed him up the steepest hills).

I think it varies by body weight and tyre width, doesn't it? I'm 100kg and on 28mm so I aim for 90-95psi at the back and maybe 85 at the front. In the cold I would go a few psi above this as you can lose about 8psi as the tyres get out into the cold.

Yeah, 8-12 PSI a week lost would sound about what I experience.
I'd say for me running tubeless and lower pressures it's around 5 PSI a week or two, only needing to put air in every 3-4 weeks this time of year. 78kg and 32mm at 40/60 PSI.

On the summer 28mm tubeless hutchingson at 55/65 PSI was a little more loss, but nowhere near 10 PSI for a week or two, maybe that at 3 weeks. But I considered them crap and leaky tyres, they would burp 5-10 PSI on some minor pot holes, so I'd usually be topping them up from that... But that was likely running 'non-hookless' tyres on hookless rims (not recommended!).

Tyres you use and the rim combo probably accounting for much of it. Tubeless probably better as less 'leaky' carcasses due to the sealant. Higher pressures obviously leaking more...

Currently waiting for the LBS to stock the new GP 5000 S TR (hookless!) in sensible sizes and I'll pickup a pair for the summer wheels. Unlikely I'll ride them much until next year. Do need some more winter tyres too, one of my Roubaix Pro 32's won't seal well so is running a tube. But this is the 4th winter for them so likely had my moneys worth.

Soldato
Anyone bought 'Foakleys' recently, recommend me a seller the quality was ok from please. Broke my cheap £15 Jawbreakers frame and not willing to stump up Oakleys price for just a frame.

I have 2 pairs of genuine and am using genuine lenses, it's just the frames I buy cheap for commuting/winter/exactly this reason! ;)

Soldato
A few weeks back I finally learnt how to change my chain. Next job is brake pads. They currently look like this at the front...

RvcEayO.jpg

The upper pad looks okay, I think I should have maybe just cleaned the other one? How low do you let them wear before replacing?

Given this is what the outside looks like -

U3WKzAM.jpg

Have I got the right pads here? Or even a little cheaper, here?

Soldato
The first ones, J pads are for older road hydraulic and MTB. You need K(no fins) or L(fins) at the start.

You have metal there so a cheaper option may be the K04S which is the non fin version of the L04C. L03A are resin with fins and K03S are non finned resin pads.

Really simple right?

Soldato
Both my super six and system six came with no fins and they work fine for hard braking down the lakes.

I've had 3k miles on the system six and showing very little wear but it was purely summer and light rain use.

Soldato
A few weeks back I finally learnt how to change my chain. Next job is brake pads. They currently look like this at the front...

RvcEayO.jpg

The upper pad looks okay, I think I should have maybe just cleaned the other one? How low do you let them wear before replacing?

Given this is what the outside looks like -

U3WKzAM.jpg

Have I got the right pads here? Or even a little cheaper, here?

Clean them out with some brake cleaner and refit them. Maybe a rub with some wet+dry if they're not wearing that even and are glazed. But they both look good in those pictures, loads of life left.

Only need to replace them when the pad have worn down/nearly gone. Can kinda tell that from looking at the thickness left on the backing plates, they both look to have several mm so probably good for another 5000 miles, or 2000 of a UK winter...

Although I'd not be handling brake pads with perfectly clean paws! ;) I'd also change like for like if you're happy with them. I switched from metal down to resin and really prefer them. Far less miles but I'm barely breaking 5k miles a year at the moment, with around half of that on Zwift! Using the J04C and get probably 6-9k out of them, although did go through a phase of 5-6k.

Did I say I'd cracked my Zwifting frame? Then broke my Neo? Possibly... But I may not have mentioned I also broke a 4iiii Powermeter too...! It's been an expensive few weeks, these things only come in 3's, right?! :eek::cry::rolleyes::o

Soldato
Well, had my first off on Saturday. Got pulled out on on a roundabout and then the ****** brake checked me (at around 40kph), and obviously got completely out-braked, managed to swerve a little before skidding and my left hand and shifter caught his right rear quarter panel.

Thankfully no lasting damage to me (landed on my right shoulder which is swollen and very sore, but I think only bruising. A little bit of a road rash and some bruises but nothing major). Fortunately no major frame damage, but may get it inspected. The left shifter twisted around my carbon bars and the headset twisted around on the steerer tube. Took it in today (btw Ace Bicycles in Guildford are absolutely first class!), and visually it all looks fine. New left shifter needed as its bust - but by some stroke of luck, somehow the one component I need is in stock!

So hopefully won't be out of action too long.

Fairly annoying situation, but it could have been much worse!

Soldato
Fairly annoying situation, but it could have been much worse!

Hope you are on a fast road to recovery. Take a good look around the top of the steerer, that is where mine had split with similar damage and fortunately for me, Canyon were excellent with getting me a new one delivered.

Soldato
@hellarda - Hope you and the bike are OK! Sounds really annoying!

I'm too much of a fair weather cyclist it seems. Wanted to head out this morning but it's raining and looks like it'll get heavier. I don't mind getting caught out in the rain but I don't yet have the will power to start my ride in the rain!
Annoyed a I bought some nice over boots to wear as the last few cycles I've done over the last few days have all resulted in painfully numb toes so I was looking forward to testing them out!

Question for the more experienced riders. when climbing what do you find is better to do? I tend to not get out of the saddle at all and whenever I do stand, it feels very unnatural. How do you prefer to get up climbs? Not necessarily long, but steep. Think I need to go out hill hunting and practice climbing when standing up

Soldato
I do both to be honest. Grind a big gear until my legs are a bit burny, sit and spin to clear the legs and use the heart rate then out the saddle sprinting/attacking over the top.

Soldato
Not feeling the Festive 500 this year. It’ll be the first year in a long time where I’ve not done it.
Same. It may happen but it's unlikely. Done enough years in the past though. Maybe 3 or 4.

Omicron has near enough wrecked rest of my Christmas plans that would have made it unachievable but I'm still not quite motivated enough. Weather doesn't look particularly appetising either.

Soldato
I'm not even that positive I could manage one 62.5Km ride, nevermind one a day for eight days, even simply joining the Diesel Dan pace partner juggernaut on Zwift's Tempus Fuigit at 1.5W/Kg!

Last time I did a 40Km+ ride was 9th October when I ticked the ~6.9 mile ~1200 foot "Road To Hell" off my cycling bucket list https://www.strava.com/activities/6087111135 , I then had almost four weeks of flu, besides commutes I've only done a single 1hr40mins outdoor ride since. I've been on Zwift everyday for ~7 weeks, but it's pretty much all Z1/2. To top it all off, I had another week of feeling rough after my Covid jab booster recently and I'm still cautious about doing much above 2W/Kg because my legs feel weak... The days of typically having a 3.5-4W/Kg FTP from 2018 to early 2021 seem a very distant past right now.:(

Back
Top Bottom