Road Cycling

Associate
Ultimate CF SL8

How did you find the ultimate? I was aiming for a endurace rim brake CF, but this is now discontinued and disc only. So it is now ultimate CF SL 105 at 1650 vs endurace CF disc at 1950. How did you find the ultimate position? The frame does not seem particularly different to the endurace (slightly more reach) and the cassette is 28 max rather than 32, which could make hills more difficult.

Associate
I don't know that one? Is it near? Can you link to the Strava segment?

https://veloviewer.com/segments/2885469

I think Whiteleaf hill top section is going up Kop hill, but there is a separate road for the segment that brings you up to the top.

If you want punishing hills nearby there is also:
https://veloviewer.com/segment/653829/Smalldean+Lane
Or
https://veloviewer.com/segments/5237347

I can make it up Whiteleaf slowly but it is on a hybrid with an easy bail out gear (I’ll say I need it for the 16+kg bike, but not sure I would manage on a road gearing). I’m yet to make it up the Smalldean climb without stopping, but hopefully this year!

Soldato
How did you find the ultimate? I was aiming for a endurace rim brake CF, but this is now discontinued and disc only. So it is now ultimate CF SL 105 at 1650 vs endurace CF disc at 1950. How did you find the ultimate position? The frame does not seem particularly different to the endurace (slightly more reach) and the cassette is 28 max rather than 32, which could make hills more difficult.

It's my first road bike so I have very little frame of reference to compare it to an endurance styled bike. My bicycle before this was a track fixed gear bike which was even more aggressively positioned so compared to that I find the ultimate quite relaxed and comfortable but with all things, your mileage may vary!

no regrets that's for certain though. I love it.

Soldato
Great thank you. My bike is more BSO hybrid style with mountain bike wheels, so worry the position would not be comfortable even before spaces are removed. Probably need to hire one before buying to see.

I should also add I don't think they're all 11-28. Mine came with an 11-30 cassette. But even if you wanted to change I don't think it's a difficult job to change it over. 5 minutes at most

Soldato
If you want punishing hills nearby there is also:
https://veloviewer.com/segment/653829/Smalldean+Lane

Yeah, I did this last year on the same ride as my first trip up Whiteleaf. We did 5 really nasty hills of the Chilterns in a 100k ride. Was beautiful, but also pretty brutal :cry:

Got his a few days back, finally had nice enough weather to set it up and give the bike a decent wash -

View attachment Gsx3j5F.jpg

View attachment 3ocCow4.jpg

Went pretty hard at the chain, but I think it's still a little greasy. Is it easier/better just to take it off and leave it soaking in something?

Soldato

I find my Ultimate SL CF8 more comfortable then the Allez Sport it replaced. I'd feel the discomfort if going much over an hour on my old bike, but have done a 200 miler on the Canyon before.

Soldato
Nightmare of an attempt to ride this morning. Got out and about 1.5mi down the road cable snapped,so turned around rode home, got the summer bike out swapped the pedals over as it runs look keos and it was still bloody cold so using my winter boots. Then realised I had to drop my saddle. Got out and did 45 mins with the club, then bolting it up a hill rear derailleur decided to completely lock up.

Luckily 2 mins from home so went home and sorted it out and chased the group back down after 40 mins of riding, fairly uneventful after this apart from one guy in a car saying he caught me littering on his dashcam (throwing a banana peel away) about 20secs after he close passed us round a bend... Need the weather to warm up as the summer bike is so much quicker!

Soldato
Seems to be lots of bad luck going on today.

As per my Strava and my mate getting a puncture 1.8 miles in.

Didn't drink, got away early from second job so i didn't have to work until 3am, great sleep, breakfast, coffee half hour drive and then a crap day out basically. Bike can get frustrating.

Soldato
I had a good Saturday ride and I got new shoes!

Old are Bont Vapour Plus, new Bont Vaypor S went for the reflective grey ones so least a bit different.

Been riding the Vaypor Plus for 7 years and probably 50k km in that time, so I’ve had my moneys worth, but they are so comfortable and match my feet exactly after so long! One heals worn through, the toe rubber is broken on another. They are coming apart in a few spots so well overdue.

They feel a little tight being brand new, will give them a little heat mould even if I don’t remember it changing much last time, maybe reduce the arch support slightly.

Soldato
Nightmare of an attempt to ride this morning. Got out and about 1.5mi down the road cable snapped,so turned around rode home, got the summer bike out swapped the pedals over as it runs look keos and it was still bloody cold so using my winter boots. Then realised I had to drop my saddle. Got out and did 45 mins with the club, then bolting it up a hill rear derailleur decided to completely lock up.

Luckily 2 mins from home so went home and sorted it out and chased the group back down after 40 mins of riding, fairly uneventful after this apart from one guy in a car saying he caught me littering on his dashcam (throwing a banana peel away) about 20secs after he close passed us round a bend... Need the weather to warm up as the summer bike is so much quicker!
Road cable?

I had a woman in a SUV turn around in Surrey and chase me down because I popped a banana skin in the bush. She was absolutely fuming and could barely control her driving when she had a go. Don't think she had any idea it was a banana skin and wouldn't listen to a word I said. On the fence as to whether it's really a huge problem chucking bananas.

Soldato
My partner is looking to get a road bike now she's about to give birth. Thinking of getting a Ribble R872 Disc with a 105 groupset. Before we pull the trigger on it, can anyone else think of any other bike around the £1700 price mark that would be a better alternative?

Planet X have a carbon bike with SRAM Force and it's £1500 but I'm not sure she likes the colour which will be the deciding factor!

Any ideas?

So far I've had two planet x bikes and they have both been brilliant and lasted years of cycling 30km a day to work.
for £1500ish (when it's on offer) you can get the TI with sram Rival which _may_ last longer.

I don't like to go on about it as everyone has a bad days and it was years ago (like, 6?) but the reason I got a Planet-X is that the ribble I ordered sat for 3 months at "Building" (it was via cycle scheme so I was already "paying") before being CANCELLED because they were no longer going to use SRAM.

Soldato
Yeah, I did this last year on the same ride as my first trip up Whiteleaf. We did 5 really nasty hills of the Chilterns in a 100k ride. Was beautiful, but also pretty brutal :cry:

Got his a few days back, finally had nice enough weather to set it up and give the bike a decent wash -

Went pretty hard at the chain, but I think it's still a little greasy. Is it easier/better just to take it off and leave it soaking in something?

That's damn nice. where's it from?
edit
christ, just found it. that's not cheap!

Soldato
Road cable?

I had a woman in a SUV turn around in Surrey and chase me down because I popped a banana skin in the bush. She was absolutely fuming and could barely control her driving when she had a go. Don't think she had any idea it was a banana skin and wouldn't listen to a word I said. On the fence as to whether it's really a huge problem chucking bananas.

Road, cable (shifter).

I'm very conscious about litter, but with the state of some of the bananas I take there is no way I'm putting one of the skins back in my Jersey pocket :D

Soldato
That's damn nice. where's it from?
edit
christ, just found it. that's not cheap!

Yeah, I'm very pleased with it. Not sure where you found it, as I found one place with it on offer, so paid £226, which I didn't think was too bad for a decent stand that will hopefully be the last one I need to buy :)

On the fence as to whether it's really a huge problem chucking bananas.

I would never (knowingly) drop a gel packet, if I can see/find a bin a banana skin would go in that, but I don't really have an issue slinging one in the countryside. Surely it breaks down reasonably quick and will pretty much degrade into the ground?

Soldato
Good ride on saturday out with the club. Do totally get the bad luck side of it - guy who punctured twice last week, punctured once on the way to meet us, then again 20 minutes into our ride. He gave up at that point and went home, even though we tried to get him to continue his heart just not in it!

Felt good and just riding socially and spinning the legs to see how they where (after being in bits after last week). 10 less miles and 1000 less ft climbing I was totally fine. Amazing clear day and lots of great views. Wasn't warm due to the wind, but any time we got out of it, it was glorious! :cool:

Smashed ZRL last ride of the season on Tuesday, legs where rubbish, but somehow nearly pulled off a solo breakaway to the finish! Caught in the last 800m but still held on to 8th place. No idea how I had the legs for it. So my team clear winners of EMEA South C2 and will be promoted to C1 for next season. :D

Just to add to the above when spraying stuff like WD40 make sure you don't get it near anything where there is grease like BBs or rear hubs as it'll strip it away and you'll need to change those bearings way before they ever need to.
Agreed, keep that GT86 confined the the chain - spraying it towards the ground or into a rag to scrub with. Also make sure you don't get it on your disk rotors!

Note: I'm using it as a cleaning agent, it's a good penetrating light oil so lifts grime. But it has no staying power and is too light for the chain/chainring/cassette surfaces. You need to relube after.

The GCN video with Si using WD40 as a lube replacement is utterly stupid. I get using it to get moisture out of chain links might be a thing, but you need to get something back in there to protect them again afterwards.

it's not online killing the LBS, it's LBS killing themselves.
Totally agree! LBS here is shutting down because he 'can't offer his customers the full range anymore' - he only stocks Merida and has absolutely no consideration to stock any other brands. Silly excuse! Why not announce you're closing down because you're old and can't be bothered to compete!? :cry::rolleyes:

Just did my first ever FTP test, that was a horrible experience especially to get such a low number back! Going to do the 4 week FTP booster and hope I can get up to a somewhat credible number. :(:p

FTP was 206 and I currently weigh 82kg. Hopefully I can lose a bit of weight over the next few weeks if only to boost up my number! I started strong then looked at the time to see I had 15 minutes left. It turns out that when going for as hard as you think you're going, 20 minutes is a long time! My average watts dropped down significantly in the last 1/4. Live and learn for next time now!
A good start and not a bad 'result' - don't be too disappointed!

If I can ever get close to 3.5 w/Kg I'll be really happy. Will take many months of training though
I'd be happy with 3.5 too, only been 'training' towards it for 5~ years! ;):cry:

Enjoy the gains and increases, the big bumps you get early on from some structure are so much fun - but they don't last! ;)

Also I've been meaning to ask but especially given recent highway code changes. What are people's views on overtaking distance whilst you're in a non segregated cycle lane?

Particularly at this time of year the cycle lanes are just full of rubbish so best case you're hugging the edge of the cycle lane and have cars passing as if the line markings are an invisible barrier.
No change to road behaviour here. Cycle lanes? What are they? Don't have any this part of the world. The NCN is a prime example of the 'black hole' I live in for cycling infrastructure. Still a fantastic place to ride a bike!

for quick detailing with foam for chain/frame (maybe it will work on intricate bits of car & window cleaning too) - the
Marolex Axel 2000 Pressure Washer Snow Foamer Lance Spray Bottle 2L
look interesting versus buying pressurized sprays recurrently.
Why is everyone foaming their bikes recently!? It all seems crazy expensive stuff too! I'll stick with my cheap degreaser and a cloth...

338w gave me 321w so sitting at 4w/kg as I'm 81kg. Hopefully I can drop to 77-78 at 320w.
Strong numbers mate, kudos! I'm going well at the moment but still not far off my 'peak' at around 270/280W if I did a test... But carrying 3-4kg more than at my best. Got far more power so keep telling myself it's muscle, but still getting 72 bottles of beer delivered every 2 months and they don't drink themselves might not strictly be accurate...! ;)

Soldato
@Roady - I'm hoping most of my gains will be through losing a bit of my winter coat! I don't think I actually will ever get close to 3.5 but it's a nice target to aim for! With baby less than 3 weeks away I'm sure any progress I do make soon will soon be written right off!

It's the journey, not the destination.... or something like that! I do quite enjoy seeing the real life improvements I've made since taking cycling more seriously this year. The first 100K ride I ever done and I found it somewhat easy. Was with 2 others. 1 has cycled almost as much as me this year and the other has only been on 2 or 3 rides this year. The latter had to bail out and get picked up at about 80k as he had been slowing down and suffering from about the 40/50km mark and my other friend made the whole distance but felt pretty rotten at the end. I felt quite good come the end, remarkably. Enough that I had a quick shower and snack when I got back and then we went walking around some shops in the afternoon. My legs felt a bit stiff the day after and I tried to do a ride on Zwift but couldn't do anything of any worth but other than that, I came out the other end relatively unscathed.

I know that last year I did a 50km cycle and I was buggered for days. I do blame that for me being on a fixed gear but I'm also putting it on just a bit of consistent cycling causing improvements

Soldato
Road, cable (shifter).
Damn :(

I'm not sure if people remember my troubles with shifter cables but I have to say since changing my BB cable guide they seem to be lasting longer. The shifters are fundamentally flawed in design so they tend to chew cables anyway but I think a worn BB cable guide was exacerbating the issue. I still got a near snap the other week but it lasted many months longer through some really rough weather!

Back
Top Bottom