Road Cycling

Associate
I'll be in group K for the ride London 100 (715 arrival for 755 start). Which means I can get the first train up into London with plenty of time to get to the starting pen.

Plenty of time to fuel stationary too. 5am wake up and porridge at home, 630am banana on the train, flapjack in the starting pen.
snap, i have the same start time.

fez

fez

Caporegime
You should be doing an OcUK meetup for sure!

Anyone else have issues remembering to pump up your tyres before a ride. Just went out and had to cut my ride short because I realised about 3km in that my tyres were very flat. I thought I was just having a bad day but front was at 35 and rear at 30psi. Should be ~60F+R.

Don't want to be damaging my fancy new carbon wheels from my own stupidity!

Soldato
I've just checked overground trains and it looks like I can get a train in from New Barnet at 6:46am on RideLondon morning and it will get me into Waterloo for 8:02am. Email says as long as you've started by 9:10am, so should leave plenty of time. Will then get the train home again, apparently for about £10 total. Seems like a plan!

Soldato
I've just checked overground trains and it looks like I can get a train in from New Barnet at 6:46am on RideLondon morning and it will get me into Waterloo for 8:02am. Email says as long as you've started by 9:10am, so should leave plenty of time. Will then get the train home again, apparently for about £10 total. Seems like a plan!

Definitely a good shout leaving the train south of the river. I won't have that luxury but London bridge looks ok to get to with the road closures and then I can travel west on the south side and over Westminster bridge.

Soldato
A sensible thing would've been to also add a cycle path that side, so the cycle path directly crosses the road and continues that side to the camps main entrance (even better if they built an extended slip road there for the increased traffic - busy mornings there is a 0.5 mile queue to enter the camp)

Funny I mentioned that, as on Tuesday I was greeted on that stretch of road with an ambulance coming head on my side of the road with it's lights on overtaking the queue of cars. I stopped and got on the pavement to let him through, no idea what he did ~20m behind me with following traffic but really not my problem!

You going for older 11 speed or newer 12 speed. If they ever get around to releasing a 12 speed 105 I might bite in future. I want that tidy cockpit with just the hydraulics going into the frame. Much easier to set up as well.

Older 11 speed has 2 versions, there is an even older 10 speed too... With Di2 you have several different generations, only some of which is cross compatible...

The main compatability issue you have is wire types/sizes/connectors, although you can convert between them, you have to judge of it's better to stick to 1 type. Like in my case fitting new SD300 wires, then needing to buy a £20-25 converter for each thing I'm plugging in (cheaper to just change wires!)

- Original 10 speed Di2, think 6770, it was a 5 wire design I think? Not compatible with anything else.
- 11 speed Di2, 6870, 8070, 9070 etc use a 2 wire design, everything is compatible with each other but there are various quirks. Technically the 6770 shifters are compatible, but the 6770 RD isn't and the 6770 FD has a firmware issue with the newest shifters - so may as well say they're not (apart from saying the 6770 shifters are 11 speed compatible).
- 'older' 6800, 7900, 9150 - SD50 has larger connectors?
- 'newer' 8100, 9200 SD300 has the smaller connectors?
- 12 speed 8150 although technically compatible with any of the 2 wire cables above the hydraulic version of the shifters are also wireless compatible.

So I think I'm using the SD50 wiring (rather than the newer SD300) as that's what my non-series Shifters (R785) use. I have R8050 RD & FD which I think use the same SD50. As the handlebar connector will be SD50 I think that means I'm limited to only using the stem mounted external one and not the newer internal bar-end one with the Y cable (SD300). Di2 guru's!?

Batteries as well, 2 different types of the internal seatpost mounted one. Version 1 is the DN110 is SD50 connector, Version 2 is the BTDN300 is SD300 connector.

Anyone else have issues remembering to pump up your tyres before a ride. Just went out and had to cut my ride short because I realised about 3km in that my tyres were very flat.
I don't have that problem but I am regularly riding, also Tubeless and lower pressure (35-50 psi) so any leakage is so minor it's barely noticable week to week. I probably top up every time I'm cleaning or doing maintenance, or lubing chain, so maybe every 2-3-4 weeks?

If it's a continued problem then @AndyCr15 loves his Tyrewiz (think it has a light or sends you an alert when pressure is outside of a boundry you can set): https://www.sram.com/en/quarq/models/wh-trwz-a1

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I love them. They flash red if too low, but usually I just see it on my Wahoo...

Lovely day for a ride today. Started early, with a couple of mates and smashed out 104 miles!

This RideLondon thing is getting to me. I don't know I cba with the getting there and getting back afterwards. The last thing I will want after 100 miles is to have to mess about on public transport for an hour :( It doesn't help everyone I know is setting off a good hour before me too...

I know I need to just get over it and deal with it, but hmmm...

Associate
Minor frustration today.
Cycling into town approaching a left hand turn and a right hand bend afterwards.
I'm on my own in my lane with no vehicles behind and I've been in the middle of the lane for a a decent distance due to the corner coming up and usual protective riding to avoid someone taking the left turn Infront of me.
A bus pulls into my lane to overtake a parked bus in the opposite direction and starts beeping at me and pointing to the edge of the road... Clearly I was in their way, whilst they tried to overtake into oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady that all seems very complicated with DI2, although interesting to know.

I've seen a full groupset on Facebook for Dura Ace R9170 DI2 for what looks like an absolute steal, but it's all the individual issues/costs that might pop up with buying used and not knowing the details for sorting issues which i'd expect to be needed given how cheap it is!

Associate
Collecting my first non-mountain bike tomorrow and already planning rides. Lapierre Crosshill - a gravel bike really but seeing as they're just road bikes with fatter tyres this seemed like the place! Be ideal for the commute as I have the option of road or riverside paths to take, and getting out for fitness rides when I dont fancy the big bike.

Soldato
This RideLondon thing is getting to me. I don't know I cba with the getting there and getting back afterwards. The last thing I will want after 100 miles is to have to mess about on public transport for an hour :( It doesn't help everyone I know is setting off a good hour before me too...
Ride home :D
I rode home after the 2019 event but I made the mistake of uhh... trying to keep north of the river and going along embankment - where all the remaining riders will still riding towards me. I didn't really know any other route so just hopped on the pavement slowly until I found a suitable parallel road somewhere.

Soldato
Yeah, I love them. They flash red if too low, but usually I just see it on my Wahoo...

Lovely day for a ride today. Started early, with a couple of mates and smashed out 104 miles!

I know I need to just get over it and deal with it, but hmmm...
Just go already! You'll have a blast. I'm actually a bit jealous!

Two steps forward and one step back yesterday! My work have agreed to let me pay off my outstanding balance for my cycle-to-work certificate. Ace. Means I can get the ball rolling for my new wheels sooner than I thought. Have settled on the Zipp 404 Firecrests (cause they look cool more than anything else). They've been £1360 on Sigma for the best part of 3 months now. Yet when I checked again today, they've gone up to £1519... the limit on my works cyclescheme.... £1500. The 303 Firecrests are down to £1400-something so they're within the budget but really I had my heart set on the 404s.

Just going to get my certificate for the 1500 approved and wait a few weeks to see if it drops under £1500 again. Worst comes to worst I'll get the 303 as I'm sure it's a phenomenal wheelset compared to what I have right now (DT Swiss P1800) but the heart wants what the heart wants.

Just ranting out-loud to people who may care as my partner doesn't give two you know whats!

Soldato
Ride home :D

Yeah, I might try this. I had thought there was no way I could do the 100 miles PLUS the 24 or so that would be there and back. I did 104 miles yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I've ordered some new shoes, because tbh that's my only issue. My feet were so uncomfortable by the end of the ride. So, I'm wondering about getting the train in (nice and early will be quiet hopefully) and then cycling home after. If I really am shattered, I could look to get back on a train.

I even wondered about just peeling off near the end and heading home instead of coming all the way into town? What do I miss then? An official time? A medal?

Soldato
@Junglist perhaps give sigma a call and ask for a 20 quid discount. Reckon they will do it.
I'm half tempted to do that. Or at least see if there is some way they can let me pay the £20 and then do the rest on my C2W. I can't apply until June anyway but I'll be doing it as soon as possible. It may dip under the price again but with summer coming, I doubt it.
Can you use discount codes AND then C2W?

VXELEpY.png
Sadly not, supposedly you're not allowed to use discount codes with C2W on their t&c

edit: Spoke to Sigma, they said they'll let me pay the difference with a debit card. Panic over

Last edited:
Soldato
Could always see if they'll price match?

I don't think they'll price match when going through cyclescheme. There was a shop nearby who had them for 1300 but if I wanted to do cyclescheme I'd have to do the pre sale price.
You will come to realise that I am a font of wisdom.... occasionally.
It's partly your fault and the pressure which has got me wanting to get my wheels sooner :cry:

Seeing as you done yours recently. How easy was it to set up? Wondering if I need to get a new fancy track stand pump or if my current one will do it. Probably need to get a better one anyway but just starting to buy bits now. Accepting that I may now not get the tan tyres right away

Back
Top Bottom