Road Cycling

Soldato
Why did you spend so much on a bike if you're not racing then and not competing or after performance gain.

Thats a rather spurious argument. People spend decent money on nice things because they can a lot of the time and usually theres nothing more to it than that. Should people that buy sports cars have to get an ARDS licence to justify their purchase? It seems a rather odd rabbit hole to go down

Soldato
Looks a great setup for that money - congrats on getting a deal! Don't know my Cube's but seen them around a while so think it's a brand I'd generally trust as reliable and although those bright colours are a complete rip of Bianchi Celeste - it still looks AWESOME! (but I would say that). ;)

Good work enabling her to have a great 'target' and something to look forward to. Especially after everything she's going/gone/about to go through - good luck to you both! :D
I'd have both loved and equally hated her to get a Bianchi in that colour (I'd have been very jealous!) but it was out of the price she was comfortable paying. Had she still had her old job she would've justified it through a cyclescheme but her new place only supports a couple of shops and the only road bikes they had started at £4000! So all things considered, she's really happy with it. It's now just taunting her until she is able to actually ride the thing.

Good work with AdZ, it's tough and always a good measure of fitness. Even better if you finished it within your target time and still think you went too easy somewhere! It's something I always liked to do as a 'complete' FTP test as a ~60 min effort. But it's so brutal it's not something I've ridden much recently (only done it 6 times total lol) as not really doing any FTP specific training...

I knew it would be tough but I think even that I took for granted. My aim was always to do the 4 week FTP builder course to get my fitness up and then try it next month. I got a bit bored and decided on a whim to give it a go in the morning. I knew I had made a mistake by the point I got to the 2nd corner but carried on through sheer stubbornness of not wanting to give up. Really, I had hoped I'd be have been able to do it closer to 75 minutes than 90 but I suppose 90 minutes is still faster than someone who still hasn't attempted it! I'll definitely give it another go in a few weeks. Half the battle was mental but now I know I can do it, i just need to push on a bit harder.

Gave the Epic KOM a go last night. Think my legs are still feeling the pain from ADZ as I didn't have much to give but still got up it. Then did the 'bonus climb' at the end... I had heard about it but thought seeing as I've done ADZ it couldn't be that bad... wrong. That was a nasty bit of the climb. I thought 1.13Km couldn't be that bad :p Was going to try the '3 sisters' route but glad I only went for the shorter version as I don't think I would've made the longer one.

I know it's the wrong thread but I'm enjoying Zwift so much more than I thought I would. It was a lovely day yesterday but after work Watopia sounded like a much nicer option... mostly as I don't have to clean my bike after!

Soldato
Urgh. One of the G8 insoles I got in bike fit failed within days. The arch support has snapped. Not sure if it was already snapped when fitted. Not managed to get hold of the bike fitter yet for replacement :(

Soldato
A question for the more handy around here...

I currently have this bike sat around doing nothing productive. Wont be needed to be back in use for next summer but I'd like to turn it into the 'baby bike' for use with a baby seat. When I got it, it was the wrong size so I'll get it a full service and change the handle bars to be a bit narrower and hopefully by then I'll put the wheels that are on my current bike onto that bike as well.

But it got me thinking - is it possible to convert it to a 'road bike' and if so, how would I go about doing it? I'm happy enough with it being 11-28t cassette and a 48/32t chainring but curious if it's as simple as finding some SRAM 10 speed and hydraulic brake/shifters and adding on a set of drop bars. Is there more to it than that or should I just keep it as flat bars?

Associate
Strictly a gravel bike but will be used for commuting on the roads too, just ordered myself a Lapierre Crosshill and should hopefully have it towards the end of next week.

Been wanting to get something a bit more road orientated but still usable on my commute that's about 40% gravel paths if I take the quieter, more scenic route off the main roads. Chunky tyres on a MTB were hard work with no need for such grip levels so reckon the hardtail will be sold on to make room. Plus means I can get some fitness rides in when I dont fancy a full day on the MTB

Soldato
A question for the more handy around here...

I currently have this bike sat around doing nothing productive. Wont be needed to be back in use for next summer but I'd like to turn it into the 'baby bike' for use with a baby seat. When I got it, it was the wrong size so I'll get it a full service and change the handle bars to be a bit narrower and hopefully by then I'll put the wheels that are on my current bike onto that bike as well.

But it got me thinking - is it possible to convert it to a 'road bike' and if so, how would I go about doing it? I'm happy enough with it being 11-28t cassette and a 48/32t chainring but curious if it's as simple as finding some SRAM 10 speed and hydraulic brake/shifters and adding on a set of drop bars. Is there more to it than that or should I just keep it as flat bars?
it depends.
what do you think would make it a "road bike"?
I'd say some drop leavers and bars should be all you need personally. which is an option, new bars will start at around £50 but those shifters will start at about £150 for second hand and £250 for new.

Soldato
it depends.
what do you think would make it a "road bike"?
I'd say some drop leavers and bars should be all you need personally. which is an option, new bars will start at around £50 but those shifters will start at about £150 for second hand and £250 for new.

I just assumed some road bars and the shifters would do the trick to be honest but the shifters are proving to be much more expensive than I wanted to pay for such an old bike. I just really like riding on the hoods/drops but I don't want to put a baby seat on either my road bike or fixie.

I'm just being a bit of a fuss arse, I'm only going to be putting her on the back on casual rides so it's not like I'm going to be riding in the drops with a baby on the back. The hoods are so much more comfortable than regular bars though!

Soldato
I just assumed some road bars and the shifters would do the trick to be honest but the shifters are proving to be much more expensive than I wanted to pay for such an old bike. I just really like riding on the hoods/drops but I don't want to put a baby seat on either my road bike or fixie.

I'm just being a bit of a fuss arse, I'm only going to be putting her on the back on casual rides so it's not like I'm going to be riding in the drops with a baby on the back. The hoods are so much more comfortable than regular bars though!
then there's no reason to change it! it's a nice bike. keep it as is.

Soldato
I'll definitely change the bars as they're too wide for my liking but that's only a £20. I like meddling with things I have no reason to meddle with so I may change a few bits here and there but really I should just leave it as it is

I wont though :p

Soldato
How amazing does the weather look for this weekend?! What's everyone got planned?

For me, I'm shortly going to head out to a local favourite cafe stop in Watton-at-Stone. They owe me a cake! (I left a great review on Google Maps and they said they'd give me a cake next time I was in :cry: ) Today will only be about 45 miles as tomorrow is my first Sportive of the year 'Wares Cambridge?'... which is Ware to Cambridge, about 80 miles. Last year it was at quite a pace too! I don't feel as fast this year, so may let me club go on and I roll round at my own pace. Mind you, last year was at this event was perhaps the coldest I've been on a bike. I remember it snowing half way through! Looks better for tomorrow :)

Also, for those so inclined, Milan San Remo today :D WVA? Pogacar? (Sorry, should probably leave that for the pro cycling thread!) If you've never watched before though, I guess if you have Eurosport you can see it? 9am ish through to 4pm (it's a 300km single day race!). Or maybe for a first timer, look out for a highlights show later?

Soldato
Looks glorious.. yet I'm opting for a Zwift morning today and will be going out in the real world tomorrow. Did the A class of ToW last night, managed to take off 6.5 minutes off of my first Alpe d'Zwift time which I'm happy with considering there were an additional 7 miles on top of what I done last time.

Going to attempt the 3 sisters now, hoping my legs are up for it. Then tomorrow will be a nice easy flat 30-40 miles just getting some fresh air in.

Soldato
Looks glorious.. yet I'm opting for a Zwift morning today

I don't really get this, you'll need to explain it to me :cry: Right now I'm in a WhatsApp group with the people going Mallorca next weekend and one guy did a 3hr 45m indoor session this morning. Why?!

1OgKFO6.jpg

5WzPQRk.jpg

Bl5CcVy.jpg

It's possibly the perfect weather for outdoors. Why would you waste it inside?!

Soldato
c'mon @AndyCr15 don't call me out for making terrible life choices! My bike was set up and ready to go and I fancied ticking off another route and had I did an outdoor ride today and indoor one tomorrow or whenever next, I couldn't be bothered to clean my bike after :p

Taking the dog out for a walk now and will do a real world cycle tomorrow. I only managed 2 hours on the trainer before feeling like my legs were screaming at me, hope I haven't ruined tomorrow :D

Soldato
I don't really get this, you'll need to explain it to me :cry: Right now I'm in a WhatsApp group with the people going Mallorca next weekend and one guy did a 3hr 45m indoor session this morning. Why?!

Was a bit windy today so did 1 hour 45 indoors with a movie. :cry: It's been 6 months since my bike has seen the outdoors but will be seeing some action this week as I'm off work until April. :D

Back
Top Bottom