Road Cycling

Soldato
For myself some lake cx238 in a 44 but I'm thinking of trying a 43.5. both feet are different sizes at 270mm left and 275mm right so a 44 should be perfect for my right foot.

I hate footwear, I have 9 Adidas jeans that feel too big, 9 Nike that feel nice and 8.5 spezials that feel ever so tight with a thicker sock on :o

Associate
Trying to replace the headset bearings on my turbo bike as I plan on using it in my triathlon (lighter than main bike)

Struggling to work out what bearings to get, pretty sure it's 36 X 45 and 1-1/8 but I'm not sure what height? Never serviced a headset before.

This looks about right.

I've tried measuring the height but only have tape measures.

No ideas what 873 refers to.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.FSA-Headset-Bearing-ACB-TH-873E_106086.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
For myself some lake cx238 in a 44 but I'm thinking of trying a 43.5. both feet are different sizes at 270mm left and 275mm right so a 44 should be perfect for my right foot.

I hate footwear, I have 9 Adidas jeans that feel too big, 9 Nike that feel nice and 8.5 spezials that feel ever so tight with a thicker sock on :o

Tried them but couldn't get a good fit. Tried my normal size, felt too lose and crazy heel slip, tried a size smaller, fit was OK but still heel slip.

Ended up trying pair of Northwave Revolution 2 and they are great. Cant recommend them enough. Great fit and no heel slip at all. In fact when I had my first off a few months ago and scuffed em up a bit, I bagged another pair in the sales :p.

Soldato
I'm coming from Giro Trans in a 44 that I've never got on with. Even tight as hell my heel moves in them.

The lake don't slip at the heel but I feel my toes are a bit lost in the toe box. I'm so fussy.

Once I find my Goldilocks one I'm buying 3 pairs. I get a **** hot price on the lakes which is handy.

Soldato
I'm coming from Giro Trans in a 44 that I've never got on with. Even tight as hell my heel moves in them.

The lake don't slip at the heel but I feel my toes are a bit lost in the toe box. I'm so fussy.

Once I find my Goldilocks one I'm buying 3 pairs. I get a **** hot price on the lakes which is handy.
Fussy bugger! Know a few riders who want specific shoes that then go eol and they scrabble around trying to buy more pairs. Know someone with some last gen giros who has 4 pairs sat in his cupboard...

Soldato
Going to try my first serious climb tomorrow.

And how did you get on?

I went for my longest ride in 6 months, 4th longest ever in fact. Some of the fitter ands faster guys from my club had suggested a 77 mile ride, so I set off 30 minutes early (7:30am!) and waited for them at a fuel stop around 20 miles in. Managed to pretty much hold with them for the next 25 miles, setting PR's all over the place (see below :cry:) to the coffee and cake stop (which was pretty amazing tbf, also see below) and then just let them go as I pootled back the last 32 miles home with a couple of energy bar stops thrown in.

73cf57N.png

LG94TeI.png

gDrsQmh.jpg

I was rather pleased, going up the Dunstable Downs my head unit was telling me I was on for a PR, so I pushed on past the guys and got the best time on the climb... which at 97kg I don't usually expect to do so!

Proper fuelling made such a difference. It was hard, but not too bad. In the evening I almost expected to be wiped out (we have a friend staying for the Superbowl tonight) but I felt okay, we went out and such. I took and consumed a banana, a SiS energy bar and two Lucho whatever energy lumps... as well as the above calorie/sugar loaded brownie/crispy hybrid at the cake stop :D

(Also, come show me your heatmap in this thread :) )

Last edited:
Soldato
@AndyCr15 - I bottled it. Well, I didn't bottle it but my friend who I was going to ride with said he didn't fancy it and I didn't want to do it alone. I ended up going for a ride by myself but it didn't have too many hills in. 70k distance but only 450m of elevation gained.

decided in definitely going to tackle it this month though even if it means going myself. I have a few days booked off later in the month so I may even try and do both rides

I'm still a bit of a nervous rider by myself. Not sure why as I'm fine on the roads etc but I just like having someone else to talk to especially when venturing away from home. I think it's just worrying about getting a mechanical by myself! But I always have spares with me so I just need to get on with it!

that looks like you did an epic ride! I want to get my first 100k ride done sooner than later. I don't think I'm too far away from it. Maybe I'll attempt one in March

Soldato
As someone with flipper width feet, Lake shoes are HUGE. If you’ve got skinny feet you might struggle to get a good fit.
Yeah. I heard they're good so went on their size guide and traced my foot out on paper. I know I've got narrow feet but I'm way off fitting any Lakes.

Going for a bike fit in a few weeks. New shoes are required so will be interesting to see what they recommend.

Soldato
As someone with flipper width feet, Lake shoes are HUGE. If you’ve got skinny feet you might struggle to get a good fit.

Compared to my Giro they have a huge opening once you undo the Boa, they look long as I was expecting more a rearward clear position but it seems it might be worse in these Vs Giro and they do seem to have enough adjustment that they clamp closed nicely. My Giro straps were maxes out and still didn't feel snug.

Fussy bugger! Know a few riders who want specific shoes that then go eol and they scrabble around trying to buy more pairs. Know someone with some last gen giros who has 4 pairs sat in his cupboard...

Not sure if these are Goldilocks yet but 2.5 hours in the turbo abd my feet feel ok, my knees on the other hand. :cry:
Yeah. I heard they're good so went on their size guide and traced my foot out on paper. I know I've got narrow feet but I'm way off fitting any Lakes.

Going for a bike fit in a few weeks. New shoes are required so will be interesting to see what they recommend.

I traced my foot and found 270mm and 275mm left and right and about 102mm wide so went with a 44 as that is 280mm max after I added the 5mm to the length.

I still had a small pinch on my right foot but I may have put them too tight at the start. Definitely want to visit bike fit James for a fit as I feel so one sided it's unreal.

Soldato
I spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting the best bike ready for some better weather. Started by servicing the freehub - really impressed with how simple DT Swiss (350) made it. Once the cassette is off, it just pulls apart with your fingers. There's two springs, a spacer, an end cap and the two ratchet "cogs". The bearings felt smooth, so I just cleaned, dried, re-greased and re-assembled. It did sound like some killer bees before but now it's almost silent :cool:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting the best bike ready for some better weather. Started by servicing the freehub - really impressed with how simple DT Swiss (350) made it. Once the cassette is off, it just pulls apart with your fingers. There's two springs, a spacer, an end cap and the two ratchet "cogs". The bearings felt smooth, so I just cleaned, dried, re-greased and re-assembled. It did sound like some killer bees before but now it's almost silent :cool:

Yeah, they are super nice aren't they. My road bike just has cheapo wheels and hubs but my MTB has DT 240s hubs and ex481/511 rims which I built up myself. I would be tempted to do the same if I even upgrade my road wheels. Probably get carbon hoops though if that ever happens.

Soldato
Does anyone happen to know anywhere that has 28mm Conti GP5000 Tubeless tyres in stock? Got a pretty big slash puncture that didn't seal and I need a new tyre. Can't find them anywhere in stock :(

Soldato
I'm totally going to end up with both. It just depends which I get first. I do like the idea of seeing numbers on my wahoo but then I also like the idea of seeing some fancy wheels on my bike!
I'd say make the choice best on what your immediate aims are. PWM for training, or specifics like calorie burn, FTP's for training sessions outside. If you're more about the ride and not that serious then get wheels first. You'll like the look of the bike and enjoy the 'feeling' more to keep you riding and encourage you.

But don't expect either of them to make you a fantastic rider - they're just 2 tools with quite a bit of crossover in achieving that. One is more head, the other more heart. ;)

I agreed with my partner I wont get a new bike until we buy our new house so that's at least 4 years away but that's definitely more of a want than a need.
Ouch. See if you can retract this! The cost of a bike in the grand schemes of house ownership is NOTHING. I ended up buying one when we actually where in the process of moving - but saving ~£800 off the list price of it was too good to miss. Paid easily 2X more than the cost of that bike in unforeseen fee's and waivers.

Bike barely 7% of the money we spent on the house move.

All the way out into the wind, coming home with the wind I felt great and was 3mph ave faster. Was it just the wind, or could it be I only had a bowl of porridge half an hour before riding, which is slow release energy? I think it's most likely the wind, but did make me wonder as my legs just didn't feel good for the first half to the point I even wondered about turning back about 10 miles in.
Defo the wind, especially being a taller and bigger guy it'll affect/impact you more. At the speeds you where travelling at I wouldn't consider the porridge 'bad' fuel. If anything perfect for that kind of ride - but it's all down to the HR zones you where in on just what kind of burn you achieved to know if it was enough to fuel you. As you seem to be counting and in a deficit to try and trim (?), it may not have given you enough reserves for those conditions. The way home with that wind was always going to feel good!

Calories is always something that I see as far too many people burning high numbers which in my mind can't be 'real' (or realistic). Hate to use yours as an example but here we are - call it 3 hours of riding and 2000 calories. Considering for half of that (talking rough figures here) Strava says you where in Z2 with another hour in Z3. That to me sounds crazy high burn for a Z2/3 ride?! Look at my ride yesterday with not too dissimilar HR zones - yet my calorie burn being barely 2/3 of yours. Admittedly I was on Zwift so less 'outside influence' and only rode for 2 hours. But that is a massive difference in 'calories' really. That 7-800 calorie breakfast difference in 'burn' between us.

I didn't even eat anything before mine, nor drink anything more than a 750ml bottle of High5 hydration tabs (zero cal?!) while riding. Didn't feel empty afterwards so no extra calories consumed. But also don't 'expect' to for that kind of ride.

The TTT I did on Thursday a different matter, but 1 hour at mostly Z4 at my utter limit, destroying myself riding with A's and strong B's (I'm a C). Utterly empty at the end. 1 hour and ~1000 calories. Massive difference physically and 'feel', yet only a few hundred cals difference in 'burn?! How right is that - I could easily have demolished an extra couple of breakfasts after that ride! I'd also eaten a massive curry ~1 hour before. :cry:

But yes, FTP alone seems an odd way to measure a riders ability. It's like every person that runs is judged on their 5k time, even the 100m sprinters.
That's totally it and probably why FTP itself is a poor measure and why really using it to 'compare' and compete against other is an utter failing. Nothing new really. FTP is a training tool and a judgement meant to be used personally to adjust/measure training rides/plans against and measure personal gains against. You only get better at riding hard for 20 minutes, by riding hard for 20 minutes.

I don't do 20 minute efforts very often, not even FTP tests anymore, because I'm always racing and TTT'ing. I've got significantly better at them, but I dare say to go and do an FTP test I would likely end up with a similar number to my last one when I was far weaker (247W). Before doing an FTP test and being able to 'trust' the result, I'd be doing more solid power efforts to get myself 'ready' to ride one. The reality is a more rounded testing like the 4DP would be far better for most of us - my 1m, 5m and 10min powers are probably significantly higher due to the types of efforts I'm riding.

BMI is used primarily when talking about people with weight issues. Anyone who isn't reasonably accurately represented by BMI is unlikely to be ignorant of their health
This is pretty much it. BMI generally for 'normal' people - those less active than us, probably carrying more fat than us, but also significantly less muscle. I'm 79kg now and it's telling me that's 26.3 and overweight. Suggested range being 55kg-75kg. I can get down to 75kg (kinda my summer weight), but anything towards 70kg is hard for me and when I did people said I 'looked unhealthy'. I felt it too, far less power. I'd be feeble at 55-60kg! :D

Lot of pish really. My thighs must be pure muscle IMO
Mine are not, but a running joke with a teammate is my thighs each measuring 24" the same as her waistline. If mine where pure muscle I'd be 100kg and called Chris Hoy.

I would imagine for a lot of people that don't exercise and generally live fairly sedentary lifestyles, if they're marked as obese they probably do need to do something about it.
Bang on.

Managed to bag some goodies off the bay today.

Shimano ULTEGRA R8000 2x11 Speed Shifters
Rear derailleur R8000 gs
Front derailleur R8000

All brand new, for £270. Seemed a bargain.
Great find and price! :D

Not sure if these are Goldilocks yet but 2.5 hours in the turbo abd my feet feel ok, my knees on the other hand. :cry:
They gotta be pretty close if you can do that in a new pair of shoes mate! Even now with my ~6 year old Sidi's they still feel as comfortable as slippers, but if I do them up a notch too tight and don't notice for 30+ mins I can be in agony or have a really sore/strained foot for an hour or two after...! :eek:

Soldato
Proper fuelling made such a difference. It was hard, but not too bad. In the evening I almost expected to be wiped out (we have a friend staying for the Superbowl tonight) but I felt okay, we went out and such. I took and consumed a banana, a SiS energy bar and two Lucho whatever energy lumps... as well as the above calorie/sugar loaded brownie/crispy hybrid at the cake stop :D

How did you find the Luchos?

I started the year feeling quite positive and upped my cycling goal a decent bit, i've then not ridden for over a month with running taking priority. Not helped by the weather being so miserable. Roll on Spain and sunny dry days!

Soldato
Hate to use yours as an example but here we are - call it 3 hours of riding and 2000 calories. Considering for half of that (talking rough figures here) Strava says you where in Z2 with another hour in Z3. That to me sounds crazy high burn for a Z2/3 ride?! Look at my ride yesterday with not too dissimilar HR zones - yet my calorie burn being barely 2/3 of yours.

I dunno, they looks reasonable to me. Me in Z2 61.5%, you in Z2 56.7%. I would have said they were pretty similar and yes, you did almost 2/3's the time, so 2/3 the calories?

As I think we mentioned above, I think HR is only used as an estimation if you don't have power figures. (I generally seem to have a low HR compared to other people of similar age that I cycle with) With Watts burnt they should be pretty accurate calorie count? How well my PM is calibrated is perhaps a different matter? I guess there could be 5-10% variance in either of ours?

How did you find the Luchos?

They were okay I think. Tasted okay, if a little sweet. Hard to know what effect they had on my ride, especially as just one component of the overall fuelling, but I was certainly surprised how well I felt in the evening and the next day.

Soldato
I'd say make the choice best on what your immediate aims are. PWM for training, or specifics like calorie burn, FTP's for training sessions outside. If you're more about the ride and not that serious then get wheels first. You'll like the look of the bike and enjoy the 'feeling' more to keep you riding and encourage you.

But don't expect either of them to make you a fantastic rider - they're just 2 tools with quite a bit of crossover in achieving that. One is more head, the other more heart. ;)

I think I've actually solved the issue with a nice bit of persuasive talking to my partner. I've decided that I'm going to get carbon wheels first and not bother with the power meter. The looks of the wheels are 50% of the allure as I don't think I cycle fast enough to really get the aero benefits, but at least I'll think my bike looks snazzy! As 'Prop Joe' once said; Look the part, be the part! :p

But I also, in my mind, came up with a fantastic idea. My partner and I are expecting our first child next month. So for the next year or so it's going to be hard to get out as much as I'd like or equally she wont have as much time as she would like to go running so I proposed the idea that we get a Turbo trainer towards the end of the year. She's planning on getting a road bike in the summer but for times where we both can't go out together - for most of the year i suppose - she agrees that she'd quite like to use a tubro trainer inside whilst I'm out and vice versa. She actually likes the idea of Zwift more than I do as it means she can cycle with her friend who lives back in Wales.

(funny story. The day before we found out she was pregnant she had actually just put a deposit down on a Trek Domane SLR6. The following day I went to the office and had sent her a few Ribble Bikes which were the similar spec but for cheaper. She then called me up and told me "I did a test, it's positive". I had assumed she meant it was the Corona virus so I was really calm but it turns out it was a pregnancy test... She then had to cancel the bike order so she's been gutted that I've been going out a lot recently)

Seeing as most the decent ones have a power meter built in and I also expect it would be much easier to do actual training inside when not worrying about other cyclists and cars it seems like a win win scenario. I don't really need a computer to tell me how weak I am at cycling, Strava already says my average is only about 140-160wats over a cycle when I feel I've put in a lot of effort. I'd rather be ignorant to that for a while longer :p:D

Ouch. See if you can retract this! The cost of a bike in the grand schemes of house ownership is NOTHING. I ended up buying one when we actually where in the process of moving - but saving ~£800 off the list price of it was too good to miss. Paid easily 2X more than the cost of that bike in unforeseen fee's and waivers.

Bike barely 7% of the money we spent on the house move.
We moved into our first house back in October 2020 and since then I've bought a lot of frivolous bits and bobs that I really didn't need to buy. We plan to move from here in the next 3 years and seeing as I only got my bike last year August I don't really have an excuse to buy another bike so soon.... As much as I'd like to and I'm sure using 'Man-Math' I can make it work out :cry:

Associate
Ordered some new brake and shifter cables last week. Went into the garage today to take some tools out and found some new brake and shifter cables... True story.

Really need to sort out a dedicated bike storage area.

Soldato

Lovely hubs, you can actually just pull the freehub off with the cassette in place if you wanted to save a step.

This is pretty much it. BMI generally for 'normal' people - those less active than us, probably carrying more fat than us, but also significantly less muscle. I'm 79kg now and it's telling me that's 26.3 and overweight. Suggested range being 55kg-75kg. I can get down to 75kg (kinda my summer weight), but anything towards 70kg is hard for me and when I did people said I 'looked unhealthy'. I felt it too, far less power. I'd be feeble at 55-60kg! :D

Mine are not, but a running joke with a teammate is my thighs each measuring 24" the same as her waistline. If mine where pure muscle I'd be 100kg and called Chris Hoy.

They gotta be pretty close if you can do that in a new pair of shoes mate! Even now with my ~6 year old Sidi's they still feel as comfortable as slippers, but if I do them up a notch too tight and don't notice for 30+ mins I can be in agony or have a really sore/strained foot for an hour or two after...! :eek:

Had to check after you mentioned sizes now. 22.5" my thighs are so you win.

Got a pair of Rc9 from a friend who's had nothing but trouble with them and ****** his feet doing a 12hr TT in them. Had the rep in today and was sizing him for Lake and he'll be a 44.5 and a wide fit(due to bunions) so no wonder the Rc9 were destroying him as they feel snug even for me.

I need to get the System six back out on the road before the end of the month and check my position on that before racing. Brought it home from the shop last week and it's winking at me from my spare room. Winter bike pedals are fairly worn so it'll be good to feel how tight the summer bike locks me in place. The 19th of January I was last outside so I'm thankful I purchased a decent turbo(eventually).

Back
Top Bottom