Road Cycling

Soldato
Hopefully my work pull their finger out and just pay it this week! Luckily the weather is looking less than pleasant so I don't feel like I'm missing out too much. Baby is going through a patch at the moment where she seems to wake up every 20 minutes so I'd be too tired to even try anyway!

Yeah my partner has the MTB pedals on her bike and she's really not getting along with them. Her shoes support both 3 and 2 bolt cleats so will probably move her over to the shimano road ones. I have the ultegra pedals (I believe they're all the same) and they seem to be weighted at the back so clipping in is really, really easy once you get used to the pedal/cleat position. I used to have the old entry level SPD pedals years ago and I think they did the same but I'm not 100%

How's the riding and views going @AndyCr15 hope you're having a lot of fun over there!

Soldato
Yeah, amazing. Today was a rest day, so only a small Cat 2 climb! :eek::cry: Today's descent from Col d'Ornon was even better than yesterday down Glandon, but both were amazing (topping out around 48mph :rolleyes:

Yesterday as we came back to camp, someone swung out in front of us, so we all latched on behind, as we came off the last roundabout he tried to drop us... unsuccessfully. I noticed it was a segment (the only one I'd done both days) and we were quite high (600ish of 126,000) so today for a giggle we had a go at improving that...

We're just not organised enough to make the top 10 :cry:

Tomorrow is Alp d'Huez... I think I'm looking more for competition than a fast time!

Soldato
Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me! 42... Christ, not sure how that has happened?! Still consider myself 'young' (my knees would say otherwise), really does not seem like over half of my life as been after the year 2000! That was only a few years ago wasn't it!? :cry:

How on earth do you think bike shops remove bb bearings, Will power ?

It’s how you take them out, it’s not a big deal it’s just not a nice feeling doing it.
You missed the joke (will admit it was a bit of a ***** one)... ;)

But removing bearings from a bb without removing the bb from a carbon frame would use a press. Safer on a carbon frame, especially if intending to reuse the bb. But it is much easier and better to replace the whole BB, certainly PF as was being discussed. Obviously the current trend (Shimano/SRAM) make them partly of plastic, you don't want to be smacking that with a hammer if you're going to reuse it (not that shops do...)

I'm more impressed by the laptop wallpaper!
The table cover was the first bit which caught my eye!

We went to the Alps on our honeymoon in 2012 for the first time since I was a kid. We didn’t get in till the very early hours and woke up at about 11am the next morning, seeing the mountains in the sunlight that first day was honestly one of the best moments in my life. Will remember it forever.

Apologies for the random interlude. Normal service will resume shortly.
Had similar our first time in Bulgaria, horrendous long coach transfer up into the mountains at night on rough roads. Stumbled into the hotel at 1am. Woke up to this view. But roads there where horrible, think the only place we've been to up in the mountains I'd want to ride is Andorra. Just glorious smooth roads, really quiet for traffic and just switchbacks or wide open main roads through tunnels everywhere - much of it like Andy's picture below!

Amazing pictures mate, enjoy your trip! Very jealous! :D

Anything specific to look for in Cycling sunglasses?

I wouldn't mind some with changeable lenses or the photochromic style to allow me to use them on night rides too. Mainly for protecting my eyes after getting a few big chunks of grit/bugs in them last week!

I was looking last week and kept getting scope creep, before deciding i didn't need to spend £70 and got some cheap ones from Halfords for £12 which seem rubbish and will be going straight back. There seem to be a huge range of options. How good are some of the Amazon specials or should i stick to the likes of DHB/Tifosi which seem to sit around the £50 mark?
I had several pairs of the DHB Triple lens, they're really good for the money. Tended to replace them the last few years when using knockoff Oakleys (Foakleys!) as I prefer the bigger lens size of Jawbreakers. Cheap glasses with a clear lens for winter/spring riding (and usually commuting). But did move back to an old pair of the triple this winter after I broke a frame. Got a fresh pair of Foakleys coming shortly... Will report back once I've received and worn them. First thing I'll do is switch a genuine lens into them to check sizings, bending the frames around a bit and checking all the mechanisms as will get an idea how much abuse they can take.

I believe some of the Shimano pedals have weights which generally hold the pedal in the right position which would be good.

Only downside was i adjusted the tension on the first pedal i fitted, but then forgot to do it on the other side, so getting into the office this morning i couldn't twist out. Had to take the shoe off and then use my hands to really force the twist!
Shimano SPD-SL ('road cleats') and Look Keo tend to be weighted the same, so generally the 'same' trick to get into them. It's just the pedals 'sit' with the rear mechanism pointing to the floor as it's heaviest part of the pedal.

Tension is certainly something worth keeping 'loose' until you're very confident using them. I have mine about 50% after many years of riding, I do have them wound up tighter on my Zwift setup - but don't fall off there if I can't unclip!

Yeah my partner has the MTB pedals on her bike and she's really not getting along with them. Her shoes support both 3 and 2 bolt cleats so will probably move her over to the shimano road ones. I have the ultegra pedals (I believe they're all the same) and they seem to be weighted at the back so clipping in is really, really easy once you get used to the pedal/cleat position. I used to have the old entry level SPD pedals years ago and I think they did the same but I'm not 100%
Entry level SPD, or entry level SPD-SL? They have not really changed the last 10+ years

Yesterday as we came back to camp, someone swung out in front of us, so we all latched on behind, as we came off the last roundabout he tried to drop us... unsuccessfully. I noticed it was a segment (the only one I'd done both days) and we were quite high (600ish of 126,000) so today for a giggle we had a go at improving that...

We're just not organised enough to make the top 10 :cry:
You need a longer leadout and as a group to get up-to speed more. Looking on Strava the section you're riding is really short, extend it so people can ride more smoothly up-to full power before they blow/peel off. The massive surge to get up-to speed from stationary hurts everyone, so spend longer doing it, less of a spike, less of a blow up and more strong 'emptying the tank' type efforts will add more speed to the group.

Last edited:
Soldato
Happy Birthday @Roady, i will expect to see a post in about a weeks time quoting everyone and thanking them :p

Have just booked a bike fit with a local physio. Whilst i don't think it's overly necessary. The fact i can claim it back as "Physio" from my healthcare cash plan meant it made sense. It's also coming to the end of the renewal year and so a case of "use it or lose it"

Soldato
Also, just as a note from something i just read, and from Andys video above. I never wear gloves on the bike unless riding in the cold. However i've just read they're useful for absorbing vibrations and generally helping.

Is this also something i should be thinking about?

Soldato
Amazing pictures mate, enjoy your trip! Very jealous! :D
Thanks, yes, this photo has got a lot of compliments. The guys coming up the road are part of our group too, so that's nice.
You need a longer leadout and as a group to get up-to speed more. Looking on Strava the section you're riding is really short, extend it so people can ride more smoothly up-to full power before they blow/peel off. The massive surge to get up-to speed from stationary hurts everyone, so spend longer doing it, less of a spike, less of a blow up and more strong 'emptying the tank' type efforts will add more speed to the group.
As we came back from today's ride, we had the almost perfect lead up to the roundabout, hitting pretty much max as we approached, all nicely lined up... but just as we approached, two cars came round us and the first one decided to stop, even though nothing was coming :( We came back and had another go, the organisation was better, but like you say, we had to power up to speed in too short a time and we all missed our max power in the segment itself. It was a shame, as we timed the releasing of the next guy really well each time. Still did a 22s mind you. We only actually need 1s for 10th place. If we hit everything right, I'm sure we'd get it.

Also... Happy Birthday :)

Soldato
Also, just as a note from something i just read, and from Andys video above. I never wear gloves on the bike unless riding in the cold. However i've just read they're useful for absorbing vibrations and generally helping.

I almost always do, but I then have the most ridiculous tan line from arm onto pasty white hands. I rode without up the Alp yesterday (I did a 1:22:17, which I'm reasonably pleased with) to try and balance things out, which is fine at low speeds. They do cushion some vibration, but probably my main reason is in case of an off. The first thing you often to is reach out with your hands, I'd rather have some gloves on then...

In fact, on Alp d'Huez, I didn't think it was as hard or pretty as some of the other climbs we've done. I guess it's just the most famous.

Soldato
The only time I’ve enjoyed climbing Alpe d’Huez is first thing in the morning. Later in the day it’s so busy with traffic and it gets brutally hot, plus it’s not particularly scenic like you say. It just has the history.

Soldato
Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me! 42... Christ, not sure how that has happened?! Still consider myself 'young' (my knees would say otherwise), really does not seem like over half of my life as been after the year 2000! That was only a few years ago wasn't it!? :cry:
Geez. I didn't realise you were that old. At least it makes me feel young - happy birthday :D

Soldato

I don't think they make a lot of difference for general feel assuming you don't have sandpaper level bar tape.

They are likely useful if you have a crash and put your hands out. I know they kinda saved my bacon when I broke my hand some years back... sure the hand broke but I didn't have any sketchy road rash to deal with on the hand itself. I scraped my elbow at the same time ... and it got infected. That wasn't pretty.

Do I wear gloves at the moment? Uhm.. no. Is that wise? Probably not.

Soldato
The only time I’ve enjoyed climbing Alpe d’Huez is first thing in the morning. Later in the day it’s so busy with traffic and it gets brutally hot, plus it’s not particularly scenic like you say. It just has the history.
Did it twice when I did the marmotte and it's quite a forgettable climb really if you took the name away. Luckily first time up was busy with riders but no traffic on the event and I quite enjoyed it as it was the last stretch with everyone else suffering and second I went the back way up the day after then descended down the normal way, it was like a ghost town as every normal person was resting after the day before, but I think I was up and down by about 11.

Soldato
My 'return' to form before the end of June didn't really happen, but knew it would likely take longer. Just riding a little too sporadic at the moment so actually missing some miles. Zwift TTT team didn't even have enough to field a team this week (not that I was riding anyway due to birthday). Did jump on Wednesday night and utterly abuse myself on Bologna. Meant to be 2 ascents/laps but I went too deep the first I just couldn't recover on the flat. Still quite pleased with the power for those 20 mins effort as very much my max effort at the moment, so gives me an FTP around 256W. Even before hols numbers would have been similar - just would've been able to recover it and go again. So in reality I'm not far off, just lacking some top end stamina, bit of a higher HR than I'd like (but doesn't bother me) and unable to recover as fast, or as well at what should be a hard tempo. Did part of a training ride after 'Lactate Shuffle' but died on the final hard interval, which wasn't that surprising after the earlier effort. So I am making a steady comeback, need to do something with some more intensity over the weekend (if I ride the club social) to continue it and get some extra volume in. That'll also help burn a few kg.

@Roady the entry level SPD-SL ones, my mistake!
Wasn't trying to be pedantic and correct you, just trying to clarify and confirm you understood they're quite different. SPD & SPD-SL. The SL are not an upgraded version of SPD, they're utterly different and in no way compatible. The only cross compatibility (which you did mention) is shoes coming with fittings for both '2-bolt' and '3-bolt', so either cleat type can be used. Most shoes do not even have this! :)

Totally down to you, plenty of Pro's don't wear them. I wear them 99.9% of the time mostly for the reasons discussed. Not that I fall off enough to really need protection from road rash but just the mindset of putting them on along with all the other kit for 'protection'. Part of the cycling armour and 'preparation' to ride is choosing which gloves are required/sensible/warm/cool/match my kit. The only times you'll find me gloveless is if the weather is crazily warmer on the afternoon commute than the morning and I forgot to throw some fingerless in my bag.

Geez. I didn't realise you were that old. At least it makes me feel young - happy birthday :D
Haha, only as young as you feel mate! I'm no spring chicken but also don't really consider myself 'middle-aged' yet. I'm still young! I use Tubebook and can read *******.

Happy to compare them if someone tells me how to find them...

One of our group has done AdZ in 58 minutes I think he said, he did a 1:12/13 on the Alp.
I don't see you listed on the Strava leaderboard for the segment when filtering by the OCUK club - https://www.strava.com/segments/17267489/leaderboard?club_id=12099&filter=club

But that's the segment (just chop the leaderboard bit off), on Strava. But I know we discussed before how you'd removed some of your Strava rides...

You can get it from Zwiftpower (as that's pulled from the Zwift API) but I think only if you rode it as part of an event. Also think it only shows results from the last 90 days. Couldn't find a recent Zwift race for you to grab your profile... But if you go onto www.zwiftpower.com, login, then click on 'ZPoints' at the top it'll show your best result on Zwift segments (mine doesn't show anything as not ridden the Alpe since January so is over 90 days). Really do need to revisit, my best time (56 mins) is from 2018! Januarys was 1 hour 11 mins at the end of a long stage of a stage race...

Soldato
@Roady - Yeah I forgot the SPD are the mountain bike ones. She's really not getting along with them though as the cleat is so small. Probably move her to the 3 bolt ones eventually but she she's happy with the shoes.

My Wheels have finally been ordered! Excited to get them at last. I've never built a set of wheels up before. Am I right in thinking the cassette tool I bought for changing the cassette on my Kickr will do the trick when changing over the cassette and disc rotors to the new wheels? One thing I don't have is a torque wrench(?) to tighten it up to 40nm.

Soldato
Went to meet the once a year Bundy 200 today, couldn't face meeting them at 8.30am and I've only started doing 3 your rides the last few weeks so wouldn't last the whole thing.

Old boys are strong AF, I was feeling it even doing 96 miles. It was a bit of who's who of Scottish riders from the past and the last few miles was like a road race.

This boy raised the bar though.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a low/med end GPS unit?

I've been looking at the Garmin 130 plus or 530. My requirements are easy connectivity (ability to upload gpx's), basic sensors, hill climbing feature (climbPro seems ideal) and a good battery life (10hrs+) with decent maps.
Started off looking at the 130 and I ended up buying a 1030 :o

On to saddles.. I popped into my local store and had my sit bones measured, looks like I could benefit from a wider saddle. I understand that it's an individual preference but what brands/styles have worked for those in the saddle for 4+ hours?

Obligatory weekend British countryside pic:

O7oASGj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom