Road Cycling

Soldato
Had bought some Shimano hybrid pedals and some cheap cleats back in October which I never fitted.

I’ve just decided to stick them on so I look forward to joining the club and falling off to become a “proper” cyclist.

Have also very kindly decided to get my wife a new bike instead of me. I think she’d benefit from an upgrade more than me. Especially moving from a front hub electric motor on a cheap Barracuda bike to a mid drive bike which would be better weighted.

Especially with the Nexus internal hubs which allow gear changes whilst stationary. That’s a new one to me but sounds superb.

Soldato
Solid opener to the TT season. Doing the Spanish approach, don’t ride it for 9 months, roll it out the shed pump the tyres up and show up….

Felt a lot better than expected on the bike, I wouldn’t say good, but not bad either. No idea how I was going to perform, I’ve been doing some regular road riding and hill efforts.

Rolled a 22:01 and pushed 306w average. A little slow for the watts looking at previous times, good conditions but it was cold & no push off. Didn’t stop about 4-5 guys going quicker than me!

I started feeling it at about 15 minutes and was stuck between gears, couldn’t quite push the higher gear I wanted, but recovered a touch and came home OK. Apart from adding more watts not sure if I can improve much. I have tried narrower elbow pads but it restricted breathing a little and limited power, maybe narrower pads and taller/thinner is more aero but just trial and error without a wind tunnel.

Soldato
In the last few weeks, after longer rides I've had the soles of my feet feel a little like they're bruised. My shoes are only maybe a couple of years old and quite pricey, so wouldn't be expecting to change them so soon. Is this a common thing? I've not had it before? I don't know I would fit in soles in there, also, aren't they supposed to be quite firm for power transfer etc?

Soldato
Your shoes shouldn’t change, certainly not the soles. Been riding more/further/hotter than usual? Different socks or anything else?

Had a look at when I set my TT PB times, repeatedly under 21 mins. Mid July/August, coming off the back of some big summer training rides inc a 190k all dayer!

Soldato
Ticked my Cube over the 60000 mile mark the other week. It's properly trigger's broom by this point though!

BB needed changing (could wobble it) so I fortunately managed to get a mobile repair guy out to me within a few days and change it at my place. Pretty decent. Unfortunately, it's still creaking especially in small gear. Go to investigate today and discover that the aftermarket chainring bolt I had to use a year or so ago due to supply issues has stripped itself. Sigh! Hopefully, chainring bolts are not in such short supply this time.

Another problem.. The front brake retaining nut (in the fork) is 40mm long. I can't find >35mm anywhere. The nut head is rounded a fair bit so I'm reluctant to remove and replace it without a solution. I asked Cube but received no real help besides "try a Cube dealer". Cube Dealer was no help either. I wonder if I can just get away with a 35mm retaining nut :/

Soldato
In the last few weeks, after longer rides I've had the soles of my feet feel a little like they're bruised. My shoes are only maybe a couple of years old and quite pricey, so wouldn't be expecting to change them so soon. Is this a common thing? I've not had it before? I don't know I would fit in soles in there, also, aren't they supposed to be quite firm for power transfer etc?
Possible that your insoles are wearing out, or could just be a case of riding further/hillier routes?

Soldato
Anyone else doing the London ride?

Was thinking about it through the work charity. I need to confirm by 4pm and 'raise as much as I can'. I'd have rather sealed bid auction for the slot rather then fund rasing which I don't think I'll do justice for it and have told them as such. The other issue I can see is the potential for a 6am start in London which is too early for the trains so would need to drive.

Soldato
Ticked my Cube over the 60000 mile mark the other week. It's properly trigger's broom by this point though!

BB needed changing (could wobble it) so I fortunately managed to get a mobile repair guy out to me within a few days and change it at my place. Pretty decent. Unfortunately, it's still creaking especially in small gear. Go to investigate today and discover that the aftermarket chainring bolt I had to use a year or so ago due to supply issues has stripped itself. Sigh! Hopefully, chainring bolts are not in such short supply this time.

Another problem.. The front brake retaining nut (in the fork) is 40mm long. I can't find >35mm anywhere. The nut head is rounded a fair bit so I'm reluctant to remove and replace it without a solution. I asked Cube but received no real help besides "try a Cube dealer". Cube Dealer was no help either. I wonder if I can just get away with a 35mm retaining nut :/

Something like one of these (which lists in 40mm)?

Soldato
@Junglist

Heads up for you of a genius plan! My work Cycle 2 Work scheme doesn't open till June and then it takes a couple weeks to get the voucher. I spoke to a local bike shop which had stock and they agreed to let me buy the bike now and then get refunded in exchange for the C2W voucher in 2 months time.

Maybe you could try that for your wheels, that way you get the benefit now, but technically wait a few months before using the voucher!

Unsure how long they might offer to wait though and worth noting that some shops wouldn't do it, yet others would. Even within the same group. A store in Staveley in the Lakes wouldn't, yet their sister branch in Ilkley would. Even though the bike is in Staveley and needs to be transported over for me to collect.

Some companies operate on madness. Similarly, they said they are charged 15% by Halfords for the scheme. I asked whether i could just get 15% discount to buy it direct and they said no as the max discount is 10%.

Soldato
@Roady - I'm just glad I bought a trainer when I did. It's made life very easy to just hop on it when both baby and partner are napping.
Yeah I was the same - still am now 4.5 years later to some extent! The convenience of it meant I rode more frequently back then, plus the same now. From that I've seen a steady increase in performances and just have a solid base of fitness from riding regularly.

Hmm, I've won the wheels, but according to Strava I've never done the Alpe du Zwift segment... I think it's been when I've Zwifted alongside something else (either SYSTM or actual road cycling) and deleted the Strava ride afterwards. Is there any way in Zwift to tell how many times I did it to get the wheels?
Nope, not from Zwift, although Zwiftpower might have something (worth looking at - there's a filter to select 'Me') although mine only shows a single ascent from 2019 and I did it earlier this year which doesn't show - other segments do show multiples. You'd have to tally them up yourself. The only 'native' way to see the total number I'm aware of is through Strava segments - https://www.strava.com/segments/17267489 (mine shows 5 - but I've done 7), so your options without are certainly far more limited...

Solid opener to the TT season. Doing the Spanish approach, don’t ride it for 9 months, roll it out the shed pump the tyres up and show up….

Felt a lot better than expected on the bike, I wouldn’t say good, but not bad either. No idea how I was going to perform, I’ve been doing some regular road riding and hill efforts.

Rolled a 22:01 and pushed 306w average. A little slow for the watts looking at previous times, good conditions but it was cold & no push off. Didn’t stop about 4-5 guys going quicker than me!
Good work mate and good numbers straight onto the rig - or have you been practicing the position indoors?! Kudos!

I've not had any foot pain since a Bike fit picked up my hips rolling as I pedalled due to my foot arches collapsing, insoles fitted and it fixed things almost immediately and I've ridden the same ones ever since for several years (had a set for each pair of shoes).

Snap a pic of it. I recall checking something a while back for you - think length of the ones I had but can't recall the outcome. I've certainly got several different ones of varying colour (silver/black) still in my bits tin - can check again.
30mm looks common enough if that's what we're talking about (I think so!)... Did come across these Titanium ones which are longer lengths - are they all 5mm allen?

Was thinking about it through the work charity. I need to confirm by 4pm and 'raise as much as I can'. I'd have rather sealed bid auction for the slot rather then fund rasing which I don't think I'll do justice for it and have told them as such. The other issue I can see is the potential for a 6am start in London which is too early for the trains so would need to drive.
Enjoy! Maybe catch you another year. As for London'ing consider staying out and then riding in on the morning of, or a 'not-as-early' train? Would solve possible high parking charges/congestion costs and possibly give you some more early train options.

Soldato
Enjoy! Maybe catch you another year. As for London'ing consider staying out and then riding in on the morning of, or a 'not-as-early' train? Would solve possible high parking charges/congestion costs and possibly give you some more early train options.

Thanks. Feeling a bit guilty about having the spot as while I made a strong personal donation for it, it's not as much as I know their target would have been for the space. I'm going to see if I can get a few people to donate with the aim of matching my donation and then shouldn't be a million miles off their target. Not going to be pushy though, as we are all feeling the pinch at the moment with energy prices and increased tax in our last pay packet.

Hopefully the early start isn't going to be a factor and I can get the first train up. Otherwise I have scoped a couple of on street parking locations within a sensible distance or even better if a friend is willing, I can borrow his sofa as he has a prime location for the start.

Soldato
@#Chri5# @Roady Thanks. I hadn't spotted the titanium ones on a search before. They'll probably suffice for me!

Regarding the RideLondon. I live out in West London and even for me it was going to be a pain to get to the Excel proper early in the morning. I stayed in university halls that were closed for summer - Queen Mary University. It was pretty cheap too if I recall correctly, bike in room. All good.

Soldato
I stayed in university halls that were closed for summer - Queen Mary University. It was pretty cheap too if I recall correctly, bike in room. All good.
That's not a bad idea. I'm in the same boat, North London, but it could be a pain getting in in the morning. Booking something nearby, especially if they have parking, could be a really good idea.

Soldato
Superb weather for a long ride on a day off for a change, I'm on my way back from riding a nice hilly route from Warminster train station, cost me £12 return in the recent ticket sale! :eek:

Soldato
Roady I just rolled the bike out as I’d left it and hopped on… looking at my historic times I have more to be gained from being narrow than lower. Maybe I am just wide hahah. No TT this week as organiser isn’t well so called off, hill reps instead.

Back
Top Bottom