Road Cycling

Caporegime
I tried to change my bottom bracket, the old came off fine.

I cleaned the threads on the frame with a tooth brush and got what looked like particles of dirt out, I rubbed them with my finger and one thread felt a tiny bit rough but I thought **** it and tried to fit the new BB anyway...

It went about 3/4 of the way in fine then started to feel a bit tight, so I took it all the way back out and one single thread on the bottom bracket was coated in metal wtf....

The old Bottom bracket went back on totally fine like a glove no stiffness at all for the full way in then just torqued it back up to 40Nm.

I'm 99% I didn't damage the threads, it was on super hard though I had to get my wrench a few taps with a mallet to loosen it so maybe technically I damaged the thread, but only because they did it too tight in the first place :p.

since the single strand of damaged thread seems to have became stuck on my new BB.... I guess if I bought yet another BB it will go on fine right? since the old one went back on smooth until it hit the frame.

I guess I should just take it a shop, tell them to change the BB and warn them it needs refacing? pretty much any bike shop should have a refacing tool?

67033716544-125-CA5-A0-8-ED7-4985-9-D1-F-9-DB775449-C8-B.jpg

Not quite a road bike, more gravel focused but it's my first bike ever that doesn't have a suspension fork, so its close! Commuter and weekend gravel rides planned.

doods got no pedals :D I just bought some of these (flat pedals though and not clipless) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0942L3Z4Q

I'm also Merida but cylocross from 2014 gmFyr1Q.jpg
It's been sat idle for the last couple of years until now, I never had any issues with it at all in the 2500miles I did on it.
Everything is still original apart from the pedals, chain , tyres and one inner tube.

I'd probably go Merida again if I were buying another bike, everythings still solid, no headtube movement, no wheel movement, no crank play etc.

I bashed the hell out of it on bumpy dirt paths quite a lot too

BTW if your bike has eyelets for mudguards you will probably want to fit some ;)

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Lovely weather for a ride today. Ended up going out in full length bibs, lightly insulated full sleeve top and a thermal gilet and only overheated a few times. Beautifully sunny for much of the ride but still a bit nippy, especially on the fast downhills in the shade. Was great to get out with a few friends as well as its so much nicer just going for a leisurely ride with friends instead of on my own.

Soldato
I can't remember if I said, but I spent a good hour or so (and left soaking overnight) cleaning my chain this week -

rKCaywj.jpg

Then applied some expensive wax coating and I've never had such a quiet drive chain! I love it! I can only really hear the tyres on the road now!

Had a ride today with my (younger, fitter and faster) mate for the first time in about 6 months and had to work hard to keep up with him for 100k, but pretty much did (Of the 139 ride in the last two years of over 40 miles, this was my second fastest!). As said above, lovely morning for it when in the sun.

Soldato
I tried to change my bottom bracket, the old came off fine.

I cleaned the threads on the frame with a tooth brush and got what looked like particles of dirt out, I rubbed them with my finger and one thread felt a tiny bit rough but I thought **** it and tried to fit the new BB anyway...

It went about 3/4 of the way in fine then started to feel a bit tight, so I took it all the way back out and one single thread on the bottom bracket was coated in metal wtf....

The old Bottom bracket went back on totally fine like a glove no stiffness at all for the full way in then just torqued it back up to 40Nm.

I'm 99% I didn't damage the threads, it was on super hard though I had to get my wrench a few taps with a mallet to loosen it so maybe technically I damaged the thread, but only because they did it too tight in the first place :p.

since the single strand of damaged thread seems to have became stuck on my new BB.... I guess if I bought yet another BB it will go on fine right? since the old one went back on smooth until it hit the frame.

I guess I should just take it a shop, tell them to change the BB and warn them it needs refacing? pretty much any bike shop should have a refacing tool?

doods got no pedals :D I just bought some of these (flat pedals though and not clipless) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0942L3Z4Q

I'm also Merida but cylocross from 2014 It's been sat idle for the last couple of years until now, I never had any issues with it at all in the 2500miles I did on it.
Everything is still original apart from the pedals, chain , tyres and one inner tube.

I'd probably go Merida again if I were buying another bike, everythings still solid, no headtube movement, no wheel movement, no crank play etc.

I bashed the hell out of it on bumpy dirt paths quite a lot too

BTW if your bike has eyelets for mudguards you will probably want to fit some ;)

Did the new BB have loads of thread lock on it? Most UN55 or UN300 get tight as you go through the lock thread. If you're 100% sure you've started it threading in straight then go in half a turn, back off a quarter, go in half a turn until it's in there home.

Most BBs are press fit these days so a shop with a BB tap might be hard to find to get the threads chased. A facing tool is for making sure the faces of the BB are flat rather than tidying up threads.

Soldato
Anyone spots any Continental GP5000 S TR in 28mm for less than £75 let me know. Everywhere is out of stock, or higher price, or only has the 30mm in at the 'cheap' price.

Who'd have thought buying tyres at £70 would be considered 'cheap'!

Seriously considering going the Pirelli P Zero TLR route instead. Anyone using them? I need hookless tyres for my summer wheels (Zipp 303 S). Also considered Goodyear Eagle F1's but very on the fence over the 2 as both brands I've not used before (on a bike) so the cheaper Pirelli is currently winning me over... But £130 is still a high price for a pair of tyres as far as I'm concerned!

Okay folks, transport advice. I have the bike box for flying, I have the biggest estate boot you can get for just nipping out to a different start location (drop the back seats and the bike just slides in), but now I might be taking 3 others down to the coast at Easter and would love to take the bike with me. I'm thinking, take the wheels off and the bike will easily fit in the boot. I know you can get wheel bags, but what about the frame? Maybe just get this? I'm almost tempted to just get wheel bags, then have the frame upside down, resting on handlebars, with a blanket covering it for protection?
How about one of the little cheapy bootlid type carriers? We have one in the back of our car (fiesta) so either of us can go 'rescue' the other for any reason. Obviously being a fiesta, very tricky to get a bike in the boot, pretty much impossible these days with the kid seat in there too! :rolleyes:

I guess the blanket option is easy, but be very careful (use red spacers!) of your disk calipers closing if you knock a lever - easily done if other things are in the boot too...

I like the idea (although depends on the height?) of having it resting inverted - as frees up loads of room for other peoples luggage, as I bet you'll all have some...!?

67033716544-125-CA5-A0-8-ED7-4985-9-D1-F-9-DB775449-C8-B.jpg

Not quite a road bike, more gravel focused but it's my first bike ever that doesn't have a suspension fork, so its close! Commuter and weekend gravel rides planned.
Nice! Love the colour. I'm also a gravel bike rider, but mine is only ridden and treated as a road bike.

Sounds like you're at that point without being able to identify the issue yourself. Checked and double checked you got the right bb, with the right threads for the frame?

Most bike shops should have refacing tools, I would always assume! But you might be best to check with them first - seeing Jonny's comment, as he works in a shop!

Had a ride today with my (younger, fitter and faster) mate for the first time in about 6 months and had to work hard to keep up with him for 100k, but pretty much did (Of the 139 ride in the last two years of over 40 miles, this was my second fastest!). As said above, lovely morning for it when in the sun.
Which wax lube did you use? Looks super clean! Wonder how long that'll last! ;)

Mega ride mate, that speed, intensity and power over that distance is impressive! Bet you're feeling it today...!

Soldato
I can't remember if I said, but I spent a good hour or so (and left soaking overnight) cleaning my chain this week -

rKCaywj.jpg

Then applied some expensive wax coating and I've never had such a quiet drive chain! I love it! I can only really hear the tyres on the road now!

That looks superb. Is that red at the bottom of thr chain reflections? I must remember to buy a chain with a quick link next time. I've got another 750 mile left before I'm due to replace mine though.

Just been indoor riding for me the last few days. Partner is ready to pop so I've never wanted to be too far from home so it's just been Zwift for me.

Has anyone ever tried to pay off their cyclescheme early? Thinking of doing that.... just so I can get some shiny wheels. My plan was to wait until August/September but I'd like to enjoy the wheels outdoors a bit longer than a month or so before the weather turns sour.

Caporegime
Sounds like you're at that point without being able to identify the issue yourself. Checked and double checked you got the right bb, with the right threads for the frame?

Most bike shops should have refacing tools, I would always assume! But you might be best to check with them first - seeing Jonny's comment, as he works in a shop!
yea it was a English thread BB that should have been direct swap, I guess it had too much locktight crap on it, white stuff that looked a bit like plumbers tape.
I was really carefully turning it by hand then it got tight so I took it all the way back out and noticed one thread on the new BB was silver :O

felt inside of bike frame and BB threads were a bit rough to the touch, I got my original BB back on perfectly fine anyway so must just be 1-2 threads damaged only.

I googled a lot last night and saw there's 2nd hand bike shop/charity place that will do thread chasing for £10 anyway.

their prices are crazy reasonable compared to what all the bike shops charge for stuff around here.
https://recyke.bike/servicing/

also says they have a public stand if people want to do their own repairs :O bet it's a good way for them to get some cash donations though

Soldato
How about one of the little cheapy bootlid type carriers?

Yeah, I do have one, but it was for a coupe. I don't know how secure it would be on an estate.

Bet you're feeling it today...!

Thanks. Sunday, I went out and did another 50 miles :cry: But with some much slower people. I also had a huge amount of pasta and chips! Today though, felt really drained this morning. Today is a day off :cool:

Which wax lube did you use? Looks super clean! Wonder how long that'll last! ;)

It's called CeramicSpeed UFO Drip and was about £30 for a bottle, so not cheap. Not sure how long it will last, we'll see I guess.

That looks superb. Is that red at the bottom of thr chain reflections?

Thanks. Yeah, just reflection.

**EDIT** Thinking about it, the photo might have been before the wax went on, but tbh, it didn't look that different once it had soaked in, spun a little and wiped off.

Fitted new cleats Saturday night too. You can't beat that click in with new cleats!

Soldato
Well, first ride on the new tyres after a mobile mechanic got them on with ease. He was round servicing the wifes bike and generally seems very good/helpful whilst also being reasonably priced.

Glad i changed, whilst i had some nerves given it's wet and it's my first time on proper road tyres i wasn't sure how sketchy it might be, but needn't have worried. Got home and average pace was ~1.5mph faster than my last ride along the same route despite not riding since early January. Strava also shows multiple PR's!

Next step is to finally fit the hybrid pedals (clip one side, flat the other), and fit the cleats to some shoes i bought to see if it works for me.

Had forgotten how nice it was to be out on the bike. I really need to setup a training calendar and try and work out the best times for everything whilst ensuring adequate recovery.

Soldato
Has anyone ever tried to pay off their cyclescheme early? Thinking of doing that.... just so I can get some shiny wheels. My plan was to wait until August/September but I'd like to enjoy the wheels outdoors a bit longer than a month or so before the weather turns sour.

Can't you run multiple cycleschemes at once? I'd have thought any method that allows you to pay it off early may forgo any tax savings.

Soldato
Can't you run multiple cycleschemes at once? I'd have thought any method that allows you to pay it off early may forgo any tax savings.

potentially but I'm not 100% sure as my workplace placed a limit of £1500 per staff member on the scheme. My original order was only £550 anyway so by this point I think there is only something left like £200 so I wouldn't mind just paying to get it over with and get some new wheels sooner. Otherwise by the time
I get them I'll only have a few months/weeks of nice weather to benefit from them. Mind you, with how things are progressing I may not even get much time at all!

partner is in for induction so there's no real rush for them. I just want new stuff haha

Soldato
yea it was a English thread BB that should have been direct swap, I guess it had too much locktight crap on it, white stuff that looked a bit like plumbers tape.
Sounds idea to get it refaced for that and easy money to charity!

I was mainly hinting at making sure you'd got the right threaded BB for the frame thread. At least you seem aware of the differences... I've no experience, just know there are some!

Sure what you can see on the BB isn't just that locktite stuck in the thread?

Fitted new cleats Saturday night too. You can't beat that click in with new cleats!
Haha, or the last minute feeling "will I be able to get out of them" when they're marginally harder to unclip! :cry:

Had forgotten how nice it was to be out on the bike. I really need to setup a training calendar and try and work out the best times for everything whilst ensuring adequate recovery.
I wouldn't overly worry until you're doing several days on the bounce and starting to feel flat. You're a runner too if I recall? You'll already be fairly 'in tune' with your body and feelings from that anyway. Go by feel, at least until you have a bit more of an idea what you're capable of, what you're trying to focus/achieve alongside building in some active recovery rides into your cycling to help you recover from the running.

partner is in for induction so there's no real rush for them. I just want new stuff haha
You'll have something new pretty soon then! Goodluck!

Not quite as shiney and a little short on branding, but kinda just as exciting (or should be!) lol :D

Soldato
@Roady yeah I run.

it’s more to try and plan out activities. I’d like to add more strength workouts too so fitting in cycling, strength and then still getting a lot of running in would probably benefit from some planning to ensure I’m not doing too much close together or trying to do a long bike ride the day after a massive hill running session!

Basically I need more hours in the day!

Soldato
Yep! Looking forward to it :)

Yes, will be my first Century ride and first Sportive on closed roads

I did the 2019 ride as part of the London Classic (old route) and it was excellent. The peloton speed that naturally pulled you along was a real eye opener. Worth 20mph by my calculations at the time. Not all roads are closed though, in the real world sense, as you come back into London, you are sometimes held up in waves to allow pedestrians or cross traffic to pass through. Might be different with this route, but something to be mindful of.

Associate
I did the 2019 ride as part of the London Classic (old route) and it was excellent. The peloton speed that naturally pulled you along was a real eye opener. Worth 20mph by my calculations at the time. Not all roads are closed though, in the real world sense, as you come back into London, you are sometimes held up in waves to allow pedestrians or cross traffic to pass through. Might be different with this route, but something to be mindful of.

Noted thanks. Hoping to get an early start time so as not to get caught up at any pinch points too much (Put down 5-6 hour expected time when i registered). My normal endurance riding speed on semi hilly routes is around 17mph (when i try and stick to the top of Zone 2) so hoping the draft from other rides will pull this upto nearly 20mph

Longest ride ive done to date is 130km, so slowly building up my training volume each week (family committments allowing)

Garmin-training-load.png

FYI you can see road closures here: https://www.ridelondon.co.uk/road-closures/road-closure-information but as you say it doesn't probably go into the detail for crossing points

Last edited:
Soldato
Basically I need more hours in the day!
You're spot on about having a bit of a plan to structure various workloads like that. I've a friend who runs, tends to alternate his run/ride days and most of his riding is on Zwift. Still there's some weeks he'll taper both slightly to get more recovery in (shorter runs & less work in TTT's). Especially now as he's dragged me onto a Tuesday night TTT's on RGT. So he's doing 2x TTT, 1 other ride and 3x runs a week. I don't know how he manages it with a family of 5 and 3 jobs! The logistics must be insane!

Anyone else doing the London ride?
How easy is it to get a spot? As tricky as it's always been - or even far worse now?

Anyone hears of a spot let me know, might be interested - nothing more than 'ticking it off' and to say I've done it! Also happy to be someone's domestique and tow them around (if I have the legs!) :cry:

Was in London over the weekend, there's been quite a change there since I was last there 5-6 years ago. Seems even more amount of fantastic bike paths and cyclists everywhere. Roads seem even quieter of traffic than I remember too! My 4 year old LOVED it - buses, trains, the underground & even a boat trip. Must go back for the Natural History museum, we hadn't realised how big it was so didn't allow ourselves enough time to get around more than just the dinosaurs.

Although my feet are in bits - 3 days in London, 48,000 steps. I barely do 12k total most weeks! It is nice and warm there though, back to the cold and rain of Herefordshire this morning was a shock. Got soaked!

My local hitters are out in Majorca, looks like they got the great weather! https://www.strava.com/activities/6955005705/segments/2947899342763421966

Last edited:
Soldato
You're spot on about having a bit of a plan to structure various workloads like that. I've a friend who runs, tends to alternate his run/ride days and most of his riding is on Zwift. Still there's some weeks he'll taper both slightly to get more recovery in (shorter runs & less work in TTT's). Especially now as he's dragged me onto a Tuesday night TTT's on RGT. So he's doing 2x TTT, 1 other ride and 3x runs a week. I don't know how he manages it with a family of 5 and 3 jobs! The logistics must be insane!

Yeah, i'm always in awe of people who cram so much into a day. I follow a guy called Mark Lewis on Youtube and he's similar. He'll do 3 workouts a day, his day job, edit youtube videos and manage a family and sometimes he'll post a schedule and my brain melts.

Back
Top Bottom